View Full Version : DV-info members average age?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16

Steve Struthers
May 31st, 2009, 08:15 AM
I'm 46 myself.

Hanno di Rosa
May 31st, 2009, 09:19 AM
I just became grandfather, now good luck guessing!

Brian Best
June 8th, 2009, 08:33 AM
32, but I'll second that 15 at heart. Although the old body does not feel like 15 anymore.

Ozzie Alfonso
June 8th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I was a mere child when this thread started. I was in my 50s then, "I'm younger than that now." In fact, I must have already posted my age, but I haven't found that ancient post.

Since this thread will go on long after I'm gone, let me allow you to take a picture in time - I was born August, 14, 1945 - take the picture, how old am I now?

When the thread started I had a thriving production company, although by 2003 the budgets had begun a downward spiral. The projects that commanded $1.2 million in the early 1990s, by 03 the average budget for the same production had dipped to $300k, by 2007 no one was putting up more than $200k for the same scale of production. In 2008 Terra Associates, Inc. was dissolved, and I rewired myself into Terra Multimedia, LLC.

Where are the budgets now? Well, a few months ago an old client asked me to bid on a project similar to one we had already done for the same client. They stated that "funds were tight". So I drew up a budget that was less than half of the earlier production, and handed in a budget of $92k. The reply came back full of woe - "Can you make it for a lot less?" I saw no way to do it for less, so I decided I'd do everything - direct, camera, lights, editing, DVD authoring, graphics - with a little help from my friends. I was surprised to come up with a $40k bottom line. The reply would have been painful, if it hadn't been so funny - "...and we were hoping for something less than $20 thousand..."

So now I'm doing some pro-bono work (and enjoying it); I'm teaching myself advanced After Effects, I'm shooting HD now, there are a few projects in the horizon, but mainly I teach two college courses in TV production, and I sit here with plenty of time to write this lengthy reply.

Hey, gotta job? Prices are cheap, and if you call now.... but wait, there is more - I have several Emmys, a Peabody, and a slew of cool awards.

So how old am I? - August 14, 1945, VJ Day - you do the math.

Chris Hurd
June 8th, 2009, 04:52 PM
So nice to see you posting again Ozzie, welcome back! What a great day to be born, the end of the War.

Kevin Zibart
June 10th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I'm 36, I think. Who's counting anyway?

Jamie Pippin
June 10th, 2009, 02:15 PM
16...... :p

Greg Donovan
June 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM
17 over here.

Bob Grant
June 17th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Just noticed this thread, 57 years young.

Strange that the post above is from someone who also live in "Sydney". I never realised there was more than one Sydney on the planet.

Jack Kelly
June 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
28 and I shot my first bit of video when I was about 16 if I remember correctly.

Ryan Hansen
July 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Who is keeping tally?

Kevin Duffey
July 14th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Gees.. I am 37 and really pissed that all this great technology is available to you youngins now.. wish I had this stuff when I was in my teens to early 20s to learn with. The software, computer power, gear.. My god. No wonder so many young 20s are doing well in this field. When I was 20, I had a shoulder mount camera that my dad paid an arm and a leg for back in the early 80s and I think it shot 2 frames an hour at 60 x 40 resolution. lol. The ability to shoot HDV, edit it and spit out a film in a day (assuming you just do quick editing and some filters) is outstanding! These same day edits that wedding videographers do would take months when I was 20.

I just hope I can find a way to afford some of these pristine toys while I am still young enough to understand present day computers.

Brendan Marnell
July 15th, 2009, 01:02 AM

Who is keeping tally?

I forgot about counting between 30 and 70 but I've started now again, at 31 or thereabouts.

Edward Troxel
July 15th, 2009, 07:16 AM
You realize that since this thread was started, people are now up to 6 years older than stated :-)

Lorinda Norton
August 1st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Tell me about it, Edward. Today marks a half-century that I've been on this earth (just a tad longer than this thread's been going on here). ;)

I'd consider being depressed about 50 but realize that the milestone beats a headstone any day.

Ozzie Alfonso
August 1st, 2009, 03:26 PM
Lorinda, turning 50 for me was a hoot. I was taken out to dinner by friends, and the people at work rented a schooner to sail along the harbor. But ten years later - the big SIX OH - it was a different story. I guess everyone thought better of it and remained quiet - no dinner, no sailing, in fact I hardly remember the day.

Turning 50 is an accomplishment worthy of celebration. I guess the next big accomplishment will be 100, if I'm still conscious.

By the way, I'll be 64 this month, and it really hurts because in my head I still feel in my late 20s. That is, until I look in a mirror.

Lorinda Norton
August 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
If that's the problem I'm thinking we should just get rid of our mirrors.

No schooners around here, mainly because there aren't any harbors. But that sounds like fun. It's so hot no one wants to do much, so it looks like the main event in this celebration will be pizza and beer. That means there could come a point in the evening where I feel like I'm in a schooner after all...and I'll tip a glass your way, fellow August baby. :)

Pavel Tomanec
August 5th, 2009, 02:40 PM
32... 33 next year,

feeling though as if I would have lived 1008 years in this world.

Simon Bampfield
September 1st, 2009, 01:16 AM
31 years old

And Ozzie the saying is true mate, it is not how old you are, but how young you feel.

Aaron Jones
September 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
29. Still the good side of 30.

Jim Martin
September 3rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
I'm old enough to know you don't ask this kind of question!......Where's the mystery, the romance....

Rafael Amador
September 4th, 2009, 10:37 AM
52 in two weeks time.
Still a lot to render.
rafael

Evan C. King
September 5th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I'm 23 but this info is useless without a poll, unless your crazy enough to read them all and average them yourself.

Calvin Bellows
September 6th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I'm 26 but I still feel like I should be 20.

Dale Guthormsen
September 6th, 2009, 07:11 PM
OK,

I may not act it but I am one short of 60. I do not feel like that most days.

have not had to down size the camera yet!

David Barnett
September 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM
36. Wanted to work in film/video since I was in 8th grade. Had just watched Stand By Me (one of my faves), and then listened to a high school teacher who spoke to us in middle school about the A/V program they had there. I took classes in it 9th thru 12th.

Matt Austin
September 18th, 2009, 05:25 AM
25 here, barreling headlong towards 26 this october. Growing up I always felt like I'd have this moment, maybe when I was around 22 or 23 where I'd wake up one morning and feel like an adult. I still haven't had that feeling yet; Starting to doubt I'll ever feel it. I'm now the last single guy in our group of friends from university, and that depresses me...the rest are married, some have kids already, it's nuts.

Yi Fong Yu
September 23rd, 2009, 08:14 AM
from what i hear matt, even 30,40,50,60,70,80 year olds feel like they never 'grew up' to become an adult =). it's a state of mind ;)

Ben Robbins
October 13th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I'm 19, not old enough for people to take me seriously, I guess.

Brendan Marnell
October 14th, 2009, 02:15 AM
It's up to you, Ben.

To be taken seriously by me, aged 70, you only have to teach me something, anything that I can understand and adapt to my little scenario. The older I get the more I enjoy learning. If you're a thoughtful teacher that helps me.

So far you are showing me that you have modest expectations of other people's opinion of you. That's not bad for a start. While you're at that, I'm sure you are observing how differently different people react to your modesty. I'm assuming that you are being modest, not just pretending.

Adam Stanislav
October 14th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I am 59. As for taking people seriously, age has nothing to do with it. I know some wise and respectable young people and some old fools. And vice versa.

Ben Robbins
October 14th, 2009, 03:01 PM
The thing is, about the film community in my area... they don't provide feedback for any of my projects. Half the problem is that I don't have a wide enough audience to show my work to. I'd love to have people see some of my films, because feedback is something I'm severely lacking right now.

That's why I'm very excited to be a part of this online community. I'm looking forward to showing some of my work, and receiving that critical feedback and tips.

Brendan Marnell
October 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
What sort of film do you make Ben?

I can't say I ever made a film. Little snippets, yes, but I have limited interest in any sort of video other than wildlife & nature outdoor. The good news is there are many varieties of experience to be explored and tapped on this forum. So many people here, some with no interest in wildlife, have helped me that you're bound to attract opinions if you put something on Vimeo (or similar) and post a link to it within a new thread you start & name yourself.

Ben Robbins
October 14th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'm actually building a website right now, because youtube, vimeo, etc. do not allot me enough space. Most of my films are 15 to 30 minutes, on average. I will be sure to let people know when it's ready. Thank you for the kind words and insight. I appreciate it.

Jonathan Betz
October 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
23 here. It's cool to see such a diversity of ages here. It's really great to be a part of a community where all of my questions are answered and we are all interested in helping each other.

Hans Sandstrom
October 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Maybe I'm the oldest guy so far in this forum - soon to be 71.

I´have a Canon HV30, Raynox 6600 Pro, Rode Videomic. I mostly shot short videos but for the moment being I´m editing a 70 minutes documentary shot in Sweden, Estonia and Ukraine.

It´s a family story starting 1781 when a small Swedish congregation living in Estonia was forced to walk to Ukraine (2000 km). 966 people started, one year later only 120 was alive.
1929 these people in Ukraine got permission to come to Sweden.

The family I´m describing in my video had their mother and father coming to Sweden at that time. Today they are 12 brothers and sisters still living and being between 63-82 year old.

The "grand openingnight" will be in December.

David Chapman
November 6th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I'm 25. It seems that I'm the same age as Glen... well, when he started this thread 6 years ago!

This is almost my 15th year of making movies. I'm proud to say I have moved on from shooting Legos and GI Joe stop motion.

Chris Jeremy
November 6th, 2009, 06:41 PM
57 .. going on 18!!!

Adam Gold
November 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I'm 50, but I've got the heart of a young boy.

... in the freezer. Several, in fact.

Brendan Marnell
November 7th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Adam wrote ..... I'm 50, but I've got the heart of a young boy.

... in the freezer. Several, in fact.

Any livers there Adam?

Adam Gold
November 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I ate them with some Fava Beans and a nice Chianti....

Brendan Marnell
November 7th, 2009, 05:10 PM
OK, It'll have to be steak 'n kidney pie ... a bit heavy on the gut at my age. Marinated, maybe?

On second thoughts I am reminded of Jonathan Swift's satirical solution to poverty among the rapidly increasing Irish population of the late 1700's ... careful selection of the healthier children among the poor for fattening and carving into choice joints to be served as delicacies to the ruling rich. Little has changed, I guess ... just substitute taxpayers for the children and that's the menu for some years to come. I shall be begging for the crumbs I suppose and sneaking a sniff of your empty bottle.

Owen Dawe
November 9th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Well!! If I was a cat I'd be 476 yrs old. In reality I'm 68yrs old but don't feel a day over, over, over er um. I've forgotten.

Imre Zsolt Balint
January 29th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I am a whopping 30 years old, soon to be 31 mid-March. But I frequently act much less than my age and I certainly hope to keep that childish behavior up. :P

Jerry Porter
January 30th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I'm 39, but very immature for my age. At least that's what the wife keeps telling me...

Howard Neill
January 30th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I am 66. As long as our clients want to book us, I'll be there.

Laurence Janus
February 13th, 2010, 05:38 AM
I am 35 but I feel about double that recently :(

Dave Partington
April 16th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Looks like older than the average at 46 .... :(

Frank Catscottage
April 17th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I'm whistling for almost a year now this famous Beatle song from the "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album.....and may I say still not out off tune.....

So there's still hope...I imagine?!

John Abbey
April 17th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.