Pages : 1 2 [3]

Piotr Wozniacki
October 2nd, 2009, 05:07 AM
Didn't I write the same?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1371917-post55.html

:)

Jon Braeley
October 2nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
There are a few occasions I need a shoulder mount - but I am very limited in what I can carry as I travel mostly to remote places. The rigs I tested were too large to include in my bags and took too long to set up for me.
I just practiced with the Opteka cheapo and in it's defence, I think it's a worthwhile compromise. It is small enough to fit in my camera bag with my Ex3 and superfast to use if you attach a QR plate. Now as to the breathing problem, maybe it's my 30 years in martial arts, but when I breathe only my lower belly moves - I do not use my chest to breathe, so for me the cheapo is steady. Also it is better to bend your body to tilt rather than lowering or raising your hands, instead I adopt a wider leg stance and bend my knees and find this is more stable than using my arms.
It's a very subjective problem with shoulder mounts. I have bought $800 rigs and been unhappy and who would think that spending $30 would make me smile!

Piotr Wozniacki
October 2nd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Can you post a picture with you and the Hoodman/RR combo? It would be much appreciated.

Brett Sherman

Brett, here are some pictures you requested.

Barry J. Weckesser
October 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Didn't I write the same?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1371917-post55.html

:)

You sure did - sounds like we had the exact same experience.

Barry J. Weckesser
October 2nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Brett, here are some pictures you requested.

Wow! Piotr - "That'salottagear!!" - how much does everything weigh including the shoulder mount as you have it configured in the pictures?

Piotr Wozniacki
October 2nd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Wow! Piotr - "That'salottagear!!" - how much does everything weigh including the shoulder mount as you have it configured in the pictures?

Well Barry - I guess some 7-8 kgs (including one 4x5.65" filter)...

Of course, I do have a possibility to mount the longer version of the RR handles (as per the pics I had posted earlier), and - with the counterweight battery moved some 10 cm to the back - the whole rig's natural position is more level. BUT, to use the HoodLoupe, I need to look up!

Barry J. Weckesser
October 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Well Barry - I guess some 7-8 kgs (including one 4x5.65" filter)...

Of course, I do have a possibility to mount the longer version of the RR handles (as per the pics I had posted earlier), and - with the counterweight battery moved some 10 cm to the back - the whole rig's natural position is more level. BUT, to use the HoodLoupe, I need to look up!

Wow - that is nearly 18 pounds (and I am assuming you are including the counterweight in the measurement)?

You might want to give my rig ( but the Pro version made for Mattboxes) a second look - you do not need a counterweight - I just use the back pad - the weight is distributed between your shoulder and the telescoping arm that fits in the belt around your waist - your hands have no weight on them and are not even needed for balancing the camera - I use them for ligtly touching the handles and now that I have all the remote controls on the handle, I never have to put my right hand up to camera level and my left hand is always free to hang by my side or make manual adjustments to the camera. And again - the HoodLoupe would be tilted UP keeping your face away from the fat body of the camera.

Here is the link: Shape WLB - SPIDER II PRO camera support - SS2200PRO (http://shapewlb.com/en/products/spider2pro.php)
and also the belt: Shape WLB - The list of our products (http://shapewlb.com/en/products-accessories.php)

Piotr Wozniacki
October 2nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks, Barry. But:

- first, there is a considerable price involved (for me at least, as you know I'm recovering from a serious surgery)

- second, when filming a person's face from short distance, you'd need to tilt your rig up quite a bit; nobody likes his face from the low angle!

- third, I'm not a great fan of abdomen supports, as they breath with you and sway when you walk!

PS. Yes, of course I counted the battery.

Barry J. Weckesser
October 2nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks, Barry. But:

- first, there is a considerable price involved (for me at least, as you know I'm recovering from a serious surgery)

- second, when filming a person's face from short distance, you'd need to tilt your rig up quite a bit; nobody likes his face from the low angle!

- third, I'm not a great fan of abdomen supports, as they breath with you and sway when you walk!

PS. Yes, of course I counted the battery.

Yes - I can see why it might not work in your situation but just to clarify (for others) - the telescopic arm is meant to be placed over a bony area like the hip-pelvis area so there is no problem with breathing. In using the belt the telescopic arm stays put but of course there is movement of the camera with walking, however this type of rig is not really meant to be used as a stabilization system like the steadicam etc.

Svein Rune Skilnand
October 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Hi.
After having read all the posts and seen the various suggestions I think, maybe, I have settled on the Protech for my EX3. But just maybe. I love my camera, I really do, but I struggle with it handheld. On a tripod I love it, but if I am in a hurry and know I will be shooting handheld, I actually find myself picking up my GY-HD111 just because of the formfactor.

Then Panasonic came with a tempting offer on their HPX301, which already has a shouldermount, beacuse it is a shouldermount camera. And I have already tested the HM700, which was perfectly balanced and to mye eyes gave a great picture

So, should I sell my EX3, buy one of the others, or invest more in my EX3? I have come to the conclusion that buying the Protech would lead me to buy a V-lock battery and charger, but then again I already have two batteries for my EX3. And they are good enough for me.
I am even considering buying the AJA Ki-Pro and somehow mount that on the Protech instead of a battery.

What would you do? I am a little confused at the moment.

Barry J. Weckesser
October 7th, 2009, 09:09 AM
In case any of you want to see up close (very close) the entire Shape-WLB line of shoulder supports (not the newer pro line) - link to video: Shape WLB camera equipment #1 on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/6909888)
I use the Spider 2 (with the telescopic arm).

Tom Daigon
October 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Hi.
After having read all the posts and seen the various suggestions I think, maybe, I have settled on the Protech for my EX3. But just maybe. I love my camera, I really do, but I struggle with it handheld. On a tripod I love it, but if I am in a hurry and know I will be shooting handheld, I actually find myself picking up my GY-HD111 just because of the formfactor.

Then Panasonic came with a tempting offer on their HPX301, which already has a shouldermount, beacuse it is a shouldermount camera. And I have already tested the HM700, which was perfectly balanced and to mye eyes gave a great picture

So, should I sell my EX3, buy one of the others, or invest more in my EX3? I have come to the conclusion that buying the Protech would lead me to buy a V-lock battery and charger, but then again I already have two batteries for my EX3. And they are good enough for me.
I am even considering buying the AJA Ki-Pro and somehow mount that on the Protech instead of a battery.

What would you do? I am a little confused at the moment.

Svein, I recently had a lot of the same questions regarding the purchase of a shoulder mount for my new EX3. I realized after extensive research that I wanted a device that could sit balanced on my shoulder with a battery (Anton Baur) provideing the weight. But more importantly, I wanted to hold the camera with one hand on the zoom and one on the focus, as it was meant to be held for optimal control. The Protech ST-7 was my choice until I found it was very hard to buy in the US and way to costly with shipping. I found a similar design made by DM Accessories that does exactly what I wanted. I am very happy with it. My second choice would have been the WLB Spider Pro 2. Good luck with your decision.

Barry J. Weckesser
October 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Svein, I recently had a lot of the same questions regarding the purchase of a shoulder mount for my new EX3. I realized after extensive research that I wanted a device that could sit balanced on my shoulder with a battery (Anton Baur) provideing the weight. But more importantly, I wanted to hold the camera with one hand on the zoom and one on the focus, as it was meant to be held for optimal control. The Protech ST-7 was my choice until I found it was very hard to buy in the US and way to costly with shipping. I found a similar design made by DM Accessories that does exactly what I wanted. I am very happy with it. My second choice would have been the WLB Spider Pro 2. Good luck with your decision.

That looks like a good shoulder mount for the EX3 (DM Accessories) (of course not for the EX1) but approximately how much of the weight is transferred to the shoulder vs. your hands - just from guestimating it looks like you still have a heavy load on your hand/arm even with the counterbalance of the Anton Bauer. I got the 4 lb counterweight with the Spider II but only use the backbrace since I use the telescopic arm for front support. With the counterweight there was definite shifting of weight to the shoulder but the front end of the camera still felt heavy. I just like having both hands/arms free of weight support altogether and the ability to control the camera with a Manfrotto remote mounted on one of the front handles.

Piotr Wozniacki
November 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'm very happy with my HD109A monitor, powered from a Tekkeon battery, when using the tripod, and I'm going to keep it.

However, I need advise on which of the 2 new upcoming Manhattan models (the HD071A or HD8900) I should pick to mount on the left handle of my RedRock shoulder mount, as depicted below with and without my current HD109A (too big as you can see)...

The HD071A would fit better and handle easier with this rig, while the HD8900 would certainly give me a better picture to focus on. Tough choice!

Comments welcome

John Peterson
November 5th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Piotr,

I haven't been able to shoot at all for a couple of months because of a pinched nerve in my neck. This didn't happen overnight.

I would suggest the lighter version. I also find that reading glasses help a lot for critical focusing and they are very inexpensive.

John

Piotr Wozniacki
November 5th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks John, but if I told you MY neck spine story (not connected with shooting video), you would consider me crazy even considering a rig like this:)

But well; at 55, how much more can I lose? Occupation or hobby being a passion, and life without a passion being worthless...

Ron Wilk
November 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
The Spider II Pro appears to be a comfortable solution to the Sony Ex3 ergo issues. The manufacturer's web site indicates that it can be used with a quick release plate but there are no photos of its undercarriage and I would like to know if it can be attached to a Sony Quick Release plate? Anyone with experience in this arena?

Thank you in advance.

Barry J. Weckesser
November 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I have a Spider II attached to a Manfrotto quick release plate like so: Shape WLB community/barry-j-weckesser-sept-2009-004 (http://shapewlb.com/en/includes/community/photo-gallery/slides/barry-j-weckesser-sept-2009-004.html) - I have the plate attached to the bottom of the QRPro2 accessory shelf and the bottom poart of the Manfrotto adaptor directly to the Spider II - you can see a plastic know underneath- easy to loosen it up so you can slide it back and forth for different camera position.

Ron Wilk
November 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Hi and thank you for the photo but I'm not sure that we're on the same page. I have an Ex3 mounted to a VF Gadgets plate and would like to attach that combination to the Spider which I suspect is doable. But, without unmounting from the Spider, I would like to be able to retain the ability to attach the entire affair to a Sony Quick Release plate which is attached to a Sachtler tripod. That would require a "V" mount connection on the underside of the Spider and although I do have a spare VF Gadgets "V" mount, I do not know if the Spider is tapped for such an affair or its equivalent?

Piotr Wozniacki
November 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I'm very happy with my HD109A monitor, powered from a Tekkeon battery, when using the tripod, and I'm going to keep it.

However, I need advise on which of the 2 new upcoming Manhattan models (the HD071A or HD8900) I should pick to mount on the left handle of my RedRock shoulder mount, as depicted below with and without my current HD109A (too big as you can see)...

The HD071A would fit better and handle easier with this rig, while the HD8900 would certainly give me a better picture to focus on. Tough choice!

Comments welcome

EX users, please provide us with your input in this thread re: under 7" monitors:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sdtv-hdtv-video-monitors/467283-marshall-v-lcd70p-hdmi-sb-vs-ikan-v5600.html

Piotr Wozniacki
December 4th, 2009, 08:31 AM
OK guys - have my Marshall now, and am delighted!

- weight ans size perfect (even for hand-held/shoulder mount)
- resolution just OK
- user-assignable function keys with False Colors, Peaking, Underscan and Pixel-to-Pixel make it a really Pro tool!
- and the added benefit: when not using my PAG brick, I can feed it from my BP-U30 battery that was gathering dust so far; with only 12 W of the Marshall power requirements, the little battery has enough juice to power it for a couple of hours.

BTW Still keeping my largish Manhattan 109A with 1366x768 resolution for those occasions when size doesn't (or DOES ?) matter, i.e. on the tripod with Letus, etc. But frankly, I think now that all this "true HD" for a field monitor is just a hype (including DP1). Of course, 800x480 in a 11" factor would be too low, though ! But for a 7", it's just enough.

Here are 2 pics of my Redrock shoulder mount rig. Please note the huge counterbalance (the PAG battery - 2kgs); also, when needed, I can still use the extended functionality of my EX1's own LCD thanks to the Hoodman loupe.

Ryan Mitchell
December 4th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Piotr - thanks for updating with your new gear and rig - that's a much more complete version of the RR setup than mine, but I've been thinking about the addition of a Marshall to my new RR shoulderMount.

It sounds like you're suggesting that the SD resolution of the Marshall is fine for what you need - and it's still a great advantage over the EX1's built-in LCD display? I've been wondering if the Marshall 70P was good enough or if the 651ST was a better option, although quite a bit more expensive. It appears that the biggest advantages of the 651 over the 70P are the transreflective coating, allowing it to be much more visible outdoors in bright light, as well as the higher resolution (although interestingly enough - not 16:9 widescreen - it's only 1024x768, not full 720p resolution).

Have you had a chance to see how the 70P fares outside or in bright light elsewhere?

Piotr Wozniacki
February 2nd, 2010, 09:00 AM
Guys, I just thought this thread deserves updating - please see my posts here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-cinealta/470690-ex1-shoulder-mount-system.html#post1480573