View Full Version : New PMW-350, EX1R camcorders and SxS media announced

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Wolfgang Winne
October 20th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Sony : XDCAM EX, PMW-350, PMW-EX1R Reviewed : Other (http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowContent.action?site=biz_en_EU&contentId=1237476716938&parentFlexibleHub=1166605171707)

New EX1R + PMW350

Sean Seah
October 20th, 2009, 01:54 AM
its nice to see the HD-SDI there and the improvement in the ergonomics.

Greg Boston
October 20th, 2009, 01:57 AM
So it's now official on Sony's site. The PMW-350 is a 2/3 inch shoulder mount camera recording to SxS cards. The supplied viewfinder is kind of a new wrinkle on the EX3 in that it lifts up, but from a line parallel to the camera body, leaving the operator with a side-view LCD screen. A smaller LCD (not color or capable of showing video) appears towards the back, giving audio and other status information.

The back of the camera looks pretty much like the back of the other 3XX series XDCAM cameras as far as i/o goes. However, this camera has the slot receiver mount built in and supports the new dual-channel digital slot receiver from Sony.

The specially designed Fujinon lens has the same auto-manual sliding focus ring as the EX series cameras. But the lens mount is not an EX style mount, it's standard Bayonet using the standard lens cable so any 2/3 glass will work on it without requiring an adapter. There's no optical stabilization with the new Fujinon lens either.

Has the new backlit EXMOR CMOS sensors for a sensitivity of F11 @ 60i and F12 @ 50i. The MSRP with lens is around $20K so expect slightly lower street prices.

That's the meat of it.

-gb-

Joe Lawry
October 20th, 2009, 02:21 AM
aghh the EX1R looks really nice.. i said i wasnt going to upgrade.. but i can see myself liking those benefits.

the 350 is pretty damn cool too.

Alister Chapman
October 20th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Reviews of actual units are here:

YouTube - Sony PMW-EX1R and PMW-350 review with sample footage. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrsJp8J3jUg&fmt=18)

Ron Wilber
October 20th, 2009, 02:29 AM
does the ex1r have the new backlit chip as well?

Greg Boston
October 20th, 2009, 02:31 AM
No Ron, the the new EX1r retains the same imaging block as the original. Nothing has changed in terms of picture quality.

-gb-

Vincent Oliver
October 20th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Nice and comprehensive review Alister. Has the base plate been improved on the EX1R?

Piotr Wozniacki
October 20th, 2009, 02:36 AM
No Ron, the the new EX1r retains the same imaging block as the original. Nothing has changed in terms of picture quality.

-gb-

That's a pity - Alister mentions stronger IR (or far red) filtration, which might translate to overall lower sensitivity in low light. The backlit imagers could offset this...

Steve Phillipps
October 20th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Just a small point, from a wildlife shooter's point of view, the PMW 350 is probably of little interest. Presumably image quality is not that much better than the EX3, and you've got a bigger, heavier camera to lug around and you lose the extra magnification because it has a bigger chip, plus you still have the CMOS issues. I'd have thought that it would be no contest, in favour of the EX3.
But, for a lot of other people I think it ticks all the boxes that they've been asking for, nice form factor, 2/3" chips, even an AF lens, could be a big seller I think. I suppose the only omission from sensible wishlists would be 50 mb/s 422 codec.
Steve

Alister Chapman
October 20th, 2009, 03:20 AM
EX1R picture quality and sensitivity is not changed. Pmw350 picture quality is noticably better than EX3. Pretty much same quality as pdw700

Steve Phillipps
October 20th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I thought you'd always said that the EX3 and PDW700 picture quality were virtually indistinguishable?
Great review by the way, all the info anyone could need.
Steve

Alister Chapman
October 20th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Ex1r has bigger base plate.

David Knaggs
October 20th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Excellent review, Alister. Thanks.

Alister Chapman
October 20th, 2009, 04:27 AM
The EX1 and EX3 are noisier than the pdw700. Resolution is very close as is highlight handling. Greens on the EX1/3 seem to look mushy, not quite as clean as the 700. The difference is very small. The PMW 350 is stunning, very low noise and clean, clear greens etc. I only had a weekend to use it, I want to look at it some more but in some respects it looked better than the 700. Not sure whether this was due to setups or the lens and CA correction. Need to do more tests to be sure.

Simon Wyndham
October 20th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Either way, the new 350 looks like a superb camera. My business partner has banned me from upgrading cameras for another 3 months (I think she's trying to kill me through anticipation). But I think looking at it an EX1R paired with the PMW-350 (this is going to confuse a lot of people with all these 350's in existence!) will be a great combo for most shooting.

It'll be easier ergonomically to put the Nano Flash onto the 350, and by doing so the 700 really does lose a lot of advantages. If the kit lens is anything like as good as the EX series one it will also solve a lot of lens expense problems, and from the sounds of it might even be a lot better than most of the low cost 2/3" HD ENG style glass from Canon etc.

Alister, how did the controls feel on the kit lens?

Simon Denny
October 20th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Does this camera do SD out of the box? or is this an add on?
I have to say that I have been waiting for this camera and now it's here. This is exactly what I'm looking for in a camera
Cheers

Alister Chapman
October 20th, 2009, 05:34 AM
SD is an option that will be available from launch. The 350 package is very atractive. The lens felt like any other ENG lens in use even has a standard Fujinon 8 pin remote socket as on thier regular ENG lenses. It's the lens, viewfinder combined with low power and weight that makes the 350 package so atractive.

Simon Denny
October 20th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Does this 350 camera take the V lock battery.
What about the base plate. I'm heavily invested in the Sony F350 at this time but if things can be used on this new 350 I might be selling.

Thanks

Paul Cronin
October 20th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Alister is it correct what Greg stated the PMW-350 lens does not have IS?

Thank you for a very nice introduction to the new cameras.

Steve Nelson
October 20th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Excellent review Alister, much appreciated!

Alister Chapman
October 20th, 2009, 07:20 AM
No IS on the 350 lens. It uses standard v-lock batts and standard Sony quick release tripod plate.

Paul Cronin
October 20th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Excellent thanks Alister. Now to preorder

Paul Kousoulides
October 20th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the excellent review Alister. You mentioned in it that there would be a firmware update for existing EX1/3 users to enable the use of Sony's own card adapter.

Will the update also enable other EX1R features like cache record, image flip, SD recording, smooth handle zoom etc, for existing users?

Also what has happened to the mini USB port?

Andy Schocken
October 20th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Maybe I missed this somewhere- is there any pricing information on the new SxS cards?

Tim Polster
October 20th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks for your review Alister.

Did you get a chance to see if the PMW-350 showed any infrared contamination like the EX-1 does?

Thanks

Craig Seeman
October 20th, 2009, 09:19 AM
The one thing I'm hopping for but unmentioned is the possibility of a firmware upgrade for the EX1. For me it's mainly the cache record. The ability to use less expensive SxS is something I assume anyone can take advantage of. The things I read imply one needs a firmware upgrade to take advantage of the Sony memory sticks. BTW the one problem I have with that is it's still easier to hand a client an SDHC card than a Sony memory stick as far as ease of finding a card reader.

One thing to be mindful of in the broader sense is that it's likely we'll be seeing changes like this every couple of years so one needs to think about that.

Craig Seeman
October 20th, 2009, 09:21 AM
In a review I read it said Sony added a filter for this issue in the EX-1R so one might assume it's there in the 350 as well.

Thanks for your review Alister.

Did you get a chance to see if the PMW-350 showed any infrared contamination like the EX-1 does?

Thanks

Dan Brockett
October 20th, 2009, 09:32 AM
This new camera looks to be an excellent value although I will be interested to see the acceptance factor for Discovery Networks. It is 2/3", but it is also long GOP at only 35mbps too. Not sure where BBC, PBS and Discovery stand with long GOP and 35mbps? Does anyone know?

Also, the promotion that Panasonic is running for the AJ-HPX2700 is at the same list price although this new Sony includes the lens so it is really much cheaper. I know that the 2700 is probably a better camera, but I probably would need to figure on another $8k for an even halfway decent used or cheap HD lens.

If it streets at around $17 to $18k, Sony will sell a ton of these, looks to be a great deal.

Dan

Thomas Gregory
October 20th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Alister, does this lense on the 350 have a macro option? if not, what is the minimum focal distance? And, thanks for bringing all this info to us. Does Sony have a release date? My penny saving has not been in vain, I'm finally ready to jump away from my dsr370's.

Tim Polster
October 20th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Also, the promotion that Panasonic is running for the AJ-HPX2700 is at the same list price although this new Sony includes the lens so it is really much cheaper. I know that the 2700 is probably a better camera, but I probably would need to figure on another $8k for an even halfway decent used or cheap HD lens.

If it streets at around $17 to $18k, Sony will sell a ton of these, looks to be a great deal.

Dan

Wow this space is really hotting up!

The Sony 350 price without a lens will be what I am watching.

Even though the Varicam is a great deal @ $20,000 the 350 will be less money and has a color viewfinder.

The only decision will be CMOS vs CCD. It is nice to have a CCD camera though.

What does this do to the HPX-2000? kind of in no-man's land.

Gabor Heeres
October 20th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Both are great new Cameras. The only thing what the PMW-F350 is missing in my opinion is the abillity to record in MPEG IMX, as the F530, F700 and F800 do. But I think it is because there shoul remain a difference. Will the PDW-F355 now going to be discontinued? I don't see many people investing in disc-based workflow only.

Gary Leach
October 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hi, I'd been hearing rumors about this new 2/3" EX codec camera coming, but hadn't seen anything. Its posted now.. here's the link:

Sony : PMW-350K (PMW350K) : Product Overview : United Kingdom (http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowProduct.action?product=PMW-350K&site=biz_en_GB&pageType=Overview&imageType=Main&category=XDCAMCamcorders)

Pretty exciting, now if we can just find out how much $?

Regards, Gary

Bruce Schultz
October 20th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I don't know why they decided to call it an "R" version when the single most important improvement they could have made was to replace the Exmor chips with the new Exmor R backlit CMOS chips for improved low-light sensitivity.

I'll not be trading out my older EX1 for this new unit as the improvements, as important and useful as they are are not enough to consign the original, trusty EX1 to the dustbin of camera history - yet.

Tom Roper
October 20th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I am so IN for the PMW350k! I'm putting in my preorder asap.

I cannot stand, it looks so great.

Alister Chapman
October 20th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Discovery already accept the EX1 at 35mbps so I see no reason why they would not accept the pmw-350.
I'm not sure if it is even possible to add cache record to the original EX1 so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it as a firmware update.

Mitchell Skurnik
October 20th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Sony Product Detail Page - PMWEX1R (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/cat-broadcastcameras/product-PMWEX1R/)
I love it when people hide things on websites :)
The XDCAM EX PMW-EX1R is the direct successor to Sony’s first entry into memory recording – the PMW-EX1. The PMW-EX1R features a range of ergonomic enhancements of the EX1, including an improved hand grip, a one-push S & Q switch and a one-push Auto Iris button. Other enhancements include SD recording in DVCAM, a Cache Recording Function, an Image Inversion Function and an IR remote control receptor on the rear of the camcorder’s handle allowing remote control from both the front and the rear of the camcorder. The PMW-EX1R utilizes three 1/2-inch type Exmor™ CMOS sensors, each with an effective pixel count of 1920 (H) x 1080 (V). This technology delivers superior picture performance with full-HD resolution and allows the camcorder to provide an excellent sensitivity of F10 and a remarkable signal-to-noise ratio of 54dB. The PMW-EX1R produces truly exceptional images in 1080p, 720p and 1080i HD. The PMW-EX1R is equipped with a high-quality, high-definition Fujinon 14x zoom lens specifically designed to offer optimum picture performance and unprecedented functionality. The full Sony XDCAM EX line-up provides stunning HD picture quality and efficient nonlinear operation, expanding the creative possibilities in every type of HD video production.

Mitchell Skurnik
October 20th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Found 2 More :)
Sony Product Detail Page - PMW350L (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/cat-broadcastcameras/product-PMW350L/)
Sony Product Detail Page - PMW350K (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/cat-broadcastcameras/product-PMW350K/)

Gary Leach
October 20th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Alister, thanks for the nice review on Youtube. I currently have an EX3 in house for evaluation against the other solid state cams out there.

Is there any idea what the new SxS cards will cost?

How about an actual release date for the 350?

By the way, was it awkward using the LCD viewing to the side like that? I've liked some of the other models (JVC HM700 for ex.) that had a nice big LCD that flipped around from front to back and such.

I want to buy an HD cam soon, and have been waiting for just such a cam to come along from SONY.

Darren Ruddock
October 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Ahhh, and to think all those hours of burning discs trying to find the best method of down-converting EX1 footage to SD! Then they give you a new camera with SD recording grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Just hope original EX1 owners don't get forgotten. We will get any updates??

Bruce Schultz
October 20th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Any specifics for the newer SxS cards yet? Would love to see some kind of specs comparison between the old and the new.

Tom Roper
October 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Alister, thanks for the nice review on Youtube.

Me too, thanks :)

David Heath
October 20th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Not sure where BBC, PBS and Discovery stand with long GOP and 35mbps? Does anyone know?
In a speech a while ago, the head of BBC HD specifically mentioned the EX1 as desirable when more run of the mill programming starts to go HD, and budgets simply won't run to the most expensive cameras. At the moment, for the BBC, HD=top quality and by and large that channel only screens high budget programming such as drama and studio/OB material which is recorded straight to HDCAM-SR. (Dramas more likely to be something like an Arri D20.)

There's no question that to currently tick all the desirable boxes a camera in this range needs to have 1920x1080 chips of 1/2" or above and be 50Mbs MPEG2. (Or AVC-Intra 100.) Unfortunately, there's only really the HPX3000 series from Panasonic and the Sony PDW700/800 which fully do that.

As others have already said, it's perfectly easy to put such as a nanoFlash on this new camera, record XDCAM 422, and tick all the boxes that way. You can't hang 1/2" chips on an HPX300.

My suspicion is that it's not an isolated camera, but more likely the start of a range, and I fully expect to see a more expensive version in due course with further goodies, including XDCAM422. But for the lower end of the HD broadcast market (news, sport etc) the camera as it stands may be just what's needed. The more I look at the spec, the more impressive it gets.

Emmanuel Plakiotis
October 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
dear Alister
You said that the 350 is about 1 stop more sensitive than the 700. Does that mean it can be rated over 1000ASA?

Mitchell Skurnik
October 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Nice that they are offering new memory cards too.

Tim Polster
October 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I noticed the audio is listed as 16bit for the PMW-350.

I wonder if using a Nanoflash, if the audio signal would be uncompressed out of the HDSDI to get true 24bit recording?

Thanks

Jason Bodnar
October 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM
EX1R looks cool nice ergo changes and some cool new features.... I can only hope Sony does not leave its current base of EX1 custoemrs in the cold.... A firmware update to the EX1 could could easily add record cache (minus the little light) to the menu along with the ability to assign single button S&Q to one of the preset buttons...(minus dedicated S&Q button and light) controlled in the menu... I think it would be wrong of Sony not to add these two features by way of Firmware to the the current EX1. Last and obviously allow the Firmware updates by the end user which again could be implemented the same way as the new EX1R if they write a new Firmware version for the EX1. One can only hope.... If not this EX1R realease should upset more EX1 owners... The above statements are not out of the question nor would they be of any real expense to Sony...It would just make for more lifetime customer loyalty.

BTW, I do understand new cameras with new features will come out... and eventually yes I will upgrade but these are very easy requests to make happen for a very large base of current customers.

Ronan Fournier
October 20th, 2009, 12:28 PM
The PMW-350 was shown in Paris this morning, here are some pictures:
http://www.cameravideo.net/forum/news-de-video/14003-nouveau-xdcam-ex-camescope-depaule-pmw-350-a.html#post81290

Ilya Spektor
October 20th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Jason,

Completely agreed!.. (with addition of SD recording via firmware...)

Steve Gibbons
October 20th, 2009, 12:39 PM
New XDCAM-EX family product brochure with EX1R and 350:

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/files/new_xdcamex_fam.pdf