View Full Version : New PMW-350, EX1R camcorders and SxS media announced

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Barry J. Anwender
October 22nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Hi Alister,
You did said "Didn't check for IR, but Sony did state that the optical filters have improved IR cutoff.?". I was going to purchase my second EX3 but decided not to proceed unit Sony found a fix with the IR issue. Would you be in a position to find out and lets us know what Sony have done to improved the IR cutoff or is it still an issue but to a lesser degree.
Many Thanks

If Sony has indeed resolved the IR cutoff problem on the EX1R, it would be very prudent for them to offer this improvement as an upgrade for the EX1 & EX3 via a trip to service depot. The camera still has to go to a Sony service depot for firmware upgrades--the old filters on the front end optics could be swapped out for the newer ones. I would much prefer this solution rather than having to purchase/add-on an external IR cut filter.

Tom Hardwick
October 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
I would much prefer this solution rather than having to purchase/add-on an external IR cut filter.

I can't tell you how much I agree with this statement.

Alister Chapman
October 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
I will try and get hold of the camera again to do further tests, but the picture quality really, really impressed me. I think we really are approaching the limits of what you can get from a 1920x1080 camera.

Mike Marriage
October 22nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
I can't tell you how much I agree with this statement.

I've got the screw on for the EX3 and it is no problem at all. Protects the front element of the lens too! Would surely be cheaper and easier than getting the camera altered.

Having said that, I still hope they have fixed the issue with the 350!

Andrew Stone
October 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
The PMW-350 by Alister's account and the spec sheet looks fantastic. If it hasn't been noted here yet, the 4 channel audio is full 48 kHz at 16bit. This is significant as other solutions in this price range have hobbled 4 channel audio. Being able to move up to the 2/3" ENG environment with an affordable lens within $20K is very compelling in my eyes.

For those of you using nanoFlash... has it hit the point of being completely ready in a production environment? Using a NanoFlash with the 350 pretty much has you set for most HD production submission requirements.

Andrew Stone
October 22nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
As far as I know there are no changes to the EX3 and I assume that must also include the filters. So for an EX3 you would want the new Tiffen T1 IR.

A guess based on release dates of the original EX1 and EX3 and marketing issues (read sell through of the EX1R) I would say the EX3 won't receive an update till spring at the earliest.

Docea Marius
October 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
It is possible to send the old EX1 was set to service and the new IR filter? :-)

Erik Phairas
October 22nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Without updated Sensors I can't get too excited. Besides I am still in love with my EX3. :)

Alister Chapman
October 23rd, 2009, 03:28 AM
The EX3 is NOT getting an update and there are no plans to update it any time soon according to my contacts within Sony.

The NanoFlash works very well, is solid and reliable. Mike Schell at CD won't release a product until he is sure that it works as advertised. I have used mine on several large projects and it has been brilliant. It's more than ready for prime-time.

Craig Seeman
October 23rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the changes were part of a firmware upgrade such as cache record and many standard def unless those are tried to hardware changes. I'd think this would be a bit more than $100 as well if it were to happen. All speculation though.

Alister Chapman
October 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
SD would require a DV codec chip, there is only an Mpeg encoder in the EX3.

Craig Seeman
October 23rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
So record cache would be possible?

Interesting the inclusion of DV/Standard Def. I honestly think that's a rare need given one can shoot HD and edit in SD timeline with greater flexibility.

1440x1080 HQ could be valuable for those mixing EX with XDCAM HD though too.

Bob Willis
October 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Yes Craig, that will help. But I am much more interested in using the Nanoflash to record 1920X1080 for my XDCAM HD camera(F350) and then mixing that with the EX1 (as 1920X1080) in the timeline.

Now that will be progress.

Steve Minnick
October 25th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I was one of the people that originally discovered that it was possible to use SDHC via an adapter with the EX3 and then EX1. Initially this excited me, but I soon discovered that it simply was not as robust as using SxS, for many reasons. The new Sony adapter eliminates many of the issues as it has better handshaking to prevent recording before the previous file has been closed. (you will need a firmware update to be able to use the Sony adapter).

So while SDHC is cheaper you have to consider what value you give your material and how reliable you need your workflow to be. Sony have now presented EX users with option that is guaranteed to work and built to Sony's high standards.

Does anybody know if Sony's adapter (MEAD-MS01 adaptor for use with Sony’s Memory Stick Pro HG Duo HX Series media) will be able to record all frame rates-fast and slow?

That would seem to be the only advantage over the SDHC adapters out there. As the Mem sticks from Sony are a bit more pricey than SDHC cards.

Alister Chapman
October 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM
As I said in my review the Sony adapter will not work for S&Q. But it will require a firmware update to the camera. I believe this is to ensure that any files being written are closed before the camera will go into record. This should prevent many of the issues that lead to corrupt files on the SDHC solutions, making the Sony method more reliable.

Jay Lee
October 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Alister, very nice review, much appreciated. I have a couple of questions for you based on your experience. As an EX1 owner, I'm pretty happy, but was wondering how the 350 does in terms of low light performance. Is there a noticeable difference due to the 2/3" chips?

The other thing I'm curious about is the dynamic range of the camera. I do a lot of shooting in high contrast environments (indoors with dark interiors and windows with Arizona sun shining through). I saw something about a backlight control, but haven't seen much about that. Is there any kind of compensation for handling these kinds of situations?

Last thing, how big are the improvements for the IR filter? Having black be black would be a good thing and save doing color correction to fix that.

Overall, this is the camera I've wanted to see Sony produce, I never understood why Sony would choose the XL2 as the model for a shoulder mount camera. Using the tried and true configuration for the 350 is pretty huge for me in the EFP work I do.

Alister Chapman
October 25th, 2009, 01:20 PM
The PMW-350 is a good 1.5 to 2 stops more sensitive than the EX3. On top of that there is less noise (59db) so you will be able to use more gain before the pictures become unusable.
Contrast handling is certainly no worse than the EX1, EX3 or PDW-700. I don't think it is any better than the PDW-700 but what I would say is that when shooting aircraft against a bright sky it did a very good job and the highlights rolled off in a very pleasing manner. I used Hypergamma 4 for the shoot which provides improved highlight handling.

The PMW-350 has the same Hypergammas as the PDW-700 and F900R etc and these are very good for maximizing latitude. I didn't have time to do any in depth tests but estimate latitude at 10 to 11 stops using HG4 with white clip at 109.

I have not been able to test IR performance. Next time I get an EX1R or 350 I will look into this. Sony have a show in London on the 25/26th of November Sony - Power of Images (http://response.pro.sony.eu/?elqPURLPage=7) so I'll try one then if not before.

Max Allen
October 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM
As always Alister awesome job and thanks to you for doing that for the community. You are on the cutting edge!

Jay Lee
October 25th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks Alister! Looking forward to checking this camera out down the road.

Luc De Wandel
December 29th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Yes Craig, that will help. But I am much more interested in using the Nanoflash to record 1920X1080 for my XDCAM HD camera(F350) and then mixing that with the EX1 (as 1920X1080) in the timeline.

Now that will be progress.

Bob, you have me confused here: the PDW-F350 has 1440x1080 chips, so I wonder how it can ever put out a 1920x1080 resolution, even to a Nanoflash? What am I missing?

Matt Davis
December 29th, 2009, 05:41 AM
What am I missing?

Two different cameras: PDW-F350 is optical disk, PMW-350 is solid state SxS. Tip o' the hat to Sony's naming department - 'thanks guys'.

Alister Chapman
December 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I don't understand Sony sometimes. Two cameras launched at a similar price point to the same market with such similar names. PMW-350 and PDW-F350, it's hardly surprising there is so much confusion.

Tom Roper
December 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Sony is just being careful to use up all the old numbers, not be caught without enough new ones. :)

Matt Davis
December 29th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Well, even if they adopted a Dewey Decimal System, or a BMWesque sort of moniker, at least it could have been the 370 series, or the 330. I really can't work out why it isn't an EX-7.

Mike Marriage
December 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Does anyone know if the PMW 350 viewfinder underscans?

Paul Cronin
December 29th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Not sure Mike but I will know tomorrow when mine arrives. I am sure Alister knows and might even have it is his review.

Alister Chapman
December 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Yes and No, the 350 VF underscans in the same way that the EX3 VF underscans. So while it shows much more in the VF than you should see on a normal TV there are a few pixels at the edges that are not visible.

Dave McCallister
December 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Please tell me if the PMW350 stock lens has the jerky slow zoom issues common to the EX1 and EX3. Would I have to buy a proper lens to get smooth, feathered stops and starts? Many thanks for any reply.

Thierry Humeau
December 29th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Well, even if they adopted a Dewey Decimal System, or a BMWesque sort of moniker, at least it could have been the 370 series, or the 330. I really can't work out why it isn't an EX-7.

BMW actually did a similarely odd thing by naming their new 650GS bike the F650GS and that new bike actually has a 800 engine... In regard to the PMW350, yes. There is going to be a lots of confusion on the consumers and crew bookers side. PMW-EX5 or PDW-F400 would have been a much more logical choice.

Paul Cronin
December 29th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Dave I think the answer is yes you will have to also buy a nice 2/3" HD lens for the 350. There have not been too many who have tested the stock lens. I will be doing that tomorrow on my camera but I have received word that it has the same jerky slow zoom issues. I will confirm this tomorrow.

But it is to be expected with a $2000 HD lens. Nice glass be it wide or long with a Nano hooked up will make this camera shine.

Doug Jensen
December 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I really can't work out why it isn't an EX-7.

It's a shoulder mount, so therefore it needed three numerals.

I don't see why it wasn't called the PMW-400, but I think the Japanese have some kind of superstition about certain numbers.

Mike Marriage
December 30th, 2009, 04:30 AM
But it is to be expected with a $2000 HD lens.

What? I expect a professional lens to work! The jerky zoom is a major issue on the EX3 - smooth zooms are essential for almost all documentary work.

I can accept that a $2,000 lens may not look as good as a $20,000 lens but it is pretty basic to make it zoom smoothly. I've never seen the issue on any lens/camera besides the EX1/3 and really cheap consumer grade kit. It is totally unacceptable on a camera/lens at this level.

Paul Cronin
December 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Mike Sony has a options for you buy the camera with out a lens and buy a 2/3" lens of your choice. Also don't jump to conclusions until the new 350 lens is fully tested. I am only trying to give you information here.

Mike Marriage
December 30th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Mike Sony has a options for you buy the camera with out a lens and buy a 2/3" lens of your choice. Also don't jump to conclusions until the new 350 lens is fully tested. I am only trying to give you information here.

Sorry, probably my irritation bubbling over from finding this fault in the EX3. I really hope they have sorted it for the PMW350 as initial reports suggest the lens is optically surprisingly good it would be a real shame if it was let down but a jerky zoom.

Paul Cronin
December 30th, 2009, 07:29 AM
No worry Mike,

Currently I am charging the batteries for my PMW-350 since it arrived. I will let you know my thoughts on the stock lens soon.

Alister Chapman
December 30th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I didn't notice any zoom issues when I shot the airshow with it, nor when playing with it at the Gibson Hall show. I was not particularly looking for any slow zoom problems and didn't try as far as I can remember any long slow creeping zooms, but I certainly would have done a lot of slow speed zooms and zooms with gentle starts and stops.

Doug Jensen
December 30th, 2009, 09:17 AM
What? I expect a professional lens to work! The jerky zoom is a major issue on the EX3 - smooth zooms are essential for almost all documentary work.I can accept that a $2,000 lens may not look as good as a $20,000 lens but it is pretty basic to make it zoom smoothly. I've never seen the issue on any lens/camera besides the EX1/3 and really cheap consumer grade kit. It is totally unacceptable on a camera/lens at this level.

Consumer grade? Show me the consumer camera (or any prosumer camera) that has a lens that even comes close to the EX lenses.

Yes, in order to keep the EX cameras affordable, Sony has skimped on the build-quality and ergonomics of the lenses. There's no question about that, but something has to give. You can't sell a complete camera (with lens) for 1/2 the cost of what just the lens alone would cost from Fujinon or Canon.

I completely support what Sony has done to keep the price down. I can learn to live with, or work around, ergonomic problems. But what are you going to do if the picture sucks? I could not forgive Sony if they skimped on the optics. I think it is amazing they got "cheap" lens to look almost as good as $20,000 lens.

However, with all that said, maybe I've just been lucky, but I haven't noticed anything about the zoom controls on my EX1, EX3, or EX1R that are worth complaining about. I have no problems doing nice slow zooms with smooth ramping.

Perhaps you got a lemon?

Paul Cronin
December 30th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Well said Doug,

I have had a few jumps when trying to do slow speed zooms but I bet it is user error. With my Libec ZC-9EX remote I tend to have soother zooms. Must be my touch on the camera zoom rocker and how I had the preset speeds. But 98% of time I have had very nice smooth zooms.

Mike Marriage
December 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Doug, I don't own an EX3 or EX1 but have used a fair few of both cameras through rental and clients supplying their own kit. I have seen the issue in several cameras. AFAIK this is a known issue to Sony.

For documentaries where the action isn't repeatable, you are left a horrible decision: do I risk a jerky zoom or do I stick with incorrect framing. This is not a situation a pro wants to be in as the kit will make you look bad. Bad optics look like bad optics, jerky zooms or poor framing look like a bad operator.

The fact that the optics are good (value) makes it all the more frustrating that they skimped on the quality of the zoom servo. There are a lot of very cheap cameras that have perfectly smooth zooms so it doesn't appear to be a major cost to overcome.

I hope it makes sense what I'm getting at: don't skimp on the lens servo control as it should be a minor cost but is of critical importance to the operation of the camera. Hopefully the PMW 350 will never have this issue, we will find out soon enough.

Craig Seeman
December 30th, 2009, 10:51 AM
...I haven't noticed anything about the zoom controls on my EX1, EX3, or EX1R that are worth complaining about. I have no problems doing nice slow zooms with smooth ramping.
Perhaps you got a lemon?

Hi Doug,
I had the same issue when I first got my EX1. Sony replaced the entire camera. That is no longer their policy since, apparently, many people reported the issue.

You can test for this if you're so willing Doug. Enable the top handle zoom button (really a button not a rocker). Set your slow zoom speed to 2 in the menu. Try to execute the zoom using that top handle button and go from 0 to 99. You may notice the zoom stutters.

My first EX1 did that with any speed below 10 but got really bad below 8, making creeps zooms impossible. My replacement camera works smoothly down to 2 but will begin to show it at 1. I've heard second hand that the new EX1R actually throws some kind of warning if you try to set the zoom speed below 8.

Many people are frustrated by this issue especially since not all EX1 and EX3 exhibit it. The problem is if you're stuck with one that stutters, Sony is now refusing to replace them.

Doug do test it on any EX1 or EX3 you may have using a speed set to 2. Maybe you got lucky with your cameras. Understand the frustration though that by luck of the draw, some people can't execute creep zooms and Sony refuses to service those cameras.

Basically the spec to get a smooth slow speed is so "tight" that Fuji can't consistently meet it from lens to lens. I imagine the manufacturing tolerances to hit that consistently are tighter than the current assembly and they can't/don't find it worthwhile to do any retooling.

Please do check your cameras though.

Craig Seeman
December 30th, 2009, 11:08 AM
. . . I have seen the issue in several cameras. AFAIK this is a known issue to Sony.

For documentaries where the action isn't repeatable, you are left a horrible decision: do I risk a jerky zoom . . .

Mike, I'm entirely sympathetic. I was shooting an interview with a well known former US Congress person. They were on an incredibly tight schedule. They were talking about their dad (also a former elected official) and had such passion I started to creep zoom in and part way in it began to stutter. This was an unrepeatable emotional moment!

The next day, I called Sony. I was LIVID! I sent them the camera. I walked them through the test on the phone and they verified the issue. They attempted to replace the lens and found it was no better. They decided to send me a new camera after getting permission (took 3 weeks). The new camera was smooth down to 2 (I was at 6 when the issue happened). This was around January 2008. I had been using the camera since December 2007 and while I had done slow zooms hadn't attempted anything below 10 and didn't see a reason to test a lower number specifically.

If Sony couldn't get this to work on any of the EX1 or EX3 I'd understand but the fact that some cameras are fine (as my replacement is and as Doug seems to say his are) and others aren't and that Sony won't fix or replace those and that Fuji won't improve their tolerances so people can get CONSISTENT results from camera to camera is not good.

Alas they've apparently found that limiting slow zoom speed to 8 is the answer in the EX1R (EX1R users please check this) . . . so if you have an EX1 or EX3 than can go to 2 consider yourself "blessed."

Olof Ekbergh
December 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I had issues with my EX3 lens, zoom would not work slow, it was very jerky. I got a replacement lens from Sony, it took about 10 days. My dealer lent me a spare lens while mine was at the Sony service center.

When I got the new lens I had to set the Back Focus and it worked perfectly. I actually did it outdoors with a person holding BF chart, I was amazed that it worked.

I have not had any issues since. This was back in the Fall of 2008. And the EX3 zoom is still very smooth today.

I now have a new EX1R and it zooms fine even though Sony now don't display zoom numbers below 8.

I think these cameras are outstanding in picture/lens quality for a very low price.

Combined with a NanoFlash they rival 100K cams (at least they are very close). And the fact that you can rent any lens you want and put it on the EX3 or the new 350 is amazing.

Olof Ekbergh

Vincent Oliver
December 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Maybe I have a "Monday morning" kit, there is no problem with zooming at any speed. I also understood that zooming on a subject is a sign of amatuer camerawork, maybe I didn't hear this correctly.

Correct me if I am wrong

Olof Ekbergh
December 30th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Vincent,

I agree if most of your shots are pans, zooms and jerky handheld, your work will look amateur.

However you can do tasteful slow frame changes using zooms and pans, just do it when it is called for. It can be a very useful storytelling tool.

I would love to have jib on a dolly set up for every shot, but that is not practical.

Slow zooms can be tastefully done and if your camera can't do it I would raise a stink with your dealer and Sony.

90% of my shots are static, probably 1% or less are zooms, the rest are dolly, pans, jib, stedicam or even hand held (pretty much in that order). My favorite tool is a helicopter, but that is big money.

Paul Cronin
December 30th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Agree Olof my favorite tool is the helicopter and even there i use zoom. Not much but enough to help make the shot dramatic.

Buck Forester
December 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I have an EX1 and I've never had any slow zoom problems at all. Smooth as silk. I'm not sure how 'slow' you guys are creeping the zoom, but my slow zooms are as slow as I'd ever want to do. I use slow zooms to emphasize facial expressions/emotions, or make planned changes in composition and I've never had any issues with jerkiness.

I'm really interested in the new PMW 350 for those 2/3" chips. I keep waiting for Scarlet before I make any decisions, but in the meantime lots of really cool cameras keep coming to market. I might just get the Sony HXR-MC1 POV camera as my next camera purchase in 2010.

Piotr Wozniacki
December 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Guys,

I hope you're talking about the handle "rocker" being hesitant at speeds <10, not the main hand grip rocker?

As to the latter, operating it carefully I can get perfect creeping zoom lasting some 90 secs from end to end (regardless of the menu zoom speed setting).

As to the former - well, at the setting of 1, it tends to start and stop but only at the wide position; further towards tele and I can get even slower zooms than with the grip rocker (a single digit increment per 2 seconds).

With the menu zoom speed settings at 2 and above, it's as smooth as silk.

Luc De Wandel
December 30th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Two different cameras: PDW-F350 is optical disk, PMW-350 is solid state SxS. Tip o' the hat to Sony's naming department - 'thanks guys'.

I know, but Bob wrote :"... I am much more interested in using the Nanoflash to record 1920X1080 for my XDCAM HD camera(F350)...", so he clearly meant the PDW-F350 XDCAM HD. I have one of these, so I'm interested how I can get 1920x1080 out to a Nanoflash, coming from 1440x1080 chips.

Doug Jensen
December 30th, 2009, 01:22 PM
You can test for this if you're so willing Doug. Enable the top handle zoom button (really a button not a rocker). Set your slow zoom speed to 2 in the menu. Try to execute the zoom using that top handle button and go from 0 to 99. You may notice the zoom stutters.

I thought we were talking about the zoom on the grip? If I misread the thread, sorry about that. I have no idea how the zoom control works on the hande because I would never use it. It doesn' have a variable speed, pressure sensitive control, so you'll never be able to do a decent zoom with smooth ramping no matter what your settings are. The control on the grip is the only one to use.

Doug Jensen
December 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I hope it makes sense what I'm getting at: don't skimp on the lens servo control as it should be a minor cost but is of critical importance to the operation of the camera. Hopefully the PMW 350 will never have this issue, we will find out soon enough.

Mike, I understand what you are saying and I'm not trying to argue, but you are expecting too much from a camera at this price point. If Sony built your dream camera, not too many custoemrs would want to spend the extra $ for it.

The nice thing about the EX3 is that you can slap another lens on it if you don't like the one it came with. I recently sold my EX3, but I always used a $12K Fujinon on it.

Also, I don't think the EX lenses are worse than other lenses. I still own a Z1U and I used to own a Z7U, and I know the EX lenses are way superior to the lenses on those cameras in every single way you want to compare them.