Letus Image flipping developement - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 27th, 2005, 02:59 AM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Has anybody got their new Letus35 with flipping feature and have any comments on the image and built quality? Does it still have the problem with dust and specs coming from the cheap plastic parts? Is it still made on plastic parts inside? How is the image quality with the prism system, any noticeable extra distortion and aberrations?
It would be great to see some footage.
Yes, I agree. Footage? Anyone? Hello?
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quyen Le
I am start shipping this unit. $600 for the final price. Betatesters should email me for price and instructions, below is the first video of the first unit sending out. Just a test video to show the unit's work. No special lighting. Thanks.

Quyen

http://hadleymedia.com/35mm.mov

u guys might have missed this...unless somethings have changed since that post and you are waiting for newer footage or something of that like...
Justin Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #63
Major Player

Quyen is shipping me the new package today or tomorrow. I'll be throwing it to the test immediately on a feature we're currently working on. Within the next couple of weeks I'll try to get some footage samples up. We've got access to plenty of light so that shouldnt be an issue. Shooting with DVX100a's.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #64
Regular Crew

dangit!
now i have to come up with another $300 dollars!
but, hell, its worth it!
R.P. Cuenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 06:59 AM   #65
Trustee

I wonder how the new Letus compares to the MPIC. Has anybody actually got one of Dan's adapters? I wonder if the Letus can beat the image quality and low light performance of the MPIC. My guess is no.
It’s obvious it can’t beat the MPIC in construction quality, but it would be interesting to see a comparison in image quality.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #66
Major Player

As far as image flippage, that is what I had in Sept 2004. "grandpa" of MPIC:
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album02/IMGA0078
Mirror and pentaprism from Minolta X-700.
As for the rest, looks like Steev is to busy to post here so, I will take the liberty to let you read some bits from the emails I got so far. However, I will not post on his thread:
http://homepage.mac.com/holyzoo1/PhotoAlbum20.html
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #67
Major Player

Just recieved mine. Have to give it a try out hopefully this weekend. Built solid but has a little dust inside someplace - shouldnt be a problem getting out though.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM   #68
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hughes
Just recieved mine. Have to give it a try out hopefully this weekend. Built solid but has a little dust inside someplace - shouldnt be a problem getting out though.
So how many more have got the new version with flipping? Is the dust and plastic spec problem not finally solved? That was always the biggest turn down in the Letus35 for me. I don't want to have to open my unit every week to clean it up. As I understand it, the problem was not only that the unit wasn't properly sealed and allowed dust in, but also plastic specs that came from the plastic support for the GG. Is this all solved or not? I hope you are the only one who got it that way, I always found that an unacceptable quality control problem.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:10 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
So how many more have got the new version with flipping? Is the dust and plastic spec problem not finally solved? That was always the biggest turn down in the Letus35 for me. I don't want to have to open my unit every week to clean it up. As I understand it, the problem was not only that the unit wasn't properly sealed and allowed dust in, but also plastic specs that came from the plastic support for the GG. Is this all solved or not? I hope you are the only one who got it that way, I always found that an unacceptable quality control problem.
Then by a mini35 or an mpic. Seriously a little spec for 650 or a flip for 11g's choice is yours but until Quyen moves into a climate controlled ISO900 manufacturing facility you are gonna be shit out of luck. The sad thing is i'll have to continue to read your questions until that time.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:17 PM   #70
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bates
Then by a mini35 or an mpic. Seriously a little spec for 650 or a flip for 11g's choice is yours but until Quyen moves into a climate controlled ISO900 manufacturing facility you are gonna be shit out of luck. The sad thing is i'll have to continue to read your questions until that time.
Just skip the post when you see my name in the left side of it and your problems are over, as simple as that.

But for the record, your ISO900 excuse was pretty lame. All the "affordable" adapters are made in similar conditions and the Letus is the only one reported of being plaged with the dirt (dust and plastic speck) problem. I'm pretty sure the M2, SG35 and G35 are not made in ISO900 facilities. My question is a fair one.

Last edited by Michael Maier; January 4th, 2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:22 PM   #71
Trustee

Greg, I think that's unneccessary...

Dirt is a fairly easy problem to solve. You don't need a cleanroom--ISO900 or whatever--simply because the tiny specks of dust that cleanrooms provide for don't show up on video anyway. It's the dark black specks of plastic that flake off the parts of the Letus as it's inserted into the tube. I simply cleaned all the plastic parts with rubbing alcohol and blasted away with compressed air. I didn't get specks in my unit for weeks, and then I sent my unit away so Quyen could upgrade the mount to a metal one. He's since sealed it shut on that end and given the whole thing a clean bill of health. Works nicely.

And actually Michael, the G35 is constructed in a cleanroom. Ask John for details.
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #72
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Ben Winter]Greg, I think that's unneccessary...

Dirt is a fairly easy problem to solve. You don't need a cleanroom--ISO900 or whatever--simply because the tiny specks of dust that cleanrooms provide for don't show up on video anyway. It's the dark black specks of plastic that flake off the parts of the Letus as it's inserted into the tube. I simply cleaned all the plastic parts with rubbing alcohol and blasted away with compressed air. I didn't get specks in my unit for weeks, and then I sent my unit away so Quyen could upgrade the mount to a metal one. He's since sealed it shut on that end and given the whole thing a clean bill of health. Works nicely.

You're right Ben I will avoid reading Mike's posts in the future.

Last edited by Greg Bates; January 4th, 2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #73
Regular Crew

Same as above.

Last edited by Greg Bates; January 4th, 2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #74
Micro35

Correction, Redrock's manufacturing facility is Certified ISO 9001 : 2000.
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hurd
Correction, Redrock's manufacturing facility is Certified ISO 9001 : 2000.
I knew it was one of those ISO's, I remeber seeing the pictures of the facility. Impressive to say the least.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods