The Upside Down Thing - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 6th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #16
Major Player

The heavens have opened up, and now I see the light. It makes sense if you correlate a point on the LCD with a point on the CCD and follow them along.

I was clearly mistaken.....there is no magical flip function, just a guy(s) with a neuronal block. HA.

I stand entirely edubicated.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #17
Major Player

So there is no flip function on the cam?
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #18
Major Player

Nope, the only flip function is in the brain of the guy who called it a flip function...er, me. Rotating the cam upside down displays the image in the LCD as right side up...as it should. I just took David's suggestion of following the points correlated to CCD top and LCD top. It makes sense....but it's not intuitive.

The funny thing is, no one else except you guys picked up on that! Thanks for setting me (and soon a few more folks) straight....(shakes head, egg on face). Geez, I was even looking in schematics for mercury switches...ackk.

One thing though I can say for sure...you can't flip the GS400 LCD with a magnet. The switch that flips the LCD when you rotate it forward must be in the hinge itself...it doesn't show up on the factory service drawings for the LCD in the bezel, or the chassis.
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #19
Major Player

Yeah, i think where people have gone wrong, is they imagine that when they rotate the camera upsidedown, the image rotates with it, but it does not.

The GS400 is a panny isnt it? My panny (nvds-30) is the same and does not work with the magnet trick either...
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #20
Major Player

Wayne Kinney, you've got to be the most ignorant guy on here. do you even own a camcorder? maybe if you do, you should flip it upside down and watch it. these guys are telling you what happens with the camcorder, and your like, "no, thats not right". jeez bro, make and adapter, and buy a camera. figure it out for yourself.
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #21
Major Player

Forrest,
Hehe, yes i own a camcorder, and as you see Dennis now agrees with David MD Smith's original statement, which is correct.

Flip your camocrder upside down, Forrest, and the image is still upright when you view it in this orientation (without adapter attached). Attach adapter, and the image appears upsidedown on the LCD from the operators view.

Give it a go Forrest, and you will see what we are talking about.
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #22
Major Player

yes, i have given it a go, and im sorry, i only read the 1st page before i posted my comment, so i hadnt read the outcome. But i just wonder why everyone had to just talk about what is already known. theres no way around it, putting the apapter on makes everythng inverted. because our cameras were built without the ability to do another flip. or take away the standard flip that every ccd does. that would be cool. but would require hacking.
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #23
Major Player

Forrest, Wayne's the SG35 creator. I've eaten crow on this one...Dan and Wayne have it right. The easiest way to visualize this is to point your cam at a scene. Picture a point at the top of the CCD, and the top of the LCD and mentally lock them together. Now rotate the cam.....the two points are now visually at the bottom of the LCD frame. This is completely not intuitive....but it makes sense if you check out Dan's diagram, and visualize the points.

If this was a church, I'd be getting baptized about now :-) I'm now a believer. I'm also to blame for the thread misdirection :-(
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #24
Major Player

Forrest,
hehe, all is cool. I think we all wanted this flip feature. If only there was a realtime flip feature 'in cam' that just flipped the image before dv compression, as to appear correct on the LCD and tape. But what average Joe wants that?
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #25
Major Player

actually wayne is correct, you can notice the characters are upside down, but the image is correctly right, but recorded 180 degress upsidedown.

if you put the adaptor, you will record it ok, but still see it upside down.

the best solution is to buy a cheap $49 lcd and attach it to the camera, and put it upside down.
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #26
Major Player

Agus! My god, are you back?!?!?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #27
Major Player

A celebrity in our midst...
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #28
Major Player

Just buy one of those ps2 lcds or a magnavox like agus said. they are about 50 bucks, and you can rotate it how you please. plus they are larger than most camcorder lcds.
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #29
Major Player

ps2 LCD? Anyone has a link?
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #30
Major Player

Well, heres a real Ps2 lcd
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sony-Playsta...QQcmdZViewItem

but im thinking more another style
this is the older ps1 and i like it better

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-PS1-MONITER...QQcmdZViewItem

and if your'e creative like me, youll strip the cover off and take away the speakers. And put it in a more simpler box frame. either metal or plastic. and wa la!
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods