View Full Version : JVC Pro HD with FCP / FCE

Pages : [1] 2 3

David Slingerland
August 10th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I am having some problems capturing footage from the jvc GY-HD-100 in to fcp5. The software will see my camera( i can control it) but not the footage, it remains black. So far I used hdv as capture but...
any ideas??/

Carl Bradshaw
August 14th, 2005, 05:50 AM
According to the latest Larry Jordan newsletter, Apple have stated that FCP5 does not support 720p24, so that could be your problem.

Here is the relevant quote:

--
JVC GY-HD100U camera

There was some dialog recently on the Apple Trainer's forum about whether Final Cut supports the JVC GY-HD100U camera shooting HDV in 720p 24 frame mode. The word from Apple engineers is that FCP does not support this video format.

The HDV supported formats are: 1080i60, 1080i50 and 720p30.
--

Carl Bradshaw
August 15th, 2005, 02:02 PM
As per the other thread on this board, the Apple discussion forums indicate that the JVC short GOP format is not directly supported in FCP5. A third party tool such as Lumiere HD must be used to capture 720p24 from the JVC camera.

Boyd Ostroff
August 15th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Here's the other thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49136

We should probably merge these...

Steve Nunez
August 22nd, 2005, 04:38 PM
I used "DVHSCap" to capture footage into my Mac using the "Uncompressed 10bit FCP" option and imported the footage into FCP4.5HD. I then edited the footage into a small 31 second video for testing. I was able to export the video as a 10 bit uncompressed DVCPRO 720p video and I'd like to send this uncompressed video back to the HD1- problem is MpegStreamclip doesn't convert this into a transport stream- is their a way to send this 10-bit uncompresed video back to the HD1?

<< Here's the video compressed using Quicktime's H264 codec- half quality but full size resolution- I think the quality is superb considering it's 50% compressed: right click and save- don't play it inline in the browser:::
http://stevenunez.com/video/duckparksample2.mov >>

Heath McKnight
August 22nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
It needs to be native HDV--do you have iMovie HD? Though it's an intermediate codec and it doesn't look quite as good.

Or:

www.lumierehd.com

heath

Cameron Ventura
September 15th, 2005, 04:04 PM
I'm having the same difficulties with FCP and the GY-HD100U, not seeing video, but controlling the deck, etc. I can't seem to find out if Lumiere actually supports JVC's new camera or not. Their site doesn't show it as supported, but a previous forum comment indicated that Lumiere might. Anything definitive?

Cameron Ventura

Michael Lopez
September 17th, 2005, 12:09 PM
As long as footage was shot in 30p and easy setup is set to HDV 720p30 you should be able to capture. Have you tried dumping your FCP preferences?

Also, if I may, is anybody using the BR-HD50 and having a problem recording back a sequence from FCP5 or just monitoring captured footage?

Shane Ross
September 19th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Well, there is the software that came with the camera, MPEG Edit Suite Pro LE. It offers limited functionality such as very few tracks of video and audio. Then there is the FULL VERSION which retails for $4800 and is for the PC. Not very economically viable.

Here is a review: http://videosystems.primediabusiness.com/ar/video_kddi_mpeg_edit/

Here is the product overview (more options on left of page): http://avs.kddlabs.co.jp/mpeg/mpro12/indexe.html

Tim Baker
October 2nd, 2005, 02:12 PM
Hey all...(sorry for the cross post, but I thought I would put this in both the HDV and the Final Cut Posts)...I am wondering for those with the HD100 and Final Cut Pro...what have you found to be the best way...or settings to post with?

I tried digitizing with the HDV preset. It recognized the camera, but would not do a batch dig from a list...each clip would start digitize, but would stop due to some "stream" issue.

I did get a digitize from a "now", but it would stop after each clip...with an error, but it retained what was digitized up to the error which amounted to almost like a stop at scene change.

What I shot was all at HDV 720p/60 and or 30 frames...I am not even going to worry about 24frames until there is some major upgrade to FCP.

So I have the Kona2 and I/O LA...the footage looks spectacular in the FCP windows, but I am not finding anyway to get it output to my standard, ntsc monitor. I thought that the Kona software should let me have a downconverted preview to my monitor. How would I achieve this? Run the output of my Kona2 and Kbox into my I/O LA?

I am just really at a loss for getting this posted...I am getting what is fabulous footage...honestly exceeding my expectations with the HD100, but now how is it best posted from those who may have more experience with it?

If it makes a diff...I am currently trying to input from firewire from camera. Did not buy the deck yet.

Thanks all.

Dustin Steven
October 3rd, 2005, 03:08 PM
Hello all, I got my HD100 about three weeks ago and LOVE it!!!
But am having huge problems and it sounds like others are as well in FCP5 when I capture now it will break up the clips around digtal start/stop points even when the option is unchecked, and then it will loose signal for around 5 seconds at which point it will start up agian on the new clip, now this is bad enough, but sometimes it does this in the middle of one clip no digital start or stop and even if I log the clip it will break at the same place. Even odder iMovie HD will capture everything great!!! I am on a Dual 2.5 G5 and am wondering if I need to get an AJA Kona card or something. Please help, this is my first time on this site but I am so frustrated.
Help me understand, I only want it to work, I have given up on 24p for the time being but I need 30p to work!!

Brian Duke
October 6th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Do any of you know when there will be an upgrade for HD100U users in FCP5? I know Lumeire is supposed to have an upgrade, but they've been saying that for a while now. Any news anyone??

Also, can I use Imovie HD to edit 24F footage from my HD100U?

I am getting my HD100U in a week or so and I can't wait until get started.

Brian

Tim Dashwood
October 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM
LumiereHD released a new beta a few days ago that supports the HD100.

Dave Cox
November 10th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Capturing using both Lumiere HD and DVHSCap 30p footage from the Hd-100. The correct timecode shows in both application's windows, however, when I view the demuxed file or the converted .mov, the timecode starts at 0 for each clip. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just how this works. I also notice breaks in the footage due to camera start/stop. I have noticed that streamclip sometimes doesn't like this.

Tim Dashwood
November 15th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Dave. This is the big annoyance right now with capturing this way. No matter what anyone else tells you, just remember that TIMECODE IS IMPORTANT!!!! I wish Lumiere would make it a priority.

However, it must be a tall order. Remember that the 60P timecode used for JVC's ProHD is very new. Up until now, most TC was either NTSC 30 DF, NDF or PAL. I believe that even 720P30 on the old JVC HD1 used 30 frame TC.
I'm surprised that the current beta of LumiereHD doesn't work either, but remember that LumiereHD and HDVxDV are both based on the DVHSCap SDK - and TC never worked with it.

I really hope this all gets worked out soon. Ideally Apple will release a new version of FCP at Macworld in January and we can go back to using Log & Capture the way we are used to.

Tim Dashwood
November 15th, 2005, 12:35 PM
By the way Dave, if you have 30P footage, then you don't need Lumiere or DVHS Cap. Just capture with the 720P30 HDV setting in Final Cut Pro.
It works fine with 720P30 (just not 720P24 or 25)

Tim Dashwood
November 15th, 2005, 04:39 PM
UPDATE!!! HDVxDV is now capable of digitizing and maintaining camera original timecode.

See this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=383417#post383417

Harry Bromley-Davenport
February 12th, 2006, 07:30 PM
This is a program which captures The Canon HDV 24f and other HDV output such as JVC into FCP, so they say.

http://www.hdvdxdv.com

I can't manage to get it to capture, but apparently other people have had success with it on the Canon, JVC and other HDV cameras.

Please try it and report your successes and failures. I don't want to wait for Apple to cough up their codec for the Canon.

best

Harry

Tim Dashwood
February 13th, 2006, 03:45 AM
I think you mean http://www.hdvxdv.com

It isn't new, but does a good job at capture m2t streams. It even will remove the pulldown from HD100 720P24 footage, but I haven't tested it with a XLH1.

Uwe Moore
February 16th, 2006, 03:07 AM
I have severe problems capturing the footage (720p/25) to Final Cut HD, despite it being the most recent version. Is there any way I can do it? Final Cut HD is unfortunately the only program I have to work on. Most cameras work fine but but the JVC HD100 doesn't get recognized. What can I do? Please help.

Many Thanks!

Maurice Jolly
February 16th, 2006, 03:28 AM
I have severe problems capturing the footage (720p/25) to Final Cut HD, despite it being the most recent version. Is there any way I can do it? Final Cut HD is unfortunately the only program I have to work on. Most cameras work fine but but the JVC HD100 doesn't get recognized. What can I do? Please help.

Many Thanks!

fcp5 will only capture and edit 720p/30 natively.

Uwe Moore
February 16th, 2006, 03:48 AM
fcp5 will only capture and edit 720p/30 natively.

However, I recorded in 720p/25. What do I need to do in order to edit the footage? A different program or is plug-in sufficient?

Maurice Jolly
February 16th, 2006, 04:02 AM
there are plug-ins that will work. hdvxdv and lumiere are two that i know of that will allow you to edit, i think. don't quote me on this.

Tim Dashwood
February 16th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Uwe,

The above responses are correct, FCP 5.0.4 does not support 720P25 natively yet. However, have no fear because there are fairly painless solutions.

Not alot of people are shooting 720P25, so it hasn't really been discussed around here too much. However, read these threads that describe workflows for 720P24.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56015

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57357

I would suggest using DVHSCap (ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Development_Kits/XFireWireSDK19e.dmg.bin) (part of Apple's Firewire SDK) to capture 720P25 from the camera, via firewire, into "m2t" files. You could also try HDVxDV (http://www.hdvxdv.com), but I'm not sure how well it works with 25P.
Then use MPEGStreamClip (http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html) to convert the m2t streams into usable quicktime files using the Apple Intermediate Codec. Now, the 720P25 stream will actually have 50fps, with every frame "doubled." You can either create a 1280x720, square pixel, 25fps sequence to edit (but each clip will have to be rendered because the duplicate frames are deleted) or a 50fps sequence to edit in realtime.

The other option is Lumiere HD 1.6b6 (http://www.lumierehd.com), which should work fine with 720P25. It costs $179.

*Please note that I have never tested 720P25 workflows myself.

Uwe Moore
February 16th, 2006, 07:55 AM
That sounds good. It's a shame these programs cost so much money. Are there any other editing programs that allow me to capture 720/25? Please let me know as I then might capture it using different programs and then use my Final Cut HD to edit the footage. Does that sound do-able?

Tim Dashwood
February 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM
It's a shame these programs cost so much money.

DVHSCap and MPEGStreamclip are free. I would imagine that for 720P25, they would work quite well for you. I only mentioned HDVxDV and Lumiere HD so that you were aware of all of the options. However, after spending over $6000 on a camera, $1500 on editing software, and $3000+ on computer hardware, I wouldn't consider $80 or $179 very expensive.

Ken Chan
February 17th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and has been eager to get my own JVC GY-HD100U or JVC GY-HD101E for PAL version which is the standard in my country - Singapore.

However, I have some major concern after reading some of the post here and elsewhere, mainly for the fact that I wonder if Final Cut Pro can edit the footage with ease.

I know that 24p is not possible at the moment, only 30p is possible, however I am using PAL frame rate of 25 fps, that means it is 25p, this setup is not found on my Final Cut Express HD, only 30p is available.

Is anyone out there using PAL version of the camera and edit with Final Cut Pro or Express HD encounter any problem digitising the footage? I hope I do not have to resort to using third party software to do this.

Please advise, thanks

Ken

Uwe Moore
February 17th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Thank you for your help. I'm considering buying Lumiere HD to cature from the JVC GY HD100 HDV-Camera, editing the footage on FCP5. Is there anything I need to look out for or make sure before purchasing the software? I just want to make sure I don't make an investment which doesn't work out again...

Also, I read that for 720/25 Lumiere HD does not support HD output from Final Cut Pro into HDV MPEG-2 Transport Stream and transfers back to HDV cameras.

So my question is: what options are there for me to play out my material? The reason being that I'm planning to make a blow up on 35mm and I need top HDV quality to give to the laboratory. Might an external hardrive be an option??

Many thanks for your help.

Sam Doyle
February 27th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Hi Ken,

I recieved my HD101 a couple of weeks ago on a friday evening, did a crash course on camera operation via reading the instruction book (had never used a camera before) - took my first footage of the kids beating each other up on the saturday afternoon in 720p 30 fps and headed off for a shoot on the Sunday morning to a Volcano here in the Nth Island of New Zealand.

Over the last couple of nights I have been doing batch captures and editing the footage mixing it with animations I have created in 3DSmax etc. I am a PC man at heart but have been using FCP HD to do the final work and gotta say...........what a great bit of software and all I am using is a basic e-mac. I couldnt believe how well it has worked with the camera - I hooked it up via firewire and it worked straight away without any problems.

I am about to try some editing some clips in 25 fps so will keep you posted.

So far I would recommend the combination.

Steve Mullen
February 27th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I know that 24p is not possible at the moment, only 30p is possible, however I am using PAL frame rate of 25 fps, that means it is 25p, this setup is not found on my Final Cut Express HD, only 30p is available.

TRY setting the frame rate to 25.0 and let us know.

Ken Chan
February 27th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the info, I haven't got my 101E yet, still doing the research, but I am gearing towards it. Just wondering if you shoot in 30 fps (which is what FCP can capture right now), is it compatible with the PAL format?

Keep me posted on your 25 fps clip.

Thanks

Eugen Oprina
April 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Hi guys,
I finaly decided to buy a mac so I got a quad system with FCP Pro5.
I have the following problem:
When I am trying to color corect or even if I put a fade to an image a major blocking (big compresion like squares) appear during the fade.
I recorded the same image on my old primiere pro Matrox RTX100 based system and cc and fading are smooth and clear.
What am I doing wrong?
Is there any seting for the FCP that I supose to know.
I am recording from BR50 images shot with GY HD 101.
Any help is welcome,
Eugen

Tim Dashwood
April 4th, 2006, 11:35 AM
You probably have your playback quality set to medium or low. "Dynamic" is the default for FCP5, but if you want to insure the highest quality of real-time renders, then set it to "high."

This setting can be adjusted in the "RT" pulldown menu on the left side of your timeline (above the video/audio track identifiers.)

Eugen Oprina
April 4th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Tim,
Does the playback quality settings count when playing a rendered footage?
The quality of a footage that I play through the firewire port depends on the same settings you told me about?
I friend of mine who works on the same FCP told me that he has this problem only with JVC GY hd 101 footage, Is it possible?
Thank you very much for your help, I am newborn in the mac world.
Forgot to say that the images are DV 25P not HDV.
Thanks again,
Eugen

Tim Dashwood
April 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM
DV is DV, no matter what camera it is shot on. At the point the Apple DV encoder captures it, it is all the same.

If you have rendered the effects and it still looks blocky, then the culprit is probably "Render Control" tab in your sequence settings and user preferences.

Open your User Preferences and click the "Render Control" tab and make sure that Frame Rate and Resolution are set to 100%. The User Preferences will affect all NEW sequences created.
To check the sequence you have already created, open "sequence Settings" (CMD+Zero) and check the render control.

Eugen Oprina
April 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Thank you very much Tim.
I'll try your advice first thing in the morning at the studio.
Have a nice day,
Eugen

Eugen Oprina
April 5th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Tim,
Everything is set the way you said but the result is unfortunately the same.
The image looks blocky even during a fade.
What should I do?
Your help is very much appreciated,
Eugen

Tim Dashwood
April 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Tim,
Everything is set the way you said but the result is unfortunately the same.
The image looks blocky even during a fade.
What should I do?
Your help is very much appreciated,
Eugen

In that case I'm stumped. The only other thing I could suggest is to confirm you didn't capture your footage with "OfflineRT?"
As you look at the columns in your bin you should see "DV-NTSC" or "DV-PAL" as the codec.

Randall Brown
May 12th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Ok I searched and looked for a workflow to edit 24P from the JVC with sound, without buying any other software and couldnt find anything. The workflow I found didnt keep sound.

So I ended up doing a lot of trial and error. Here is what I arrived at and other than MINOR tweaking of audio timing (over LONG clips ~1 hour) sync is perfect.

1. Capture from tape with DVHSCAP (you can get it at Apple Developer Site in the FireWire SDK)
2. Demux to m2v & aiff with MPEGStreamClip
3. Open m2V file with MPEFStreamClip and convert to Apple Intermediary Codec- DON'T change the frames per second, dont do any scaling
4. Open newly converted clip in Cinema tools. Play it back. It should playback faster than normal. If so proceed to step 5. If NOT you probally didnt demux it. I found some wierd things when I would convert the file with the audio.
5. Conform clip to 23.98 FPS in Cinema tools
6. Launch FCP 5+, and select easy set-up 720P 30P HDV AIC
7. Create a new sequence. Change the FPS setting to 23.98
8. Import the converted conformed file, as well as the AIFF file. Link the two.
9. Drop in timeline and play. Should be spot on without any rendering. if you see rendering bars. you most likely scaled it in MPEGStreamClip

I just used this workflow for 4 hours of footage, and it works. You will find that at the end of the each our you may need to sync a bit, I found that at the end of the hour I was off by about 19 frames. Wasnt hard to fix at all.

Your mileage may vary, but it worked for me! Any questions just ask. I tried to title it so it would search easily.

Matthew Groff
June 21st, 2006, 09:03 AM
I'm looking into the JVC HD100 camera but am dismayed at the lack of a suitable workflow for the camera. I'm wondering if anyone out there is using a workflow similar to this:

Using Firewire control, capture analog from camera through KonaLH card transcoding to DVCPRO HD 720p60 on the fly and then using Cinema Tools to batch remove pulldown?

This is a hypothetical scenario, but I'm wondering if this workflow would work and maintain accurate timecode for later recapture of material from tape?

If not, any idea when Apple is going to get into gear and hook up the native 24P HD editing?

mg

Steve Benner
June 25th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I'm looking into the JVC HD100 camera but am dismayed at the lack of a suitable workflow for the camera. I'm wondering if anyone out there is using a workflow similar to this:

Using Firewire control, capture analog from camera through KonaLH card transcoding to DVCPRO HD 720p60 on the fly and then using Cinema Tools to batch remove pulldown?

This is a hypothetical scenario, but I'm wondering if this workflow would work and maintain accurate timecode for later recapture of material from tape?

If not, any idea when Apple is going to get into gear and hook up the native 24P HD editing?

mg

I do not have a KonaLH Card, but I think it will work. It is probably easier just to record right to HDV on tape. It can then be captured with DVHSCap and converted using MPEG STREAMCLIP without the hassle of bringing a computer and capture card with you. Both programs are free, and the newest MPEG STREAMCLIP has a frame rate slot where you can put 23.98 in it.

Apple demo'd HDV 720/24 Native at NAB. The update will likely be unvailed in August at the Apple Conference. Apple said imment release which turned at to be a lie since it has been two months since NAB, but it will be sooner rather than later.

Andrew Young
June 26th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Hi Matthew,

I too am wondering about the Kona workflow, but I can tell you that Cinema Tools will only remove pulldown from NTSC material and the the DVCPro frame rate converter plugin for FCP will only work on Firewire captured Varicam material. So if you use the Kona card to get DVCProHD and TC from the HD100 into your Mac, you'd have to work with that material at 60 fps. Someone please correct me if you know otherwise, but I know of no easy way to remove that pulldown other than going to a post house and running it through a Teranex.

The MPEG Streamclip solution works OK, but I haven't had as good luck as Steve with it. I get a sync drift of about 1 frame per 5 minutes when I use it. HDVxDV drifts even more for me. This can be a real pain if your working on a long form doc with hours of footage. So there is no perfect solution, if you want to cut on a Mac.

Daniel Roviriego
June 28th, 2006, 11:00 AM
cool Randall, sound great..
I just have a question.. What did you do to conform the original mpeg2 when you finished editing?

Tahnks in advance
Daniel

Tim Gray
June 28th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you probably don't conform the original hdv file. You just use the AIC.

Aaron Clement
June 28th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Sorry wrong thread! See the JVC HD-100 thread if interested in a 24p workflow for the PC.

Drew Curran
June 30th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Ok I searched and looked for a workflow to edit 24P from the JVC with sound, without buying any other software and couldnt find anything. The workflow I found didnt keep sound.

So I ended up doing a lot of trial and error. Here is what I arrived at and other than MINOR tweaking of audio timing (over LONG clips ~1 hour) sync is perfect.

1. Capture from tape with DVHSCAP (you can get it at Apple Developer Site in the FireWire SDK)
2. Demux to m2v & aiff with MPEGStreamClip
3. Open m2V file with MPEFStreamClip and convert to Apple Intermediary Codec- DON'T change the frames per second, dont do any scaling
4. Open newly converted clip in Cinema tools. Play it back. It should playback faster than normal. If so proceed to step 5. If NOT you probally didnt demux it. I found some wierd things when I would convert the file with the audio.
5. Conform clip to 23.98 FPS in Cinema tools
6. Launch FCP 5+, and select easy set-up 720P 30P HDV AIC
7. Create a new sequence. Change the FPS setting to 23.98
8. Import the converted conformed file, as well as the AIFF file. Link the two.
9. Drop in timeline and play. Should be spot on without any rendering. if you see rendering bars. you most likely scaled it in MPEGStreamClip

I just used this workflow for 4 hours of footage, and it works. You will find that at the end of the each our you may need to sync a bit, I found that at the end of the hour I was off by about 19 frames. Wasnt hard to fix at all.

Your mileage may vary, but it worked for me! Any questions just ask. I tried to title it so it would search easily.

Thanks Randall

I was wondering why I wasn't getting any audio in FCP!

Does MPEGStreamClip remove the audio if you don't demux first?

Andrew.

Cecilia Galiena
July 29th, 2006, 05:33 AM
I am trying to capture into my FCP 5.4 (powerbook G4) hd footage I shot with my JVC HD100UA camcorder at 720p 24. I don't need to also capture the time code, I just need the visuals and the audio. Can I do that? If so, what is the workflow?
I would appreciate your help immensely
Cecilia Galiena

Rati Oneli
August 27th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I am wondering how they comapre to each other quality wise??? Lumiere costs $180 and DVHSCap is free. I see lots of pro guys using DVHSCap. It brings up a question: "Why the $#@$ did I pay $180 for something that I could get for free and it doesn't even do automatic scene detection?"

Also, I'm wondering if DVHSCap does automatic scene detection?

Thanks a lot guys

P.S. Can anyone post a complete workflow for DVHSCap and MPEG Streamclip to capture files into FCP 5? I've seen some helpful notes, but they don't seem complete. They don't mention demux option in DVHSCap etc.

David Knaggs
August 28th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Hi Rati.

I don't believe DVHSCap has a function to detect a new scene. It doesn't have any "Help" info available, but in my experience it just captures everything (including across timecode breaks) from when you click "Capture from D-VHS" until you click the button again to stop capture.

And remember, as long as you apply "Fix Timecode Breaks" in MPEG Streamclip there should be no need to demux and re-synch because the conversions (given by MPEG Streamclip) should be in perfect synch. So there's actually no need to demux with DVHSCap - and perhaps that's why the other workflows you looked at seemed to be incomplete.

I've given a 21 step workflow for use of DVHSCap and MPEG Streamclip with FCP in post #8 of this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70518

That one's for 25p and AIC of course. If you are looking at 24p, then simply change the "Frame Rate" in the MPEG Streamclip section to "23.976" and in the FCP section, under "Editing Timebase" select a number that reflects your 24p workflow such as "23.98".

Note: If you are going to convert 24p footage with MPEG Streamclip, I would strongly urge that you NOT capture across timecode breaks with DVHSCap (even though you can). Just capture one "take" at a time. I have a current 24p project where the cinematographer captures the footage on his own computer with DVHSCap, then burns the .m2t files onto a DVD-R and gives them to me. But he just captures the footage from an entire shot (sometimes up to 12 takes) all in one go to make up a single .m2t file. When I did the conversions with MPEG Streamclip (after fixing timecode breaks and typing in a frame rate of "23.976") I found that the early parts of the converted Quicktime were fine but that the later takes (after timecode breaks) had several repeat frames. So I went back to using HDVxDV for my 24p conversions. But I still use MPEG Streamclip for my 25p conversions. It's rock-solid with 25p. (This is all purely from my experience.)

But as Tim Dashwood (who I know from other posts only captures between timecode breaks) and others report great results using a framerate of 23.976 with MPEG Streamclip, I can only assume that capturing across several timecode breaks with DVHSCap was the likely cause of the problem with the repeat frames.

Rati Oneli
September 1st, 2006, 07:41 PM
Thank you David! I haven't had a chance to test the setting yet - I've been in the field most of the time. I will report if it works for me.