Zoom Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 20th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Zoom Lens

I have a decent range of prime lenses that I can use for a 35mm adapter but i was also thinking that it might be nice to have a zoom lens for shoots where I wouldn't want to be changing lenses the whole time.

Does any one have any suggestions for a decent zoom lens (nikon mount) that wouldn't be too expensive (<400)?
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

How much of a zoom are you talking about? I just recently bought a 135mm Nikkor F2 prime lens and found out that is the most I would ever want to go because with the longer zoom lenses, you would have to sacrifice light speed. And after comparing a 135mm f2.8 vs f2, the faster lense is necessary in low light situations. When you start getting into the 300mm or above the light speed is really sacrificed.
Cary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am not sure if I am getting my terms messed up or you are but from what i understand you are talking about telephoto lenses, while I am just talking about a zoom lens, the ability to zoom in and out with it between differn't focal lengths. Like i have a 18-55mm cannon zoom lens, but it has a cannon mount which isn't want I want for the adapter.
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils Hoover View Post
I am not sure if I am getting my terms messed up or you are but from what i understand you are talking about telephoto lenses, while I am just talking about a zoom lens, the ability to zoom in and out with it between differn't focal lengths. Like i have a 18-55mm cannon zoom lens, but it has a cannon mount which isn't want I want for the adapter.
Cary is trying to gauge the longest FL you will need, since the longer generally means more lightloss.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:24 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm also in the same boat at you. I was wanting to know if other people using zoom lens from 18-100mm instead of buying 3 to 4 prime lens. I know the zoom lens lose a lot more light, even so, would it be worth saving money and just light the set more?
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Nikon makes a bunch of F2.8 zooms... 17-35mm, 20-35mm, 28-70mm, 70-200mm, 80-200mm. All very good lenses. But the longer FL lenses are at least a grand.
Jon Wolding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods