Searching for The Complete Package at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 25th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Searching for The Complete Package

I'd like to jump into the 35mm adapter game... and I've been doing a bunch of searching and reading.

1. I have an HVX200, but no idea what adapter I will buy (budget is less than $2k). How many are out there now? Ten? Do I get a static unit, a vibrating unit, an oscillating unit, a holographic unit? It'd be nice to have the option of switching from a 35mm SLR mount (be it Nikon, Canon, or whatever) to a PL mount (in case breathing is an issue and the budget allows for renting a cinema lens).

2. Still unsure about lenses... I love Canon's line (have a Canon SLR and DSLR), but I've been warned about an aperture issue... that the lenses have to be attached to a Canon body to adjust the aperture (is this right?).

3. As far as the rods system, I'm leaning towards the multi-functional Zacuto rod/baseplate. I like the idea of mounting batteries, wireless mic receivers, monitor, whatever BEHIND the camera (yeah, I know it will be a heavy rig... but the run 'n gun rig will be trimmed down).

4. I'm looking at several follow focus units. I'd like to get something as good as the Arri, but not so expensive... and it obviously has to be somewhat universal to work with non-cinema lenses.

5. Then comes the matte box. I think a rods-mounted 2 stage non-swingaway will be fine, but this also must be compatible with non-cinema lenses. As in, multiple sizes of bellows (rubber?) must be available to fit whatever lens I throw on there. Furthermore, it'd be nice if this matte box were flexible enough to also work with the HVX200 without an adapter.

I don't expect there to be a consensus answer, but a few pointers like "don't get X, because of reason Y" would be helpful.
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You have an HD cam, so a static adapter will show too much grain.

Some options are: Brevis, Letus, or M2. Brevis would be my pick, for being compact, light, durable, and upgradeable. The others like M2 or letus may be better if you are low on cash, or need more mount choices (m2).

For a follow focus, JBK cinequipt has some affordable ones, ranging from $500 to $1800. http://www.jbkcine.com/AGHVX200.JPG

hope that helps..
Solomon Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The oscillators presently on the market are limited to a shutter of 1/50 or 1/60. If you want to use high shutter speeds without the grain showing you will probably need to go for a spinner like the SGPro or the M2.
Andy Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #4
Major Player

Has anyone done a comparison test with several adapters? That would pretty much seal the deal for me.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I think people at DVXUser are going to do a big adapter test in the near future. I think M2 didn't want to participate for some reason though.
Mikko Parttimaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gordon
The oscillators presently on the market are limited to a shutter of 1/50 or 1/60. If you want to use high shutter speeds without the grain showing you will probably need to go for a spinner like the SGPro or the M2.
I sure hope that's not true. I did 1/250 with my Letus a while back, so that would mean that footage shouldn'tve existed, and the universe will implode the next time I watch it :)
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I own the Redrock M2 and am very pleased with it. Although I have not had the chance to use any of the other adapters out there, from looking at the tests DVXuser did with the Letus and SG35 ( http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=50590 ) and reading Showreel's article on using HDV on the set of 24 ( http://www.showreel.org/memberarea/article.php?172 ) as well as my own experience with the M2, I'd say that it's one of the best. I'll respond to your concerns as they pertain to the M2.

1. The M2 has an interchangeable lens mount system. Redrock offers a variety of lens mounts, including Nikon, Canon FD, Canon EOS, and PL, to name a few.

2. I already had a few EOS mount lenses before purchasing the M2, so I bought their EOS mount.
"the lenses have to be attached to a Canon body to adjust the aperture"
That is correct for EOS lenses. I think some FD lenses have a mechanical aperture control. I also bought a EOS to Nikon mount adapter that allows me to use Nikon lenses on the EOS mount. Some used Nikons are very nice and can be purchased pretty cheap, plus they have a mechanical aperture control.

3. Redrock's rod system is great, but if you want to use Zacuto stuff, check this out: http://www.zacuto.com/redrock.htm

4. I own Redrock's follow focus. It works very nicely. Redrock offers 3-4 different lens gears that can be adapted to most lenses. However, I don't think the current follow focus works with cinema lenses, but they claim to be working on one that does. You may want to verify that with a Redrock employee.

5. I have the Vocas/Century DV MKII Wide angle mattebox. With the rod mount adapter and flexible light ring kit it is pretty much perfect for use with the M2. See this post: http://dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?...82&postcount=4

Hope that helps.
Colton Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
I sure hope that's not true. I did 1/250 with my Letus a while back, so that would mean that footage shouldn'tve existed, and the universe will implode the next time I watch it :)

Haha... I'm surprised you didn't get horrible angular rotating grain. But it also depends on your gg, one that diffuses properly with larger grain will certainly be limited to low shutter speeds on a coin vibrator on struts type design. I thought you had grain problems with your Letus when you tried to improve the gg Ben?

I ran into image wobble problems at higher shutter speeds as well. Oscillators can make your tripod vibrate.
Andy Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #9
Trustee

The first GG Quyen sent me had grain issues. Mind you, this was back when Quyen was selling his Letus units on ebay for $180. When I broke it, he sent me another one and that was a lot better. And of course after I replaced the screen with the Beattie all grain issues melted away. But yes, there were oscillation problems too.
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #10
Trustee

I want to mention that I'm selling my Century Optics +7 Achromat in the classifieds section. Good way to pimp out your adapter if you have a DIY or an older Letus.
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:11 PM   #11
Major Player

1. Waiting to see a shootout between the more affordable adapters (SGpro, M2, Letus35, etc.) before I decide to buy one of those. If such a comparison test isn't made before the upcoming project(s) that may require an adapter, I'll probably rent a mini35 (the movietube seems too bulky and weird) or buy one if the budget allows for it.

2. I'm going with Nikon lenses, but hopefully the adapter I get will allow for switching mounts.

5. (out of order for a reason...) I'm going with the Chrosziel mattebox (450-01). It's a two stage that can take both 4x4 and 4x5.65 filters. The retailer I'm buying it from has packaged it with the rods/baseplate, so I'll go with that until I need a sturdier support system for V-mount or A/B batteries. This mattebox comes with a bunch of different donuts for multiple lenses and it will work with the stock HVX lens.

3. When a sturdier support system is needed, I'll likely go with the Zacuto. But if I buy a mini35, I'll use their support system (they have all kinds of brackets and such).

4. The Arri and Chrosziel (not the DV one) follow focus units are nice, but too expensive (close to $3k). Decided to go with the Cinetech unit, but wasn't sure about something - it uses a rubber BELT? Does this cause much backlash? How durable is it? How often would it need replacement?

3 out of 5 figured out. Not bad.
Old July 31st, 2006, 03:55 PM   #12
New Boot

geardear mattebox

Hi Sam,
maybe you should have a look on the geardear mattebox www.geardear.com . Itīs versatile on every lens diameter (with step up rings), has rods support (if you want), is height adjustable (you need for the HVX200), is modular (you can start with a small package and buy new stages later), itīs for 4x4" and for 4x5.65" and itīs worth the price.
And itīs a new brand, developing new equipment every day...
Gerhard
Gerhard Hirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:17 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
However, I don't think the current follow focus works with cinema lenses, but they claim to be working on one that does. You may want to verify that with a Redrock employee.
Woops, I was wrong here. The Redrock follow focus does work with cinema lenses, but some smaller ones may require one of the Redrock gear rings. See this thread for more info: http://www.redrockmicro.com/forum/vi...751&highlight=
Colton Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #14
Major Player

Rods, baseplate, mattebox, and lens support from Cavision. The follow focus is an old Arri single-sided... beefy and doesn't use gear belts. I have 4 Nikon lenses (28mm F2.8, 50mm F1.2, 105mm F2.5, & 135mm F2.8) that I bought from keh.com for about $500. Lens gears from RedRock. The adapter is coming...

Though lighter than expected, I've got my eyes out for a beefier head/tripod.
Attached Thumbnails
Searching for The Complete Package-35mmadapterrig.jpg  
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #15
Major Player

Andy, we've been working pretty hard on the issues you described and they've all been reduced significantly, or eliminated altogether on the Rev2 Brevis units :-) We've had zero noise or vibration complaints related to the new systems...they're very quiet.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods