View Full Version : One last 4.0 beta.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

David Newman
May 1st, 2009, 10:35 PM
When had hoped to get the full release out today, but a few more tweaks needed has pushed that until early next week, so get you credit cards ready. :)

To compensate for the delay there is new beta will an additional 15-day trial, so no one should be stuck without software.

This beta also includes:
-- CS4 Export module for AVI and MOVs (giving you 32-bit float renders/export from CS4.)
-- The first public beta of First Light.
-- many other smaller tweaks.

Of course First Light is the big new feature, but we have a few things to fix before its 1.0 is done.
- Firstly you will need .Net Framework 3.5 installed to run First Light, get it here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en
- This issues we are working on:
1) There are issues with some graphics cards causing playback to be slow. If one CPU is pegged, that is you graphics driver using software emulation rather than hardware scaling.
2) Chaning the playback size is not working on all systems, it can hang.
3) Some clips aren't fully compatible yet, causing crashes or hangs (kill FPplayer.exe and/or FirstLight.exe if it locks.)
4) Histograms are not in yet.
5) HDSDI output not in yet.
6) Database export and import not in yet.
7) There is no audio during FirstLight playback

Items 1 through 3 will be addressed next week, and the others will follow.

The rest of the build is pretty solid, with only the playback engine for CS4 remaining to be completed for CS4 users, CS3 users are all set.

Download it here:
NEO HD http://02bb6aa.netsolhost.com/downloads/NeoHDv401b207-090501.zip
NEO 4K http://02bb6aa.netsolhost.com/downloads/Neo4Kv401b207-090501.zip
Prospect HD http://02bb6aa.netsolhost.com/downloads/ProspectHDv401b207-090501.zip
Prospect 4K http://02bb6aa.netsolhost.com/downloads/Prospect4Kv401b207-090501.zip

Tim Bickford
May 2nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
David,

I just installed the "last beta". I do not see first light under video effects. I'm I missing something.

EDIT. Never Mind. I thought First Light was going to be used within P-Pro. I did not realize that it is a stand alone tool.

Thanks...

Mark Duckworth
May 2nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
Where are we supposed to post problems. I cant get Firstlight to run at all. I keep getting a CLR20r3 error. I have Net 3.5 installed. Running Vista 64 though, is that a problem?

Carlos Bustamante
May 2nd, 2009, 04:51 AM
I'm also not able to get firstlight started. Same facts as mentioned by Mark. HDLink seems to function as it should, capturing and converting. PPCS4 shows no Cineform Presets, however the effects are all available and the CFavis run smoothly most of the time.

Gil Reitsma
May 2nd, 2009, 05:39 AM
Carlos, I have the same problems.

HDlink works, but nothing else. Cannot see presets, nor how to export using cineform.

Also running Vista Business 64

Gil

Glenn Babcock
May 2nd, 2009, 05:56 AM
David,

Thanks for the new Beta! Looks like you guys worked late on a Friday to get this out. Appreciate it!

Can't wait for the playback engine in CS4. Credit card is burning up in my hand! :-)

Having the same problem with First Light as others. Confirmed that I have .NET Framework 3.5.1. Of course, I'm on a pre-release OS so I'm not a great test case. Details below.

Regards,
Glenn

Windows 7 64-bit Release Candidate build 7100
Dell XPS420
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz - Quadcore
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (Prerelease - WDDM 1.1)

First Light crash report:
Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: firstlight.exe
Problem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 49fb78fc
Problem Signature 04: PresentationFramework
Problem Signature 05: 3.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 49d44a46
Problem Signature 07: 624f
Problem Signature 08: e1
Problem Signature 09: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParse
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Bruce Gruber
May 2nd, 2009, 06:41 AM
I also go to launch first light and it does not open. vista/64 bit also did I miss something but I do not see the CF presets. Prospect HD.

Thanks Bruce

Bruce Gruber
May 2nd, 2009, 07:13 AM
I am having the same problem as Gil also. I can not see where to export using CF? I can be very stupid at time so I might have missed reading someting But I can not see how to export using CF.
Sorry I am usining Premier Pro CS4

Thanks

Bill Ravens
May 2nd, 2009, 07:22 AM
HDLINK and FirstLight working fine, here. Unfortunately, HDLINK still crashes attempting to convert XDCAM HD files recorded from FlashXDR. Was this ever fixed in v4.0 ?

Tim Bickford
May 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Same here. First Light will not open.

David Newman
May 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
HDLINK and FirstLight working fine, here. Unfortunately, HDLINK still crashes attempting to convert XDCAM HD files recorded from FlashXDR. Was this ever fixed in v4.0 ?

We haven't claimed FlashXDR support yet. Have to get everything else working before we work the corner cases.

Bill Ravens
May 2nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
NP...thanx, David

David Newman
May 2nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
With so many failures for First Light starting up, there much be a missing distribution component. For those with issues please download Dependency Walker (it is free) then drag FirstLight.exe into it, it will tell you if there are missing DLLs.

This is not an OS issue, as I've personally run it on XP, XP64 and Vista 64, likely a requirement for a debug component that shouldn't be part of a distribution (unfortunately Depends is showing nothing odd here.)

David Newman
May 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
Presets are not included for CS4 as there require the missing playback engine.

Gil,
What issues are you having with CS4 export?

Ruben Torrejon
May 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
I can launch First Light but whenever I try to open a Cineform file a get this message:

Invalid File Type. The file "------.avi" is not a valid Cineform file, or is corrupted.

Tried with different files but same results.

Ruben

David Newman
May 2nd, 2009, 10:14 AM
Ruben,

This is more the type of bug what we expected, we have seen that, but mainly on on developement PCs, so we are chasing that down. Try new encode, just it case.

Ruben Torrejon
May 2nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
None have worked so far. The few times where I got no error message I could play the file with no image at all...

David Newman
May 2nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
That is the Graphics Card issue, it is playing you just can see it. We have seen that so it is on the list. Unfortunately there are clearly more on the list than we thought. However, all these things a likely minor system specific tweaks, as First Light demod flawlessly at NAB, so we are very close.

Rick Casillas
May 2nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
David,

I downloaded Dependancy Walker and it looks like 2 files are missing.

IESHIMS.DLL
WER.DLL

Those files are listed in red and states "error opeining file. The system cannot find...

System:

Win XP SP3
gForce 8800 GTS
Quad CPU Q9550 2.83Gz

Jay Bloomfield
May 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
I mentioned this before, but it's not that important, given all the other things that you need to do. If you have both CS3 and CS4 installed, the Prospect HD installer will only install Cineform components to the CS4 folders. I got around this by manually extracting and installing the CS3 components. The installer should either ask which version you want installed or it should install both. This isn't that big a deal in the long run, because most people that have CS4 will eventually uninstall CS3.

Else, both the CS3 and CS4 versions run like a charm (Vista x64, nVidia 9800GT-182 series drivers, .Net 3.5 installed) in both PP and AE. I didn't try anything with Encore CS3, since I rarely use it. First Light just crashes when you try to run it (same error as the Windows 7 dump listed in this thread).

Problem Signature 06: 4858c681
Problem Signature 07: 6259
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

I am only missing IESHIMS.DLL. Also, why does First Light call the 64 bit version of .Net (mscoree.dll)? Is it looking in the wrong Windows system folder for Vista x64?

Tim Bickford
May 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Looks like GPSVC.DLL issue.

How to fix it now.

Bruce Gruber
May 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Ok no presets for now correct? What PPcs4 project setting would work best for now. About the export to CF.avi. its just not there I think that is what Gil was trying to say if you go to export to media Cineform is not an option?

I also noticed something when I import a captures CF.avi from a previous capture cs4 generates peak files which is normal. But every time I close and reopen the project it regenerates the peak files? Shouldn’t they stay once generated.

Thanks Bruce

Gil Reitsma
May 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Hello David

Ran the "Walker" and got errors
----------------------------------------------------------

Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

IESHIMS - Error opening file. The system cannoy find the file specified (2)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I can email the saved file from Dependency Walker if it is a help

Thanks Bruce... That is what I meant about export.

It works fine in PPCS3

Gil

Jay Bloomfield
May 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Ieshims.dll is part of Internet Explorer and is found in the folder where IE resides. Vista x64 users should have both the 32 bit (C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer) and the 64 bit (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer) versions of the library file.

It's easy to eliminate this error in the Dependency Walker, by just copying the 32 bit version of Ieshims.dll to the C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools folder, but this does nothing for the crashes of First Light.

Ray Parkes
May 2nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Dual boot system
On Vista x64 CS4 crashed at launch the 1st time but opened OK the 2nd. Opened and plays an old CF project. Scrubs but playback is a little ragged audio is fine.
There are no CF capture options.
AE renders very nicely with a 32 bit project but AE crashed once the render had completed.
HD link captures with no problems.
First Light crashed at launch.

On XP x64 CS3 launched a new 25p project but CS3 crashes when importing CF footage. Crashes when opening old projects.
Capture in CS3. The computer crashed and restarted after transcoding had finished but the captured footage was OK.
HD Link freezes and stops the camera a Sony V1 when trying to capture.
First Light crashes.
AE renders 32 bit but very very slowly.
This boot runs well with CF version 3

Bruce Gruber
May 2nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
HD LINK WORKS FINE. I recaptured footage from tape. Imported to PP no problem project setting HDV 108060i since it is not a CF project I have all yellow bars at the top because I did not render. I used the dynamic link to take the project into Encore no problem, and used HD menus and took the project to SD using Encore compressor. Dvd played fine except THE COMPRESSION WAS BAD I MISS CF COMPRESSOR.

NOTE VIDEO WAS CHOPPY IN ENCORE. NEXT NOTE WHEN TRANSCODING CPU IS MAXED! 100% any input on maxing the cpu I am using a quad core 3.0ghz with 8g ram

David Newman
May 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
>> Dual boot system
>On Vista x64 CS4 crashed at launch the 1st time but opened OK the 2nd.

Sounds like Adobe.

> Opened and plays an old CF project. Scrubs but playback is a little ragged audio is fine.

To be expected with the playback engine accelerator.

> There are no CF capture options.

None planned for 4.0. Although we might point the CS3 capture tools.

> AE renders very nicely with a 32 bit project but AE crashed once the render had completed.

Nothing has changed for exports (CS4 using the same old component as CS3,) not like a new bug or even an old one. Likely classic Adobe memory issues.

> First Light crashed at launch.

See discussion on missing DLLS.

> On XP x64 CS3 launched a new 25p project but CS3 crashes when importing CF footage. > Crashes when opening old projects.
> Capture in CS3. The computer crashed and restarted after transcoding had finished but > the captured footage was OK.

As little has change CS3, this is likely a local to your PC issue. CS3 is work fine for others and it my own testing.

> HD Link freezes and stops the camera a Sony V1 when trying to capture.

Clearly a PC issue and the same worked on your other boot session. All CS3 issues should go to support as they are not beta related.

David Newman
May 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Ieshims.dll is part of Internet Explorer and is found in the folder where IE resides. Vista x64 users should have both the 32 bit (C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer) and the 64 bit (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer) versions of the library file.

It's easy to eliminate this error in the Dependency Walker, by just copying the 32 bit version of Ieshims.dll to the C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools folder, but this does nothing for the crashes of First Light.

You should never need to move anything into the tools folder. Most DLLs should be part of the system and stay there. It is a bit worrying that a standard C# GUI app should break on so many PCs, we hoped that Microsoft when be doing better these days (all built under Microsoft's Expression Blends 2.) First Light has extremely minimal system interaction. It has been on Vista system here that come straight out of the box, so some weird is happening in the wild.

Jay Bloomfield
May 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
I just moved it there to see what was happening. For some reason on Vista x64 systems, First Light is not finding stuff it needs.

David Newman
May 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
As for missing DLL in general I use Google to find them. All these a listed so far are Microsoft components that should already present with an updated OS and .net framework 3.5 installed. I have no idea way they are missing (and different components) on so many PCs.

David Newman
May 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
I just moved it there to see what was happening. For some reason on Vista x64 systems, First Light is not finding stuff it needs.

First Light is a managed API, so it run as 64-bit native on those OS, it seems on some systems it is (incorrectly) needing 32-bit DLL (or the 64-bit equivalents are missing.) The App is stock GUI app, so no reason for any of this to fail, all the complex stuff is in FLPlayer which isn't opened until you select an AVI. We will have is Microsoft has any hints.

Cameron Smeal
May 2nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hi all,

First post, please be kind :o)

I have been watching this thread daily but just wanted to clarify something. I'm on PP CS4 and using the latest CF Prospect HD beta 4.0.1 build 207 posted here yesterday. I'm experiencing very choppy playback and wish to know whether this is simply because the CF beta is currently lacking the playback engine or it is something else I am missing. Audio is mostly fine allthough some popping is present.

I am working with HDV 1080/25p.

System:

ASUS P5Q Pro mobo
Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core Extreme 3.73GHz
8 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 8800GTS OC 640MB
3.5TB RAID 5 from RocketRAID 4432 348IOP at 1.2 GHz (Currently transfering at over 700MB/sec)
Dell 30" Ultrasharp Widescreen
Adobe Production Premium CS4 (all current updates applied incl. PP to 4.0.1)

Camera:

SONY HVR-Z7P

HDLink is working fine although I have experienced several hangs/crashes when capturing via HDLink through firewire into CF, and hangs on very large clip sizes (>10GB) when converting. I now convert .mt2 files from already captured tape (camera to PC firewire) or Compact Flash (Direct transfer from Card Reader) in order to avoid the hangs/crashes that happen when going direct via Cineform.

On advice from CF Support, I am using a custom preset and have switched the editing mode to desktop for now. I-Frame only MPEG is the only codec choice I have here. Playback settings are set to automatic or draft and scratch disks on the raid.

CPU is almost always maxed-out when encoding and working very hard in PP during the attempted edit. Microsoft Media Player plays these HDV files back with no issue at all.

So, my question is whether delivery of the playback engine will address the playback sluggishness, or is it a CS4 player implementation issue or is it something very simple I have missed?

Any help, guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Sincere apologies if I have said something stupid here or broken any posting rules. I'm on a steep learning curve. Happy to supply additional information I may have missed.

Huge thanks in advance guys!

Cam

Jay Bloomfield
May 2nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Yup. Managed code should work fine under x64. Is it because ieshim.dll is not a system file, but rather part of IE? Neither DLL version appears to be registered. Did you compile FirstLight with the /platform:x86 build flag?

Bruce Gruber
May 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Any word on the missing CFHD compressor to SD? Or did I miss reading something?

David Newman
May 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
Any word on the missing CFHD compressor to SD? Or did I miss reading something?

What is SD? :)

The is nothing custom needed to go down in resolution. Set Format to "CineForm AVI File" or "CineForm MOV File", than set your "Encoded Format", Quality, etc. For that low res format, use 720x480 D1 Widescreen.

David Newman
May 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Cam,

You will be helped by the accelerator, as CS4 is native pretty slow for general HD work, some native format get a little accleration, but we typically see a 3X performance gain with the CineForm pipeline over Adobe's. You PC, while two generations old, should be plenty fast enough RT HD editing.

Cameron Smeal
May 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
David,

Cheers mate. A huge thank you from down under!

I'd say that 3x will get me close, if not right on to RT. Credit card at the ready! :o)

You mention my generation gap (which I assume refers to the mobo & chip) - understood. Can I ask if you think moving up to a quad core would be money well spent or if going down the Matrox path is a better option? I would dearly love to avoid any hardware choice if possible and stay with Prospect if it can deliver.

Also, any thoughts on the hangs when capturing direct from the Z7 to CF via HDLink? Has this been reported before at all?

Again, many thanks.
Cam

Carlos Bustamante
May 3rd, 2009, 03:22 AM
What is SD? :)

The is nothing custom needed to go down in resolution. Set Format to "CineForm AVI File" or "CineForm MOV File", than set your "Encoded Format", Quality, etc. For that low res format, use 720x480 D1 Widescreen.

David, could it be that the PHD-beta file some of us have download is missing some elements your copy has? Judging from the image and your comment I should be having "CineForm AVI File" as an option. Well I don't. As I mentioned in a previous comment all the CF video effects and transitions are available.
Thanx

Bruce Gruber
May 3rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
Hi Dave,
Like Carlos said, and I think Gil a few posts back. From you screen shot the CF.avi or .mov option is not there,That is the problem we are having is that the options are not there in the beta I downloaded from this thread.

Gil Reitsma
May 3rd, 2009, 06:49 AM
That's right Bruce!

The Cineform export option is missing.

Also installed Prospect HD on my 32bit Vista Ultimate and First Light still will not open

IESHIMS.DLL has question mark in yellow circle
IEFRAME.DLL ... small square icon is shaded red

Unlike Rick the WER.DLL loaded ok

David Newman
May 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
I downloaded the beta for my home machine from the same link as all of you, so that is not it. You should have all these files in mediacore:

Tim Bickford
May 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
First Light will not run. I'm using Vista 64 Ultimate.

Here is the windows error:

Problem signature:
Problem Signature 06: 48fef62a
Problem Signature 07: 625a
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Here is the Dependaency Walker for win32 (x86) Version 2.2.6000 errors

Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

Indicates that error opening file IESHIMS.DLL. The system cannot find the file specified (2).

I updated Vista last night. Still cannot run first light.

Tim Bickford
May 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
From my mediacore directory. Am I missing two files?

David Newman
May 3rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks Tim,

This is an error that makes sense. It seems that PHD and NHD where missing the exporter in their downloads (I was testing P4K.) I have refresh the Prospect HD and NEO HD links, so download again (it has the same name.)

Matt Vanecek
May 3rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
I don't have the Exporter PRM in mine, on Windows Vista 64. Just did a fresh uninstall of 4.0.0 and install of 4.0.1. The CF installer does not appear to be working correctly on Vista 64, if David's screenshot is on XP.

Thanks,
Matt

David Newman
May 3rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
I don't have the Exporter PRM in mine, on Windows Vista 64. Just did a fresh uninstall of 4.0.0 and install of 4.0.1. The CF installer does not appear to be working correctly on Vista 64, if David's screenshot is on XP.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt, read the previous post. This is not an XP/Vista issue, it is a PHD installer issue that was just fixed moments ago.

Matt Vanecek
May 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah, saw that after I posted. Problems in a multi-threaded environment, I guess, with simultaneous posts. At least you know your customers are vigilant!

Any reason why your download site consistently causes my virus scanner (NOD32) to complain about the download, while completing the download? The only way I can download the file is to turn off the virus scanner, which seems counter-productive. Something about the Packed.Themida virus. The only way to get the file is to turn off the virus scanner, download the file, and then scan it manually.

Thanks,
Matt

David Newman
May 3rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
We have had no report of Virus issues, and I also run Virus scan on downloads and I'm not seeing this. However, I will do a Virus scan on the build PC.

Matt Vanecek
May 3rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
It might be an Eset NOD32 thing, or maybe the download server is sending a strange header or something. If I turn off the virus scanner and download the file, and scan it manually, there is no virus reported. it is only while downloading the file with the scanner turned on. I know a couple others posted on the original importers downloads similar issue. It's most likely an oddity between the download server and NOD32, but I'd be interested if anyone with any other virus scanners have experienced similar issues.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Vanecek
May 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
The ImporterServer keeps crashing, and freezing PPro. It's happened when I'm cutting nested sequences where the source sequences have CFHD and additional audio. It's also happened when copying a clip from one sequence to another. Usually seems to involve copying/pasting. I have to kill PPro and restart. After reopening, everything seems to be working OK for a while.

Thanks,
Matt

And when rendering the timeline, too. This is pretty much unusable as-is.