View Full Version : Lumiere HD workflow

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Heath McKnight
May 26th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Can Lumiere HD capture DVHS from the 30k and 40k JVC decks? Can it put it back to DVHS with no problem?

These may be obvious questions, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks,

heath

Frederic Lumiere
May 26th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Heath,

Lumiere HD supports the DVHS 30K deck. It hasn't been tested with the 40K, but we will update our supported equipment list as soon as we do test it.

Yes it can output back to tape in DVHS without problem.

Heath McKnight
May 26th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Can it capture from the 30k DVHS deck?

heath

Frederic Lumiere
May 26th, 2004, 09:21 PM
It can capture HDV footage stored on the 30K DVHS Deck.

Gabor Lacza
May 30th, 2004, 11:44 AM
I read a lot around for the HDV editing on Macs but still a few points are not clear...can somebody help me understand this.
I am planning to use a Powerbook G4 for editing with 1.33 Ghz or 1.5 Ghz processor with 1GB ram and 60gb hdd.
-Aspect Hd offers 4 video stream editing with real time...can i edit this way in lumiere with offline res of course ??
-Do I need a G-raid for the editing?
-is this 720/30p file plays smoothly on a laptop ?
-Can i monitor the edits on a broadcast SD monitor?

Thanks
Gabor

Frederic Lumiere
May 31st, 2004, 09:03 AM
Gabor,

Lumiere HD is that it lets you edit your HDV footage in any codec you want.

Based on the system you have, I would recommend using DV in anamorphic. This will allow you to enjoy all the benefits of DV (RT, NTSC monitoring, RT FX, etc.)

You also wont need a raid solution since the only footage you play in realtime is DV.

Once your edit is complete, Lumiere HD helps you online your timeline in a few clicks and you end up with a full 720p resolution of your timeline. at which time you can fine tune color correction.

You render it to uncompressed HD or DC 30 codec and Lumiere HD will encode/multiplex this master edit to HDV compliant MPEG-2 Transport Stream with the fastest and best quality MPEG Mac encoder on the market today.

You can then output this final TS back to your camera or DVHS deck.

You can also encode your master (uncompressed HD) to progressive scan 16:9 DVD and the results are stunning!

The idea behind Lumiere HD is that you can edit HDV using all the benefits you are currently enjoying with your editing solution.

Think about it...unless you monitor your edits in full HD resolution, there is no real advantage to editing in HD in the timeline. Having said that, if you own a cinema display, you can use DVCPRO HD instead of DV and enjoy realtime HD editing/monitoring.

Christopher C. Murphy
May 31st, 2004, 09:26 AM
Hi all,

I'd like to cross reference our workflows (again!), so we can see if we're optimizing our systems.

Here is what I have and do for FCP HD editing:

Equipment:
I have G5 dual 2ghz, 1 gig of RAM, internal ATA 160 HD, external 200 gig Firewire 400, FCP HD, LumiereHD 1.0
-------------------
1) Capture footage onto external Firewire using LumiereHD

2) Create Program Stream of m2t files (demultiplex)

3) Create Timeline codec files (this is where it gets foggy and I hope I'm doing it right in reference to DVCPRO codec editing) --

I use the "DVCPRO HD 720p60" codec on "Best" quailty and have the framerate set to "29.97" frames per second. I have the source size default to "Source".

4) "Control click" Sequence in FCP to bring up settings tab - chose "Anamorphic 16:9"

5) In the current Sequence settings window I leave the "Frame Size" at 960x720 - (anyone know if I should bump this up to 1280x720? I read somewhere on here that the HD10u only records 960 anyway - is that true?!)

6) Field domiance - unknown. Anyone help me here? I am currently using "None"

7) Under the "User Preference" menu in FCP - I have "Audio Playback Quaility" set to default "Low (faster) - can I bump this up?

8) Under the "Audio/Video Settings" menu in FCP my specs read:

"Sequence preset DVCPRO HD- 720p30" -- and "Capture Preset DVCPRO HD- 720p30 48khz" --

the "Device Control Preset is DVCPRO HD FireWire" (this one I'm not sure if that needs to be FireWire NTSC or not? It's not NTSC we're working in...it's HD right?!)

The last thing is the Video and Audio playback - it says, "[Missing] for both...the Video says "DVCPRO HD (720p60) (1280x720) and the Audio says DVCPRO HD out"

9) Under "System Settings" I'm using my external FireWire drive for a scratch disk.

10) Under the "System Settings" -- "Playback Control" I'm using "RT Unlimited" and "Medium" Quailty - (can I bump that up to high?) --

oh, and the "Pulldown Pattern" is 2:3:2:3 - is that good? I think it's defaulted there.

Additional notes:
I'm using the XML feature on LumiereHD to import all the clips into FCP.

I hope people reply because I really want to know if we're optimizing our workflows. Do you see anything wrong with above workflow?? Please tell me!

Murph

Graeme Nattress
May 31st, 2004, 11:05 AM
4) DVCProHD is not anamorphic - it has a special pixel aspect ratio though that you'll need to set.

6) field dominance - none

Pulldown patter is irrelevent as you're editing 30p not 24p.

Hope that helps.

Graeme

Christopher C. Murphy
May 31st, 2004, 03:43 PM
Hi Graeme,

Do you know what the "special pixel aspect" is for the DVCProHD codec?

All of your information is useful, thank you!

Murph

Frederic Lumiere
May 31st, 2004, 03:47 PM
[1) Capture footage onto external Firewire using Lumiere HD]

Version 1.1 will also allow you to input full FCP logging info.

[2) Create Program Stream of m2t files (demultiplex)]

And audio files. You want to set a different folder for audio and video. The audio folder should be on a fast drive where the m2v video doesn't have to be.

[3) Create Timeline codec files (this is where it gets foggy and I hope I'm doing it right in reference to DVCPRO codec editing) --

I use the "DVCPRO HD 720p60" codec on "Best" quailty and have the framerate set to "29.97" frames per second. I have the source size default to "Source".]

Murph, I would recommend setting the frame size to 960 X 720 in Lumiere HD's custom sixe box. Ultimately, FCP will display it the same (960 X 720) even if you choose 1280 X 720, however it has less work to do if the frame is in native DVCPRO HD resolution (960 X 720) and you might enjoy more RT benefits with layers.

[4) "Control click" Sequence in FCP to bring up settings tab - chose "Anamorphic 16:9"]

This is only if you are going to use DV as your timeline codec. In this case, the codec is already 16:9 (well, not really for DVCPRO HD but don't worry about that ;)) therefore you don't need to stretch it anymore. What I recommend to do here is go to Audio/Video Settings in your menu and set your Sequence Preset to DVCPRO HD -720p30 (before creating a sequence). After that, when you create your sequence, it will have all the settings necessary. You can then import your XML and start editing in realtime.

[5) In the current Sequence settings window I leave the "Frame Size" at 960x720 - (anyone know if I should bump this up to 1280x720? I read somewhere on here that the HD10u only records 960 anyway - is that true?!)]

Taken care of by step #4

[6) Field domiance - unknown. Anyone help me here? I am currently using "None"]

None is good, but it is taken care of by step #4

[7) Under the "User Preference" menu in FCP - I have "Audio Playback Quaility" set to default "Low (faster) - can I bump this up?]

With your specs (G5, 1 GB Ram) you could bump it up but why? Until you need to edit audio, I would leave it at Low.

[8) Under the "Audio/Video Settings" menu in FCP my specs read:

"Sequence preset DVCPRO HD- 720p30" -- and "Capture Preset DVCPRO HD- 720p30 48khz" -- ]

Do this before you create your sequence and the sequence will have all the appropriate settings.

[the "Device Control Preset is DVCPRO HD FireWire" (this one I'm not sure if that needs to be FireWire NTSC or not? It's not NTSC we're working in...it's HD right?!)]

None, unless you own the Panasonic $20K deck. Right now, you'll watch your edits in full HD resolution on your 2nd Cinema Display, or single Cinema Display. If you don't have a Cinema Display I wouldn't edit in DVCPRO HD, I would edit in DV with output to NTSC via firewire.

[The last thing is the Video and Audio playback - it says, "[Missing] for both...the Video says "DVCPRO HD (720p60) (1280x720) and the Audio says DVCPRO HD out"]

This is where you choose the Cinema Display (current or second).

[9) Under "System Settings" I'm using my external FireWire drive for a scratch disk.]

This is fine.

[10) Under the "System Settings" -- "Playback Control" I'm using "RT Unlimited" and "Medium" Quailty - (can I bump that up to high?) -- ]

Sure, try it out.

Murph, I highly recommend reading a good book on FCP or even the manual. They have great insight on preparing for editing. You will understand the reason behind each choice.

I would also recommend 2 Cinema Displays if you are going to edit in HD. Otherwise, edit in DV and don't compromise.

I hope this helps!

Christopher C. Murphy
June 1st, 2004, 12:53 PM
Frederic and everyone who posted...thanks!

I'm implementing changes now..

Murph

Morgan Preston
June 3rd, 2004, 03:33 PM
Does anyone have an idea when this software will be available?
Thanks for your time.

Frederic Lumiere
June 4th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Friday, June 4

Morgan,

The software should be available before the weekend.

Thanks for your patience,

Frederic Lumiere
June 4th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for your patience.

Enjoy...we're proud of it.

:)

http://lumierehd.com/lumiere_hd.php

Frederic Lumiere
June 4th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Morgan,

We just released the software.

You can purchase it at:

http://lumierehd.com/lumiere_hd.php

Thanks for your patience!

Frederic Lumiere
June 11th, 2004, 07:25 AM
A few clarifications about Lumiere HD:

- Lumiere HD is shipping and you can purchase it online today at http://lumierehd.com

- Lumiere HD includes a complete solution from capture to print to HDV/DVHS tape for $179

- Lumiere HD is in full compliance with MPEG-2 Patent Holders

To read more about these topics visit http://lumierehd.com/missinglink.php

To see Lumiere HD, LLC in the list of MPEG LA, LLC's MPEG-2 Licensees in good standing visit:
http://www.mpegla.com/mpeg2/m2_licensees.cfm

Frederic Lumiere
July 13th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Lumiere HD has a new section dedicated to showcasing its users.

Read about Jim Rough's experience with Lumiere HD:

http://lumierehd.com/stories/jimrough/

If you have a story to share, email it to comments@lumierehd.com.

We want to hear about it.

Frederic

Dwight Flynn
July 13th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Any plans for a pc version of Lumiere (you know for premiere, vegas, ulead, etc.)

Frederic Lumiere
July 13th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Dwight,

We aren't planning on developing for the PC platform.

I highly recommend Cineform's products for the PC.

Frederic

Steven Galvano
August 11th, 2004, 04:38 PM
I captured/processed/XML'd a bunch of clips (50) for a project I'm beginning. After I started cutting, I found another 2 clips I weanted to add to the browser, so I used LumiereHD, and captured/processed again -- It then asked if for a XML name again. Seems like this may be a problem?

How can I ADD clips (by recapturing) to a existing project W/O messing up any of the end processes?

Thanks,

Steven

Graeme Nattress
August 11th, 2004, 05:56 PM
I think LumiereHD will generate a second XML for you, you can then import both XML's into FCP, and combine the files into one project. I'd ask Frederic for certain though...

Graeme

Frederic Lumiere
August 11th, 2004, 08:22 PM
You are correct Graeme.

Afterall, you programmed it.. :)

Frederic Lumiere
September 9th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Lumiere HD plans on continuing development even after Apple releases FCP 5.0 (Should it include HDV support) for the following reasons:

- Many users do not have the basic system requirements expected to run FCP 5.0

- Some might prefer to wait before upgrading to 5.0

- New formats are on the horizon which Lumiere HD will support before FCP does

- Lumiere HD will still be a viable ingest and encoding tool for Mac users who do not use FCP HD (AE, Motion, etc...)

Frederic

Frederic Lumiere
September 16th, 2004, 08:15 AM
You can read a comprehensive review of the HD10U, Cineform and Lumiere HD in this month's issue of Film & Video Magazine.

Here's the online version of the article:

http://www.filmandvideomagazine.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=28048

Christopher C. Murphy
September 16th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Frederic,

I got the article in the mail. Its worth saying that Lumiere HD has filled a huge void in FCP editing. I'm definately a fan and there are many others too.

I'm looking forward to Lumiere HD's upgrades (and future products???).

If you have a Mac and own a HDV camera - do yourself a favor and get Lumiere HD. Don't bother with the crappy, clunky alternatives that will frustrate you to no end and cost you! I've been there and done that....

Murph

David Newman
September 19th, 2004, 11:59 AM
For PC users, this is a good article, after all the CineForm quote is priceless :)

I'm a Mac person, so I hate to admit this, but I’m being very honest: The workflow solution using CineForm Aspect HD and Premiere, as well as the quality of the image, is, hands down, the winner at the moment.

Frederic Lumiere
September 20th, 2004, 01:43 PM
David,

I thought that was cute. ;)

Frederic

Frederic Lumiere
September 21st, 2004, 06:19 PM
Lumiere HD version 1.2 is now available via the "Check for updates" feature in the Lumiere HD menu option.

This is a free update to owners of Lumiere HD.

Frederic Lumiere
September 30th, 2004, 11:02 PM
We've received many emails on "How to update?" Lumiere HD.

It's very simple. Choose "Check for Updates" from the Lumiere HD menu option within the application.

Frederic

Dustin Cross
October 12th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Aloha,

Can LumiereHD out 1080 60i to a JVC SR-VD400US DVHS deck?

What is the best way to create a 1080 60i Mpeg2 TS file from 1080 24p 10bit uncompressed Quicktime?

I am helping with a project that is in a film festival and we are looking for alternatives to outputting to BetaSP and projecting on a huge screen with a terrible projector. We want to rent our own Projector and are thinking about the best playback format to use. We might be able to get a Panasonic AJ-HD1200A, but we are looking at alternatives, just in case.

Thanks,
Dusty

Paul St. Denis
October 13th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Dave Cox was able to export from Pixlet to 1080i using HDVerter
(do a search on this forum). I've heard great things about lumiere however, so if this is able to do 1080i I would suggest trying that instead.

Frederic Lumiere
October 15th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Dustin,

The next version of Lumiere HD will allow you to output 1080i TS to DVHS decks and the new Sony FX1.

I think the DVHS approach with a good HD resolution projector is a great way to show your film.

Best,

Frederic

Graeme Nattress
October 15th, 2004, 09:47 AM
I'd advise not to use Pixlet as a codec choice. PhotoJPEG100% is a more efficient and better looking codec, that uses less processor too, and is 4:4:4.

Graeme

Frederic Lumiere
October 24th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Dustin,

The next version of Lumiere HD should also support the VC SR-VD400US DVHS deck.

Mahalo Nui Loa

Frederic

Frederic Lumiere
December 8th, 2004, 09:21 PM
A beta of Lumiere HD with support for the Sony HDV cameras was just released and is available to all Lumiere HD customers.

This new version also supports SD HDV mode in the JVC cameras and the GR-PD1 sold in Europe.

It does not allow for output back to the Sony HDV devices yet.

Lumiere HD includes:

• Capture from following HDV devices:

- JVC JY-HD10U (720p30, HDV SD)
- JVC GR-HD1 (720p30, HDV SD)
- JVC GR-PD1 (HDV SD50p)
- JVC CU-VH1(720p30, HDV SD)
- SONY HDR-FX1(1080i60)
- SONY HDR-FX1(E) (1080i50)
- SONY HVR-Z1 (1080i/60/50)

• Converts the captured HDV clips into QuickTime friendly HD MPEG-2 video format (online), via batch processing

• Offers editors their codec of choice (DV, DVCPRO HD, etc.) to edit in Final Cut Pro's timeline, with all of the real-time benefits -- such as transitions, FX, and composites, without rendering. Also provides real-time playing and NTSC monitoring in DV.

• Automates the complete migration of captured HDV footage into Final Cut Pro, including:

- Generating XML File
- Importing clips
- Anamorphic (16:9) setting
- Merging of audio & video
- Online process optimization

• Encodes HD output from Final Cut Pro into HDV MPEG-2 Transport Stream and transfers back to HDV cameras and decks. This step (HDV Print to Tape) is not yet supported for the Sony HDV cameras.

Andy del Barco
December 8th, 2004, 10:26 PM
I noticed on the Lumiere HD Site that Lumiere HD Beta version 1.5b6 is now available! Which includes support for SONY HDR-FX1
CHEERS,
Andy

Heath McKnight
December 10th, 2004, 09:14 PM
www.lumierehd.com

I'm gonna test it soon, Frederic! Just busy!

heath

Dave Cox
December 12th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Frederic,

Can your product encode 1080i content that was captured from HDCAM uncompressed and output a regulart Transport Stream to disk for broadcast use? Also, does the Beta release support the output to the JVC HMDH40000U and or the JVC SR-VD400US. If so can it output 1080i?
Have client that needs this by tuesday.

Dave Cox

Dom Dzip
December 14th, 2004, 02:50 PM
I was experiencing wierd artefacts in transfering from mpegstreamclip. Like dv drops but worse >(hdv drops!)
I looked and looked for other demuxing solutions for the mac.
Finally I bought lumière. And everything seems to run smoothly regardless of enormous transfering time - at least the artefacts are not on my images anymore.
This is footage from the HDR-FX1 usa. (1080i 60i)
I hate the fact that apple will come out with an upgrade for fcphd and lumière will soon be outdated... but my projects are due yesterday, so I had no alternatives. At least none that I could find.

- dOM

Frederic Lumiere
December 16th, 2004, 09:56 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Cox : Frederic,

Can your product encode 1080i content that was captured from HDCAM uncompressed and output a regulart Transport Stream to disk for broadcast use? Also, does the Beta release support the output to the JVC HMDH40000U and or the JVC SR-VD400US. If so can it output 1080i?
Have client that needs this by tuesday.

Dave Cox -->>>

Dave,

Yes, Lumiere HD does encode 1080i TS 25 Mbps. It doesn't officially support the 40K decks however but compatibility with these decks will come very soon.

Frederic

Frederic Lumiere
December 16th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Technical Support for Lumiere HD is provided online via our forum at:

http://www.lumierehd.com/forums/

There are only two simple requirements to receive technical support:

1. You must use your real First and Last name as your username when registering on our forum. (example: John Smith)

2. You must enter your Serial Number in the appropriate field when registering.

This is the most efficient and affordable way for us to offer technical support.
We have multiple technicians, including developers, in multiple time zones answering questions on the forum.

A quick search through the forum database will give an answer within seconds... 90% of the time.

Best,

Frederic

Wes Greene
December 21st, 2004, 11:01 PM
I've been through the quicktime tutorials and read lots of posts, so I have an understand how LumiereHD basically works.
It's a good HDV solution for Mac and I'm thinking of purchasing.

However I was wondering if the software can help me with this.

I have cut together a short video by shooting HDV with the FX1, and then importing the footage as DV via the camera's own downconversion.

I would now like to have a HDV version of this clip (should have thought of this earlier eh?).

Is there a way of using LumiereHD that I can now online to HDV?

Not having used the program I'm unsure if LumiereHD generates it's own timecode or what?

Thanks in advance.

best wishes

PS - Merry Christmas - the video I'm referring to is at
wes.customer.netspace.net.au

Dylan Pank
December 22nd, 2004, 07:13 AM
No, to use Lumiere, you needed to capture the footage as HDV m2t files, and then use Lumiere's transcoding functions to convert the m2t files to hi def m2vs (for online) and DV movs(for offline) with aiff sound (used by both online and offline versions).

Lumiere does not deal with HDV timecode at all, so has no reference to your original shots on the tape, it uses FCP's media management to replace the DV movs with the HDV m2v files from the hard drive.

I'm afraid if you want HDV online you'll have to start again.

Wes Greene
December 22nd, 2004, 01:49 PM
ah ha

thought this might be the case but was hoping otherwise - yu never know yu luck!

thanks

Heath McKnight
December 31st, 2004, 11:05 AM
After doing my transport stream in DVCPro HD 1080i60 (which made it 1280x1080), I imported my XML file, only to discover that it's offline. It finds the AIFF file okay, but when it tries to find the video file, it says:

"File "part 1.mov" does not have proper content to reconnect to clip in sequence "part 1 mov". Click "OK" to make this item independent and go to the next clip or "Cancel" to skip all clips from this file."

HELP!

heath

Heath McKnight
December 31st, 2004, 03:13 PM
One more problem, when importing the XML file, it gives me "non-critical errors" saying it can't "attach" the media file to the clip.

heath

Frederic Lumiere
January 4th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Heath,

It's all resolved right?

Frederic

Heath McKnight
January 4th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Yes. My mistake was calling the original captured M2T clips:

Amanda Wide Shot

Instead of the proper:

Amanda_Wide_shot

Frederic, can you re-explain how to keep things from going out of sync, audio/video-wise?

Also, everyone, I am creating my MOV files as DV 720 by 480, because I know that in the coming weeks, I'll be able to "online" my cut into 1080i HDV and output to tape with the FX1.

heath

Heath McKnight
January 6th, 2005, 02:53 PM
I can email whomever can answer this a still from footage captured, demuxed and made into a timeline codec using the 1.5b8 beta of LHD, and a still captured on Final Cut Pro 2 from a digital downconvert via firewire to a DVX100A.

When I did the codec, I chose DV 720 by 480. When I made a still image from my edit in FCP HD, the image is darker and not as clear as the still my friend made in FCP 2 with the digital downconvert (720 by 480).

Is there something wrong with the initial capture, demux or timeline codec processes? I also notice a new beta (1.5b9)--should I try re-capturing that way, or going through the other processes with the new beta?

Again, I'll email those stills to whomever can answer this question!

Thanks,

heath

Rob Lohman
January 9th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Well it's called a beta for a reason. So this might be a bug. I would
certainly try a newer beta. I assume the beta comes with instructions
on who to contact if you find problems, follow those guidelines.
The developers needs feedback on such issues!