Sneak peak: DIY smallest vibrating adaptor. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 6th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #16
Major Player

Toenis, i'm not sure what setup You used in second file 2. SLR lens @ f16. Is that You stopped 35mm lens down to f=16? Asking because i don't see any difference in depth of field compared to first file 1. SLR lens @ f1.2.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #17
Major Player

There certainly is difference in depth of field between those two HVX200 clips. I quess that maybe I set the aperture to f8 instead of f16. Objects were quite close to lens and the background just remained out of focus.

I`ll try to make some adequate tests when I get the time.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #18
Major Player

Toenis, if it's really 8 or 16 then congratulations! There's no adapter giving grainless footage over 5.6! Correct me if i'm wrong...
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #19
New Boot

Hello all.

I made an attachment for my 35mm adapter using those same macrotubes were I glued a 58 mm UV filter to a plastic protective rear lens cap, makes for easy removal.

Best, M.
Magnus Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #20
Major Player

One of the best DIY solutions to screw those macro tubes to camera lens is to take scheap 55mm rubber lens hood and rip off the rubber so you get a tube with 55mm male and female threads. Outside diamete of that tube just happens to be 57mm on that is very very snug fit into those EOS macro tubes shown on my pictures. Now one must only add step up/down ring(s) to fit your camera`s filter threads. put everithing together, align everything and glue that 55mm tube inside one of the macro tubes so that everithing stays aligned. It`s easyer to clue/align everithing when one makes align marks to everithing before glueing. Downside of that design is that you can use your camera to adaptor connector with only that camera it was aligned before fixing it with glue. Fortunately another set of tubes and rubber hood plus stepdown ring will cost $25 and you can use your adaptor again with different camera.

BTW two $15 macro tube sets might be needed for different camcorders to get the focusing screen to camera distance vignette free, it`s much cheaper than adding empty UV filter rings for cpacers.

AVOID USING SUPER GLUE - vapours from super glue will ruin any optical coatings and focusing screens alike.

Cheers,
T
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #21
Trustee

Would you mind diagramming the parts for us? I'd love to see how this is put together. Where do you find an oscillator for the screen?
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #22
Major Player

It`s CINEDOF™`s Noise Reductor beta ;) from www.cinedof.com

T
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #23
Major Player

Oh, I found a action shot from last night MV shoot with tiny GS150 attached to my DOF adaptor.
And some quick raw test footage from that exact moment.

Did I mention that CINEDOF™`s Noise Reductor runs 20+ hours straight on single off the shelf 1.2v 2300mAh AA size rechargeable battery?

Best regards,
T

Last edited by Toenis Liivamaegi; September 8th, 2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi
Oh, I found a action shot from last night MV shoot with tiny GS150 attached to my DOF adaptor.
And some quick raw test footage from that exact moment.

Did I mention that CINEDOF™`s Noise Reductor runs 20+ hours straight on single off the shelf 1.2v 2300mAh AA size rechargeable battery?

Best regards,
T
The latest design (on your website) looks alot more refined than your first concept picture.

So do you think it's comparable to a spinning disk or other vibration adapters at this point in reducing grain? Have you minimized movement on the focus plane? Because that seems to be the main problem you would run into with such a design.

Great work so far :)
Solomon Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon Chase
Have you minimized movement on the focus plane? Because that seems to be the main problem you would run into with such a design.
How would that design move on the z axis? It seems like a pretty solid design in terms of just moving on the x and y...
Old September 8th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
How would that design move on the z axis? It seems like a pretty solid design in terms of just moving on the x and y...
because the thickness on the Z axis of the leaf spring might allow for Z movement. The type of plastic and coin motor used would effect it too I suppose.
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #27
Major Player

T,

Do you ever think your design will come in smaller sizes? Instead of 57mm maybe a 52 or 51mm design? I want to try and fit this in a thorlabs tube, but they only have 3in and 2in diamaters. I could go for the 3in but I'd have to order three seperate one's seeing how they only make 3in round 1in long and that's pretty costy. 2in would be almost too perfect. Lightweight, cheap and just screw on parts.

-Rh
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #28
Major Player

Solomon, it really is quite solid design with minimal Z axis movement as leaf springs are 2mm thick but only 0.44mm thin. One can move it on Z only with brute force.

Rich, we are working on smaller diametre design but as thre are no good reliable vibraton motors smaller than 12mm it is really hard to hide those under the 35mm frame without affecting overall design.

Best regards,
T
Old September 10th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi
Solomon, it really is quite solid design with minimal Z axis movement as leaf springs are 2mm thick but only 0.44mm thin. One can move it on Z only with brute force.

Rich, we are working on smaller diametre design but as thre are no good reliable vibraton motors smaller than 12mm it is really hard to hide those under the 35mm frame without affecting overall design.

Best regards,
T
That's awesome :)

Quyen (Letus35) uses a 10mm motor that has more vibration power than a 12mm coin motor on the Letus.

BTW, any experiments with smaller 4mm or 7mm vibration motors? definately a smaller footprint but they probably don't have the power
Old September 10th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #30
Inner Circle

you do not need power if the mass is light.
that is the problem of most vibrating system, that is while i was asking for the GG thickness.
ideally you should not even have to move the motor itself it the vibration can be transmitted a way or another (moving magnet or coil ?)
i am waiting for a 0.2mm glass to test how much it is better than a 1mm glass.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods