Homemade Digibeta Direct-to-disk Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Homemade Digibeta Direct-to-disk Camera

Can anyone identify the parts of this camera, click on the link and scroll to the bottom, and look at the camera at the right that says Homemade Digibeta direct to disk. there is a picture of it

http://www.pixelmonger.com/hg_cam.html

I am amazed but i cannot find any more information about this camera, except for this link which shows his tests shots of an xl-1 compared to the bottom screen grab

http://pixelmonger.com/graphicref194

The picture at the bottom is a grab from his homedmade digitbeta camera. Amazing. here is a link to the original thread this link was included in.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=26686

i was hoping someone had more knowledge of it or can identify the parts he used in making it, and can identify the items in the picture, minus the lens. on the page with the pic of the camera it says, read sept DV mag articile for more information. but i do not know of what Sept DV mag they are talking about. Thanks
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

scott billups talks more extensively about building and using this camera in his book, "digital moviemaking"--it's pretty good, worth a look.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Major Player

thank you, i just ordered it now.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Does anyone else know anything about this camera. the test grabs look really sweet.
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Meryem, could you tell me where in the book i can find info about it. i only have the first edition. and i cannot find much about it,except in the intro. but not even a sentance. did i need to get the second edition? thank you very much
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Wrangler

oops, forrest, i'm really sorry. i did read about this, but it wasn't in the book (although he alludes to this camera in the book). it's a good book, though, even if the 1st edition (i have the 2nd) is probably a bit dated.

dv.com is the magazine billups refers to, and here is a link to the article where he talks about his homemade camera:

http://dv.com/news/news_item.jhtml?L...03/billups0903

you need to register at the dv.com site to access it. and the title, which gives nothing away, is "Re-creating Krakatoa and Avoiding Self-Inflicted Wounds"

sorry for the confusion of my brain. i hope it wasn't a total waste of $$....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Is it worth it for DVD's

Ok, As me and the Boss talk about maybe making a d-beta, is it really worth the extra effert if all your gonna do it burn to a dvd anyway? We already have 2 XL-2's and a real mini35, so is going the extra mile for the 4:2:2 and compress to the 4:2:0, 6 megabit MPG2 dvd really gonna matter?

I don't think so? What do you think?
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #8
Major Player

If you've got 2 XL-2s and a real mini35 I wouldn't bother at all. You've already got great resolution in the progressive imaging of the XL-2, and with a mini35 you've got great options in terms of depth of field. While the idea of making your own HD cam this way is interesting I don't know that it's very practical.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
so is going the extra mile for the 4:2:2 and compress to the 4:2:0, 6 megabit MPG2 dvd really gonna matter?
Is it worth it to shoot in HDV if you're just going to downres to SD? Of course it is, it's "big fish in the small pond" picture quality argument, and it works.
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #10
Major Player

Digibeta-isn't High Def

Digibeta-isn't High Def... BUT... It's the best of Standard def, equal to DVCPRO-50. And HDV buy the way doesn't have the color of 4:2:2 either unless it's the Panasonic DVCPRO-hdv 100 megabit. As far as the math goes... HDV is compressed 3 times as much as standard DV and holds 3 times more info on a inferior compression scheme... Again unless your talking about the DVCPRO-hdv 100 megabit....

Anyway just thought I would clarify about this format being standard def and not High Def....
Old March 11th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #11
Major Player

It looks like a sony dxc-d30-50 series mated to an adapter that outputs the component signal to a sdi converter box. It's not really all that special. You could put a dvcam or beta back on the same head and achieve comparable results without the tether. Those dxc series cameras have about a megapixel per chip vs the xl1s's 270k. There's a reason it was compared to an xl1 and not beta or dvcam and it was that the difference would be more noticeable. I'm sure that direct to disc offers some advantage but at what cost? This guy has to run around with a computer and a raid capable of 270mbps at least equal in price to a dsr-1 or beta back. Don't be decieved because it's looks homemade, that's 40,000 worth of equipment including the lens, not even factoring the time spent in R&D. These dudes, and I salute them, will be the first to tell you that something like this isn't cheap. They do it TO do it, just to create something unique and see a vision fulfilled. If I built a bichin' DIY camera Believe that I'd be braggin' about it too, but if you want a good looking camera on the cheap buy yourself an XL2 and actually go out and shoot something instead of spending a year building it.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods