Sneak peak: DIY smallest vibrating adaptor. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Sneak peak: DIY smallest vibrating adaptor.

My oscillating design housed in macro tubes, user interchangeable screens...
Picture 1
Picture 2
...got to hurry now.

Will post some footage tommorow.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:01 AM   #2
New Boot

Amazing! looking forward to footage and some more photos of adaptor;-)
Juro Stehlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Wow that looks great... so perfectly compact. With all these nice adapters coming out, I almost wish I never started my DIY project.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Trustee

Hey man,
I saw your website and it doesn't seem to work. I guess you have some big players onboard with you like Cavision, reflexite etc...
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The base mount of the adapter on the rods looked like the DiGi35 currently in progress lol! Looking good!
Zulkifli Yusof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #6
Major Player

Some crappy shots...

>> Some really crappy pre-test shots here
170mb in total, but really crappy in quality. As you can see from with and without shots the moving noise issue is always there, gain was set to "0".
I forgot 35mm lens lens to f2 hence the light loss.

>> OOF frame grab 19mm @ f4, almost no vignetting but shows the grain @ f4

BTW all shot with Canon EE-A microlens screen.

I`ll edit and post something adequate when I get the time.

Regs,
T

Last edited by Toenis Liivamaegi; September 4th, 2006 at 06:25 AM.
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #7
Major Player

By the way, HVX can focus to that EE-A screen from as close as ca 40mm without vignetting. Vibrating grain became somehow visible at f16 but at f8 it was like at f1.2 when observed on 42" plasma via component in.

So my design is officially 64mm in diametre and 84mm in lenght (for HVX) but shortest working size is only 56mm excluding rod mount and it operates on external 1.2v which can be modified to internal.

Another positive thing is that this design does not require HVX to have +10 achromat only something like +2, not sure exactly but I`ll confirm that later.

I hope I can convert post some test footage for web in the morning.

Cheers,
T
Old September 5th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #8
Major Player

Here you go, three full resolution test clips from HVX200 with my vibrating DOF adaptor in XviD:
1. SLR lens @ f1.2 (22mb)
2. SLR lens @ f16 (18mb) Might have been only at f8...
3. Without SLR lens (9mb)

Only optical element in this design is an EE-A screen.
As Cavision`s universal rails mount doesn`t accommodate HVX we were forced to lay everything up on a table and couldn`t align everything perfectly not to mention focusing HVX on focusing screen hence the soft image.

Cheers,
T

Last edited by Toenis Liivamaegi; September 5th, 2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Dangit

I wondered when someone would pick up on those macro tubes. I use those same ones (or extremely similar) for my own design. What's the thread size on those Toenis? Mine are approximately 52mm. I got mine from Fotodiox.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #10
Major Player

Mike, I think those tubes have ca 60mm thread size and inner diametre of 57mm to accommodate this, soon available to all DIYers.

T
Old September 5th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #11
Major Player

One question. That little holder device doesn't seem to have the tab for the Canon EE-A. Any problems with that. Looks VERY nice. Very professional. Well done, I must say.

I'll check the size of the tubes I have. Can't remember the inner diameter right now. I think the ones I have are smaller than 57mm. But I will check. Not to force your hand or anything, but how much would that part be by itself? Just curious. =)
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #12
Major Player

That holder/oscillator device has tabs/slots for almost any 35mm screen not bigger (excluding tabs) than 37x25mm and 1.6mm in thickness it`s just at the other side of the device.
Those parts will be CNC milled from eracetal copolymer as it has the best resilence and dimensional stability as well as a low thermal expansion rate plus exellent wear resistance.
Estimated price with vibration motor (that matches the physical properties of the vibrator material) would be something like $50 as this cann`t be beaten for all that R&D nor custom CNC milling job.
Add only your favorite focusing screen and a macro tube and that`s almost all you need, except one must figure out how to attach all that to camera ;).

One thing I obserwed from pre-test frame grabs was that light loss with that EE-A screen is quite noticeablefor me at least:
55mm SLR lens @ f1.2 EE-A microlens screen
Without adaptor
Two compared together I think it loses about two stops as that exposure scale indicates.
Can someone tell how bad that really is?

Best regards,
T
Old September 5th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi
Add only your favorite focusing screen and a macro tube and that`s almost all you need, except one must figure out how to attach all that to camera ;).
Another question. How HAVE you figured out how to attach it to the camera? Or have you not actually attached it? The threads on the tube I use are not standard filter threads, so they won't actually thread into a stepdown ring or onto a camera. Have you overcome this problem, or have you just put the adapter on that stand and placed it at the proper distance from the HVX lens?
Old September 5th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #14
Inner Circle

i was trying to set up such vibrating device with thin steel spring blades taken from big watch.
the biggest problem being the weight of the plate +GG.
what is the thickness of the GG glass you use ?
(i ordered 0.2mm thin glass for this).
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #15
Major Player

Mike, it attaches to the camera via rods only as Redrock`s M2 does.
We are in the progress of making 58mm to 60mm thread adaptor to connect those cheap macro tubes to anything with 58mm threads.

Giroud, this oscillator uses lightweight frensel focusing screen(s) made of optical acrylic.

Another thing to mention is that when using cheap Canon EOS/EF mount macro tubes one can use almost any 35mm lens out there, including $150.00 55mm f1.2 Pentax K lens with EOS adaptor from www.eBay.de ;)...
... and Nikon, Pentax K, M42, Olympus OM, Contax/Yashica and Leica R for example.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods