View Full Version : One last 4.0 beta.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Matt Vanecek
May 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I also get squashing of the preview in CS4 but using HDV footage.

I get the same squashing. I thought maybe it was something in CS4, but I haven't explored it yet.

Thanks,
Matt

Bruce Gruber
May 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Is anyone running XP/64 with CS4? and PHD 4.0? and having any sucess? Also if XP/64 is running are you getting the advertised speed with that like Adobe says you are supposed to be getting with vista/64?

Bruce Gruber
May 8th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Ok I converted captured CF clips 1440x1080 60i 30fps to 1920x1080 deinterlaced same frame rate. I created a HDV 1080p project. I dropped all the clips into the project about 40min worth.

I set export/media low quality Ntsc wide/ 720x480 still not filling the width!!! and fiel progressive. It exported took 6 hours but it exported.

Imported to Encore and went to transcode and crash. I I created a new project in PPCS4 DV 720x480 30fps. then I ued the dynamic link to take to Encore and it transcoded the project. Thats what I have so far!

Tim Bickford
May 8th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Bruce,

I'm running Premiere Pro CS4 with the latest Prospect HD 4.0 Beta on Vista-64 i7 processor with 12 Gig of Ram. Aside from no real time Cineform effects it works fine. I have not put it through extensive testing yet. However, there is no doubt that renders a considerably faster. I do a lot less waiting around for rendering these days.

Tim

Bruce Gruber
May 8th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Hi Tim can you share your setting you are using from cf capture,to new project settings in pp to your output settings when you output to media.

I posted a PDF file a few posts back, are you seeing any loss I. Width when scaling down to 720x480

Tim Bickford
May 8th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Bruce,

I will run some tests and then post the results.

Tim

Marty Hudzik
May 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Bruce,

I'm running Premiere Pro CS4 with the latest Prospect HD 4.0 Beta on Vista-64 i7 processor with 12 Gig of Ram. Aside from no real time Cineform effects it works fine. I have not put it through extensive testing yet. However, there is no doubt that renders a considerably faster. I do a lot less waiting around for rendering these days.

Tim

I am running CS4 on Vista 64 with a 3.2 GHZ Intel Quad and 8GB RAM. I can honestly say that the I don't see much difference between running CS4 in XP 32bit and Vista 64bit. Yes, I have more RAM accesible and can run multiple programs a little easier, but it did not decrease my render times at all. And to be clear, my render times had increased when moving from Cs3 to CS4 in WIndows XP 32bit. I was frustrated out the wazoo by this as it was not a little increase. I was seeing double and triple render times on HDV 1080 24P mpg renders.

I then read all the hype of Adobe 64bit optimization and went out and bought Vista 64 and additional 4 gigs of RAM, setup a dual boot system and spent the weekend doing a clean install of Vista 64bit and CS3 and CS4 Suites, only to get the same results. However, now when Premiere CS4 takes up near 3.5 gigs RAM with a single 30minute HDV clip on the timeline, I can breathe a sigh of relief as I still have 4.5gb free. In XP, CS4 was killing my resources.

To be fair, I really like Vista 64 in most ways. It is snappy and fast and feels so much more polished. In some ways Premiere has been a little more stable too. But it did not really increase render times at all....which was my biggest concern.

Marty Hudzik
May 8th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Tim,
Just out of curiosity, have you compared CS3 render times to CS4? I know you say your render times are much quicker, but I am wondering what your reference is. Because to me CS4 is much slower than CS3 when it comes to rendering. also, did you ever try CS4 in XP so you have a good comparison to make with the 64bit OS. and finally, if you upgraded to CS4 and Vista 64 and all hardware at the same time, it would be hard to tell what exactly was giving you improved performance. Did you run the same hardware in XP first and then upgrade?

Sorry to hijack this thread. Perhaps we can take this conversation to a new thread if we need to.

Marty

Tim Bickford
May 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Bruce,

The test clip that I used was shot with a Canon XL H1 and captured via HD-link approximately one year ago.

Video Clip Properties
1440x1080
23.976fps
Aspect Ratio: 1.3333
Cineform: AVI
Pixel depth 32

Since there are no Cineform presets (YET) with Prospect HD-4.0, I created a HD project using the following P-Pro CS-4 preset:

HDV 1080p24

When I placed a segment of video into the timeline I get the yellow bar status above the clip. The clip appears to playback fine. There is no skipping or bumpy playback. The only way to remove the yellow bar status is to apply an effect and render or to apply the 32 bit cineform force render. For this test I just left the clip in the yellow bar status.

I exported a short segment in the timeline using the following settings:

Format: Cineform AVI file
Preset: Custom
Encoding Quality: High Quality
GOP length: I-Frames only
Video Width: 720
Video Height: 480
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 16x9
Frame Rate: 23.976
Field Type: Progressive

RESULTS:

The Frame rate converts to 29.97. Everything else looks fine. I cannot get it to use the project frame rate of 23.976

Can you post your settings. I'll try to duplicate.

Tim

Tim Bickford
May 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I use to run CS3 on XP-PRO 32bit with 2gig of ram. I work with a lot of video that is shot in the dark, Therefore I use noise filter effects + do a lot of color correction. Renders that took 3 to 4 minutes now take 30 seconds. I wish that I could do side by side comparisons. Unfortunately I cannot. I used parts from my old machine on the new one.

I'm not sure how much the i7 processor contributes to the speed. But, I've noticed that a lot more ram gets used. I also can multitask to my hearts content while editing.

I'm assuming that you are using CS4 4.0.1 ?

All I can say is that CS4 on my Vista-64 bit machine is considerably faster.

Bruce Gruber
May 8th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Bruce,

The test clip that I used was shot with a Canon XL H1 and captured via HD-link approximately one year ago.

Video Clip Properties
1440x1080
23.976fps
Aspect Ratio: 1.3333
Cineform: AVI
Pixel depth 32

Since there are no Cineform presets (YET) with Prospect HD-4.0, I created a HD project using the following P-Pro CS-4 preset:

HDV 1080p24

When I placed a segment of video into the timeline I get the yellow bar status above the clip. The clip appears to playback fine. There is no skipping or bumpy playback. The only way to remove the yellow bar status is to apply an effect and render or to apply the 32 bit cineform force render. For this test I just left the clip in the yellow bar status.

I exported a short segment in the timeline using the following settings:

Format: Cineform AVI file
Preset: Custom
Encoding Quality: High Quality
GOP length: I-Frames only
Video Width: 720
Video Height: 480
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 16x9
Frame Rate: 23.976
Field Type: Progressive

RESULTS:

The Frame rate converts to 29.97. Everything else looks fine. I cannot get it to use the project frame rate of 23.976

Can you post your settings. I'll try to duplicate.

Tim

Hi Tim thanks. When you went to export/media to 720x480 in the output monitor did you notice that the preview did not fit the width (see my attachmet in my previous post)?

What effect if any would it have on the quality of a CF captures file If I dropped it in a NTSC/wide preset project and rendered to a CF.avi? Will it effect the quality of the orginal or is a project setting just a temp preview.

I am doing that now and the preview did fit the output monitor on that tab. It taking me 8 hours to render 50 min but that something to work on.

Bruce Gruber
May 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Tim,
Just out of curiosity, have you compared CS3 render times to CS4? I know you say your render times are much quicker, but I am wondering what your reference is. Because to me CS4 is much slower than CS3 when it comes to rendering. also, did you ever try CS4 in XP so you have a good comparison to make with the 64bit OS. and finally, if you upgraded to CS4 and Vista 64 and all hardware at the same time, it would be hard to tell what exactly was giving you improved performance. Did you run the same hardware in XP first and then upgrade?

Sorry to hijack this thread. Perhaps we can take this conversation to a new thread if we need to.

Marty

Hi Marty,

have you been able to get anything to export to 720x480?

Marty Hudzik
May 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hi Marty,

have you been able to get anything to export to 720x480?

Bruce,
Sorry but I do not much of anything in SD these days. So I cannot comment on that. I will say this. As long as I have been working in the HD world, I have never been able to get a full frame 16x9 export to SD. I usually render to mpg2 from Adobe Media Encoder and when I choose the 16x9 mpg2 preset the video is always just a few pixels short on the sides. So the resulting mpg2 files usually have a little black bar to the left and right. This has always happened to me when downconverting and I have heard this complaint of others too.

Since I hardly every go back to SD I rarely see this so I have not put any effort into resolcing it at this point.

Bruce Gruber
May 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM
See I need to output to both because all my clients do not have hd this is where cineform really comes into play for me they compress to SD so good I can not live without if for my clients that need Sd

Marty Hudzik
May 8th, 2009, 12:05 PM
See I need to output to both because all my clients do not have hd this is where cineform really comes into play for me they compress to SD so good I can not live without if for my clients that need Sd

To be clear, this issue just arrived with CS4? Did it exist in CS3 also? For me I have seen it in both, but I do not export to Cineform SD .avi files, I go straight to mpg2 for DVD authoring. Also, is what I described the same issue you are having? I only see a little bit of black on the far left and right edges.

Marty

Bruce Gruber
May 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
To be clear, this issue just arrived with CS4? Did it exist in CS3 also? For me I have seen it in both, but I do not export to Cineform SD .avi files, I go straight to mpg2 for DVD authoring. Also, is what I described the same issue you are having? I only see a little bit of black on the far left and right edges.

Marty

Hi Marty correct just started with cs4 but I alway use CF to compress first because Adobe's compressor stinks for compressing sd then I take the CF. Avi into encore for final transcoding and menus the picture is unbelivable for SD

Simon Zimmer
May 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Wow!

It seems to be worse now.

If I place a cineform .avi on the timeline and check out the movie by scanning through the video with the time marker it crashes after the second try. I always get the importerprocessserver error now.

I am using PPCS4, Vista Business 64 and have 12 GB and 2 quad quores.

This is not fun!

:((((((

Simon
p.s.
I am using the latest beta version of Prospect HD

Tim Bickford
May 8th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Bruce,

You are correct. Viewing the output (tab) in the Export Settings monitor I do notice that the video does not completely fill the window. Looks like your screen capture. When imported into a DV 720x480 - 16x9 project there is also some space around the outside edge of the video. However, I'm not sure it matters. I right clicked on the clip and selected scale to frame. No change. I'm not sure there is an issue here. Can you upload a segment to rapidshare. I'll take a look at it???

What is the ratio of your original clips? I'm thinking that you may have to do some letter boxing What camera did you shoot your original video with?

Simon Zimmer
May 8th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hi Tim,

Should I be doing a support ticket for all these crashes or should I just keep posting here when something NEW happens?

I am assuming that the release of Prospect HD won't happen until after the BIG Adobe updates?

:(

By the way, I never have any crashes in AECS4 if that helps. Cineform likes AECS4 but

HATES

PPCS4

:(

Bruce Gruber
May 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Tim
Captured 108060i new Sony Z5u captured with CF resizing (none) so that gives me A 1440x1080 do me a favor create a new timeline Dv NTSC wide use one of the presets. Now drop the same clip into the time line. Now go to export/ media select CF.avi check your pixel size should be 720x480 wide . Now look at the output tab it fits doesent it?
I am at work right now I am using my I phone so I can not send a sample until I get home
Bruce

Matt Vanecek
May 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Wow!
I always get the importerprocessserver error now.

I haven't seen any chronic ImporterProcessServer crashes while working in PPCS4 proper. It does happen, though. It'd probably happen more if I used it many hours every single day. However, the ImporterProcessServer *does* crash when encoding a PPCS4 long sequence using the Cineform exporter AND using the Cineform codec (Microsoft AVI, Cineform codec--that was before I noticed the Cineform exporter). I can't get a (1:45:00) CFHD to export. It appears to be working fine as a DV export, though. It's been going for about 4 hours, with another 7 to go, so I'll know later, if I stay up that late, whether the DV export worked.

Tim Bickford
May 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Simon,

I'm thinking that Cineform would prefer to work these bugs out before the final release. They want the feedback. They posted a separate thread for First Light (FL) issues. Cineform requested that all FL issues be emailed to Tim Bucklin. I do not know how Prospect HD-4 issues are being reported.

It's not my place. But.... I suggest starting a new thread called "Prospect HD 4.0 (Windows) - ISSUES" or something like that. I'm not sure if you can submit a ticket on a product that is in Beta release.

My two cents...

Tim

Tim Bickford
May 8th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Bruce,

Check your email. I just sent you a PM

Tim

Bruce Gruber
May 9th, 2009, 03:09 PM
This thread is getting too quiet. Tim choosing the name and location of the file in the export media before sending to AME made no differance. I am gong thru and deleting everything I created with PP4, media cash every thing and I am going to try a fresh capture again. My clips are showing the correct dimension and pixel sizes.

Dave N are you still out there have not heard from you fo a while>

Has anyone been able to to get CR.avi clips all the way thru CS4 and thru ENCORE.

Bruce Gruber
May 9th, 2009, 05:33 PM
fresh capture of 108060i captured at 1920x1080.. tried to export to AMC uncompressed.avi not CF importserver crash again.. This time I was not trying to output to a cineform file athough the orginal file is captured with HD link. next tried to output to blu-ray using AME same error..

Cameron Smeal
May 9th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Just tried an experiment with a large 20 GB CF .avi in CS4. Scrubbing through and moving around the timeline. Tried to just play the clip out end to end. ImporterProcessServer crash occurred pretty quickly, around 1/2 way through. Took the same file and simply played it out in Windows Media Player. Guess what? Crashed the player at exactly the same spot.

Not entirely sure what this means other than the file is just way too large, but interesting that both CS4 and WMP give up at around the 10 GB mark.

Glenn Babcock
May 9th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Interesting. I tried a small file, less than a gig. I put it in a timeline, scrubbed around, ImporterProcessServer crashes. This was an HDV file I converted to CineForm with HDLink.

Based on this I'm not so sure it's related to large files.

Bruce Gruber
May 10th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I have found some other prople that are having the same issue and I do not believe they use Cinefrom. the first link is to problem solving. the second link is refering to certian .dlls that might be bad. I am trying to look into this but I have pictures I have to take today.

Troubleshooting - Adobe Premiere Pro (http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting)
Adobe Forums: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped... (http://forums.adobe.com/message/1748755#1748755)

Here is where I found the issus

Adobe Forums: Search (http://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?resultTypes=DOCUMENT&resultTypes=MESSAGE&resultTypes=COMMUNITY&resultTypes=TASK&resultTypes=PROJECT&resultTypes=SOCIAL_GROUP&resultTypes=COMMENT&peopleEnabled=true&q=importer+server+stopped+working+)

Glenn Babcock
May 10th, 2009, 05:25 AM
The thing is, without ProspectHD installed my setup is rock solid. With it installed, I get the crash every time. The crash report (see below) refers to CFHDDecoder.dll, and there's only one of those (\Program Files(x86)\CineForm\Tools).

I've tried re-downloading and re-installing several times with no success. For the heck of it, I even tried replacing CFHDDecoder.dll with the one in v3.4. That doesn't work at all (no surprise).

I also tried booting into my Vista 32-bit OS and installing it there. Same crash.

At this point I'm going to wait for CineForm to debug this. I'm sure they'll post an update soon!

Regards,
Glenn

Windows 7 64-bit Release Candidate build 7100
Adobe Master Collection CS4
Dell XPS420
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz - Quadcore
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (185.85)

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ImporterProcessServer.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 491896d7
Fault Module Name: CFHDDecoder.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.5.0.30
Fault Module Timestamp: 49ffb07d
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000d7ca
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Cameron Smeal
May 10th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Yep, happenned again with small files for me too. I just ran all my HDV through CF again to be sure they were all converted using the same beta. ImporterProcessServer crashed again, even with tiny .avi's, no effects, no transitions, just three small clips in a row. Crashed and burnt. This really is very frustrating. Another day down the tube where I should be editing.

I've opened at ticket with Adobe but I don't think this will get far. I don't get any reference to CFHD in the problem report. I get:

Product
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4

Problem
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
10/05/2009 5:37 PM

Status
Report Sent

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe
Application Version: 4.0.1.0
Application Timestamp: 49189711
Hang Signature: 5900
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Hang Signature 1: 64c52fb9b3417f2582abb3b261948e95
Additional Hang Signature 2: 72df
Additional Hang Signature 3: fbfdf505761a35916c1bf2106958c8ff
Additional Hang Signature 4: 5900
Additional Hang Signature 5: 64c52fb9b3417f2582abb3b261948e95
Additional Hang Signature 6: 72df
Additional Hang Signature 7: fbfdf505761a35916c1bf2106958c8ff

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 388725140

Glenn, I'm starting to think you're right though. My system was reasonably stable before CF. I will keep testing but I'm thinking of uninstalling CF to see how things run. If it gets stable then I will know where things are going wrong. Not entirely sure where to go without a stable CF though....

Glenn Babcock
May 10th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Cameron,

Maybe it's an OS thing, but I actually get two crashes. First ImporterProcessServer crashes. That's the crash report I posted. Second Premiere hangs (it's waiting for ImporterProcessServer to respond). That looks like the crash report you posted.

Do you get a crash report for ImporterProcessServer?

Regards,
Glenn

Bruce Gruber
May 10th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Ok here is what I am trying now!! unfourtnatly I will not be home to see the outcome I have to leave in a few minuets and wont be back until 5. I did a system search for

IPPMPEGDecoder.dll

I found this in PP, ENCORE,Adobemedia encoder ect. What I did id take the one from PPCS4 and put in in Adobe media encoder folder over writing the one thats in ther now. Re booted and started.

export/media and Cinaform.avi 720x480. its been processing for over a hour now and no crashs I would have had one 30 min ago by now. I think it the AME not PPcs4

location of IPPMPEGDecoder.dll is x86/programliles adobe then what ever program like Premier Pro CS4
Encore CS4

I forgot to mention the system seems to be running very stable CPU abot 60% and ram about 50%

Cameron Smeal
May 10th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Glenn, yes that is what I just posted.

Also, can anyone confirm that these are right for the Adobe Common Plug-in's folder:

CFHD_AVI_Importer
CFHD_File_Exporter
CFHD_MOV_Importer
CFRenderProc

Cameron Smeal
May 10th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Call me crazy but just for fun I thought I would try pushing the raw .mt2 files around without any CF. Result - around 30 mins of pure editing joy at full 1080/25p, several transitions and effects, minimal rendering required, CPU at around 35% and RAM at 45%. No ImporterProcessServer crashes, no hangs, no problems. CS4 just screams along.

Tell me again why I've spent nearly 2 weeks out of action with CF or is that the dumbest statement this post has seen?

Bruce Gruber
May 10th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Hi Camron
Was that file captured with cf? Or is it captured thru pp?
Bruce

Glenn Babcock
May 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I've tried editing projects that didn't have any CF files in them, just HDV captured with Premiere and AVCHD files, PP4 runs like I uninstalled ProspectHD. About the same thing either way though, I still can't use CF.

I'm getting decent performance editing HD without CF as long as I don't mess around too much with effects. I can put three HD tracks into a multi-camera edit and it's real time. But where I was really looking at CF was for color correction.

CF has me spoiled already with the ability to apply color correction and preview it in real/near-real time, either with FirstLight or using PP CF color effects. I'm also impressed with the quality of the CF color correction. But I can't get through a workflow with it. :-(

Regards,
Glenn

Cameron Smeal
May 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Bruce - these were captured with PP. I've tried both clips from Compact Flash (I use an HVR-Z7P) and clips injected from tape. Taking CF out of the picture my system screams along merrily.

Glenn - Same result here. I haven't tried too many effects (that will be the next test). I'm with you in that I was looking to CF for maintaining a format and quality through the workflow, as well as being able to colour correct, break-out all my clips from tape into a nice package. The apparent performance gain was going to be a bonus really, and something to delay buying a new quad core or having to go down the Matrox route.

So far though, all CF has given me is a headache, system instability and real loss of productivity. My Proavio RAID 5 array has rebuilt itself 3 times now since installing CF and without it, it is now rock solid.

Guys, I really feel like I am missing the point here in a big way. This thread seems to have gone quite quiet too and it appears it's just us new boots struggling to find an answer.

Or it it just me....? Can either of you tell me if editing MPEG is really that bad if performance seems fine? I am losing quality doing this?

Matt Vanecek
May 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Cameron,
M2T was not intended to be a pro editing format. Perhaps it works well enough for hobbyists. And with hardware/software advances, and a little patience for rendering effects, most modern NLEs can handle editing M2T. But it's not an editing format.

Most of us are providing feedback and biding time, because we know the reputation and history of Cineform vs. Adobe. We are fully confident that Cineform will be able to adapt to the CS4 mess (really, you just DON'T change programming APIs without providing a compatibility layer!! That's just idiotic!). Patience is the key, and having a workflow that allows you to get work done in a reasonable manner while at the same time providing feedback to Cineform. If you have time-critical items, then you're probably better off editing in CS3/before, or not using Cineform (if you have CS4) until CS4 has been stabilized.

Thanks,
Matt

Cameron Smeal
May 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Matt, thank you for a great, straight answer. Apologies if these questions are stupid, but that is why I am on this forum - to learn from others and to contribute when I can.

This is largely what I thought, though can I ask if there is a degradation in quality when moving MPEG around?

Gil Reitsma
May 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Hello Cameron

I also use Mainconcept's Mpeg Pro Hd which does a very good with mt2 files. Infact comparing a first generation render with Cineform using some color correction ( Colorista- Magic Bullet) etc, to me it seems sharper.

It is not yet available for PPCS4

Gil

Bruce Gruber
May 11th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Ok here is what I am trying now!! unfourtnatly I will not be home to see the outcome I have to leave in a few minuets and wont be back until 5. I did a system search for

IPPMPEGDecoder.dll

I found this in PP, ENCORE,Adobemedia encoder ect. What I did id take the one from PPCS4 and put in in Adobe media encoder folder over writing the one thats in ther now. Re booted and started.

export/media and Cinaform.avi 720x480. its been processing for over a hour now and no crashs I would have had one 30 min ago by now. I think it the AME not PPcs4

location of IPPMPEGDecoder.dll is x86/programliles adobe then what ever program like Premier Pro CS4
Encore CS4

I forgot to mention the system seems to be running very stable CPU abot 60% and ram about 50%

Ok my resaults:
this did process all the way!!! the exact same timeline that would not allow me to export before without getting importprocess error, before I swaped IPPMPEGDecoder.dll...... this was a 50 min timeline. But now the disapointing resaults. Encore would crash 2min into transcosding ( again I am trying to output to mpeg-2DVD) again I need to output to both BD and DVD mostly DVD right now!

Bruce Gruber
May 11th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Bruce - these were captured with PP. I've tried both clips from Compact Flash (I use an HVR-Z7P) and clips injected from tape. Taking CF out of the picture my system screams along merrily.

Hi Cameron thanks, I was just curious. I would expect that PP would scream along with the standard file. and I agree CF files are not running correctly right now. I susupect that part of the speed issue is that they do not have their excelerator operating in CS4.

Trust me when it comes to their compressor it is the best that I have found and Demoed? But the bigger underlying problem is what its the problem with the importer server crash is all about?

Cameron Smeal
May 11th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks Gil. I've been looking at Mainconcept too, but as you note, it seems we are all waiting for CS4.

Bruce - Yes, until the importer server crash issue is sorted out, I certainly can't have CF in my workflow unfortunately.

Any Cineform people out there with an update?

David Taylor
May 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Fixing the CS4-PPro issues are our highest priority. We're working hard on it, but we haven't had new information to report yet. Stay tuned....

Bruce Gruber
May 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks Dave!

I am trying build 209? I did not notice a new build was posted Friday. I ununstalled CS4 and re unstalled before I installed 209 build! I am giving it a go again!! Luckly I have a brand new computer and no time critical projects for antoher 2 weeks. If need be I will do another fresh install of Visat/64 because I have nothing else on my pc at the moment.

Simon Zimmer
May 11th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the update David.

Glad to hear it is priority #1.

Simon

Bruce Gruber
May 11th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Ok build 209 no luck improter server error again! it was worth a try!! I tried rendering first. I tried not rendering. No differance. I tried low med and high quality no go!

Did you think about creating 1 preset for us to test to see if that is causing the problem? Its like Adobe really does not know what to do with the file?

Matt Vanecek
May 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Matt, thank you for a great, straight answer. Apologies if these questions are stupid, but that is why I am on this forum - to learn from others and to contribute when I can.

This is largely what I thought, though can I ask if there is a degradation in quality when moving MPEG around?

Ain't no stupid questions, except ones you don't ask.

Cineform has a nice article on their techblog comparing Cineform AVIs to M2T encodes through various generations. I think it was Cineform. Maybe it was a review of Cineform? I don't remember the exact link, but maybe somebody else does, or you can search for it. The generational loss with Cineform was much less than with M2T. One article I read pointed to a pixel comparison program to compare pixels, and through generations of encoding, Cineform had fewer differing pixels from the original than the M2T.

Again, I don't remember the link--I'm already a convert, so I don't bother to bookmark those things (which is not conducive to providing sourced references :( ). You might want to search on it yourself.

Thanks,
Matt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, here's a link: http://techblog.cineform.com/?tag=quality.
There's one out in the wild, too--a review that the writer used a pixel-comparison program as part of the review, to provide a mathematical quantification to the generational loss. Can't remember the link, though. :(

Michael Panfeld
May 11th, 2009, 11:17 PM
OK, so I installed CS4 and the Build 209 tonight and then opened an existing CS3 project. It was a complete failure in four respects.

First, without changing anything (As the project was already finished), I tried to export. As soon as I touched File /Export /Media Premiere crashed. I've never had Premiere crash before so seeing the error report form was somewhat of a shock.

Second, I tried to render the video previews. It chugged along until it hit a cineform clip. Then it stopped. I canceled and tried to render again. Nothing. It will not render the Cineform clips. Nor will it go past them

Third, the clips that it did render now appear to have been squished down to the lower third of the screen. The rest of the screen is black. Moreover, the image is extremely distorted as if seen through an anamorphic projector lens (twice). Strangely, the audio is perfect. However, although this particular clip (within the 8 min movie) is green indicating it has rendered, the squished lower third image goes completely to black part way though. I note that this is actually an AEP file imported from after effects.

Lastly, every time I open the project in Premiere, it re generates the peak files.

This project worked perfectly in CS3 with Prospect HD 3.4. Absolutely a complete failure in cs4.

XP Pro 32 bit
ASUS p5e
Quad Core 3.0 9650 Yorkfield chip
4 Gig DDR3 RAM
GeForce 9800 GX2

Bruce Gruber
May 12th, 2009, 05:30 AM
ok once agin I am just testing. I could not get 209 build to work with CS3 it was going to try a bunch of different things betewwen cs3 and cs4 but I could not get it to import cf fies. has anyone been able to or try build 209 with cs3 on vista/64.