DIY Redrock Adapter for Z1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 8th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Major Player

DIY Redrock Adapter for Z1U

Well, I made one. I used the Redrock HD Achromat, and used the plans as a guide, but made some modifications along the way.

You can view my rig here: http://www.reelinspirations.com/redrock/

There is also a link for some test footage I shot today.

Jim
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #2
Trustee

There seems to be a little darkening in the Blue shirt video at the edges, but the post images look amazing.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

James.

Looks like a good implementation. If there is any drawback it would be relating to the SLR lens support.

The following comments refer only if you intend to go furthur with your device.

The lid of the project box will likely have changed shape slightly when the hole has been cut in it which will shift the front of the lens slightly off-axis in a vertical direction, most likely downwards if the moulding feed into the die was from the inside.

If there is anything to be seen it may be a slight softness or rainbow effect on the bottom edge or corners of the image or a vignette evident first there when you zoom back. (Top edge if you are looking at the image unflipped).

The bottom of the project case at the rear will likely do the same thing but a little bit of force from the rods mounts to restore the centres will fix it and has probably already happened when you were setting up.

Best practice might be to add light aluminium plates inside the case to pull the plastic back into shape.

You could probably ignore the rear but for the front, I think you may find the front support is desireable or even replacement of the lid with a piece of aluminium. 3mm boatbuilders plate would be my choice.

All that said, being lazy, I made none of these enhancements to my sewer pipe version of the idea as I found I could restore parallel faces and centering by skewing the caps which are a taper fit.

Don't take too much notice of my comments as I am not an optical engineer or industry professional.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #4
Trustee

What did you use for GG? Looks very good.
Bob, maybe he's using an aluminum box.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Michael.

You could well be correct regarding the case being aluminium in which event problem solved.

One of my principal vices is being a know-all and propagating sometimes wrongly known assumptions, in belief they be factual knowings as fact, when in fact as factual knowings they are known by others to be not. (Pauses to take a breath).

One assumption is that as each individual development is finessed, the collective bar is being raised that little bit higher each time. (Maybe this could be safely assumed to be fact).
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #6
Major Player

How much did you save building it yourself? I've been looking into some various 35mm adaptor (i have a couple nikon lenses as well as some canon FD lenses) but the cost is too much for me to justify right now
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods