The Upside Down Thing - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM   #46
Major Player

http://dvxuser.com/articles/35/

article about 35mm adapter shootout. conducted by the dvxuser.com crew.
If yours is the 700 dollar advanced version. then you are probally correct.

here is a quote of one section:

" Letus35 Flip

Quyen Le has done something quite remarkable for the indie film maker by creating an affordable adapter that rids the need of having to flip monitors up side down or having to flip footage in post. It's unfortunate that the particular unit we tested appeared to be defective in that the GG (or mirror) was out of alignment, but I believe that if an end user were to purchase from him, and that was the case, he'd make it right as soon as possible. That said, the Letus35 Flip loses a considerable amount of light ... even with the GG/mirror issue corrected, our estimates would be approximately 3+ stops.

In looking at the Quyen's web site, it appears that some of our concern with the Letus35 Flip have already been addressed in an "advanced" version, which has also increased in price by $100, to a total of $700. This is no small sum of change, but Quyen is also reporting only 1.5 stops of light loss with it, as well as an improved GG. I've yet to see this improved adapter, but I'm interested to say the least. If we get a chance to test it, I'll update the results here as well, as I will for the SG35 Pro. "
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Has anyone tried using that it's upside down to their advantage? From looking in drawing books, it's recommened to try tracing a picture while it is upside down. This kicks your right brain in which sees the lines and forms.

-Adam Keen
Adam Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Keen
From looking in drawing books, it's recommened to try tracing a picture while it is upside down.
interresting what they recommend to drawers? like drawing with shallow depth of field? :)
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #49
Major Player

I just found a little program for mac that will let you preview and capture an image flip flopped.

http://www.bensoftware.com/capturemate/

you can use your mac laptop to preview and or capture a flip flopped image on the fly.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Schultz
http://dvxuser.com/articles/35/

article about 35mm adapter shootout. conducted by the dvxuser.com crew.
If yours is the 700 dollar advanced version. then you are probally correct.
I dont know anything about an advanced version, but mine is the flip enhanced, which is not the same unit in the article you posted. I mentioned in my last post that you might be referring to the "non-enhanced" version to clarify things, but that didnt seem to work.

1.5 stops might be too much depending on your shooting situation, and you might not be able to afford $700. I personally have found the flip to be worth every penny and aside from from a little more grain than i'd like, its a great little tool and an admirable performer inside and out.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #51
Regular Crew

What would happen if you put the adapter on upside down.... Is it even possible... I've never used a 35mm adapter so I couldn't know for sure... If you put it on upside down wouldn't it go into the camera right side up? The only thing I see having to mod would be the rods.
Andrew McCarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #52
Major Player

Andrew McCarrick. haha, please dont think i am laughing at you. but its the thought of the simplicity of that solution that is very funny.

but no, its not the adapter that is making the image upside down, but the light coming from the 35mm lens is upside down. before it hits the Ground glass. if you rotate the groundglass, the light is still hitting the same way it was before. rotating the glass wont bend the light with it. so the image will stay upside down all the time.

Please dont feel as if you dont get something that others do. I hope i have not offended you. When building new adapters, i still have the urge to rotate the adapter and glass, thinking it will bring it backaround correctly.
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #53
Trustee

The image doesn't flip by turning the adaptor upside down. The upside down thing is an optics thing. I've made my own and the first thing people try to do when they see the image on the ground glass is try to turn it over to get the image to flip. It's very interesting to watch.
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Okay... I just didn't know.... This is coming from somebody that's never touched a 35mm adapter or owned a prosumer camera for the matter.
Andrew McCarrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods