View Full Version : Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2006

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Jean-Francois Robichaud
July 3rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
The way PPRO applies the screen key is kinda bad. In the effects window, make sure the screen key appears AFTER any other effects. But some effects just don't play nice with the screen key. Opacity changes and video transitions also cancel the effects of the screen key. You might want to use a nested composition to add effects to your top layer.

Jon Pavli
July 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I am trying to have a piece of video playing over another piece of video (picture inside of another picture). The full size video is fine; it the smaller picture with the problems. My problem is that I have black lines on both sides of the small picture. Anyone know what is going on and how to fix this problem?

I am using Priemere Pro (1.0) and have captured the video from a Canon XL1 camera (minDV tape).

Cheers!

Barry Oppenheim
July 6th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Is the small video 4:3 and the project 16:9? If so you could right click on the small video timeline and change the aspect ratio by clicking on Interpret Footage.

You could also the crop video effect on the small video timeline to crop out the black space.

Barry

Ed Smith
July 6th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Hi Jon,

Its probably the blanking you are seeing.

Video cameras etc don't record all pixels In the video frame. This is normally not noticed when viewed on a Tv monitor - being it is outside the safe margin area. However when the video 'frame' is made smaller you will notice the blanking.

As mentioned by Barry, simply find the crop tool in the video effects bin and apply to the video.

Thanks,

Jon Pavli
July 6th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks for info and suggestions.

I tried the 'Crop' settings and it took care of the problem.
You guys are great!

Cheers, Jon

Adam Grunseth
July 6th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I have been working on a length project and it was near completion. However, just recently I moved to a new city and upon hooking up my editing system I realized one of my hard drives had died. Luckily this hard drive did not have any of my original media on it. However, it did have all of my rendered media. Once I fixed my system recovering the video wasn't really a problem, all I had to do was re-render it. However, I did the final audio mix in Audition, and those wave files produced by audition are gone. So now I have a projected with all the video there, but no audio.

Is there anyway I can have adobe just restore the orignal raw audio associated with the video clip? For example can I take Clip1 on the video track and have adobe automatically put the audio from clip one down on the audio track? The only other way I can see to fix it is to go through my timeline clip by clip, record the in and out timecodes on the video, open up the raw clip, set the same in and out, then drop just the audio down on the timeline. Doing this for every single edit in my project though could get very tedious.

Flemming Lovenhardt
July 7th, 2006, 03:08 AM
I have heard that there are problems with Premiere Pro 2.0 combined with Cineform Aspect HD and MPEG export/import – Can any confirm this?

I was told that you should have install Premiere Pro 1.5 at the same time to make it work.
Kind regards
Flemming Loevenhardt

Graham Hickling
July 7th, 2006, 09:35 AM
The problem is a licencing issue, rather than a software bug.

http://supportcenteronline.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=614

Pete Bauer
July 7th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Yup, and while I can't be 100% sure it is due to AspectHD, I have also found that in a system with PPro 2.0 but not 1.5, Adobe Media Encoder cannot export QT7 files either. Worse, even if you use the new Adobe presets and capture/edit in MPG without making use of Cineform technology, I still am unable to export to DVD, other standard MPEG, or QT (v7.1 free version installed). I haven't done RealPlayer exports, so can't speak to that.

Many months ago, Cineform posted that they expected to have the PPro 2.0 export issue resolved by the time AspectHD 4.0 came out. Obviously, that didn't happen...David T. and David N., any updated ETA on this problem?

Ruben Mendez
July 7th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I will have someone sweeten and master my sound (Acid , Soundforge) for me on a short, which I edited on 1.5. I dont know much about cleaning and know nothing about mastering sound, so my question is. How can I save the audio so that they are seperate tracks that are synced? I exported 6min of footage (with 5 audio tracks) and burned them as a audio cd. When my friend brought it into soundforge it was as one track. I am trying to avoid having to give him the tracks individualy and then having to resync them in premiere after he is done. Is this possible, to give him the entire 43 min (with up to 5 audio tracks synced up), so I can just drop it back on the time line when it is done?

Bart Walczak
July 7th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I'm affraid there is no simple way to do it, but there is a keyboard shortcut that might help you - when you have a video track selected and your timeline window is active, press T to open in the source monitor the clip which is under you cursor. It will open at the exact place that your cursor is positioned at, so it might help you establish the inpoint and outpoint.

Plus you can adjust the length of audio manually on the timeline using the edit tool, so you don't need to be very careful about the outpoints, just turn your snapping on (S key).

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Bart Walczak

Ron Evans
July 7th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Do you have the Audition project? What were the source files for Audition and are they still around? let Audition re-render the output just like Premiere did?
Ron Evans

Matt Vanecek
July 10th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I have a project, and recently had to redo some of my hard drives. This resulted in the project being on a different drive letter. The project has some mono audio generated via "Breakout to Mono", so there aren't any actual files backing those up, except the original stereo. Everything else has relinked fine, but the mono-clips don't. Is there a way to get "Breakout to Mono" clips to relink? There are some cuts that will be quite a pain to recreate if I cannot relink...

Thanks,
Matt

Bill Hamell
July 11th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I am trying to sync up audio and video clips in PP 1.5.
With the mouse it is hit and miss if I get it correct.
Is there a way to select a clip (Audio or Video) and bump it ahead or back one frame at a time?

Thank you,
Bill

Bill Hamell
July 11th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Found it, I could not find it in the help file so I started playing with the keys.
Alt-Left or Right arrow bumps the clip one frame in either direction.

Bill

Kevin Janisch
July 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Try breaking out just one of the original stereo audio clips as a test and see if it automatically relinks. If not, then it's putting the mono clips in a different location on your drive. Try to manually link the clip on startup (or right clicking the unlinked mono file) when the callout appears, find whereever PrPro put the mono clips.

Vedran Rupic
July 13th, 2006, 05:21 PM
I have tried to set the comp but I can't get it to be 16:9
I have tried all the diffrent aspect ratios there is to choose from for pal and widescreen (1.42, widescreen, squarepix)
and the thing is, not even the window looks 16:9, still looks 4:3,
in premiere, the footage looked 16:9 as i used a widescreen project.
when i try to set a manual comp, in order for it to be 16:9 i set it to 1024x576 and then my footage snaps in correctly...I dont even have that resolution...
what is wrong, why cannot i get a widescreen with SD resolution comp...

It is very frustrating and i have tried everyting that I've come across in old threads...any advice is welcome.

David Walding
July 13th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Can it be done thru firewire (one capture)?

Joel Davis
July 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I have Premiere pro but this is how I think you could do it,

Have your workbar over the entire 43 minutes then export audio for each of the five tracks seperately, you should be able to do this by muting out four of the tracks (click icon in timeline) and exporting one at a time as a wave file (file/export/wavefile?), hopefully premiere will just export the audio track which isn't muted.

As long as your friend doesn't change each wave files length you should be able to import them all back into premiere when he's finished.

sorry I don't know all the technical names for premiere.

Joel.

Henry Cho
July 13th, 2006, 08:14 PM
set up your comp as follows:

width x height: 720 x 480
pixel aspect ration: d1/dv ntsc widescreen (1.2)
frame rate: 23.976 (for 24p)

or simply drag your footage from the project bin to the "create a new composition" icon on the very bottom of the project bin. this will create a new composition with settings that match the footage.

in the preview window, make sure the "toggle pixel aspect ratio correction" is pressed.

Vedran Rupic
July 14th, 2006, 04:30 AM
allright...it was actually PAL, I was a little bit unclear about that, but when I toggled the switch it all worked out!

I extremly thankful!!

David J. Payne
July 14th, 2006, 03:36 PM
whenever I apply a video effect in premiere pro using a magic bullet plug in it reduces my screen size and i can only see the center 20% or so of the picture. I cant see how to adjust this in the normal effect settings place, does anyone have the answer?
also how do I go about converting to 24fps using magic bullet, ive heard its possible?
many thanks

Wes Coughlin
July 14th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I was just messing around with the new clip notes feature in pp2, and found it pretty cool--However i could not seem to be able to import the text pdf file exported by the video embeded pdf file correctly into my timeline. I keep getting a message that said this clip note was not made for this timeline; continue or cancle (although i was on the exact same time line i exported the orginal clip note from). I would press continue in hoping that it would still work, but nothing happens. Any ideas? thanks.

Roger Averdahl
July 15th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Hi Wes!

I have tried to recreate you problem and the warning message only appear if i import the .xfdf to another Timeline than the one that created the Clip Notes or if i import the .xfdf into another Project that created the Clip Notes.

- Do you have more than one Timeline in your Project?
- Are you importing the .xfdf to the very same project that created the Clip Notes?

When you say nothing happens:
- Did you write any comment in the comment field in the Clip Note and exported them as a .xfdf-file?
- If you import a .xfdf that has comments added in it and click OK and then press Home on your keyboard and the press Ctrl+Right Arrow, do you find any Chapter Markers? When pressing Ctrl+Right Arrow the CTI should go to the next Chapter Marker on the Timeline.

If you find any Chapter Markers, press Shift+Asterisk key or double click on the Chapter Marker to see any comments. Press the Next-button to se the next Chapter Marker, etc.

All comments added into a Clip Notes that is exported as a .xfdf and then imported into PPro (Sequence > Imoprt Clip Notes Comments...) will show up as ordinary Chapter Markers in the Timeline.

/Roger

Matthew Wilson
July 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Unfortunately - NO. Best way, spend $29 and download Scenalyzer. Works great for all capturing and will capture 4 tracks of 32k audio for you. I recently did a project this way. Watch out though, Premiere Pro 2.0 still handles 32k audio poorly in that it will conform the audio which can take up lots of time and space. I tried using the 32k in a 48k project and PP couldn't convert the 32k to 48k without lots of artifacts. Sounded really bad. Worked okay the other way - 48k in a 32k project - but then it conforms all the 48k audio. Anyway, try Scenalyzer - great product!

Wes Coughlin
July 16th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks for your help Roger Averdahl. I found out if your using an outdated acrobat version it does not work correctly. So i downloaded a new version and everthing went fine. thanks.

Alexander Cooney
July 16th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I also have this problem, although I'm using an fx1.

Pete Bauer
July 16th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Hi Kevin and welcome to DVi.

I can't help too much, but have played around with one project in native 30F. Perhaps someone with specific technical knowledge can confirm this, but I am guessing that PPro's F-mode support is designed to read the proprietary Canon format and write it to disk with the mpeg file extension without transcoding, rather than doing a transcode to a standard mpeg format. No tape decks can handle so it doesn't surprise me that other software doesn't.

Adobe does specifically say that mpeg in general is not suitable for AE because of the overhead of GOP decoding. I tried doing dynamic link with the 30F PPro sequence and it did import to AE as a comp, but pretty much stalled out, just as Adobe said.

So unless someone has some better ideas, I believe that as long as you have a fast computer and you're staying within PPro until render to the final delivery format, native F mode will be fine. If you need to use the source files outside of PPro, including AE, then transcoding to another format seems to be necessary. An intermediate codec is one option, or right at the beginning you could render a new source file in Mov or AVI, whichever you are more comfortable working with.

It is all a bit of a bother, to be sure. To me it kind of feels like the early days of miniDV, where everything was glitchy and on the edge of our computers' capabilities. Now miniDV is a walk in the park, but even more so than when I moved up from Hi8 to miniDV, despite the hassles, there's no going back! Probably another year or two of pain for early adopters, and then HDV will be easy. Of course, then we'll all probably be trying to edit 4K...

Chris Barcellos
July 16th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I also have this problem, although I'm using an fx1.

I have both Vegas and Premiere Pro 2.0 and the FX1. I just test captured FX1 footage with PPro 2.0 native capture, and then brought that into Vegas. No problem.

A couple of weeks back I posted that I was having a problem viewing some of my native hdv with MS Media Player. It was showing a strong green cast. Had that continue a couple of weeks, then, it was gone. I think that the constant upgrading in the XP system might have created a problem with the codec, that was later corrected by Microsoft in a subsequent date.

Are you updating your systems regularly ?

Mark Williams
July 17th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Does any one have any experience using the Dobly v-plug AC-3 Encoder with Premiere 6.5? If so, is it working well for you and do you have any tips its use.

Thanks,

Hugh DiMauro
July 18th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Richie:

Pete offered a great idea. If you don't have the Audition software, just try the auto normalizing feature. It might help just a tad.

Jeff Cottrone
July 18th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I have a bunch of short shots that I'm editing into a montage and the camera work isn't all that steady. So I used SteadyMove to stabilize them, which works wonders. However, when I apply a cross dissolve between two shots that were SteadyMove-d, weird things happen, the image jumbles around during the dissolve worse than before it was stabilized. It looks horrible.

So I tried to export the sequence, then re-import it so I could cut the shots apart and apply the cross dissolve, but when I do that Premiere won't render the cross dissolve. It just sits in the timeline with the red unrendered bar over it and won't implement the dissolve.

Any ideas how I can add dissolves to this thing? It would vastly improve it.

Jeff Cottrone
July 18th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I think I figured it out. I've been using the default center at cut for my dissolves and it is revealing half a second of shaky footage before my cut. What I need to do is use start at cut dissolves. Oops.

Matt Vanecek
July 20th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I'm getting a weird result in the PPro 1.5.1 QT Alternate Download preset. The sequence renders and renders, and eventually PPro finishes. The resulting file is a 1KB file.

I've tried various settings for bitrate, spatial quality, etc., but always end up with a 1KB file...switched between Sorenson 3 to H.264 (not sure the difference, but I was trying to see if anything would work...).

The Streaming presets seem to work OK, but I'm trying to get a full quality encode. Is there a significant difference between the Alternate Download presets and the streaming presets, once I monkey around with framerate, dimensions, et al?

Thanks,
Matt

Roger Rosales
July 20th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Hey guys,

Recently I started playing with filmstrips exproted from Premiere Pro 1.5 and Photoshop CS2. The footage was 24p footage shot with an XL2.

I exported the footage and I got an error. I can't remember the first error, but I figured it could've been because of the 24p export. So I change it to DV (NTSC) 29.97fps and then a different error comes up. It said that the file could not be opened because photoshop could not parse the file.

So, I said "hhmmm..." I then took 29.97 fps footage and started a new 29.97fps project. Kept EVERYTHING Interlaced.

...VOILA! It worked. But I want it to work with 24p footage. Is there any way to get photoshop to correctly interpret 24p footage exported as a filmstrip?

Also, using a filmstrip made up of over 1000 frames is quite taxing on the machine, but I figure it could be my specs.

My specs:

1GHz Intel Processor
512 SDRAM
DV500

I figure upgrading to a 3.0GHz processor with DDR ram would greatly increase the performance of Photoshop with bigger filmstrip files?

What do you guys think I should/could do to improve performance, other than exporting small clips at a time. That would get too tedious.

Justin Tomchuk
July 21st, 2006, 07:53 AM
I figure upgrading to a 3.0GHz processor with DDR ram would greatly increase the performance of Photoshop with bigger filmstrip files?

What do you guys think I should/could do to improve performance, other than exporting small clips at a time. That would get too tedious.
Upgrading to a 3.0 processor will very much so boost performance. However, there may be other things that you can do without paying much money.

If your hard drive is full or near full or even 3/4ths full, delete a lot of unused large media files and useless other junk. I suggest you download CCleaner and use it, search it on Google. Or you could back up all your unused but needed files on DVDs like I do to free up space on the drive. Alternatively, you could buy an external hard drive.

512 MB of Ram is the same amount I use, but I have never used filmstrip in Photoshop CS2, because I only have 6.0; but I am guessing the over 1000 frames problem is a memory issue perhaps because filmstrip might manage video or frames inefficiently. I have been thinking about buying another 512 stick of Ram, one gig of Ram is almost standard these days with new programs. It can cost you around $40-$50 CAD.

I am sure you already know about defragging and spyware scanning, so try those as well. I don't know about the 24p problem but hopefully the performance tips might help.

Justin

John Godden
July 21st, 2006, 08:09 AM
Greetings

Can Premiere Pro 2 edit AVCHD format? Any suggestions/hints?

I'm contemplating the new Sony AVCHD HD hard-disk camcorder but would only go down that road if the files could be transfered/edited in Premiere Pro 2.

Thanks
JohnG

Nathaniel Sisson
July 21st, 2006, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

I am trying to open a Premiere Pro 2.0 project file in Premiere Pro 1.5 and it just says that the file is damaged or that something is missing in the file. I am wondering if there is any way for my friend to change something in Premiere Pro 2.0 so that it will work with 1.5.

Thanks,
Nathaniel

Christopher Lefchik
July 21st, 2006, 03:03 PM
No, Premiere Pro 2.0 projects cannot be opened in previous versions of Premiere.

Christopher Lefchik
July 21st, 2006, 03:12 PM
Panasonic and Sony only just began licensing the format July 13. While Adobe has expressed support for the format, it is highly doubtful that Premiere Pro 2.0 can edit the format.

Mike Rinkunas
July 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM
Hey everyone,

Im just about to throw the computer out the window....I recently shot a local HS graduation with 4 cameras, and i've done the mutlicam editing of the shoot (length of 1.5 hrs)

I'm trying to add logos in .psd format for the school and a local sponsor before and after the ceremony.

Now all the video play and export fine, including the multi-edit, however the second i try to render the still images, the system bogs down horribly - 4 hours to render 120-130 frames!!!!! and i've got about 2-3min total time made up of .psd files in the video, so you can see my frustration.

here are my system stats:
WinXP Pro SP2
PP2.0 upgrade version
Asus P4P800SE motherboard
Intel P4 3.2E Prescott 800mhz FSB
2GB RAM
200 GB system drive
800 GB video drive in RAID 5 config
Radeon 9600PRO 256MB Videocard

I've never had issues with PP1.0 with regards to rendering....what is going on here?!?!?!?!

HELP!!!!!!
~Mike

Christopher Lefchik
July 21st, 2006, 06:10 PM
Streaming with QuickTime Alternates is designed to have two or more QuickTime movies at different datarates with a text file that describes them. The QuickTime Player loads the text file (which usually also has a .mov extension) and then chooses the QuickTime movie it deems best for the Internet connection the client computer has. The 1KB file you are getting is this text file.

To be clear, using alternates will not give you a “better” movie than the regular QuickTime preset. The Alternates preset will simply give you a bunch of QuickTime movies at different datarates, with the text file that describes and links to them.

To get the alternate movies, you will need to select a folder under Alternates > Target Path. Click the Browse button and choose a folder for Premiere to render the alternate movies into.

Chris Barcellos
July 21st, 2006, 06:28 PM
Hey everyone,

Im just about to throw the computer out the window....I recently shot a local HS graduation with 4 cameras, and i've done the mutlicam editing of the shoot (length of 1.5 hrs)

I'm trying to add logos in .psd format for the school and a local sponsor before and after the ceremony.

Now all the video play and export fine, including the multi-edit, however the second i try to render the still images, the system bogs down horribly - 4 hours to render 120-130 frames!!!!! and i've got about 2-3min total time made up of .psd files in the video, so you can see my frustration.

here are my system stats:
WinXP Pro SP2
PP2.0 upgrade version
Asus P4P800SE motherboard
Intel P4 3.2E Prescott 800mhz FSB
2GB RAM
200 GB system drive
800 GB video drive in RAID 5 config
Radeon 9600PRO 256MB Videocard

I've never had issues with PP1.0 with regards to rendering....what is going on here?!?!?!?!

HELP!!!!!!
~Mike

Mike:

What resoluition are the files that you are porting in. Try reducing their size, otherwise, I'm the program will likely have to render the same large file to a small frame for each frame. I had the same problem when I used high resolution 8 megapixel files. I think there is another issue involving a designation of the photo or image for video use. I will try to find it....

Mike Rinkunas
July 22nd, 2006, 08:21 AM
chris,

I'll try re-sizing the images, but i've worked with these same graphics on a previous project in PP1.0 and there were no issues. So i hadn't even considered this as a possible problem.

Mike Rinkunas
July 22nd, 2006, 08:29 AM
chris & all....

i just want to check myself here....for rendering video images, the main CPU handles this activity, correct? Could this be a hyperthreading issue?

~MIke

Nathaniel Sisson
July 22nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
To bad. Thanks for the information.

Nathaniel

Roger Rosales
July 23rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks Justin, I'll do a search for CCleaner tomorrow.

Yeah, the whole filmstrip issue doesn't seem to be very feasible right now. Great feature, but it might even be too much for even the top of the line PC.

Matt Vanecek
July 23rd, 2006, 09:34 PM
hmm. Guess that explains where those .mov files that I never opened but only deleted on c:\ came from...thanks for the info. Thought I was going crazy or something.

Matt

Jack Major
July 24th, 2006, 09:35 PM
i was wondering if there was anyway to get analog footage onto my comp and then into adobe premiere pro 2.0 from my old sony hi8?

-Jack

Chris Barcellos
July 24th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Best way is to use a Sony Digital 8 camera. Most will actually play Hi8 and digitize throught firewire to the computer just as if it is a DV tape.

You can also buy cards, PCI or USB that will convert out the camera. Be sure the one you buy is converting to a high quality codec, like DV. I think you lose something if you transfer to an .mpg file.