View Full Version : Lumiere HD workflow

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Brian Duke
January 3rd, 2006, 06:30 AM
Hey Nate,

What do you use to import your files to FCP and edit in 24p if you don't use Lumiere?

Currently I am using HDVXDV, but I am still learning the logistics.
Duke

Bruce Meyers
January 3rd, 2006, 06:35 AM
This is getting me ticked, when I go to STEP 9: add to selection and scale it totally screws up the audio, I get this strange tremelo effect, is this normal? The regular audio file doesen't have this, the sound wavers in the add to selection and scaled version, how do I get normal audio? PLease explain this to me.

STEP 11: 11. Open all digital negative movs and export to codec of choice in 23.98 (DV, 720 X 480, 23.98) to a folder called 'realtime_clips'

How do I export these clips? Individually? Do I repeat steps 1-10 again anda again and again? Please tell me what to do! What codec is recommended?

Originally Posted by Frederic Haubrich
Here's a customized, temporary, workflow for our users who want to cut ProHD24p in FCP 5.0.

Most of these steps will be automated in future releases of Lumiere HD:

1. Capture with LHD
2. Demux audio and video in separate folders. (end up with 23.98 m2v and 48KHz aiff)
3. Open m2v in QT Pro
4. Open aiff in QT Pro
5. Select all aiff
6. Copy
7. Place play head at the beginning of m2v
8. Select all m2v
9. Add to selection and scale
10. File/Save as (Save as reference movie -- same name.mov) in a folder called 'digital_negative'
11. Open all digital negative movs and export to codec of choice in 23.98 (DV, 720 X 480, 23.98) to a folder called 'realtime_clips'
12. Open FCP, set easy setup to realtime_clips specs (DV, NTSC, 23.98)
13. Import all realtime_clips
14. input a reel for each clip in the browser
15. Edit with realtime

GOING ONLINE

1. Select the sequence/ Choose Media Manager
2. Media Manager settings:
Media: Create Offline
Set Sequence to Custom:
1280 X 720
PAS: Square
Anamorphic 'not checked'
Editing Timebase: 23.98
Timecode rate: Same...
Compressor: HDV 720p30
Audio: 48 KHz, 16 bit, default
3. Save project name: Online720p24
4. Go to 'Online720p24' tab in browser/double click on sequence (clips should be offline)
5. Select all clips in browser (above sequence), choose 'Reconnect Media'
6. Point to the 'digital_negative' clips (ignore Mismatch warning) and all your clips should reconnect

You now have a full HDV24 version of a timeline you edited in DV

We are doing our best to keep up with the latest formats and offer our customers working solutions, now. Expect frequent releases from Lumiere HD...

Thank you,

Frederic

Steve Mullen
January 3rd, 2006, 09:41 AM
Hours ago, reading your question from India, I provided specific advice to you.

My post is missing -- so I have to wonder if it was deleted because it began with the advice to not use Lumiere. So what if there is a lumiere group on this site?

Brian needed help and he was not and still is not getting results with lumiere.

----------

Brian, lumiere is clearly not working for you. The fact that you felt you needed ask help here indicates a lack of support for a product you paid for. When I read "customized, temporary, workflow" instructions about a product, it's not one I would put my job on the line for.

There are much better, simpler, working solutions you could be using right now. They are well documented.

Chris Hurd
January 3rd, 2006, 09:58 AM
My post is missing -- so I have to wonder if it was deleted because it began with the advice to not use Lumiere.Isn't this it?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=404601#post404601

By the way, this isn't an HD100 question -- it's a Lumiere question. So I think I will move this thread to our Lumiere forum.

Stephen L. Noe
January 3rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
@Chris - you beat me to it. I just read S. Mullens post on the other thread.

@Bruce, it would help if you could keep it under one post heading. I'm getting confused. Tim listed steps for Lumiere that may help or you can check out any of the other suggestions. This IS the place to be to get help with the HD-100 and workflow.

BTW: do you go by the alias "maestro" on DVXuser?

Chris Hurd
January 3rd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Moved to Lumiere forum from HD100 forum.

Bruce Meyers
January 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
Ok I've asked many questions about the process of this TEMPORARY WORKFLOW but no one has been able to answer my questions. I'm sorry to sound so annoying but this is a very critical issue for me right now. Mr. Mullen, I checked your site and found nothing so far about working "double system" what does that mean? I'm surprised this issue has been tackled before, I have searched these forums for an answer but have found none. Is apple going to release an update by the ninth? If not I'm in big trouble. If this has been tackled before, please refer me to the post that explains how one uses THE HD100 to EDIT FOOTAGE REAL TIME IN FCP. I tried Mr. Nate Weaver's suggestions, and they didn't work out. Perhaps he could enlighten me as to his specific CAPTURE and workflow methods since he has proven capable of shooting editing and producing final products in this medium.

Lumiere HD has not responded to my requests for clarification in their "CUSTOMIZED TEMPORARY WORKFLOW SOLUTION"

FROM PREVIOUS POST:

"This is getting me ticked, when I go to STEP 9: add to selection and scale it totally screws up the audio, I get this strange tremelo effect, is this normal? The regular audio file doesen't have this, the sound wavers in the add to selection and scaled version, how do I get normal audio? PLease explain this to me.

STEP 11: 11. Open all digital negative movs and export to codec of choice in 23.98 (DV, 720 X 480, 23.98) to a folder called 'realtime_clips'

How do I export these clips? Individually? Do I repeat steps 1-10 again anda again and again? Please tell me what to do! What codec is recommended?"

The audio screws up when I do this. ADD TO SELECTION AND SCALE. I've done it dozens of times. I'm sorry to sound sooooo hysterical and needy but it's make or break for me right now and if I don't get this system up and running I've really done for. Please somebody, if this has been discussed in detail I will greatly appreciate refering me to a previous post, I have been unable to find this information in the forums. WHAT IS "DOUBLE SYSTEM" STEVE MUllen I checked your site and did a search but found nothing accessible about editing double system. Would you be so kind as to give me a brief explanation? What software am I to capture with etc. workflow whathaveyou perhaps I'm an idiot but I could not find this information on your site without ostensibly first buying your book. PLease help!!!

Frederic Lumiere
January 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Bruce,

Are you using Lumiere HD beta 1.6b2? Make sure you are by doing "About Lumiere HD" before demultiplexing.

Frederic Lumiere
January 3rd, 2006, 11:19 PM
Support for Lumiere HD is provided on our forum, not here. We don't check this forum very frequently. This is information which was provided with the email when you purchased the product.

Many, many customers are succesfully editing HD100 24p with Lumiere HD and enjoy realtime in the FCP timeline.

The solution isn't perfect, but it works. It does require however that you follow the workflow exactly. One small error will through the workflow.

Simply try the workflow and post one question at a time on the support forum located at when you hit a snag and we'll help you:

http://lumierehd.com/forums/

Finally, I always recommend to give yourself time to experiment with new technology before jumping in a mission critical project with workflows you haven't tested. This stuff is getting more and more complicated and intricate as new formats are introduced. The good old time of DV are gone.

It generates too much stress on you and everyone else involved.

So please, give it a shot and let us know one issue at a time and we'll help you through it.

For instance. You mention using DVCPRO HD 60p but our workflow mentions DV 720X480. Were you able to complete the workflow with our parameters first before venturing into changing it?

Frederic

Tim Dashwood
January 6th, 2006, 09:12 PM
No! Unless you have a JVC HDV Camera

Actually, it's not even necessary with the JVC. There are other ways to digitize 720P24 footage.

Matthew Kaplan
January 20th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Tim-

How can you digitize the footage if FCP 5.0 doesn't support it?

Tim Dashwood
February 7th, 2006, 01:53 PM
http://www.lumierehd.com/currentbeta_download.php

They don't have a version history but have claimed "improved compatibility with Hd100 & BR-HD50," but from what I gather on their boards "auto increment" should work properly now, crashing during demultiplexing should be fixed, and it shouldn't crash when capturing over TC breaks.

Frederic has also mentioned that he hopes "betas will come more frequently now."

My fingers are crossed! I'll post back once I've thoroughly tested this beta.

Tim Dashwood
February 7th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Tim-

How can you digitize the footage if FCP 5.0 doesn't support it?

You can use HDVxDV or DVHS Cap to capture the m2t stream directly from the camera.
You can use iMovie HD or FCP5's HDV to AIC capture to capture 720P24 without sound and then use Cinema Tools to batch conform it back to 23.98.

Shane Ross
February 7th, 2006, 05:14 PM
http://www.aja.com/pdfs/AJA_whitepaper_HDV.pdf

Tom Chaney
February 8th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Hi Tim,

You've got us anxiously awaiting your report of Lumiere. Per your suggestion I, and surely many others, downloaded HDVxDv and have been playing with it.

But I am waiting to hear your thoughts on the new Lumiere update to make, my purchasing decisions.

Has anyone posted a potential workflow for finish on Blu Ray yet?

Thanks for everything you post.

Tom Chaney

New owner of JVC GY-HD100!

www.tomchaney.com

ADMIN NOTE: Merged this post from a separate cross-post thread.

Tom Chaney
February 8th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Hi Tim,

I'm a huge fan of your posts.

I just picked up a JVC camera and I am anxiously awaiting your word on this update. Per your suggestion, I am trying HDVxDv.

We are starting a feature that we would like to deliver on HD-DVD in the future.

Any thoughts on workflow for Blu-Ray?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Tom Chaney

www.tomchaney.com

Tim Dashwood
February 8th, 2006, 11:16 PM
They've just released v 1.6b6. Wow, I guess they have sped up the beta cycles from a few months to 2 days!
http://www.lumierehd.com/currentbeta_download.php

IT NOW SUPPORTS 720P24 OUTPUT BACK TO TAPE!

This is a big step forward for the product if it works. I will be testing this latest beta by the end of the week.

Any thoughts on workflow for Blu-Ray?

Stick with the workflow in DVD Studio Pro 4 for HD discs. Blu-ray will use MPEG-2 codec, HD-DVD will use H.264.
There are still alot of unknowns that I'm sure will be cleared up at NAB, but I'm hoping blue ray will be able to play native HDV m2t streams at 19.2 or 25mbps. If you are interested in the format war, check this out.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/hddvd_bluray.htm

Tom Chaney
February 9th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Tim,

Thanks for the info.

Seeing who, and how many, of the big dogs are supporting Blu-Ray, I can't imagine it won't be the winner.

I look forward to your thoughts on Lumiere.

Tom

www.tomchaney.com

Tim Dashwood
March 15th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I promised to report back here ages ago and then totally forgot.

The good news is that v1.6b6 actually works considerably better than 1.6b2 ever did. However, there are still some glitches.

My notes for v1.6b6:

Auto Increment now works!
Transport controls no longer "grey out" after capturing the first clip.
The Note field still will not accept any text.
I got an "Unexpected Quit" once during demux, but it worked the next time.
"Custom size" entry doesn't seem to have any effect on the converted quicktime, but it is a nice idea to have it there now.
XML seems to work properly with FCP5 now, so there was no need to do the 15-step Quicktime Pro process.
Output to 720P24 from any of the original m2t files works well.
Conversion of final edit back to m2t created a bad file that looked weird with the image shrunk to 1/4 size in the corner and then the rest was digital video "noise."

In the future I hope that they can add a LIVE VIDEO PREVIEW window, LOG & BATCH CAPTURE feature, and SEARCH buttons (FCP and iMovie can search on the HD100, why not Lumiere HD?)

Chris Neuman
March 21st, 2006, 09:45 AM
i just purchased and dowloaded the latest beta of lumiere hd.
i follow the workflow exactly like stated on the lumhd forum. everything work fine just that the final mov and or the imorted m2v files are way faster than the original. the sound is perfect and has the right speed.

we shoot on the jvc GY-HD100 and i us it to capture. we shoot on hdv 24p.
this is ment to be blown up onto 35mm so i need to stick to 24fps.

what am i doing wrong?

tank u so much for ur help

Baldo Lopez
March 24th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Does anyone know if you have to be a Lumiere HD owner already to use this new beta version. I can download it but it asks me for a serial number.

Andrew Marks
March 26th, 2006, 02:34 AM
I have a question for anyone who could answer it, I have the jvc GY-HD100U and I recentily just tried to capture footage using FCP HD and it won't even reconize that the camera is hooked up. I then did some research and found out that Lumiere HD could make it possible for me to capture footage using their program. Well I am in a delima, I have no money what so ever and the camera was givin to me as a gift. My problem is I have no way of purchising Lumiere, my only way to make money was using the camera, since I can't capture I cannot edit the video, there inturns I cannot make any money. My question is does anyone know where I could download the program for free? I feel bad because I don't want to rip anyone off but I feel ripped off in the sence I have no way of capturing HD to my mac or FCP. Plus on top of it all I need to send my camera in to get the new upgrade, and let me tell you I am very leary about sending it with out purchising any insurance incase somthing happens in delivery to JVC. Please someone help,
Thanks,
Andrew

Heath McKnight
March 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Andrew,

It's a shame that FCP 5.0.4 cannot capture JVC's 720p24, but it can capture and edit 30p. I sympathize with you.

Lumiere HD costs only $179 and is well worth it. Asking it for free isn't exactly a moral thing to do. Frederic and his team worked very hard on it, and put a lot of hours and I'm sure capital into it. The price is worth it.

We here at DVInfo take specific stances in regards to doing things like trading software, voiding warranties, etc. Visit our FAQ (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_vb_user_maintain) for more.

heath

Andrew Marks
March 26th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Yes it is sorta wrong to download programs like that for free but, It is a scam. I finally found a program that works and is FREE!!! I am now using two programs, Which is a long way to go to get around this problem. Those programs are DVHSCap abd MPEG Streamclip. Might I add FREE, This whole problem is corprate runaround, Which is a scam. My grandfather bought me this camera in the hopes of me getting jobs and getting paid. He is no longer with us, The fact that I would have to pay for a whole other program is not right. Especially since I have no money. The only way for me to make any money was by shooting and editing things together. Lumiere HD sounds like a great program, At least they could have offered a free trial version. All I really wanted to know was if it would work. No offence to anyone but I would want to see first hand if it worked on my computer. I've been screwed over more times than I can count. If they had of offered a free version and I saw first hand that it worked then I woud have tried to save money to buy the program. Plus if other programs do it just as good and for free and they make you buy it then thats messed up. I'm not a very priviliged guy, I live on my own and have barely enough to get by. My job is this, Shoot, Edit, Get Money! My grandfather did buy me all this and yes that is alot but, He did it to get me started job wise. I'm sorry if I come accrosed mad, But I feel like I was screwed over and so was my grandfather for all of this. What gets me even more is the fact the FCP is supposed to support the GY-HD100U as under here: http://images.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/pdf/FinalCutPro_5.0_Qualified_20060303.pdf Wouldn't that be false advertising to say they support it and yet it doesnt even support it.
And back to Lumiere HD costing ONLY $179 ONLY. Thats alot of money when you don't have any. But I would have saved to buy it if i knew it worked on my computer. I'm sure if I asked if it worked many of you would have said yes. But If it didn't then it would have been no skin of your backs. Yet I would have been set back 179 Dollars.

Boyd Ostroff
March 26th, 2006, 03:45 PM
What gets me even more is the fact the FCP is supposed to support the GY-HD100U as under here: http://images.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/pdf/FinalCutPro_5.0_Qualified_20060303.pdf Wouldn't that be false advertising to say they support it and yet it doesnt even support it.

No, it wouldn't be false advertising because the listing for the HD-100 references footnote #6 which says: "6. HDV mode currently supported in 720p30 format only."

Heath McKnight
March 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM
HDV is NOT 24p, but JVC tweaked the software and they call it ProHD (and it has PCM audio). In my experience, using free software, esp. in the video world, isn't always successful. I find using products that cost money to be the best.

This is still a relatively new technology, and every time a camera comes out, there's something new to it. I know of very few, if any, software NLEs that support Canon's 24f mode, only 60i and 30f. Be patient.

I had to be first in the technology race with the JVC HD10 3 years ago, and I had to wait almost 2 years for native FCP support. Two versions of Final Cut came out before it was available.

Also, if you're using a camera to become a videographer, I hope you are practicing and learning as much as possible on the subject. You can't just go out and shoot and hope to make money. You need to be the best, and then you need to work hard to build up a good reputation. It's taken me a few years to get to where I am, and I've been doing this for a while.

I still struggle to pay the bills, just like everyone. And buying software upgrades is expensive, but we don't all have to go out and buy the latest and greatest.

Lastly, we at DVInfo do not, under any circumstances, advocate getting free copies of software that normally cost money. That's stealing.

heath

Andrew Marks
March 26th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the info, yeah i had my suspition that it ws something hidden like that. I'm just glad I finally found a program that can convert what I shot for free. And to heath, I am very sorry If I came accrosed as going off on you. I am just mad with JVC and FCP for running me around. I called JVC and Apple about 6 times trying to get a answer yet I never could. JVC said it was apple, Apple said it was JVC. I could never get a strait answer. It just makes me mad that they do that. Plus I have a deadline for the job I am doing and I needed to be able to capture and start editing last week as is. I am already losing money because the I was supposed to have a rough edit to them by Saturday. I am stressed beyond belief, and to find out that my problem could be fixed for the moment with Lumiere and to then find out the it cost 179 dollars. I have right now 50 cents to my name! So I would have been screwed if I hadn't found anything to work. So I apoligise to anyone who took offense, I am just at the end of the string, I have no money, I barely have food, and This just kinda topped it off. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone.
Andy

Vincent Rozenberg
March 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM
If you did a 5 minute google on FCP and the JVC HD100 before you bought one, you had know a lot more about the issues. This forum is almost all about it..

Andrew Marks
March 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Lastly I Didn't want a free full Version, I really needed to find out if it worked or not on MY COMPUTER. If I bought it then found out It didn' work. What a waist that would have been. And I never ment to say I wanted the full version for free, I was tired when I posted my first post and now that I look at it I relise that I was wrong. But I still wanted to find a trial version to see if ot worked on my computer. I never ment to say that I wanted the whole version. That was my bad and I will appoligise for that.

Andrew Marks
March 26th, 2006, 04:24 PM
If you did a 5 minute google on FCP and the JVC HD100 before you bought one, you had know a lot more about the issues. This forum is almost all about it..

Well From what I read and from what I was told it was a good camera to buy. Don't act all high and mighty about it, Yes I should have I know this, And I did do alot of reaserch. Not enough I guess, but I talked with a couple production companys in my city and they all supported the HD100. So I was misled then. That doesn't get away from the fact that its all in the past. I got the camera back in december. I haven't had the chance until now to use it because of too much going on in my own life. Dealing with my grandfathers death, and getting all hhis stuff sold and whatnot.

Andrew Marks
March 26th, 2006, 04:35 PM
And To clear anything about this, I am not a NEW BOOT to editing. I have been editing for about 6 years. I also worked at The oregon capitol during session in the Legislative Media dept. So I know about editing and brodcast and all that. Don't treat me as if I am some dumb kid. I am a adult, Treat me like one. I know quite a bit about editing, and from what I was lead to believe the JVC GY-HD100U was a good camera to buy.

Heath McKnight
March 26th, 2006, 06:16 PM
My recommendation, after I bought an HD10 without testing it, test cameras, research it, etc. Know what you're buying.

No sweat on the going off.

hwm

Douglas Spotted Eagle
March 27th, 2006, 05:42 PM
HDV is NOT 24p, but JVC tweaked the software and they call it ProHD (and it has PCM audio).

Just as an aside, you'll soon hear of changes in the HDV spec that *do* allow for 24p and PCM audio, so maybe we'll see software dev support now in this arena, since it's now part of the HDV standard. (along with 4 channels of audio, too)

Heath McKnight
March 27th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Hey Spot, is this ProHD? Or something different?

heath

Tim Dashwood
April 2nd, 2006, 07:16 PM
Yes. You need to buy version 1.2

Ed Hill
April 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Trying to capture music video footage at 24 p.
Using Lumiere 1.6 6b, but it won;t capture. The Lumiere doesn't even recognize the camera. WTF?

Who else has had this problem?
How did you solve this problem?

I previously captured 1 clip, with Lumiere then went to FCP to see the result.
Then the troubled started.

Thanks,

Ed Hill & Aaron Lynch

Tim Dashwood
April 6th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Don't run FCP and Lumiere HD at the same time. You can only have one program accessing the firewire HDV protocol at a time.
Also, make sure the camera is in VTR mode. I have tested 1.6b6 and it is the only version that seems to work as advertised front to back.

Tim Dashwood
April 6th, 2006, 08:27 AM
i just purchased and dowloaded the latest beta of lumiere hd.
i follow the workflow exactly like stated on the lumhd forum. everything work fine just that the final mov and or the imorted m2v files are way faster than the original. the sound is perfect and has the right speed.

we shoot on the jvc GY-HD100 and i us it to capture. we shoot on hdv 24p.
this is ment to be blown up onto 35mm so i need to stick to 24fps.

what am i doing wrong?

tank u so much for ur help

Maybe you used 29.97 instead of 23.98 when you converted to quicktime format? I've tested the 720P24 workflow with the HD100 and it seems to work fine.

DJ Lewis
May 28th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Using Lumiere, follow instructions....
any reason why my clips are playing really, really fast and not regular speed?

Thanks

DJ Lewis
May 29th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Oh, problem solved.... beta version 1.6b

Jerad Sloan
June 12th, 2006, 12:57 AM
when you capture 720 24P from the HD100 does the quicktime file give you the same timecode off of the tape? i've tried HDVxDV but it isn't giving me accurate timecode.

Dean Steinmann
July 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM
I have followed the directions from the online tutorial to get my Z1 footage into FCP with Lumiere, and find that the audio and video are out of sync. At the beginning of a 5 minute clip, the audio is out by 24 frames and at the end of the same 5 minute clip the audio is out by 30 frames.

Demuxing in Lumiere results in an m2v and an aif of slightly different lengths. Demuxing in MPEG Streamclip results in m2v and aif files of exactly the same length.

I am using DV/DVCPRO-NTSC @ 29.97 with audio set to 48KHz for the timeline codec.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

Thanks.

Rati Oneli
July 11th, 2006, 08:33 PM
The capture process seems fine but when I demultiplex the files which seems to do very fast, the m2v files are equally small and I can't convert them to movs or do anything with them. Lumiere does not crash on me throughout this process.

After I demultiplex the files (which turn out to be 4kb) I am having problems with encoding my raw files (from HD100) into the XML files I can import through FCP5.

I followed all the steps correctly the other day according to this manual posted on lumiere forum (http://www.lumierehd.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-579.html) and was able to encode all files properly and import them into FCP5. Then I no longer needed those files and I deleted the Video, Audio, REALTIMES, folders where I housed previous files.

I tried to repeat the same procedure today, created all new folders, but this time Lumiere does something weird. I did everything correctly, demultiplexed the files and then when I went to the final steps 11 through 20 (http://www.lumierehd.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-579.html) and hit GO it didn't do anything... a window poped up saying STARTED but then a second later the window disappeared and the destination folder I had selected also diappeared. I hit GO the second time, and this time another window popped up saying I should select the destination folder, which I did again. Again, I hit GO and window popped up saying STARTED (encoding I presume), but it disappeared as well and automatically de-selected the destination folder.

What is the problem? can someone help me? Please... I am really disappointed having switched from PC where cineform used to do magic compared to Lumiere. Lumiere has no batch processing, no scene detection, on top of everything I have a project due tomorrow and now have to pray that someone knows whats going on and can help.

Thank you

Rati Oneli
July 11th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Hi, I've been importing raw footage (M2T) from my HD100 into my G5. So far, I've imported almsot three hours worth of footage and just realized that the size of the imported footage is not that big... As, far as I know when you import one hour of regular DV footage for editing it takes up around 13 gb of space. Shouldn't HDV have larger m/bit per second transfer rate than DV and in theory be larger in size?

I imported two and half tapes (under three hours) into my computer and combined size of the footage file is 19 gb. I am really concerned that I did something wrong with settings on Lumiere (or even worse on camera, which I doubt) and that now I have three hours of footage with compromised quality.

Can someone clarify?

Thank you in advance

Jeff Sayre
July 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Actually, the HDV format can accommodate up to a 1440x1080 frame size and has same maximum data throughput as standard definition DV--which is 25 megabits per second. But, you are shooting with the JVC HD100 which has a reduced frame size of 1280x720. If I recall correctly, this results in a reduction in maximum data throughput to about 19 megabits per second.

Remember, data rates are in megabits per second. There are 8 bits per byte. So, if you have 3 hours of HDV tape shot with your JVC, the maximum combined file size of your captured footage should be about 25.65 GB (gigabytes).

You say that you have about 19 GB of captured footage. That would mean you have about 133 minutes of raw footage. Are you sure that you have two full tapes plus a third that is half full?

The fact remains, though, HDV does not have a higher data rate than DV.

Rati Oneli
July 11th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Jeff thank you for your reply. It clarifes things a bit and helps me calm down as well.

I had three tapes, and none of them was fully used... In total, I most likely transferred about 2.5 hours of footage... now that I think about it - maybe even a bit less than that. So, according to you this is pretty much what I should have in the end anyway.

Actually, it was very dumb from me to ask about higher bit rates from HDV vs DV since they are both on the same DV tape :) But, my question was: since DV footage is around 13GB per hour, then why is my footage less if they are supposed to have same transfer rates?

Jeff Sayre
July 11th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I appreciate and understand your confusion--and concern!

The lower data rate of the JVC (19 megabits/sec) means that it does not quite equal what you would expect from an hour of DV footage captured at 25 mbits/sec.

Rati Oneli
July 11th, 2006, 09:39 PM
So is it normal, or should I worry about it?

Jeff Sayre
July 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM
From the information you provided, I would say you have nothing to worry about.

Rati Oneli
July 11th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Thank You!!!