Canon Ee-s Screen evaluation (and good value static design) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 14th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #31
Major Player

250D achromatic close up lens

I just tested HVX200 and EE-S screen with Canon`s 58mm 250D and 500D achromats.
Both of those achtomats were small, it means with 58mm threads.
First off 500D doesn`t let you focus as close as 250D.
With 250D macro HVX was able to fill the full 35mm frame but image had little bit soft corners.
See a frame grab here. I was holding that printed office paper sheet by hand in front of the lens so maybe some of the softness is because of that, centre to bottom right corner is quite sharp.

One more grab here. Still little bit soft.
I really don`t know how those $400 achromats can stand such tests? As far as I know even the Redrock`s achromat is soft from the corners when used wide open.

One other thing to mention that with 19mm ultrawide it has some vignetting but I haven`t seen any adapter footage that hasn`t it with full 19mm coverage.

BTW, HVX was wide open and at max gain.

Best Regards,
T

Last edited by Toenis Liivamaegi; September 14th, 2006 at 10:17 AM.
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:55 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi
One other thing to mention that with 19mm ultrawide it has some vignetting but I haven`t seen any adapter footage that hasn`t it with full 19mm coverage.
You mean Canon 19/3.5 ?
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #33
Major Player

I have Tokina 19-35mm f3.5

T
Old September 17th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #34
Regular Crew

One update on the focussing on the ground glass issue with the Sony FX1. With a 3 dioptries achromat I can get a full frame image of the GG at 30cm closest distance. This is fully zoomed in (focal length of 54mm).
The hotspot is gone ... but unfortunately this distance is completely impractical for building a short setup, which was my intention. Even if I fold the path of light with mirrors twice to rotate the image, it still is too long.
Thomas Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #35
Major Player

One unfortunate thing with EE-S screen is that it has some kind of microlens pattern showing up in bokeh and lens flare areas fom time to time.

>> See the lens flare sample here <<

I quess it`s because this screen doesn`t have random microlens construction as EE-A does. I quess most of us doesn`t shoot straight up to sun tough.

>> See how bokeh acts here <<

Best regards,
T
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #36
Major Player

Yeah, there is drawn out that microlens arrays act as any other GG. You can experience such thing with optosigma and nikon screens as well but just pattern is random kind as there is random grinding done.

Movie with out of focus image isn't that bad.

I just wonder Toenis, did You use there Your biaxial vibra system?
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #37
Major Player

Frank, Yes, I did use my vibra system there but forgot to clean it as you can see...

T
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:13 AM   #38
Major Player

what is approximate frequency You use there?
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #39
Major Player

Frank, It`s somewhere between 60-100Hz.

T
Old October 30th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #40
Major Player

OK, I have some quite good static EE-S screen SD samples here for evaluation: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=78492

T
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #41
Major Player

Just wanted to show the worst case scenarios with static EE-S screen taken with one of the cheapest manual camcorders from Panasonic.

Low light bokeh in metro station, back lighted subject with direct sunlight to lens and low sun shining into the lens from the side. All taken with camcorder too close to the focusing screen and 28mm f2 lens without lens hood. Added compression to all that and this is how worse it became. Not too bad.

When camcorder lens was at widest angle fully open and gain at max setting the footage became softer as as seen in the metro station part.

One aspect that needs fruther study is that vibrating EE-S matte side facing the SLR lens isn`t that soft at the same settings.

Cheers,
T
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #42
Trustee

Quote:
It has been confirmed by Ben Winter that a $25 Nikon D100 replacement screen is as good if not better than Beattie when used in vibrating design.
It should be noted that through my experiences, these focusing screens have absolutely horrendous bokeh, and anyone desiring anything resembling a normal-looking image should avoid the D100 and Beattie.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods