Century Optic +7 Diopter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 15th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Century Optic +7 Diopter

Hi all,

Can anyone help me out here. I am trying to figure out some dimensions here of the CO +7 diopter (achromat/macro). I saw on some website the achromat is very thick. Can someone tell me how thick in mm is the achromat? Really appreciate the info.

Also, I have a +4 and +3 HOYA macro I am using with my adaptor, is using the HOYA macros (which is in two pieces screwed onto each other) similar to using the one piece +7 CO diopter?

Thanks.
Alex Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

CO +7 ACHROMATIC DIOPTRE DIMENSIONS - COVERS OFF.

LENGTH = 23.6mm.
OUTER DIAMETER = 60.5mm.
OUTER DIAMETER OF FILTER MOUNT THREAD. 58mm (57.9mm).
EXIT PUPIL DIAMETER TO CAMERA = 48.3mm.
CLEAR DIAMETER OF FRONT ELEMENT = 48mm.
THREADED SHOULDER FRONT TO BACK = 4.7mm.
FRONT OF LENS BARREL TO FRONT OF THREADED SHOULDER = 18.9mm.

My measurements of the fractions of a millimetre may be a bit off.

FRONT OF THREADED SHOULDER is the same as front face of camcorder at the point the lens is screwed fully home in the filter thread.

The stacked Hoyas will be representing the magnifying power of the +7 but less sharply, especially at the edges of the image.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Alex, are those hoya lenses achromats or singlets? Unless they are achromats, you will see considerably CA from them. Our new 72mm achromats (designed for HD cams) may be useful.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Bob for the info.

Hi Dennis,

Not sure what you mean singlet, but if you mean they are +4 and +3 individual macro screwed onto one another to get +7, yes. They are cheapo HOYA macro so will definitely have CA problem. My design is based on using 58mm macro. That why I am looking at the CO diopter. But i guess i can use a 72mm achromat on a small DV cam by using a step up ring. How much you are selling the achromat? Will check out your website later.
Alex Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Major Player

On the offhand chance you're interested in trying the CO adapter, I have one here with minor wear and some incidental scratches on one of the optical surfaces (doesn't affect performance negatively that I've noticed.) I'd sell it for $100.00.

My email address is: info at go-35 dot com

- jim
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the offer, but I haven't decided to get one yet. Just checking out the dimension for new adaptor that I am designing. Thanks.
Alex Chong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods