My little DIY camera project - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 12th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #16
Major Player

I'm pretty sure drake was built from the ground up with a custom camera head and embedded hardware and whatnot, so its probably not even cameralink or usb, but i could be wrong.

As for USB, I checked out silicon imaging and lumenera USB camera heads but they seemed to cost a lot more than sumix. Actually steve nordhauser from SI specifically told me usb didnt seem like a good way to do even 720p24 but ive generally been able to get 30+MBps (1536x864@24fps) over USB on my integrated VIA chispet (intel would be even better).

As for other sumix cameras, someone on these forums was playing with their ibis5-based camera (150c) and had some interesting stuff to say about it. It probably wasnt as good for our purposes as drake's implementation of the chip. It appears to have bad color and poor light performance, whereas the m71 sounds great in low light but seems to have smearing so thats why i went with the m73. Theres always fast lenses and gain to improve light performance.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #17
Trustee

I have had lots of time with that 3300 cmos chip, it will not work, the rolling shutter is no good for cinema production or VFX work.

sorry, your doing the same thing I did months ago...
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 05:51 AM   #18
Major Player

That's bad news...So what effect does a rolling shutter have.
Noah, did you already test it enough to see if it's any good?
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel
I'm pretty sure drake was built from the ground up with a custom camera head and embedded hardware and whatnot, so its probably not even cameralink or usb, but i could be wrong.
Yeah, it was enhanced from an existing Camera, the effort was such that I would think it might be the best Ibis5 camera on the market, and much much better than the Sumix. It is unfortunate that the example footage they showed was from an uncolour corrected dream sequence, where it was deliberately dull and lacked colour (to mimic dreaming) and they did not use the 12bit mode and the dual slope latitude enhancement, which would have made elements in certain scenes look twice as good (like flames etc, which looked cool anyway, because of the almost industry leading well capacity of the sensor pads). I wonder when the film is coming out, like to see it locally?
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #20
Major Player

Ok guys, regarding rolling shutter, I've read most of what there is to say about it on these forums. Rolling shutter issues are not inherent to a sensor so much as to the frame time which is just controlled by framerate and blanking as i understand it.

Obin, I know you've worked with this sensor, in fact I went with this camera partly due to your work with the 3300. I know you do not think this sensor is good for motion picture work, but from what I have seen, given significant vertical blanking (high pixel rates and low frame pixel counts) I think it is possible. You were working with more pixels than I intend to. I will use <30MBps out of the 48MBps with all the extra pixel readout going to vertical blanking for less rolling shutter.

I admit camera tracking for vfx might not be possible, but we will see, im hoping rolling shutter will be unnoticeable, i will at least do my best to minimize its effects and i think i can to a level where i can make movies with the camera .
Old December 15th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #21
Major Player

Good luck and keep us posted (or: keep the posts coming). I'm very much interested in the this project and in the general concept of the usb2 or firewire CMOS heads. If anyone can comment on which specs to look out for, which camera types are generally usable.
I know now that the global shutter would be better, but does that effect the cost much?
I also see most of these usb CMOS cameras come with simple software to adjust main settings like frame rate and size, exposure and such. Would this software be sufficient for simple recording or is it strictly designed for industrial machine-vision/whatever it is used for?

EDIT: What's a half global shutter? mentioned on this page:http://www.lumenera.com/industrial/lu205.php

Last edited by Oscar Spierenburg; December 15th, 2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old December 17th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #22
Major Player

While waiting the results from Noah, I've been looking around on the web...would a camera head like this be any good? The price is not as high as I thought it would be.

Last edited by Oscar Spierenburg; December 17th, 2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #23
Major Player

I looked at pixellink's cameras as well. That looks like possibly the IBIS5 (im not aware of that many other 1280x1024 2/3" global cmos's that can do ~48MHz). I mean it might work but then so might sumix's usb version for $700 less. I dont know much about what kind of sdk pixellink provides. Sure does seem like there are only so many cameras out there that do what we want and even fewer sensors.
Old December 21st, 2005, 02:41 AM   #24
New Boot

Noah,

I'm very interested in your camera project.
May I start with a question (in fact, it's more than one)?
Why do you replace the uv/ir filter? Or do you add one? If yes do you place it in front of or behind the lens? Has it arrived yet and do you have pictures to compare? Is there a difference with or without the filter?

Thank you!
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Neun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:19 PM   #25
Major Player

Hey, about the rolling shutter, have you seen this ? (scroll down half way)
It says to 'almost' completely remove the rolling shutter artifact on pans and camera shakes. (not for fast moving objects though) It's designed for the HC1, but maybe it's worth a try.
This makes me wonder if there isn't a plug-in for AE, or other post software, to remove the artifact or hide it in a forced motion blur or something like that.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM   #26
Major Player

Wolfgang
Well the camera came with a screw-in ir filter and i replaced that with a uv/ir filter that goes in front of the lens. I did this partly because i wasnt happy with the performance of the behind-the-lens filter, and it seemed to significantly affect the flange focal length in the c-mount (glass is thicker than air). There is a huge difference with or without one. With, the picture has color, without, the picture is basically monochrome, with inaccurate shading, and twice as bright. I must have some pictures around somewhere with the filter, lemme see what i can do. only problem is i only have internet now at an internet cafe and havent gotten to play with the camera at all in the past few weeks.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:37 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Sounds interesting.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Sumix software querry

I'm following Noah's project closely because, although there have been several previous DIY uncompressed threads here using industrial/scientific cameras, their accumulated costs have still been beyond my reach. I'm sure I'm not alone in having checked out the manufacturers websites, got excited by the camera specs, then finally you get the quote and the dream is all over! For the first time I feel this USB camera is something I could actually afford to experiment with myself, which makes it of more than acedemic interest.

Noah, I checked out the Sumix site and the screenshots of the software look very comprehensive in personalising the camera/capture settings. Can you explain why it doesn't work well for film making?

Happy New Year all.
John.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #29
Major Player

As I think I mentioned a little bit, sumix's standard application doesnt have any really good way of recording video in a useful way. The options are record to avi and save to .smx (or something along those lines). saving to AVI records RGB AVI to hdd, debayering and saving video 3x the size of bayer video, this creates ridiculous hardware limitations since its hard enogh recording uncompressed bayer in real time let alone rgb. saving to .smx records bayer to memory and then saves that to a file. this isnt so bad but records only exactly the number of frames necessary to fill your RAM. These along with being forced to use a mouse and having to choose exposures in milliseconds using a slider and other unfriendly things, make it not the best interface for filmmaking. But perhaps it could be used, and they are things that can be improved upon considering the flexibility of the camera and the api.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #30
Inner Circle

I'm not upto this, but I have suggested in times past, making an Visual interface (Visual C/basic) that pipes commands (command line) to the capture program as if it was a plug-in. So now you have any interface and controls you wish, and th's shuttering. You are basically relying on the softwares Real-time programming, without redoing it yourself. If it works, big "if" then it should be relatively simple, taking a few days after you get to grips with everything needed to be done and understood about the programming process through commands line/piping (or whatever else is available) and the software itself.

To record the bayer, is it possible to save it as a 8 bit grey scale (or one channel) avi then interpret/convert it in the editor/trans-codec?
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods