View Full Version : Best shoulder mount have used for ex1/3

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Vincent Oliver
September 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Hang on for long enough and the JVC KYC2000 will probably come through the ceiling. :-)

Craig Hollenback
September 18th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Hi
I have an EX1 and a Z1U and have tried many shoulder mounts. I have also made several with equally mixed results. I came across this item and purchased 2.
Amazon.com: Opteka Hands-Free Camcorder Shoulder Support: Camera & Photo (http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Hands-Free-Camcorder-Shoulder-Support/dp/B0026JGDMC)

You can see it in use here http://www.vimeo.com/1658379

Both my crew and I have been very happy with them and are amazed at the low cost solution. It's made like a truck, works well and is easy to store. I would suggest putting a quick release from bogen on it for ease of use.
It's so good, we are evn using it on our little canon hfs10.
I highly reccommed it and I'd be very suprised if anyone would be disapointed.

Best, Craig Hollenback
Key West, Florida Keys, Key West attractions, Florida Keys hotels, Key West Information - Key West Travel Guide and attractions, videos online (http://www.keystv.com)

Brett Sherman
September 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I agree, but what about the EX1 users? I'd love to have a small, lightweight, unobtrusive device that would allow me to support the rig on my shoulder, while allowing me to use the camera's own handgrip with my right hand, with an LCD extension like the HoodLoupe against my eye, and my left hand free to support the camera and operate its controls at the same time.....

This is exactly what I want. I can chose to shoot with or without the shoulder mount. I can lift the whole thing off my shoulder to get a low or high angle (you can't do this with the opteka).

I've ordered the HoodLoupe setup for EX1. Now I just need to find the right shoulder mount, I'll probably end up having to rig something up or hack apart an existing one. basically I'd have to have a mount just below level and in front of my shoulder. Once I get the HoodLoupe I'll know exactly where the mount will have to be placed.

Barry J. Weckesser
September 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM
This is exactly what I want. I can chose to shoot with or without the shoulder mount. I can lift the whole thing off my shoulder to get a low or high angle (you can't do this with the opteka).

I've ordered the HoodLoupe setup for EX1. Now I just need to find the right shoulder mount, I'll probably end up having to rig something up or hack apart an existing one. basically I'd have to have a mount just below level and in front of my shoulder. Once I get the HoodLoupe I'll know exactly where the mount will have to be placed.

Brett -

That is what I was searching for (a shoulder mount that would work with the HoodLoupe) and also one that was down low enough from the tip of the shoulder so that I could mount a Quick Release Pro 2 below it and be able to mount the Nanoflash on the QRPro2. I just ordered the shoulder mount and it is on the way (from Canada) - should have it next week and will post the results. Check out what it says under component 1 - SS2 Shoulder Rig: "When wearing the camera support, the camera platform can be positioned between 3-3/4" (9.5 cm) and 5-1/4" (13 cm) below your shoulder tip. That is, the base of your camera will be positioned between 3-3/4" (9.5 cm) and 5-1/4" (13 cm) below your shoulder tip. Using this information, verify if the viewfinder of your camera can be positioned at a suitable functional height." I have the HoodLoupe and have experimented with my camera attached to the QRPro2 (which raises it up about 2 1/2") and where I estimate the Spider 2 shoulder mount will place the camera and I think it will work. It should still work even if you have nothing under the camera or you could buy the Shape box to put under the camera to raise it up (look at the sample pix on the website).

Doesn't that sound like what you were describing?

Here is the link: Shape WLB - Spider 2 SS2200 camera support (http://shapewlb.com/en/products/spider2_ss2200.php) - there is also a spider 1 SS2100 without the extension arm. Go to the home page and look at the video from NAB showing the unit in action - it looks promising.

In case you are wondering what in the heck a QRPro2 is I am attaching a couple of pics of same along with a mockup of the Nanoflash (there is a Manfroto quick release adaptor attached to the bottom of it) - and I will put a Swit battery on the front plate to power the Nanoflash. I need to find the right shoulder mount since the QRPro2 weighs 1 lb as well as the Nanoflash which might be a bit much for extended handheld use.

Piotr Wozniacki
September 19th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I came across this item and purchased 2.
Amazon.com: Opteka Hands-Free Camcorder Shoulder Support: Camera & Photo (http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Hands-Free-Camcorder-Shoulder-Support/dp/B0026JGDMC)

You can see it in use here CVP Shoulder Mount on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/1658379)

Craig,

Many of us EX1 users know this device, after it was made popular on this forum by Philip Bloom. Yes, it's lightweight and unobtrusive - but its attachment to your body is so rigid, that:

- the camera moves up and down when you breath
- for the camera to tilt, you need to rock your whole body.

After some initial testing over a year ago, I never actually used it any more.

But that's of course just my opinion :)

Craig Hollenback
September 19th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Appreciate the feedback...Yes, thanks, I was aware of prior knowledge by users on this thread...we've had the EX1 since it's inception. Just thought it might be a low cost alternative to re-mention.
Most of our shooting in with the Sony WA attachment which as you know adds considerable front end weight. Additionally most of our shooting is hand held on a boat which is pitching in seas so the breathing issue is hardly noticed.
http://www.fishmonsterproductions.com
Our series starts 1-Q 2010 on Dish TV, DirectTV and regional cable in North America.
We are very excited to be on Untamed Sports and World Fishing Networks.

Yes, it does require tilting one's body, but so does most other units like redrock, etc unless you slip it on your shoulder which I find binds a little when I am soaked with sweat.
I need to have my hand on the focus ring at all times so the twin handle option won't work well for that.
I have used a short mono pod to a belt pouch, which worked well, but is awkward.
Tried a spider brace, can't free up my hands for camera controls.
Frankly, I still prefer a full size camera for balance and stability from the massive weight.
I too am searching for the perfect shoulder mount that makes the EX1 into a shoulder mount camera,,,BTW looking at the flip out viewfinder is not an option even with the hoodloop because the ergonomic geometry is just not there...it's too close to the camera body.
If I stuble across a solution I'll post it as we are always trying and building new rigs.
Best, Craig

Piotr Wozniacki
September 19th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Craig,

I've just watched the intro video on the web page you've posted a link to - looking great!

Yes, for this sort of action, the breathing motion of el cheapo shoulder mount is not an issue at all.

And yes - it does free your hand for camera control (actually, even both hands)...

Thanks for posting - when you find some other good solution, please make sure to notify us!

Barry J. Weckesser
September 19th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Craig,

I've just watched the intro video on the web page you've posted a link to - looking great!

Yes, for this sort of action, the breathing motion of el cheapo shoulder mount is not an issue at all.

And yes - it does free your hand for camera control (actually, even both hands)...

Thanks for posting - when you find some other good solution, please make sure to notify us!

Pitor - take a look at Shape WLB - Spider 2 SS2200 camera support (http://shapewlb.com/en/products/spider2_ss2200.php) - of course more expensive but looks like good construction and can be hands free - they make a special belt with pockets for the rubber plate on the extension arm.

Piotr Wozniacki
September 19th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Pitor - take a look at Shape WLB - Spider 2 SS2200 camera support (http://shapewlb.com/en/products/spider2_ss2200.php) - of course more expensive but looks like good construction and can be hands free - they make a special belt with pockets for the rubber plate on the extension arm.

Looks interesting, Barry - but I already have given a try to this kind of supports, as well. Here is the one I've bee using: PAG Orbitor Advanced Camcorder support System (http://www.paguk.com/orbitor.htm)

- and I must tell you I like mu current RedRock more! It is just closer to my body, doesn't breathe with me (as it's not supported on my chest or abdomen). Also, If you consider the spider with HoodLope, please note that - again due to the EX1 form factor - it will not go back far enough for your eye to meet the loupe, as the big u60 battery may prevent it!

The PAG does work great with other cameras though - I used it a lot with my old good V1E, which has LANC control, so - with a controller on the handle - you can control zoom AND focus constantly, while your left hand may operate the other controls when needed. The EX1 not having LANC, it's getting more complicated as you need to operate focus.

Craig Hollenback
September 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks for watching the show trailer!
Here's my deal with small cameras.
I am old...59 to be exact but in good shape...except for the eyes. A pop out viewfinder 6 inches from my face is impossible to see, let alone in tropical sun, and holding an EX1 with a 2 lb WA adapter and large battery at arms length isn't an option either.
I started with my old betacam years ago...life was good. Moved to an Canon XL1, pretty nice also with the side mounted viewfinder and great stabilzer. On and on through a JVC DV500, DVX100's, Z1U, EX1 and now this one pound Canon HFS10. Try holding that steady...it doesn't even have an eyepiece viewer!
But it would be great if there was a shoulder mount that moved the EX1 camera eyepiece off set to the left to where a beta cam viewfinder would be and have a super padded shoulder mount on the right shoulder with a huge massive weight that would bring the rig up to about 16 pounds total. It's that simple...no dangling battery boxes halfway down your back, no bicycle handle bar grips, no chest mounts spearing you in the lung, just put the eye piece in the correct spot and put a huge weight on your right shoulder to balance it off.
Off to the drawing board I guess...did I mention that in my past life my profession was an Industrial Designer?
Best, Craig

Brett Sherman
September 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Brett - Doesn't that sound like what you were describing?Here is the link: Shape WLB - Spider 2 SS2200 camera support (http://shapewlb.com/en/products/spider2_ss2200.php) - there is also a spider 1 SS2100 without the extension arm. Go to the home page and look at the video from NAB showing the unit in action - it looks promising.

I think this is getting close and it's worth a look. To me it seems like the screw on the shoulder mount might need to be a couple inches higher. Maybe it can be modified. The Red Mammoth one might work too, if it doesn't put the camera up too high.
Shape WLB - Red Mammouth RM4100 camera support (http://shapewlb.com/en/products/redmammoth.php)

I'll be curious to hear your report.

Brett

David Rogers
September 20th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Alister, I am curious about the bracket that holds the V mount battery and Nano Flash. Is this part of the DM bracket or something else?

Thanks
David

Barry J. Weckesser
September 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I think this is getting close and it's worth a look. To me it seems like the screw on the shoulder mount might need to be a couple inches higher. Maybe it can be modified. The Red Mammoth one might work too, if it doesn't put the camera up too high.
Shape WLB - Red Mammouth RM4100 camera support (http://shapewlb.com/en/products/redmammoth.php)

Brett

Brett -

I am quite anxious to get the unit and try it out(my tracking info says it is in this country so hopefully will have it by midweek). If you look on that website there is an accessory called the SHAPE box made for putting batteries, hard disk recorders etc that will raise the camera up 2"- then you have another 2" play with the screw on the shoulder mount. I am attaching pics of the box mounted to a camera.

You are right about the Red Mammouth (where in the heck do they get those names??!!)- that would put the camera 1/2" above shoulder level - wouldn't be good for my setup since I have the QRPRO2 apparatus raising the camera up 2 1/2" and the camera would be too high for me but it could work for you. However, as I remember, the best position for viewing the HoodLoupe, getting a good eye seal and also not having your face being squished against the side of the camera is for the camera down a bit from the shoulder level so that you have to tilt the LCD viewfinder (and HoodLoupe) up and not down. Aslo, I don't think the Red Mammouth has the availability of the telescoping support which could be quite nice - since a lot of weight is still going to be transmitted to your arms and wrists.

From some of the old posts on here there have been positive remarks about these shoulder mounts but they are not well known outside of French-speaking Canada - the posts on here were by people who did not have English as their native tongue.

Perhaps these shoulder mounts are quite sturdy and work well and (as I am hoping)an "undiscovered gem".

Alister Chapman
September 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM
David: The v-Lock/NanoFlash bracket is a quick release piece that I made up myself. It uses a small off the shelf quick release adapter with an IDX battery plate and some sheet aluminum.

Geoff Addis
September 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM
The Pag Orbitor has worked well for me, tireless and rock steady even after several hours use.

The PAG Orbitor & X1 System (http://www.paguk.com/C6_Orbitor/Orbitorinformation.htm)

Geoff

Barry J. Weckesser
September 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM

Brett

Brett- received the SP2200 SPIDER II shoulder mount today and my initial impressions are quite positive. The fit/finish/workmanship of the unit is excellent. I ordered it with the 4 lb counterweight and glad that I did because it does take weight off the handles and if you use the telescopic arm support you are hands free just needing your hands to make manual adjustments to the camera - all the weight is on your shoulder and hip (or wherever you place the telescopic arm). With regard to the HoodLoupe - yes you can get a decent seal with the eyecup but you do have to crane your neck somewhat to achieve this. A lot of this depends on your body habitus - I am 5'10" 170 so it seems to work for me. I definitely think having the camera BELOW shoulder tip is important if you are going to use the HoodLoupe. I think this is probably the only shoulder mount that will work with my Quick Release Pro2 mounting platform (for the Nanoflash and battery) + using the HoodLoupe at the same time. I also would get the Shape Box to lift the camera up 2" or so (if you don't have something under it like the QRPRO2) but I did not disassemble my camera from the device and see where it is positioned using the adjustment on the shoulder assembly of the Spider II.

Shape WLB has revised their website and added a PRO line for people who want to use Matte boxes etc. : Shape WLB - Camera supports and equipment (http://shapewlb.com/en/index.php)

i will post some pics when the Nanoflash and battery cables come in by the end of the week.

Brett Sherman
September 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Barry,

Would it be possible to move the height adjustment screw up two inches on the shoulder pad? It seems like you could drill another hole and put a lock nut on the back of it after cutting away some padding. I think this would put the camera at the right height, since I don't want to put anything under the camera. I used to have a setup like that until I got a Sennheiser wireless mic, and I don't want to go back to it. I could maybe rivot the camera platform on once I get it in the right position - that would keep the knob from getting in the way of pushing the camera all the way back.

I think moving the platform up would also move the camera slightly closer to your body and maybe you wouldn't have to crane your neck as much. I just found out my HoodLoupe is on back order - so until I get that I won't be buying anything.

Barry J. Weckesser
September 23rd, 2009, 04:33 AM
Barry,

Would it be possible to move the height adjustment screw up two inches on the shoulder pad? It seems like you could drill another hole and put a lock nut on the back of it after cutting away some padding. I think this would put the camera at the right height, since I don't want to put anything under the camera. I used to have a setup like that until I got a Sennheiser wireless mic, and I don't want to go back to it. I could maybe rivot the camera platform on once I get it in the right position - that would keep the knob from getting in the way of pushing the camera all the way back.

I think moving the platform up would also move the camera slightly closer to your body and maybe you wouldn't have to crane your neck as much. I just found out my HoodLoupe is on back order - so until I get that I won't be buying anything.

I really don't think that would work as it starts to bend after the reinforcing plate that holds the shoulder screw. For your purposes look at the Red Mamouth II - it looks like the camera can be brought back closer to your face (adjustment screw has a 6" play). It puts the camera only 3/4 " above your shoulder tip. Here is the link: Shape WLB - RED MAMMOUTH II camera support - RM4200 (http://www.shapewlb.com/en/products/redmamouth2.php) When you get the HoodLoupe this position could easily be replicated by just holding the camera in that position and see where the HoodLoupe comes. If it looks doable then you are in business.

Barry J. Weckesser
September 23rd, 2009, 04:42 AM
I just found out my HoodLoupe is on back order - so until I get that I won't be buying anything.

Look on the Hoodman website - all the components of the EX1 kit are listed as in stock- the HoodLoupe 3.0, the HoodRiser, the strap and the eyecup. You might give them a call and see if they would sell you all the components for the discounted price.

Serena Steuart
September 24th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Something worth considering as an alternative to shoulder mounts is the EasyRig. I've seen BBC and ABC guys using these where they need hand held and the rig is available to suit various camera weights. Not tried it myself, but will be doing so.

Piotr Wozniacki
September 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM
One of the biggest Polish video solutions supplier has this on their website (in Polish, but you can get the idea; it's a 3in1, extremely lightweight solution):

BEIKS Machulski - Stabilizator EAGLE TITAN - Profesjonalne kamery cyfrowe. Akcesoria do kamer i do studia. (http://beiks.pl/katalog/wpis/344/pl)

It's mainly a stabilizer, but can be used as a shoulder mount, or from your hip; it weigh less than 0.5 kg! It can also be upgraded to a full body system with vest.

.. What do you think?

PS. Here is a Google-tanslated version - no too bad, actually :)
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbeiks.pl%2Fkatalog%2Fwpis%2F344%2Fpl

Mike Chandler
September 24th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Piotr--How would you make it fit as a shoulder mount?

Piotr Wozniacki
September 24th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Piotr--How would you make it fit as a shoulder mount?

This picture is in the middle of the page.

Vincent Oliver
September 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM
One of the biggest Polish video solutions supplier has this on their website

.. What do you think?

Can you use it as a car jack too?

Piotr Wozniacki
September 25th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Something worth considering as an alternative to shoulder mounts is the EasyRig. I've seen BBC and ABC guys using these where they need hand held and the rig is available to suit various camera weights. Not tried it myself, but will be doing so.

Serena,

I've done some investigation, and although the idea is excellent, there are two things being show-stoppers for me at least:

-- the price (the Turtle model is not that expensive, but will not take much more than a naked EX1)
-- the way cameras are hung on this thing. With a matte box, 35 mm adapter + lens, monitor, brick battery etc. all attached via rails to the camera's tripod plate with those miserable 4 little screws, I'd never take my EX1 by its handle!

Piotr Wozniacki
September 25th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Bob is correct. As promised, 4 pics of my RR shoulder mount as is, after a long time trial & error testing. As you can see, the camera is almost on top of my shoulder (check its position relative to the shoulder pad). With the matte box and monitor, it's still front heavy (even with considerable counterbalance from the PAG battery, Tekkeon monitor battery, and soon to come NanoFlash on top of them). Not to mention my Letus between the camera and the matte box...

Judging from the relative position of the LCD and the shoulder pad, and using your imagination on where my head/eye would be - can anyone advise whether or not the Hoodman Loupe would fit? I guess it wouldn't - even though I wish it would, thus making the rig free of the monitor (which is now obligatory).

The Manhattan 10.9" HD monitor is great when on the tripod, but not with this shoulder mount arrangement!

OK guys, so I just received the Hoodman loupe, and - in spite of what I was expecting myself, or what others were saying - it is possible to use this configuration with the LCD/Hoodman, and get rid of the monitor and its battery weight!

The only thing I needed to do was to move the whole rig just an inch backward relative to the shoulder pad, and replace the big Hoodman eyepiece with the smaller, circular one.

My impressions on using the Hoodman EX1 kit with naked EX1 are equally positive (see http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1397023-post32.html)

Congrats Hoodman; thanks Lou!

Bob Grant
September 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I'm thinking to roll my own shoulder support. After a lot of running (walking actually) and gunning my right arm was very weary. I don't think the solution needs to be complicated. One of the earliest devices posted here was a simple metal strap the went over the shoulder. Front has a release plate for the camera, back has a cage for a battery or any form of weight. I think such a thing needs to be custom made to fit or else be bendable to fit.
All that needs to be achieved is to get some of the weight off the right arm and reduce the torsion on the wrist. I think the later is more the problem than the weight.

Kevin Spahr
September 25th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah Bob, I'm heading that way too. Every shoulder mount I look at seems to have something I do not like. Then there's the price. I'm still in the design stage but thinking of incorporating detachable rails into my baseplate design.

Here's my baseplate I knocked out one morning. The hardest part was finding the aluminum, but I found a piece in my shop. Total out of pocket might have been $1.50 for two longer metric screws that I did not have in my bins.

George Strother
September 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hi
I have an EX1 and a Z1U and have tried many shoulder mounts. I have also made several with equally mixed results. I came across this item and purchased 2.

You can see it in use here CVP Shoulder Mount on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/1658379)

Both my crew and I have been very happy with them and are amazed at the low cost solution. It's made like a truck, works well and is easy to store. I would suggest putting a quick release from bogen on it for ease of use.
It's so good, we are evn using it on our little canon hfs10.
I highly reccommed it and I'd be very suprised if anyone would be disapointed.

Best, Craig Hollenback

I bought one when Phil first raved about it. Like many commented, the chest pad makes it hard to shoot for more than a few seconds. When you need to breath, the camera bobs up and down.

So I cut the pad away from it's arm and bolted a telescoping golf ball retriever in it's place. Now I have an adjustable length arm that drops over my belt. Makes long, standing shots easier than with my D600 BetaCam rig. It's even a surprisingly good stabilizer for walking shots.

Jon Braeley
September 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM
So I cut the pad away from it's arm and bolted a telescoping golf ball retriever in it's place.

Can you post a piccie of your adapter?
I thought about adding a very soft latex pad that would "soak" up your breathing rythm.

Nathan Hudson
September 26th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Ok, so, i see the link to the Opteka support....and freak out.....I ordered one right away. For $30 how can you go wrong? If I don't like it, it's not like I'm out a bunch of money. It never hurts to have options. I already have a wrist shot that works wonderfully, however, the arm still gets very tired. For wakeboarding, the wrist shot is awesome. For other scenarios this Opteka is awesome! On top of that I'll probably still get a really nice shoulder mount as well. Those generally leave my arms tired but seem to work better than the opteka or wrist shot for walking and shooting. Different tools for different scenarios. It never hurts to be prepared.

Barry J. Weckesser
September 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Brett - I have some posted some pics with my new shoulder mount system (Shape WLB - SPIDER II camera support - SP2200 (http://www.shapewlb.com/en/products/spider2.php)) being used with the HoodLoupe: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1402150-post10.html

I found this sytem quite comfortable using it for two hours today - no shoulder strain and no weight supported by either hand - totally free to make the usual manual adjustments.

Evan Meades
September 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I still have some pics of my old design on-line if anyone is interested.

here's the gallery link;

My_Ex3_Mount (http://photo-media.com.au/galleries/EX3_gallery/)

cheers,

Evan

Ryan Mitchell
September 26th, 2009, 10:07 PM
That's a cool design, Evan - however, I don't know if strapping a brick of C4 as a counterweight is a good idea... :)

Ryan Mitchell
September 26th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Brett - I have some posted some pics with my new shoulder mount system (Shape WLB - SPIDER II camera support - SP2200 (http://www.shapewlb.com/en/products/spider2.php)) being used with the HoodLoupe: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1402150-post10.html

I found this sytem quite comfortable using it for two hours today - no shoulder strain and no weight supported by either hand - totally free to make the usual manual adjustments.

Barry - thanks for posting the detailed pics - your pictures and description has put the Shape-WLB on the short list for me for stabilization options. A couple of questions for you, though:

I noticed in your pictures you were using the QRPro to raise the camera up to eye level. Would you think that Shape-WLB's Shape Box option would give you the same approximate room, albeit with half of the "accessory" space that you have with the QRPro? Also on this subject, is the Spider's ability to raise/lower the camera with the shoulder adjustment not sufficient to get the camera up to your eye, such that if you didn't have the QRPro, you could still get the camera up to eye level?

Also, in your pictures you have a waist strap that the support arm cup is sitting in for stability. What are you using for the waist strap? I find it odd that Shape-WLB doesn't offer any solution or guidance for this beyond what they have...

Ryan Mitchell
September 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Barry - one more question (sorry). It's not called out explicitly on the Shape-WLB website, but I wanted to confirm that unlike the DVTec MultiRig and associated stabilizer products, the Shape-WLB doesn't have a spring-loaded stabilizer arm - that the arm is rigid, and doesn't have any "play" in it? Does this, in your opinion, not cause your body's movement at the hip, for example (where you have yours resting), causing movement at the camera's level?

Barry J. Weckesser
September 27th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Barry - thanks for posting the detailed pics - your pictures and description has put the Shape-WLB on the short list for me for stabilization options. A couple of questions for you, though:

I noticed in your pictures you were using the QRPro to raise the camera up to eye level. Would you think that Shape-WLB's Shape Box option would give you the same approximate room, albeit with half of the "accessory" space that you have with the QRPro? Also on this subject, is the Spider's ability to raise/lower the camera with the shoulder adjustment not sufficient to get the camera up to your eye, such that if you didn't have the QRPro, you could still get the camera up to eye level?

Also, in your pictures you have a waist strap that the support arm cup is sitting in for stability. What are you using for the waist strap? I find it odd that Shape-WLB doesn't offer any solution or guidance for this beyond what they have...

Barry - one more question (sorry). It's not called out explicitly on the Shape-WLB website, but I wanted to confirm that unlike the DVTec MultiRig and associated stabilizer products, the Shape-WLB doesn't have a spring-loaded stabilizer arm - that the arm is rigid, and doesn't have any "play" in it? Does this, in your opinion, not cause your body's movement at the hip, for example (where you have yours resting), causing movement at the camera's level?

Hey Ryan -

Actually choosing the Spider II consisted of two factors - (1) the QRPro2 is a permanent (as far as I am concerned) addition to the camera - it serves as a Nanoflash and battery mounting platform and also an aide in handholding the camera not allowing the camera to flip to one side when you hold it with your right hand (the plate rests against your arm) -(2) I find that I have gotten used to the Hoodman HoodLoupe and do not want to be without it. The Spider II is the only mount that allows you to keep the camera significantly BELOW shoulder level so that when the QRPro2 is mounted it is still 1 1/2" below my shoulder peak. This is "eye level" for me as it allows me to tilt the HoodLoupe LCD combo DOWN so that my face doesn't rest against the fat part of the camera body. If you didn't have the QRPRO2 and had the camera adjusted at the top level - the bottom of the camera would be 2 1/2" below your shoulder tip - just try your camera out at this approximate level and see how comfortable that is.

Yes, you could use the SHAPE box to raise the camera up but if you aren't going to be using the HoodLoupe or adding an accessory holder below the camera then look around the SHAPE WLB website and this might be more suitable for your needs: Shape WLB - RED MAMMOUTH II camera support - RM4200 (http://www.shapewlb.com/en/products/redmamouth2.php) - with this unit the camera is positioned 3/4" above your shoulder peak and can be moved back and forth in a 6" slot.

With regard to the waist strap - it is quite good - Velcro - easy on and off and has two pockets that exactly fit the rubber plate at the end of the telescoping arm - it is from SHAPE-WLB - very new - just hasn't been put on their website but you can order it over the phone - it is definitely a good addition to this system.

With regard to your question about the arm - from the SHAPE website: "The TELESCOPIC SUPPORT ARM is a Manfrotto 233B Camera Mount Bracket (without the Manfrotto 143BKT camera plate). The arm can be extended from 14" (36 cm) to 20" (51 cm)." It IS spring loaded and has an adjusting bracket to stop it from moving but I think, even with the spring, it will still transmit some body movement.

Evan Meades
September 27th, 2009, 05:04 PM
That's a cool design, Evan - however, I don't know if strapping a brick of C4 as a counterweight is a good idea... :)

Come in handy if there's too many paps around!

Serena Steuart
September 27th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Serena,

I've done some investigation, and although the idea is excellent, there are two things being show-stoppers for me at least:

-- the price (the Turtle model is not that expensive, but will not take much more than a naked EX1)
-- the way cameras are hung on this thing. With a matte box, 35 mm adapter + lens, monitor, brick battery etc. all attached via rails to the camera's tripod plate with those miserable 4 little screws, I'd never take my EX1 by its handle!

That certainly is a big load to hold on a shoulder mount but never-the-less I carried the equivalent or more in my younger film days. The EasyRig 2 will carry it. The Turtle Strong will take the EX plus matte box and rails. Carrying by the handle isn't necessary since a simple bracket will transfer the load to the base of the camera/rails/whatever. I grant you not a cheap option to the simple mounts, but something to be considered. Apologies for my tardy response; you'll understand the reasons.

Brett Sherman
September 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM
OK guys, so I just received the Hoodman loupe, and - in spite of what I was expecting myself, or what others were saying - [b]it is possible to use this configuration with the LCD/Hoodman,

Can you post a picture with you and the Hoodman/RR combo? It would be much appreciated.

Brett Sherman

John Peterson
September 28th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Ok, so, i see the link to the Opteka support....and freak out.....I ordered one right away. For $30 how can you go wrong? If I don't like it, it's not like I'm out a bunch of money. It never hurts to have options. I already have a wrist shot that works wonderfully, however, the arm still gets very tired. For wakeboarding, the wrist shot is awesome. For other scenarios this Opteka is awesome! On top of that I'll probably still get a really nice shoulder mount as well. Those generally leave my arms tired but seem to work better than the opteka or wrist shot for walking and shooting. Different tools for different scenarios. It never hurts to be prepared.

I am nervous about buying from 47th Street Photo (I was there years ago and didn't like their attitude), yet I cannot find this device anywhere else including on the Opteka website. Does it actually say Opteka on the device? Was there a problem ordering from 47th Street photo? No one else seems to sell it.

John

Nathan Hudson
September 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I too was a little nervous about it. However, like i said, 30 dollars is not a huge loss. As long as I get it in the mail then fine. If I never receive it then I'll call the Credit Card Company and report fraud. If it's a POS, then I got what I paid for. But even if I get just one use out of it, it will pay for itself. After hearing someone else say they ordered a couple and they worked. I tend to trust people on this board a little, so I guess we will see. They seem to have a good approval rating on Amazon. Attitude I could care less about. I have other stores I usually route my purchases through so this is more of a one off purchase.

Piotr Wozniacki
September 28th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Can you post a picture with you and the Hoodman/RR combo? It would be much appreciated.

Brett Sherman

I realize I owe some more feedback to you, Brett, and perhaps many other reading this thread. Unfortunately, I'm in no position now to have photos taken of myself actually using the rig. Instead, I'll reiterate that:

- with the rig as depicted earlier in this thread, there is a QR plate between the RR shoulder mount pad and the camera. For me it's a must, as I often change configurations, putting the camera on the tripod with or without my Letus, then back again on the shoulder mount. However, this added height makes the use of Hoodman lupe just barely possible - certainly not optimal, and far from convenient.

- that said, if somebody is planning to put his EX1 on the RR shoulder mount more or less permanently, it's possible to fix it directly to the shoulder pad (using the typical screw and Allen key provided). In this configuration (I have just tried it so that I could take responsibility for what I'm posting here), using the Hoodman loupe is absolutely possible, as it becomes *almost* horizontal.

I hope this helps in making up your minds. I shall add however that if I could start all over again, I'd buy something more like Barry's Spider II, and possibly a smaller / lighter matte box for my shoulder-supported shooting. All my RR stuff is only perfect when used in the tripod configuration, which luckily is 90% of all my work.

Piotr

Brett Sherman
September 30th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I just ordered the Sumo Shoulder Mount and Counterbalance from Shape WLB - Camera supports and equipment (http://www.shapewlb.com). They let me order the individual parts so it only came to $250 with shipping. I tested the fit by setting a 3/4" piece of plywood on my shoulder to check the height.

I'm probably going to shorten the plate so it ends right under the EX1 and doesn't stick out. I might try to rig up a single handle centered on the camera. I never quite understood the desire for two handles. It looks cool, but if you use one it's off balance. If you use two, you need a camera assistant to follow you around to focus.

Piotr Wozniacki
September 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM
. I might try to rig up a single handle centered on the camera. I never quite understood the desire for two handles. It looks cool, but if you use one it's off balance. If you use two, you need a camera assistant to follow you around to focus.

This why my right handle is positioned under the camera (almost), while the left one is offset for steadier shooting. Using the Follow Focus knob and other controls with my left hand, I can hold the camera with my right hand quite steady, but for a limited period of time.

Nathan Hudson
October 1st, 2009, 01:29 AM
will update everyone on the "opteka" version tomorrow as it is due to come in.

Nathan Hudson
October 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! FOR THE PRICE THERE IS NO COMPARISON!

It's not super plush or anything when it comes to comfort but the mount does it's job well. The flat plate as seen in the video with Phil is kinda jacked but I quickly figured out that using the riser adapter instead is the way to go. It puts my LCD right at eye-level. I don't really use the EVF anymore since buying my Hoodman H400 Hood. I have to say I was a little anxious about if it would work good or not but I am 100% satisfied with my purchase as dirt cheap as it is. I will be showing my friend, who also has an EX1, this mount. We both are doing a Music Festival and this shoulder mount will come in handy. I own the Hoodman Wrist Shot, however, it takes the strain off the wrist, but it does not fix the arm fatigue problem. This leaves my arms feeling unworked! I paid for 2 day shipping on this and still only paid 35 dollars total. Highly recommended by me for a budget shoulder mount that works excellent!

Serena Steuart
October 1st, 2009, 07:23 PM
A couple of pages ago I suggested the EasyRig Turtle as a better option than shoulder mounts for the EXs. The benefits are obvious and well described on their website. The cheapest version is the Turtle, designed for small cameras, but the EX1 needs the Turtle X (strong). Yesterday at a rental place I tested the Turtle and decided against it. It works as described, nicely taking the weight of the camera so leaving your hands free. You can change from high shot to low shot without the restrictions that a lot of shoulder mounts impose. However I'm tall (182 cm) and the Turtle is designed specifically for the average person. To get the pole clearing my head the belt had to be about my waist (should be on hips) and while usable the fit was loose and wobbly. Did that matter? Strictly in terms of taking the weight of the camera it didn't, but as soon as I walked the pole wobbled and this affected the camera. Seemed to me that the EX1 with extras was stretching the capabilities of the Turtle and I would need the EasyRig 2.5 (firm fitting vest and adjustable pole). Unfortunately a lot more expensive, but will carry the sort of load represented by Piotr's rig (see photo from website). I'm a bit disappointed; lesson: as always, try before you buy.

Piotr Wozniacki
October 2nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
Serena,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us!

This is exactly what I thought when seeing the EasiRig webpage. BTW, their solution to avoid hanging a heavy rig by the camera handle is use the FigRig in between... This, plus EasyRig 2.5, would definitely be too expensive and bulky for me!

Nathan,

Are you saying you can use the HoodLoupe with the 'opteka' mount? Some pics, please :)

Barry J. Weckesser
October 2nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! FOR THE PRICE THERE IS NO COMPARISON!

It's not super plush or anything when it comes to comfort but the mount does it's job well. The flat plate as seen in the video with Phil is kinda jacked but I quickly figured out that using the riser adapter instead is the way to go. It puts my LCD right at eye-level. I don't really use the EVF anymore since buying my Hoodman H400 Hood. I have to say I was a little anxious about if it would work good or not but I am 100% satisfied with my purchase as dirt cheap as it is. I will be showing my friend, who also has an EX1, this mount. We both are doing a Music Festival and this shoulder mount will come in handy. I own the Hoodman Wrist Shot, however, it takes the strain off the wrist, but it does not fix the arm fatigue problem. This leaves my arms feeling unworked! I paid for 2 day shipping on this and still only paid 35 dollars total. Highly recommended by me for a budget shoulder mount that works excellent!

I thought the "Opteka" looked familiar - I bought that around 9 months ago (different name then - probably "made in China" but marketed under different brand names) for around the same price at the time when Phil Bloom was giving it a good rating - in fact, there is an entire thread on this mount in the "other forum" titled "El Cheapo shoulder support arrived today" - 5 pages long and started February 2008. I used it a couple of times - been sitting on the shelf ever since. I found it to be so lightweight and narrow that I was worried about it slipping off my shoulder (that is the reason for the shoulder harness). It also would move while breathing and I would end up holding my breath during shots. I was also wary about how it connected to the camera - seemed rather tenuous. IMHO trusting this device on a 6K camera + accessories is risky - but that may be my conseratism showingthrough. Here is a review from "Basspig" on the "other forum" : http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1265617&postcount=44 - hope I am not committing heresy here but it is good to look at the 5 page thread on the other forum - everybody was really excited about it at first but then...