Letus Image flipping developement - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 20th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #46
Major Player

Ok, makes sense. Thanks Quyen. Is the drilling going to be a delicate operation, possibly screwing up the device? I am pretty handy, but I don't wnat to chance something if I decide to go for it!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #47
New Boot

Just a thougth, and I might be wrong, but for users with a limited budget, won't buying an LCD screen to watch the flipped image in the end be a cheaper solution?
I've seen 6" LCD screens on ebay for $100-150...
Jelle Poupaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #48
Major Player

Jelle,
The image flipper also solves the headache involved in post.
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #49
Major Player

Yes it is quite a headache, I very curious about Quyens new adapter kit. When will we see new footage from the flipper adapter?

Last edited by Tony Tibbetts; December 21st, 2005 at 12:21 AM.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:15 AM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kinney
Jelle,
The image flipper also solves the headache involved in post.
Yeah, but I'm afraid it may also introduce distortion and extra light loss.
Is it really worth it in the end?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:41 AM   #51
Major Player

As for me

Well as for me. I would love to have the add on... BUT is it worth it...
My camera is the PDX10 and works perfect with just the LetusA. I had such a hard time with the zooming in on the GG with everything I tried and I even had the manual to the Micro35 and it just didn't work for me. Also with 1/4.7 chips an extra 1.5-2 stops is a lot... So I might just keep what I have and not do the Add-on..

Flip and deinterlace with V-Dub and it's over... I'll use a mirror to flip the image on the LCD while shooting...

Though I will say the work placed into this Letus Project is incredible and finally someone has flipped the image... Good Job..
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:55 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Gimme the light loss, and if its too bad throw in a Beattie screen. But to for go flipping in post i'll make sure I have adequate lighting.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 11:26 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Can't wait until Quyen comes out with a flipped letus in a single barrel.
Ken Lamug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 01:10 PM   #54
Major Player

Greg, I don't think a moving Beattie would work due to the fresnel lens built into it. You need the diffusion part of the screen minus the fresnel treatment.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:51 PM   #55
Regular Crew

aahhh....yeaahhh...good point:)
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:45 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Quyen

"With the image flipping the light loss is 1.5 stops"

Was the complete unit loses 1.5 stops, or the flipping part only, loses that much of light.
Maheel Perera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:04 PM   #57
Major Player

When I said 1.5 stop, it's light loss for the whole unit with GG in place. Thanks.

Quyen
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:45 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Bob Hart

Quyen.

Just a thought.

At one stage, I was contemplating publishing my erecting (image flipping) device, a much larger and clunkier design using a CD size disk, but being a lesser mortal than yourself, was frightened off by the possibility of being nailed for patent infringement.

My intention was to make drawing files and print them to .pdf files which work on Windows, Mac and Linux. Then they could be printed off by the end-user onto sticky labels to be used as cut-through and drill-through patterns, then pulled off afterwards. Alternatviely the printed labels could be supplied to the end user.

Many printers these days are sufficiently accurate to make 1:1 patterns and it is a method I have already used with my own Agus designs. Two such are Canon BJC-7100 and the excellent Lexmark Optra S1250 and related product family.

You may be able to assist your end users by providing patterns to stick onto their existing devices to accurately mark the drillholes.

Providing they make accurate pilot holes and use depth stops on the drill bits and maybe a little grease or margarine on the bits to catch the dust and chips, my guess is the average home-builder capable or working to the thickness of a ballpoint pen line should not have a problem.

With regard GGs coming apart in transit, I suggest you might examine using two adhesives, one a soft silicone to dampen vibration, to be laid along outer edges and the main fixer being UV curable adhesive where there is face contact between the gg and the frame.

No doubt you have already thought of it but here it is anyway. After making your gg's, if they are glass, dress the outer edges to smooth off the pits and chips and chamfer the edge corners. This should eliminate some stress risers which might otherwise contribute to the glass cracking.

I have used common water clean-up white bathroom sealer for fixing the disk to hub - not relevent in your application - and pin spots of Loctite 358 UV curing adhesive. Should you decide to alter your design to glueing your two prisms together, the Loctite should also work.

Just a few thoughts.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:49 AM   #59
Major Player

Well put Bob, bravo
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 06:00 AM   #60
Trustee

Has anybody got their new Letus35 with flipping feature and have any comments on the image and built quality? Does it still have the problem with dust and specs coming from the cheap plastic parts? Is it still made on plastic parts inside? How is the image quality with the prism system, any noticeable extra distortion and aberrations?
It would be great to see some footage.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods