Redrock vs Brevis - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM   #16
Trustee

Did a fair bit of stuff with the brevis and m2 last week. On the z1 and the xdcam.

The Brevis is light, in both meanings. I love how it setups so quickly and easily on my camera and you don't need anywhere near as much light as the m2. The downside being the Bokeh suffers. To get that true film like Boken I think the option 1 diffuser is the way to go when you can light things or you are outside. inside the standard diffuser is great, it lets you use the Brevis in situations you just couldn't use the redrock in.
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #17
Major Player

Phil, I posted up some XH-A1 footage from the third diffuser "Cinefuse 3". If you're looking for shallow, shallow DOF, you'll be very happy :-)
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #18
Trustee

You know I am going to order that too so hurry up and get them ready! ;-) when do you expect it to be ready. It is EXACTLY what i need!! If you need someone to do some broadcast testing for you...

I shot some reconstruction stuff for a Pilot I am making for Channel 5/ history Channel using the HVX200 in 25pn mode using the Brevis.

The director and producer were shocked at how cool the stuff looked! We were going for a shaky cam super 8mm look. Would have prefered a more shallow DOF look like the Redrock though. Hopefully the new diffuser/ diffusers will do what I need!!!

The nikon mount seems to have settled in a little bit better than when I first got it too.

Last edited by Phil Bloom; December 4th, 2006 at 03:52 PM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #19
Trustee

I just shot a training video for Godiva and in the well-lit store, things looked great. This is easily the best footage I've ever achieved using a DOF adapter. Constant brightness edge-to-edge on the diffuser, super-crisp, blends perfectly with non-adapter footage. I could get down to a bit past f4 on my 1.2 55mm before grain started to appear. Like someone previously said, bokeh suffers. I plan on ordering one (or both) of the other diffusers.
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #20
Major Player

Shallow enough ?

This is with a 50mm FD at f1.4. It's a bit soft due to both A1 and 50mm apertures being fully open, but you get the idea. The A1 is a bit noisy out of the box, so I'll do some testing with gain a -3db and NR on low. I haven't shot a single frame with the adapter off the camera...a true sign of adapter addiction.
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:36 AM   #21
Trustee

when do you expect the new diffuser to be available Dennis?
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #22
Major Player

Before the end of December. It's technically the most ambitious diffuser yet for us, so some work needs to be done here with regards to infrastructure.
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:52 AM   #23
Trustee

how does the second diffuser (option 1) compare to this one? You still think you will be able to ship it to me this week?
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #24
Major Player

Phil, Cinefuse 2 lies almost directly between Cinefuse 1 and 3 in terms of diffusion/bokeh. I did some more tweaking on the A1 tonight to figure out it's noise issues, which I believe are now sorted. Footy soon. I've pmailed you on the other issue...

Ben, it's great to hear the adapter is working well for you :-) When you say grain came up at F4, I'm assuming you meant in the store? You should be able to get up a lot higher in good light.
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #25
Trustee

yea i have yet to try out the thing outside but I have high hopes for it. Although it was fairly bright in the store...in any case I seem to remember being able to get down a little farther on other lenses, and I'm fine with where I got with it that day at f4.
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #26
Major Player

Dennis, what is the location of the posted A1 with "cinefuse 3" footage that you mentioned above? Thanx
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #27
Major Player

The link is in "limited distribution" form the cinevate site. I figured I should at least read the XH-A1 manual before releasing footage to the wild :-) Now that I've figured out at least a few of the myriad of shooting options/settings with the cam, I'll be redoing the footage based on the new settings. There's still some time needed with the cam attached to an HD monitor, but I will have footage done this weekend. I shot the aforementioned clip with the cam literally out of the box...and although I'm quite happy with the footage, I knew it could be improved on.
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #28
Trustee

Dennis, does the XH-A1 have a progressive 24p mode?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #29
Major Player

It does do 24 frames/sec, however technically it is not progressive...it's frame mode. There is a very slight res hit over 1080P, but the general consensus is that no one can tell the difference viewing the footage. With the presets that Chris just posted up (the cam and SD card can store 29 of them) you have control over 23 recording specifications. Former DVX users have already tweaked the cam to emulate the look of their old fav. and I expect there will be a large collection of presets posted up in short order.

The XH-A1 is basically the XL-H1 without SDI and a removable lens.
Old December 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #30
Trustee

Dennis,

I was filming in the street in the evening with the Brevis and the HVX for the doco series and someone stopped me and asked if I was using a 35mm adaptor! I gave him your website details!

I did have some pulsing in the background of an interview, cant work out why. Could flourescent lights have caused it? I had to run the Brevis without motor. Unfortunately got all sorts of bits of grit and a couple of hairs in the shot now. Damn

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods