View Full Version : Small HD Finally is here

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

John Saunders
May 5th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I was sitting at my computer waiting for there website to change and when it didn't I checked my email and saw that they sent the link before the main page was switched over. I think I lost a few valuable minutes =(

Order #283053
I had to get one of everything... When I spend money I spend money. Now I'm thinking about it though I should have ordered 2 batteries.

I can't wait for it to come in.

Oh and here is a link with some pictures of the prototype I found.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29405&page=2

It's like halfway down the page

Dale Guthormsen
May 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Trevor,

If you were number three that would make me number 1, thats gotta be a first for me!

well, it is here.

my purchase order number 283045

Mine was finished being placed at 12:03 Ten o clock here.

Justin Carlson
May 5th, 2009, 04:41 PM
So I found this online to convert HD-SDI to HDMI to I can plug in my EX1 into the SmallHD DP1 with an HDMI cable. Does anyone know if they make a p-tap connector that could plug into this AJA box so I can run it off my Bebob Cocoa-EX?

AJA | Hi5 HD-SDI/SDI to HDMI Video and Audio Converter | HI5 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478471-REG/AJA_HI5_Hi5_HD_SDI_SDI_to_HDMI.html#accessories)

Giroud Francois
May 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
You need 5 Volts power supply. From anything higher than 7V , a simple voltage regulator should fit.

I use almost the same (from Convergent Design) on a ManhattanLCD , and it works very well.

Trevor Meeks
May 5th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Trevor,

If you were number three that would make me number 1, thats gotta be a first for me!

well, it is here.

my purchase order number 283045

Mine was finished being placed at 12:03 Ten o clock here.

heh.. sweet! yeah, i finished mine at 12:03 as well, but probably the later part of the minute. I spoke with Dale a few minutes afterwards and they already had 5 orders, so I can only imagine that this preorder period has done well for them. Congrats Dale and everyone at smallHD! I am jazzed to be able to support you guys, and I look forward to seeing other future products from you :)

Leo Versola
May 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
heh.. sweet! yeah, i finished mine at 12:03 as well, but probably the later part of the minute. I spoke with Dale a few minutes afterwards and they already had 5 orders, so I can only imagine that this preorder period has done well for them. Congrats Dale and everyone at smallHD! I am jazzed to be able to support you guys, and I look forward to seeing other future products from you :)

I somehow managed to get to the order screen at 8:50pm (PST), fill my cart up but got held up when Chase placed a temp fraud hold on my CC due to it being a Internet transaction for a larger amount. Anyway it was probably a good thing but delayed my order by at least 20 minutes while I dealt with it...

Shame I won't get the monitor until the end of the month as I am right in the middle of a shoot and would love to give it a good, real-world test by putting it through its paces during production.

Dale Guthormsen
May 5th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Good evening,

I have almost always, at least tchnology wise, been a tailgater. let them bring the products out, sort out the early issue problems, and then if it proves viable make a move on it.

this year i broke the mold twice, once getting an I7 quad computer, and then the obvious, the small hd.

This one was almost a no brainer for me as far as its tchno use!! I need it badly for a current 6 month project.

I cast Faith in dale and his crew to get the product to us!!

This is potentially going to be one of my most important tools. Hope it holds up to my expectations.

I will cast the boquets when I have it in hand!!!

I might add, that if I had been simply browsing this forum I would not have even known the small hd was on the block!! Thanks dv info net.

anxiously waiting.

Wonder what the shipping time frame is going to be???

Trevor Meeks
May 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Orders will begin shipping on the 25th... so in 20 days.

Mathieu Kassovitz
May 6th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Pre-order no more available. How much did you pay for each piece of gear (including any accessory) ?

Anthony Lovell
May 6th, 2009, 08:42 AM
SmallHD.com - 8.9" High Definition - the DP1 (http://smallhd.com/preorder/)

Our monitors cost $749 ($75 less than it will be for others -- or did we pay $675 and others will pay $749?)
A neoprene jacket for carrying it safely around was also a free bonus to us, but $25 to others.
Square bracket to permit it to flip over: $35
Fabric sun hood: $49
Battery with charger: $59
Battery mounting bracket: $19

Daniel Weber
May 17th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Small HD website is not there anymore. Is there a new link?

Daniel Weber

Bill Busby
May 17th, 2009, 02:36 PM
uh oh! :-\

Phil Holland
May 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM
It's still there.
SmallHD.com - 8.9" High Definition - the DP1 (http://www.smallhd.com/)

Bill Busby
May 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Must have been a server glitch earlier

Miklos Konczol
May 23rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
Hi Dale!
Could U tell me approximately how many DP1s will begin shipping on May 25th?
THX for info!

I am about 200th in the line...

John Saunders
May 23rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
I was just thinking that none of monitors will be shipping on monday the 25th. It's memorial day. And that sucks cause I have a shoot on wednesday with a steadicam that I was hoping to use it with.

Miklos Konczol
May 23rd, 2009, 01:05 PM
OK, same question on 26th of may? Just would like to planning....

Dale Guthormsen
May 25th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Good Morning,

It will be inteersting to see who actually gets theirs first, regardless of order.

Here in Canada we have a saying, "If you want to hide anything, put it in the post!""

I too have a steady cam project waiting!! Kind a hard to use the xl2 or H1 viewfinders, and my fu 1000 is impossible!!!

any smallhd creative mounting solutions other than buying a noga or such??

Charles Papert
May 25th, 2009, 01:32 AM
If you are looking to put this on a stabilizer, I'd recommend (just from the pix) the U-bracket accessory on the Small HD site. A yoke such as this is the best way to mount a monitor on a Steadicam as it allows for tilting on the center of gravity (I'm assuming here the side threads are at the CG...?!) which maintains the balance of the rig as you make adjustments. Ideally both the tilt and pan pivots should integrate spring washers so that you can make those adjustments without having to loosen or tighten knobs.

Miklos Konczol
May 25th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I will try manfrotto 482 micro ball head,(because I alredy have one) but to find the correct balance is hard (not symetric).

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 482 - MICRO BALL HEAD (http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2289)

so... as Charels suggested the easyest way is the U-bracket accessory on the Small HD site.

Charles Papert
May 25th, 2009, 12:55 PM
One more point I will make about this: LCD monitors have a limited vertical viewing angle, and thus through the act of booming through the range of your stabilizer you can lose sight of the image as it "reverses". It's helpful to pre-set the tilt of the monitor for a given shot to minimize this effect for the majority of the shot. With a yoke as I described, you simply reach down and adjust the monitor and keep shooting. With a ball mount, Noga arm or the like you need both hands to make the adjustment, which is obviously tough while wearing the rig, plus you have to tweak the balance afterwards. Not good.

(attached: Steadicam Flyer monitor that I had modified with custom yoke)

Gints Klimanis
May 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I will try manfrotto 482 micro ball head,(because I alredy have one) but to find the correct balance is hard (not symetric).

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 482 - MICRO BALL HEAD (http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2289)

While this little ballhead is versatile, it really doesn't have much stability for an LCD monitor if you're on the move. If you like the ballhead features, I'd recommend saving your dollars for a sturdier model.

John Saunders
May 25th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah I bought the u-bracket with my order but I just got a noga are for my regular on rails setup. This is the first one I have purchased and I must say its a really cool mount. I got the 16X9 cinearm.

Dale Guthormsen
May 25th, 2009, 06:55 PM
John, others,

I think the Noga is a great attachment for weddings and events, I do my shar eof them.

for my my three part series I am doing out in the field I was planning on making a mount to go on the back bracket of my xlh1, particularly sense this camera is fron heavy!

Of course balance and position of the camera will make the final decision.

I was going to try and avoid having it mounted down low as I wont be able to see where I am going in the field in rough conditions.

suggestions welcome of course.

Justin Carlson
May 26th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know if we'll be getting shipping confirmation numbers today? Or when they'll be shipping?

Trevor Meeks
May 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Does anyone know if we'll be getting shipping confirmation numbers today? Or when they'll be shipping?

Haven't gotten any info today, and currently at 3:16pm west coast time, I doubt we'll see anything today, as it's 3 hours later on the east coast.

I'm hopeful, but not sure what's up. I'd love some word from Dale about the status of shipments, which were originally slated for yesterday (but that obviously wouldn't have happened being as it was a holiday)

Andrew Dean
May 27th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I got a message from dale saying mine would ship "later in the week", so I'll wait until monday to start gathering torches and pitchforks. hehe.

He's at the mercy of when the various components finally arrive to him, so I'm sure his anxiety =my anxiety*(the number of preorders)+anxiety for how that effects future perception/sales.

On a related note... BH was mysteriously "accepting orders" instead of in stock on the noga arm, so I ordered one from adorama. Got a notice a day later they were backordered for 11-14 days. I honestly never considered that a major mail order place wouldn't have their ordering system linked to their inventory. Tres 1997! Now it looks like the smallhd will arrive long before the arm for it. Its not ironic really... although that *is* the exact opposite of what i thought would happen. doh.

Miklos Konczol
May 27th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Hi Andrew!
What is your smallHD order noumber? (just the 3 last digit)
THX

Justin Carlson
May 27th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I'm sure Dale is getting an overwhelming supply of emails, but I was informed by him that my order is shipping out today and that I should have it by Friday. This is great news as I leave next week on a large filming trip and needed the monitor for that shoot.
Thanks again Dale!

Trevor Meeks
May 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM
i sure hope so. i ordered with 3 day shipping with the hopes of having mine by friday (assuming a tuesday ship) but with no shipping confirmation I'm getting a bit worried about that actually happening.

John Saunders
May 28th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I spoke with some one on the phone today and he said that the orders will be shipping today and tomorrow and that I would get an email with tracking number once it does.

Trevor Meeks
May 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM
just got this via e-mail a couple of minutes ago:

Info about your DP1 Shipment:
Hey Everyone,

We wanted to update you all on the status of your preordered DP1s as a group. We have begun shipping units as of yesterday. By the end of tomorrow about 80% of the units will have shipped. You will receive a UPS tracking notification when this happens. The remaining units will ship on Monday.

Also, since we missed our anticipated ship date by a couple days, we switched everyone to 2-Day UPS shipping, regardless of what you chose. (Unless of course you opted for next day)

Thank you to everyone who put their faith in us early on, and we hope you enjoy your DP1!

Best Regards,
Dale

Garrett Low
May 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I got the email too. I wonder how many they got out yesterday and today. I haven't received a tracking number yet :(.

Garrett

Justin Carlson
May 28th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I never got a tracking number either, but Dale told me that mine probably shipped out yesterday as it was one of the first ones.

Trevor Meeks
May 28th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I never got a tracking number either, but Dale told me that mine probably shipped out yesterday as it was one of the first ones.

i think our orders were fairly close together, so i'm hoping mine is on the way as well.

either way, i'm glad they sent an email out - hopefully it calmed some of those easily-agitated nerves.

me? i'm just freaking excited to get my smallHD!

now, which articulated arm to get? I'm so confused by all of these options.

Garrett Low
May 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Hi Justin,

What was your order number?

Garrett

Justin Carlson
May 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Is was: 283051

Garrett Low
May 28th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks Justin,

Mine was 108. Hope my unit went out by today.

Trevor, I was trying to figure out how to hook mine up too. I've got a Sachtler tripod and was trying to figure out how to connect it to that so it moves with the camera like a broadcast pedestal unit. He actually suggested trying to connect something into the left side pan handle point since I only use one. He suggested using a mic gooseneck for maximum flexibility in where the monitor could be positioned. A pretty good idea so tonight I'm off to Guitar Center to look for one.

Garrett

Dale Guthormsen
May 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Good evening,

I was number 45 if i recall, I have no notice from UPS yet, but that does not surprise me from ups.

I have been trying to delay my excitement until I know ity has shipped. I am really keen to put it into action. I take off on an important shoot Saturday morning, I am certain it wont be here tomarrow. Heck overnight shipping in Canada usually takes three days. Two day shipping, perhaps a week.

I am going to build my own camera mount. Will start on that tomarrow.

Garrett Low
May 29th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I woke up this morning, checked emails, and noticed an email from UPS saying that my SmallHD delivery is scheduled for Tuesday!

Now I'll be tracking the dang package through the whole weekend...

Thanks Dale

Trevor Meeks
May 29th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I woke up this morning, checked emails, and noticed an email from UPS saying that my SmallHD delivery is scheduled for Tuesday!

Now I'll be tracking the dang package through the whole weekend...

Thanks Dale

same here. yay!

Miklos Konczol
May 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I also got mail from UPS.

Odered from HUN, delivery is on 5th of Jun. (order N: ...203)

Leo Versola
May 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Tuesday delivery for me as well...

Dale Guthormsen
May 31st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Number 45 is in customs in wennipeg 400 miles east of me, should be in hand wed or thursday.

now I am anxious.

Have a steady cam shoot next weekend, will use it then for sure.

Terry Martin
June 1st, 2009, 05:07 PM
OK, it’s a winner. Just received the long awaited SmallHD monitor, and did a quick comparison test with my Totevision, last generation monitor. Note, the Totevision was a definite value in shooting HDV with a Canon XH A1, however it was a lower resolution screen.

I set up two HV30 cameras shooting the same outdoor subject, simultaneously connecting the ToteVision and SmallHD. The difference was incredible, better color, much sharper… lot more detail. Tested both HDMI and component inputs.

I’m sold just based on the image, which is good since the menu/ control system is somewhat challenging.

Justin Carlson
June 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
Great to hear Terry! Are you able to post any side by side shots?

Trevor Meeks
June 1st, 2009, 10:35 PM
mine comes tomorrow. my heart is already racing :)

Terry Martin
June 1st, 2009, 11:13 PM
Justin,
Sorry, I’m all tied up getting ready for a gig this Friday and my time is too limited. I’m sure there will be lots of pictures and info shortly. Just wanted to say that the image was far superior than expected. The Totevision is Ikan class 800x480 LED monitor and as I said, is a noticeable improvement from camera LCD’s. I have also used a cheap Poloroid 16” HDTV, and the Small HD is a vast improvement over both of them. It will interesting to read the comments about the control functionality, but I plan to just set it up once and forget about it.
The wait will be worth it.

Leo Versola
June 2nd, 2009, 01:18 AM
Great to hear; I've been using an 800x480 monitor and was debating on buying one of the new Marshall monitors (for the Focus-in-Red and False Color features) or the DP1 for its higher resolution. We'll see tomorrow but I'm fairly certain I'm going to be very happy that I went with the DP1 instead...

Leo Versola
June 2nd, 2009, 01:19 AM
Duplicate post.