Pre-order CINEDOF™ static or vibrating screen holder, for 2" Thorlabs too! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 31st, 2006, 12:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Pre-order CINEDOF™ static or vibrating screen holder, for 2" Thorlabs too!

As circumstances have changed we are opening orders for our trademark series screenholders for do-it-yourself dof adaptor applications.

Vibrating screen holder $49.00 to fit following extension, macro or lens tubes with following inner diametres:

For Nikon ø54.4mm (more common) and ø55.3mm (uncommon)
For Eos ø57mm
To be used with standard Canon EE-S or EE-A focusing screens.
Full, 36x24mm viewable area.

For 2" Thorlabs ø50.8mm (no standard screens available)
To be used with size modified Canon EE-S or EE-A focusing screens.
Smaller, 33x21mm viewable area that might require stronger macro.

Specially designed black matte faced vibration motor is included.

Static screen holder $19.00 to fit 2" Thorlabs lens tube

All our screen holders come with hardware to fix the screen to the holder and our trademark coloured band to stick around your finished adaptor.

Please place your order for CINEDOF™ screen holder now. We will ship orders for CINEDOF™ screen holder that we receive today in late November. We are shipping CINEDOF™ screen holder orders in the sequence we receive them.

Invoice is included with every order shipped.

To order > click here < and send us your full name and shipping address along with your desired product name.
All prices include S&H.
Make sure you can use www.moneybookers.com for payment. IBAN transactions and other payment methods are subject to availability and additional fees.

See below for additional information on screen holder specifications, different DIY applications, part lists and price estimations for completed adaptor.

All questions should be discussed and answered here.
The policies, procedures, specifications and prices are subject to change without prior notice.

Cheers,
T

Last edited by Toenis Liivamaegi; November 1st, 2006 at 07:43 AM.
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:10 PM   #2
Major Player

DOF adaptor for Nikon lens!

Static DOF adaptor parts list in order of screw-together assembly:

1. Nikon BR-3 Bayonet Mount Adapter Ring for 52mm Filters - $35.00
2. Thorlabs SM2L20 - SM2 Lens Tube, 2.00" (50.8mm) Bore Depth, One SM2RR (retaining ring) Included - $31.00
3. Canon EE-S focusing screen - $35.00 (EE-A screen is available for as low as $5.00)
4. CINEDOF™ static screen holder for EE series - $19.00 (screen is held by screen holder between retaining rings)
5. Thorlabs SM2RR - SM2 Retaining Ring, 2.035"-40 Thread x 0.10" (2.5mm) Thick - $9.50
6. Thorlabs SM2T2 coupler - $33.00
7. Your camcorder/macro to 52mm stepping ring - $5.00

+ Spanner wrench to screw retaining rings tight enough but we managed to tighten them with philips head precision screwdriver.

TOTAL: $170.00 (+20% for EU) for static one
Add $40.00 for vibrating one as it requires vibrating screen holder, vires, plugs, switch, battery and so on.

I must warn everybody that shipping costs could be as high as $65 for Thorlabs parts delivered to Europe.

This estimation doesn`t include camera specific achromatic macro or closeup lens as smaller Panasonic cameras don`t need any.

Assembly time: 3-30min depends on getting the correct flange focal distance.

Not that bad for the most versatile static DIY dof adaptor for Nikon lens, no glue required.

See here for sample footage with EE-S screen: www.cinedof.com/static/

With minor modifications to focusing screens and reduced viewable area this design can be used for vibrating assembly too.

Cheers,
T

Last edited by Toenis Liivamaegi; November 1st, 2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Static DOF adaptor for Nikon lens!

and possible for Canon EOS ?

thx
robert
Robert Batta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Notes for builders (to be completed)

Vibrating screen holder reduces almost any visible noise but is more complicated specially wen used in cheap macro tubes.
Static or so called passive one is easyer to complete and operate but any dust on focusing screen will be visible.

Sheap macro tubes can be used for adaptor housing but make sure of which inner diametre they are before ordering any or order those tubes before ordering our screen holder.

Frensel focusing screens such as EE-S and EE-A don`t need additional PCX lens. EE-S is focusable via on-board monitor.
Sanon EE series Screens can be sanded down to fit vibrating screen holder that fits to thorlabs tube.
HANDLE FOCUSING SCREENS WITH EXTREME CARE.

Thorlabs components are the best choise for static solution but more expensive than scheap macro tubes from eBay.
Thorlabs components can be assembled and tweaked with ease but you can not use full viewable area in vibrating assembly. You can align thorlabs components, focusing screen and lens mount to your camcorder with ease via SM2T2 coupler. Thorlabs 2" tubes can take 50.8mm diametre screen holders.

EOS mount can take almost all 35mm lens via lens mount adaptors. Canon EF mount can take Nikon, Pentax K, M42, Olympus OM, Contax/Yashica and Leica R for example. FD to EF mount adaptors are also available from third party providers but image quality might degrade because the nature of FD adaptor.

Specially designed anti reflective vibration motor can vibrate at half power (1.2V) to reduce audible noise and to increase bettery life and service life.

DO NOT USE SUPER GLUE!

Regs,
T
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Toenis,

I have PMed you regarding the use of the leaf spring GG holder. Did you get the mail. Please get back to me regarding my comment and request. Following my last PM, I really don't mind compensating you for the use of the design. Say for every purchase I pay you USD5.00 and maybe this deal is limited for the next 50 purchases. PM me on this if you have no problem. Since you showcased this leaf spring GG holder first, I think its only right you get credit for it too. What ever it is, just PM me and we can discuss further.
Alex Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thorlabs GG

Would it be effective to use one of the Thorlabs Ground Glasses in your screw-together static design using thorlabs tubes?

http://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage...&Visual_ID=546

I'm not sure what kind of results people have recieved with these. My guess is that the advantage of the Canon focusing screens would be the build in fresnel, correct?
Chris Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #7
Trustee

I have used Canon EE-S and there is a very weird double-ghosting artifacting occurring around the center, near the edges. I suspect it is from the fresnel design. I am also suspecting it also occurs with the EE-A as well. I suggest against the use of them.
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Ben, Toenis has posted earlier couple samples with EE-A or EE-S(or with both). There wasn't seen any ghosting.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:11 AM   #9
Major Player

Tests and grabs with NV-GS150

All moving images found on: http://www.cinedof.com/static/ and http://www.cinedof.com/test/ are taken with EE-S screens if not noted otherwise.

Frensel rings can occure in static design but when screen is installed so that frensel side faces slr lens they are not visible any more.

EE-S screen has some uncommon character when exposed to extreme lens flares - microlens pattern becomes visible. Here you can see the worst what can happen and here can you see flare fom wide angle lens aimed directly to sun

Regs,
T
Old November 6th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey Toenis,

I have a question regarding your creative commons licence, what is exactly does it protect you from?
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

On the subject of camera focusing screens.....An SLR camera consist of an CCD or CMOS which captures the image from the focusing screen, which captures the image from the lens. The SLR is static, any the image comes out hi-res with no problems so why does this not happen with the DIY adapters that use focusing screens?? In principle all you are doing is replacing the SLR CCD or CMOS with the camcorders CCD's. So why do the images come out so differently? Is it all in the presision that DIY adapters cannot achieve?

Maybe Bob Hart can answer this, after all he is the information god, who needs google when we have Bob. (Im not being sarcastic by the way Bob, I read through your replies all the time and they are very detailed and informative, keep up the good work).

Thanks,
Old November 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #12
Major Player

Are you talking about a digital SLR? Either way, the mirror and GG are only for the optical viewfinder preview, and are bypassed once the shutter is released (mirror flips out of the optical path). Or am I missing something?
Old November 14th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Yeah digital SLR. Doesnt an SLR record what is being projected onto the focusing screen? I thought that was the whole point of the focusing screen. The mirror/focal plane shutter opens and the image is projected in the sensor in exactly the same manner as on the focusing screen. I maybe wrong.
Old November 14th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #14
Major Player

Tony,

The focusing screen is only for the viewfinder and setting focus ('focusing' screen). In an SLR (Single-lens reflex) the light from the lens is bounced 90 degree's up off a mirror and then projected onto the focusing screen, then through a roof pentaprism giving you the image in the viewfinder with the correct DOF and FOV.

Once you have set your framing, exposure and focus, once you press the shutter to take the photo, the mirror flips up out of the way, and the light from the lens projects directly onto the film or CCD in the case of a digital SLR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

Most digital SLR's CCDs are smaller then true 35mm so there is a cropping factor.
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #15
Trustee

Are the pentaprism too small from a camera body to be used for the dof rig application of flipping?
David Delaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods