View Full Version : Small HD Finally is here

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Leo Versola
June 2nd, 2009, 03:49 AM
Duplicate post.

Anthony Lovell
June 2nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'm setting mine up just now. The menu buttons are confusing as all get out, and I'm trying to figure out which input equates to Component?

Ahhh got it. Connector wasn't seated in the EX1. Working onward...

It is up and going now. My greatest dissatisfaction is the menu buttons, which are laid out in an unhelpful horizontal line. The most terrible aspect of this arrangement is that the POWER button is one of these 5. It should be well-separated from them in position, I think. I'd most like to see the power button on the connector-edge or on one of the sides of the screen or perhaps on the front in the lower right.

I know little of setting up calibration. I await someone's expert flowchart for doing this on the DP1. Perhaps SmallHD should place this on their site.

PS, just in case someone is as daft as I was, the Component is called YPbPr (I'm a newb), and on the EX1's menus this is called YPbPr/SDI simply because the functions there apply to both interfaces. Incidentally, setting the EX1's "display" on or off means should the menu and other icon stuff show up on the DP1 or not. But no one can be as new as me, can they?

tone

John Saunders
June 2nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
This has got to be the best Tuesday ever. First the firmware update for manual control for our 5D and now the SmallHD came in. Still fooling around with it but I am very satisfied so far. Here are some pictures. Now to go try it outside...

Trevor Meeks
June 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
This has got to be the best Tuesday ever. First the firmware update for manual control for our 5D and now the SmallHD came in. Still fooling around with it but I am very satisfied so far. Here are some pictures. Now to go try it outside...

nice John! I'm still waiting on UPS today, it's driving me NUTS!!!

Anyway, I was just wondering what purpose (if any) the tripod collar serves on your 70-200 (i see it's turned upside down - just to get it out of the way?) I know this may sound dumb, but you know you can remove it from the lens right? It'll save ya a bit of weight :-)

Enjoy! I can't WAIT for my DP1 to get here *face glued to window*

John Saunders
June 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah I know ;) I still use it quite a bit for stills and just leave it on. I'm just lazy I guess. I have to drill and tap an extra redrock micromount and put my noga arm on for the monitor than I will be all set and increase the weight even more. Oh and I can't forget the French flags for the wow factor....

John Saunders
June 2nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Oh and by the way I tried it outside in direct sunlight and it was still surprisingly viewable. I was expecting it to be pretty much useless without the shade but it does really well. The sunshade is nice though.

Trevor Meeks
June 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
ah, i totally hear ya about that tripod mount for still shooting - although I never mount my 70-200 (or any of my still cameras for that matter) to a tripod, i still really prefer that collar for handheld shooting. it just makes the lens feel so much better.

i'm happy to hear your report re: DP1 use in direct sunlight. I'm always surprised at how well my EX1's stock screen does in direct sunlight, so it'll be cool to see how the DP1 does. I'll be ordering a sun hood this week though, since I forgot to get that and a U bracket with my order.

Trevor Meeks
June 2nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
unboxing photos coming soon!

Garrett Low
June 2nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
My monitor was delivered but is waiting at home while I'm 30 miles away at work. I won't be able to go play with it until later tonight. :(

John, your set up looks great. My friend has a 5D that he uses for stills (he's got a photog business) but he's been playing a little with the video. Once I get my monitor I'll let him try it to see how things turn out.

Garrett

Anthony Lovell
June 2nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Oh and by the way I tried it outside in direct sunlight and it was still surprisingly viewable. I was expecting it to be pretty much useless without the shade but it does really well. The sunshade is nice though.

My own sunshade barely fits. Ok, it doesn't really fit: one of the receiver slots is not cut well into the aluminum (I know it is the cut and not the plastic tab meant to go into it, as reversing the shade doesn't alleviate the problem at the same corner). I think I am going to wind up filing down the plastic and marking it with some paint so I can recall the orientation that works. Not impressed with this one aspect at all.

tone

John Saunders
June 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
I have the same problem with one of my sunshade posts. And like you said it's not the bracket it's the monitor. I wonder if their cnc model was a little off for that hole.

I do like that it is one piece though and no velcro.

Trevor Meeks
June 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
D1 Unboxing photos posted to my flickr stream at http://www.flickr.com/meeksdigital

They were uploaded from my iPhone so sorry about the typos etc, but when I get home I'll correct those and post the actual photos to the thread directly. I'm super excited to go back home and hook the thing up to my ex1!! More photos coming soon. Enjoy!

Leo Versola
June 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Been testing the monitor on a number of sources, including my HPX-170/SGBlade and HV-20, and I must say that so far, this monitor rocks! The HD resolution is far superior to the 800x480 that I had been using previously.

Agree that the sunshade is a little tenacious but works beautifully. I think the stiffness will diminish after some use.

Kudos to Dale and SmallHD for a fine product and TOP-notch customer service...

Leo Versola
June 2nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
D1 Unboxing photos posted to my flickr stream at http://www.flick.com/meeksdigital

They were uploaded from my iPhone so sorry about the typos etc, but when I get home I'll correct those and post the actual photos to the thread directly. I'm super excited to go back home and hook the thing up to my ex1!! More photos coming soon. Enjoy!

Trevor, you're missing an 'r' in your URL... Here it is fixed:

Flickr: meeksdig's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/meeksdigital)

Trevor Meeks
June 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Trevor, you're missing an 'r' in your URL... Here it is fixed:

Flickr: meeksdig's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/meeksdigital)

Thanks Leo! I fixed it as well in my original post. I was typing on an almost dead iPhone trying to finish before my battery died haha. Had too much fun playing flight control after the new update today.

But I digress... I'm back home now and ready to do some testing with my SmallHD DP1 and Sony EX1 yay!

For those of you who are like me and are somewhat lazy about clicking photo links, here are my unboxing photos. I'll post the rest in my next post. Also, there are descriptions in my flickr stream - I can't put descriptions on my attached images here unfortunately.

Trevor Meeks
June 2nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
More unboxing pix!

Miklos Konczol
June 3rd, 2009, 05:44 AM
Thanks for share!

Is the front frame plastic? it looks like so ugly :(

Miklos Konczol
June 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I mean like this:

Anthony Lovell
June 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
I believe it is aluminum all around. It is not as pretty as you'd think, but looks nicer than the ones with sharp corners with connectors sprouting out the edges. Mine arrived with a few very minor blemishes, but all in all the packaging and presentation was superb for a small new outlet such as SmallHD.

Overall, I think this will be a great first monitor for me, but it is most helpful and ... well... easiest to focus on where it can be improved.

My gripe list, from fairly serious to just suggestions now stands as:

1. button arrangement is very poor. Most strikingly, power button needs to be far from others.
2. sun visor does not fit -- the cases seem to have one mounting hole cut too small. This will be VERY NICE once fixed.
3. a few pixels are still lost at the top edge of the screen, behind the casing.
4. the battery has an LED shining when the connector to feed its juice to the monitor is plugged in. This suggests drainage (how bad? no idae) if you leave the battery connected. My solution for now is to leave the battery in place, but to remove the cable from it until ready to rock.
5. battery clips seem prone to breakage and do not release the battery easily.
6. no manual is supplied... just that one card. One that outlines the calibration process would be nice.
7. AC supply adapter is not the same gadget as the one that charges the battery. It would be nice to seek commonality here. To complete this into the realm of truly nitty: put the SmallHD name on it so I need not worry about confusing it with other devices.

Trevor Meeks
June 4th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Thanks for share!

Is the front frame plastic? it looks like so ugly :(

Miklos, no, the monitor is most certainly not plastic, and it most definitely is not ugly. The front bezel is more of a matte finish than the rest of the housing, apparently to reduce unwanted glare around the screen. It looks beautiful as you can see in the first image (below.) There is also a nice corner detail image below (that I took just for you Miklos) showing the beautiful curved corners of the ALUMINUM housing :-)

You know, I tried all day, but I just can't help it anymore... I have to respond to a few of Anthony's gripes. I'm very impressed with this monitor and I strongly yet respectfully disagree with some [most] of his "negative" points on the monitor.)

My gripe list, from fairly serious to just suggestions now stands as:

1. button arrangement is very poor. Most strikingly, power button needs to be far from others.
2. sun visor does not fit -- the cases seem to have one mounting hole cut too small. This will be VERY NICE once fixed.
3. a few pixels are still lost at the top edge of the screen, behind the casing.
4. the battery has an LED shining when the connector to feed its juice to the monitor is plugged in. This suggests drainage (how bad? no idae) if you leave the battery connected. My solution for now is to leave the battery in place, but to remove the cable from it until ready to rock.
5. battery clips seem prone to breakage and do not release the battery easily.
6. no manual is supplied... just that one card. One that outlines the calibration process would be nice.
7. AC supply adapter is not the same gadget as the one that charges the battery. It would be nice to seek commonality here. To complete this into the realm of truly nitty: put the SmallHD name on it so I need not worry about confusing it with other devices.

1.) The button arrangement is just fine. For how little one will use the buttons, they work very well, and are fairly easy to navigate (even blindly) after spending 10 minutes with the monitor. The card included depicts the buttons as you feel them while looking at the monitor from the front, so you can just reach around the back and click them. Each feels a bit different, and I've never once accidentally hit the power button or had a problem with where it is.

2.) No comment on the sun visor yet, mine is on the way sometime this week when I get around to ordering it. A few other people have mentioned this so I'm interested to see for myself. I have a feeling though, that the parts are just new and need to wear in a bit in order to fit what feels like properly.

3.) I spoke with Dale about this, and it is most certainly not an issue with the front bezel overhanging the screen - it's actually a firmware scaling issue, where the monitor appears to be underscanning the image or something to that effect. He's working on getting this resolved, but it really does not bother me one bit.

4.) How is this a bad thing? All you have to do to power the monitor (and battery) down is unplug the cable from the battery. Again, this does not require the use of the power button since the monitor turns on automatically once power is supplied. Furthermore, I can imagine that the battery (which is what, 26wh?) will power that one tiny LED for over a week, if not more. LEDs hardly drain any power at all. Again, I hardly see this as a negative.

5.) The battery clips are extremely sturdy, and although they are made of plastic, I have never once felt like they would break, even after much use. You do not want them to release the battery too easily, since um, that's the whole point of the battery clips in the first place. A slight pull on the raised tab of one battery clip will release pressure on the battery and allow it to be lifted out. Another thing to do would be to move the brackets as far left and right as possible to make the fit on the battery a bit looser if you wanted. That way you can simply slide the battery to one side (just a bit, there isn't much room for movement, but some!) and then lift it out with almost no effort.

6.) Simplicity is key. I do not see how the "lack" of a manual is a bad thing. The card is informative, just as it needs to be. I don't need a 25 page manual for a little monitor. "Calibration" is easy if you have a basic understanding of color or color correction. Save the environment, use less paper. I think they're on to something...

7. This one is honestly just ridiculous. The monitor uses a very different connector (much larger) than the one on the battery. The USB charge adapter for the battery seems logical, as it is very low profile and is an obvious difference from the voltage out port, which is small enough so as not to wreck the outer casing of the battery (which, I must add, is quite beautiful.)

Please see my other photos below... they are also posted on flickr at Flickr: meeksdig's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/meeksdigital) under the SmallHD DP1 set.

Dale Guthormsen
June 4th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Good Morning,

Well, I am pretty impressed. I received my monitor yesterday. I could not get an image using the yellow video plug. Dug out an old s video cable and it was just fine.

Found my component cable for the H1 this morning and plugged it in and all is well.

I am very impressed with the overall quality of the product!!!

I need a shade to use it outside, through a misunderstanding i did not get one with it, basicly my fault.

Sense I will use it primarily for steadycam work and some wildlife blind shooting I made a simple rear mount.

I simply drilled a 1/4 hole in the rear battery mount for my xlh1 and attached it. Free and easy.

I hate having all the extra cord. Has anyone every tried cutting a component cable to shorten it?

Here is a picture.

Miklos Konczol
June 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Hi, Trevor!

Thanks for Your opinion!

I hope tomorrow my DP1 will arrive. I am so excited.

PS: special thanx for pictures :)

Trevor Meeks
June 4th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hi, Trevor!

Thanks for Your opinion!

I hope tomorrow my DP1 will arrive. I am so excited.

PS: special thanx for pictures :)

You're quite welcome! Enjoy!

Dale Guthormsen
June 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Good evening,

Well, I got the dp 1 out this afternoon in bright sunlight (no hood) and was shooting some close ups with the zoom at 300 mm. This monitor came though in spades!!! I can now easily focus perfectly, see the color (instead of my b&w fu 1000, which is awesome in its own way) and I must say I am very impressed. This will improve my video immensely and I will loose less footage due to less than perfect focus.

This is one of the better investments I have made!!! I was filming a robin pulling a worm out of the ground and I could focus on individual feathers in its face!!!

Dale and Crew, you have not only made a fine product, but it is a terrific service to the video industry!!! Definitely fills a void that was surprisingly unfullfilled till now!!! and for a reasonable price at that!!!!!

Thank You!!

Anthony Lovell
June 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Hi Trevor.

The LED issue was one of unknown magnitude. You're probably correct that it is minor, but we don't know, do we? I thought that a power switch in uncompromised series with the power supply would be superior.

How do you remove your battery? I nearly went for a butter knife to prize it out. I will say that I like how the cable between battery and camera snakes into the battery when it is in the clip, but despite its sleekness I worry about fracturing it.

As to the battery requiring a different transformer than the monitor, this would reduce cost and reduce the amount of gear one must haul around. I mentioned it as number 7 in a list of diminishing magnitude. It's likely that SmallHD has barriers to taking such approaches, but I'm even more sure Dale and company would see the double win such an alteration would provide.

I'm looking forward to using this, my first monitor. It is sharp and compact. Though I have no standard for comparison in brightness, your collective impression tells me I made a good leap of faith in pre-ordering.

tone

Dale Guthormsen
June 7th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Good evening,

1. To disconect the battery you must remove the plug from the battery, not the monitor. I pulled from the monitor and the little light stayed on and being i had used the battery for a fair while it was enough drain to kill it the rest of the way. Easy solution.

2. The yellow video cable will only work on my dv cameras. the hd camera i can not get to come up with it. Interesting my plasma down loads via the yellow cable just fine, do not get that one.

3. The battery clips in and out just fine as far as I am concerned, if it were to break a spare bracket comes with the spare battery.

4. Where can one get short component cables for an xlh1??? I hate coiling up feet of cable, also makes balancing the steady cam a lot tuffer!!!

Will amnd this with color adjustments tomarrow.

Eric Darling
June 8th, 2009, 11:32 AM
1.) The button arrangement is just fine. For how little one will use the buttons, they work very well, and are fairly easy to navigate (even blindly) after spending 10 minutes with the monitor. The card included depicts the buttons as you feel them while looking at the monitor from the front, so you can just reach around the back and click them. Each feels a bit different, and I've never once accidentally hit the power button or had a problem with where it is.

I disagree. The buttons are not elegant. First of all, they are unlabeled. That alone would be easy to overcome if they had a model that followed any other panel I've ever used. But instead, they have a strange left/right thing. It's not a deal breaker by any stretch, but it's just not intuitive, and a reasonable gripe. At least they could have been labeled. It's also a bit strange that they are in back, where you're not able to see their results. I guess that's the logic behind not labeling them...

6.) Simplicity is key. I do not see how the "lack" of a manual is a bad thing. The card is informative, just as it needs to be. I don't need a 25 page manual for a little monitor. "Calibration" is easy if you have a basic understanding of color or color correction. Save the environment, use less paper. I think they're on to something...
I don't want a 25 page manual, either. But a downloadable PDF from SmallHD's web site isn't too much to ask for, I don't think. It would be great to be able to understand some of those esoteric menu items a little bit more fully and quickly.

I'm of the mind that this monitor works very well on a dolly or mini-jib. As such, it belongs in the middle of the monitoring chain. Yet, it has no loop-through capability. That would have been a nice added feature. I understand the limitations are in keeping with its price point. I'm just saying that it should do the job it was intended to do, and do it completely.

All that aside, and especially given its price, this monitor gets a big thumbs up from me. It has a few shortcomings, but all in all, a great value and a nice picture.

Trevor Meeks
June 8th, 2009, 07:09 PM
never said they were elegant ;-) just said they're pretty darn easy to learn. i can blaze through the menus after using the DP1 for only a few days. not trying to start a shitstorm here, but it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

labels perhaps could be added in a later model. loop through... yeah, that would be neat, and maybe we'll see in a later model. there's always the possibility of using a splitter, which would offer the same functionality.

overall I'm really enjoying the DP1. good stuff!

Justin Carlson
June 8th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I've really enjoyed the quality of the DP1. I'm just finishing my shoot in Guatemala and only had 1 problem with it. 3 times on the shoot the monitor would display a random set of vertical colored lines when I would turn it on. If I just powered it off then back on again it would be fine. I need to email Dale when I get back home and find out what's up with that.
Here's a pic of me with the monitor in Guatemala.

Filming in Antigua, Guatemala #2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/66432324@N00/3610072094/)

Garrett Low
June 9th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hi Dale,

I've got a similar setup to yours. I run my Sony CF unit where you've got your monitor and have my monitor off to the left of the cam with a Noga arm. You can buy an extra cable (D5 terminal to component RCA) from a number of places online. I had an extra one so I cut that down and placed some RCA connectors on the other end. It works great and I don't have to contend with the extra long wire. The replacement part it DTC1000 for the Canon. It runs about $50 so it isn't cheap.

Do you or anyone else know if there is a way to get zebras out through the component out on the XL H1a (or event he XH A1)?

Also, how is everyone going about calibrating the monitor. Are you just using the bars coming out of the camera?

I just finished shooting a two day dance show with the DP1 and it worked out great.

Thanks,
Garrett

Leo Versola
June 9th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Also, how is everyone going about calibrating the monitor. Are you just using the bars coming out of the camera?

I just finished shooting a two day dance show with the DP1 and it worked out great.

Thanks,
Garrett

I've just been using the bars out of the camera for initial calibration and then tweak a little here and there...

OT: Hey, guess I missed you at the screening on Sunday; looks like you were involved with a few of the films...

Garrett Low
June 9th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hi Leo,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to go to the screening. I was shooting the dance recital. I worked on Launched and RE:Invention.

How were all the films?

Thanks for the info on calibration. Is there a blue only setting on the DP1?

Garrett

Leo Versola
June 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Hi Leo,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to go to the screening. I was shooting the dance recital. I worked on Launched and RE:Invention.

How were all the films?

Thanks for the info on calibration. Is there a blue only setting on the DP1?

Garrett

Too bad, it was a fun day; 19 films in all. I thought a few were really good, including ours; unbiased opinion of course ;-)

We didn't win the Phase 2 member award this time but still waiting on whether or not we won any others... Maybe we'll catch up at the pitch session if you go?

Unfortunately there is no blue only option. Sometimes I pipe an image in and use that instead; gets close enough...

Cheers,

Warren Kawamoto
June 13th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Where is the DP1 manufactured?

Trevor Meeks
June 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Where is the DP1 manufactured?

North Carolina, USA baby!

Warren Kawamoto
June 14th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Thank you!

Trevor Meeks
June 14th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Thank you!

no prob buddy! the build quality certainly shows - it's American for sure!

You certainly don't see iKan or Marshall putting their monitors in beautifully machined aluminum 'unibody' enclosures! heh... heh...

Shawn Kessler
June 21st, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hello All!!
Has anyone tried runny this monitor into an anton buaer battery yet
curious to see how you do it. The 2 1/2 battery that you can get wont get me
through a day I would like to run it into my 120 brick is this possiable?

Thanks Shawn

Trevor Meeks
June 22nd, 2009, 02:51 AM
Hello All!!

Thanks Shawn

I can't speak for the anton bauers, but I can tell you that the smallHD batteries are well worth the (small) cost. I bought two, and with one in the monitor and one on the charger at all times I can go all day with only seconds of monitor downtime. If I must, I can power the monitor with my Tekkeon MP3450 which will certainly last all day, except there is that obvious weight/mounting difference.

Andrew Dean
June 22nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Hello All!!

Hmm. Interesting question. Mechanically it should be easy. If you have a plate with a powertap on it, then its just a matter of buying an AB powertap to 2.1mm dc adapter cable. Nebtek has one for $55. (which seems oddly high). If you don't already have a plate/tap, then I reckon you could buy a different battery solution for less than the plate and keep the ab for other stuff.

Bigger question is the voltage. Hey Dale, does the DP1 have a published operating voltage range?

If the dp1 is listed as "12v" and thats it, it makes sense. Batteries are often inexact. If a circuit is designed for a 12v battery, it will almost always have a few volts of tolerance. However, there will always be a voltage where something burns up, so you have to err on the side of caution. If the dp1 smokes at 16v, then a 12v battery should be fine, and so would a 14.4 that is run down a bit, but a freshly charged 14.4 could spit out 17v and kaput. (depending on the battery design/quality/etc.) If it smokes at 22v, then the 14.4 should work fine. etc. Since the range is only published as "12v", then I'd suspect the safe range is a few volts in either direction and thats it.

So the three obvious solutions are:

1. If Dale says the 14.4v is safe, you buy the physical adapters to hook the hytron up.
2. If Dale says you need to stick with 12v, so you buy a 12v voltage adapter that spits out a safe 12v from your 14.4. (Pretty cheap and sold for hooking laptops up in cars)
3. If you don't already own the ab tapon plate and also need to convert the voltage down, then you'd probably be able to buy a whole 12v solution (smallhd or otherwise) for the cost of the plate/tapon cable and voltage converter... and free up the AB.

Hope that helps,
-Andrew

Adrian Price
June 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hey all

question for those who have managed to get their hands on the pre-release models...

How easy/hard is it to properly calibrate? I can see that as a focus assist these would be great, but a big issue for me is knowing that what I'm shooting is what i'm recording in terms of colour/exposure etc.

I think I read somewhere that these don't have a blue gun mode?

Terry Martin
June 25th, 2009, 12:59 AM
First off, I have not attempted to calibrate the monitor at all. Given the lack of any documentation and the semi awkward controls, it was not a high priority.

I can report using the monitor to shoot a ballet performance. I color balanced all the cameras by shooting a grey card on stage, so color balance at the monitor was not an issue for me. The great surprise was that the improved resolution (detail) greatly improved exposure control. I previously used a 800x480 monitor which improved focus relative to the XH A1 LCD screen, but now the SmallHD resolution revealed the detail in such things as white ballet tutus. If you have ever shot a ballet, the exposure challenge is that some hot stage light catches a white tutu which goes all white and blows out the detail. The image was not perfectly color balanced, but wow was it sharp. I stopped looking for zebras on the A1 LCD, and just set exposure for good detail on the SmallHD… worked perfectly.

Also, if anyone is interested, I made a simple bracket to strap on a Tekkeon battery to the back of the monitor. The monitor used about 40% of the battery in about 2.5 hours.

Garrett Low
June 25th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Hi Terry,

Do you have any pictures of your strap for the battery?

I recently shot a dance recital and ballet too and it was so much easier with the monitor. I've been meaning to calibrate my SmallHD but haven't had the time since I'm now editing the shows.

Thanks,
Garrett

Adrian Price
June 25th, 2009, 04:10 AM
thanks for the info Terry re yr experiences so far. Sounds very promising. Has anyone else had success calibrating? I'm confused about the blue gun option as I think I read on one of the posts that it doesn't have this but on the website it says blue option is included?

Terry Martin
June 26th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I too am waiting for someone to post a detailed calibration specification (hint hint SmallHD folks). Also, I’ll try to get some Tekkeon battery mount photos up this weekend.

Terry Martin
June 29th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Attached are some photos of a quick battery mount for a Tekkeon battery. It is just a scrap aluminum plate screwed to the back, capturing two Velcro straps.

Terry Martin
June 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM
6/28/09
By request I will report some observations about color balance options, although I am happy with the out of the box performance. Bottom line: Seems mostly accurate, but reds seem less saturated. It looks like a jpg in Adobe RGB, displayed in an sRGB color space.

Testing Methods:
Set up a Canon XH A1 in a room with natural sunlight through a skylight. Step 1, set aperture for 100% zebras on white paper (4.4). Step 2 White balance to a grey card. Step 3, introduce a color chart and compare to DP1 display. As I said very close, with less saturated reds. Photo 1: color chart, Photo 2 color chart on monitor. Note, there is a slight blue cast on photo 2 that was not apparent live. (photos taken with an old Nikon 990)

Looking in the setup menu, there is a color temp option with choices: normal, warm, cool, blue, red, and green. Photo 3 is color bars from the camera in normal mode, and Photo 4 is in “blue” color temp mode. Not sure if this is really a blue gun effect. All modes except normal looked unreal compared to the actual color chart.

Photo 5 is the color adjustment screen. As I said, I am happy in factory “normal” mode, but I just learned that those spyder monitor calibration systems are now inexpensive, so I might get one and use it for all my monitors including the DP1.

Nick Hiltgen
June 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM
For what it's worth I've found a cheap and somewhat effective way of getting the blue gun effect is folding up a CTB gel until all you can see is blue only, which may help out in calibration if the blue only effect isn't really as advertised.

Bill Busby
June 29th, 2009, 08:47 PM
It's no doubt this monitor is amazing (I've yet to purchase one), but advertising having a blue only mode, when... from what I gather, is just a "color temp" setting is very misleading.

Trevor Meeks
June 30th, 2009, 05:23 PM
SmallHD General Ordering will start July 1st!

This e-mail was sent from the folks at SmallHD today:

The Wait for the DP1 is Almost Over

On July 1st at 9PM EST, a freshly updated website will appear at SmallHD.com, which will be open for DP1 and accessory orders. It will include a knowledge base in the form of a Wiki, which will function like an expandable user guide as we continue to get useful feedback from DP1 field testers. A variety of short video tutorials are planned for release shortly after July 1, as well as a periodic video blog which will answer FAQs we get in emails.

DP1 orders beginning July 1 will be shipped within 48 hours of receipt. If initial demand is EXTREMELY high and a backorder situation develops before the middle of July, backordered DP1s will ship around July 22nd. Backordered units will be shipped in the order they are received. In the event of a backorder situation, a backorder announcement will be sent out to the SmallHD mailing list, and an estimated ship date will be posted at the top of the "Store" page of SmallHD.com. More detailed shipping information will be found at SmallHD.com on July 1.

In the past month, we've added several features to the DP1's menu system such as expanded scale options and programmable "overscan" presets (geared toward RED and EX1 users that allow the menu data from each camera to be properly displayed on the DP1), all in addition to finding and fixing a few glitches related to progressive signals.

As for those of you currently in possession of a Pre-ordered DP1, we will soon be announcing a plan/schedule to update the firmware on your unit(s) to include the software additions mentioned above.

Thank you to all,

The SmallHD Team