HD100u and P+S Technik Lens Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 13th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #1
Major Player

HD100u and P+S Technik Lens Question

When they did that test a while back with the JVC HD100u and the PS technik adapter(the test that has its own article on dvinfo.net) What kind of lens did they use between the adapter and the camcorder? thank you for help in advance.
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Forrest,

The beauty of the P+S Technik Mini35 is that it doesn't require a lens between itself and the camcorder. The relay lens is already built right in to the Mini35. You've looked at the photos from this test, right? As you can see, there is no lens between the adapter and the camera:

http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/jvcp...ini35test3.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #3
Major Player

i know what you are saying, but what is inbetween the empty bayonet mount of the HD100u and the PStechnik. i mean, the dvx's lens is built in. but with the hd100u, you can swap lenses. what bayonet camera lens did the hd100u guys choose to use? thank you
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Forrest,

I apologize for the miscommunication.

In your original post, you had asked, "what kind of lens did they use between the adapter and the camcorder." The answer is that there is no lens between the adapter and the camcorder. The P+S Technik Mini35 mounts directly to the front of the HD100. There is nothing between the camera and the Mini35.

If you are asking, what 35mm motion picture lens is attached to the business end of the Mini35, well that is covered in the article, but I'll repeat it here. It is a 27mm Cooke S4 prime lens. For more info, please see the article at this link:

http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/jvcp...ini35test1.php

Everything else you see in the photos, from the front of the HD100 body to the back of that 27mm Cooke prime lens, all belongs to the P+S Technik Mini35. Please let me know whether or not that answers your question. If it helps, here are some more photos of the Mini35 together with the HD100:

http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=17

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #5
Major Player

thank you for your help again, and sorry for being unclear.

My intention was to ask how does the hd100u focus its ccds onto the gg of the Mini35. normal cameras like the dvx have a fixed lens, and all we have to do is add a macro in front of it and zoom in. the hd100u has a detachable lens, meaning, whats the best way to combine zoom and macro to be able to focus on the GG. so Chris, are those pictures showing that the Hd100u has NO baynot lens attached between its CCD's and the Mini35? how is this possible to use A GG without any macro and zoom lens for the camcorder to control. I dont mean about the cine lenses, but that you for that info also. i hope im being clear. thank you for all your help Chris.
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Trustee

The answer is likely in the P+S relay lens for the HD100u itself. I use the XL2 which as you know has no fixed camera lens. My relay lens incorporates a manual iris (handy for controlling light) which also has a lens magnifier inside - likely a macro lens.

I would assume that the P+S connecting kit for the JVC also uses similar construction.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, it is almost identical to the relay lense for the XL cameras. The relay lenses are basically fixed-focus lenses that are built specifically to focus in on the "flat" plane of the image resolving on the ground glass.

http://www.madmojo.com
Production blog.
Eric MacIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:18 AM   #8
Major Player

thank you Dennis and Eric. how do they make sure that the camera is zoomed up all the way onto the frame? is that within the relay lens? thank you
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:11 AM   #9
Wrangler

Each relay lens (for a given camera) is the exact focal length needed to properly frame the image on the ground glass. There's no zoom. There's a specific relay lens for the XL-1/2, and a different specific one for the HD100.

The relay lens also has an iris so you can run the taking lens wide open, while still being able to control the amount of light reaching the chips. This iris is not calibrated in F or T stops, it just has an arbitrary scale for your own reference.
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:37 PM   #10
New Boot

JVC GY100H + mini35 HANDHELD??

Hi,
I am going to shoot a feature documentary next month in the middle east. My plan are shooting with the JVC GY 100H mounted with the mini35 + 2 zoom PL mount. My concern is more about the ergonomy and the leigthness of my kit than the pure quality of the signal ( some are telling me I sould go with the Xdcam as it can run at 50mgb). The fact is I wont have any camera assistant with me so with the Xdcam option, I’ll be forced to leave without any pro35 and 35mm zoomlens( it is going to be far to heavy and I need to be very light).
Now my question is the following. Is there anyone having HANDHELD shooting experience with this package? Did you use a micro force rig? If not how did you work with this package (without the handel of the basic INGzoom made by fujinon). And if you think my choice of package is not realistic for this kind of projet, please tell me why, I still have few days to turn around and find something better. Thank you
Tobie Marier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:00 PM   #11
Tourist

Whats up everybody

Im thinking of buying the mini35 for the HD100U... However i am not a 100 percent on this yet. Apart from some impressive samples that i've seen on this site, i havent seen any other footage anywhere else.

My primary reason for buying it would be to shoot music videos overseas, and from my calculations the mini35 plus some Cooke Primes would definitely cost me a few gees wich i am willing to spend... but im only willing to spend that much if i know i can shoot some MTV quality videos, and what i mean by that is i want to know if i can achieve the look of any video i see on MTV and will the footage look like a bigscreen movie or will it just have that soap opera look lol.

Or should i just aim for a film camera?
Joseph Lika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:53 AM   #12
Trustee

Forrest - since the stock lenses of the Canon XL2 or JVC HD100 are removed, there is no zooming required. The relay lens from the mini35 ensures the image lands onto the CCD block perfectly. For other cameras like Sony or Panasonic YES you do have to zoom around until the image fits properly.

Joseph - True there isn't a lot of footage floating around with that combo however any look you try and achieve for a music video in my opinion is going to be done in post. HD gives you high resolution, the mini35 gives you 35mm depth of field... the rest really is up to you. :)

Check out a short film shot ONLYwith a DVX100 an no mini35: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45234

A guy using the Sony FX1 and homemade 35mm adapter: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=51999

Perfect examples of two separate projects, one with a 35mm adapter and one without - yet both are highly cinematic pieces of work that were treated in post in order to obtain its look.

The real question isn't about the mini35, HD100u, XL2, shooting on film, etc... the real question is if you will be the cinematographer then who will be doing the post?
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Lika
want to know if i can achieve the look of any video i see on MTV and will the footage look like a bigscreen movie or will it just have that soap opera look lol.
It's the D.P. who creates the look, not the gear. if you aren't already making stuff that looks 90% of "the MTV look", dropping $50,000 on a Mini35 and set of S4s is not going to make it happen for you.
Old March 30th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #14
Sponsor: ZGC

Hello Tobie,

I am not keeping track of this site often enough, even though you probably have made your decision since you posted this, I will address your questions none the less.
You must have found out that PL zooms are some of the biggest and heaviest lenses out there, they are not suitable for handheld. You would have to add a strong and heavy support to avoid damage to the mounts. Using a 35mm adaptor for your project is an added difficulty as you say you will not have an assistant with you. Pulling focus is very critical in that configuration and attempting it while operating the camera is not likely give you satisfactory results. It sounds to me that you would be better off with the original camera package.
Old April 7th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Guy answered it - BUT, there are a "few" small zooms out there... Century Optics rehouses Nikons... Haven't tried one, but they look interesting. Of course, you could also you a still camera zoom - Canon, Nikon, etc.. May fit the bill.... But run'n gun, you're still having to deal with a tight depth of field that might be better suited w/ a 2/3 or 1/3" camera.

http://www.madmojo.com
Production blog.
Eric MacIver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods