View Full Version : GL1 vs. GL2

Pages : 1 [2]

James Bridges
November 16th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Drew, hold out for the GL 2 if you can. If not and you are in a spot definately go with the GL 1 over the Optura Xi. I have owned both the GL 1 and 2. I shot my first feature length with the GL 1. It is a great starter camera. But, as said before, you wont find one with warranty. If you are in that situation have you thought of going with a SONY vx2000? It's a great work horse and has better low light capabilities than the GL 1. You can find them on EBAY from $1200 to around $1500 all day long. Just remember the most important part of making your movie is to tell a good story. If you can do that it doesn't matter what your first film is shot on. That's just my opinion though. Everyone has to start somewhere. GOOD LUCK!

Marco Leavitt
November 16th, 2005, 05:58 PM
That's where the need for good lighting comes in. You're better off buying (or renting) a lighting kit and learning how to use it even if you have to shoot with a $500 camcorder. The way technology moves, by the time you get your lighting skills down there'll be a new latest greatest camcorder to buy anyway.

Haven't used the Xi, but we have an Optura 60 which we really like. I would say the Optura is way -- way -- sharper than the GL1 and looks great if you feed it enough light. We used to have a GL1 though, and I thought the colors were richer. The image was just prettier somehow. It's difficult to describe. The Optura colors can seem a little brighter. They have very different looks.

The Optura 60 does have native 16:9 (which gives a really nice, wide angle of view) and manual audio controls. The biggest downside is the miserly batteries and no control over gain. You can't independently set the aperature and shutter, but you can lock either one and manually control the exposure. It's nearly as good. Also, and this is really cool, you can turn off the sleep mode entirely. That's something that really drove me nuts with the GL1.

Both cameras take about the same amount of light to get a good image, but you can push it a lot further with the GL1. To tell you the truth, if I had to pick between the two it would be a very tough choice. I would probably tilt towards the Optura because of the manual audio controls, and besides, it's newer and Canon will continue to service it for years. Not sure how much longer they'll continue to service the GL1 if they haven't stopped already. That's very important, especially with an older cam.

I don't mean to knock the GL1. It's real nice camera.

Panasonic makes a line of inexpensive 3 chippers that are supposed to be good, but I haven't used 'em.

James Bridges
November 16th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Also, and this is really cool, you can turn off the sleep mode entirely. That's something that really drove me nuts with the GL1.

AHHHHHH. You're going to bring back the nightmares. I hated that and had almost blocked the SLEEP mode out of my mind.

If the audio levels are a big deal to you, which they should be, get a small seperate mixer to monitor your audio. I found a four channel mackey, used for $150. It works great for small shoots. I got lucky though. The guy I bought it from did'nt know what he had.

Mathieu Ghekiere
November 17th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I'm really skeptical about the big price cameras because I've seen movies made with GL2s and XL1s that look the same as movies made with a friend's $300 JVC camcorder. I have to go with the cheapest camera that will get me good quality video that I can make look professional.

That's because they didn't lit it well.
If you don't light good, your 35mm can look like crap.
If you light good, your 300 dollar mini dv cam, can look very nice.
And if you have a GL2 for example, and you lit well, you can have very nice professional looking images.

Chad Sullie
December 30th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I'm looking to buy a Canon Gl-1 or Gl-2 to flim hunting footage. I have a company that may want the footage to put on there video. My question, do I really need to spend the extra $800.00 or $900.00 on the Gl-2 or would the Gl-1 make good enough video for TV footage?

Does the Gl-1 have a variable zoom similar to the Gl-2? I assume the Gl-1 have manual focus?

Thanks for your imput! I'm as green as they come, so be patient! Thanks!

Don Palomaki
December 30th, 2005, 06:03 PM
For commercial/profesional use the GL2 is better. It gives more control over the shooting parameters, and gives a somewhat sharper image. Also, a new GL2 comes with a warranty. The GL1 was discontinued over 3 years ago.

However, the GL1 does produce acceptable footage under most conditions and for most purposes. However, I can't say whether or not your prospective client would accept it.

The Gl1 and GL2 have basically the same lens and zoom ratio.

Chad Sullie
January 4th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks...I did not know the GL1 was discontinued. Looks like I will get the GL2.

Len Imbery
January 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Hi....FWIW...
The GL1 has been a steady workhorse for quite a few years now and there are many that have operated flawlessly over that time period....I've heard that their build quality is very good...so don't discount them completely...a lot of people are still on the lookout for them as they can be an affordable second camera for use in situations that you don't want to risk your $5000 unit....
Len

Steve Olds
January 4th, 2006, 10:30 PM
20x zoom, left and right volume control. Good reasons to buy a GL2 along with others. It also will do good in low light, not like a Sony but when your light is that low no footage is good. 20x zoom is a must for me in the outdoors. Steve

Len Imbery
January 4th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Yes, the 20X zoom was a major consideration on my part too for buying a GL2...
Len

Steve Olds
January 4th, 2006, 11:08 PM
I love my GL2 works great outdoors I made a camo cover to use with it, I hate the silver body but would not think twice about buying another

Dale Guthormsen
January 5th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Chad,

The gl2 allows you to adjust both audio chanels, which I have heard the gl1 does not do.
I film wildlife and hunting on a near daily basis 6 to 9 months a year. If you are going to not rely on actual in the field audio I would not worry to much about it but I find myself adjusting audio every time I am out. I would also invest in a good mic.
Just a thought, if you got a gl1 you could do a fair amount of adio work post production.

Gus

Colin Rayner
January 6th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Hi Chad,
I bought my GL-2 for the same type of things as you want to do, the 20x zoom was the decider otherwise I would have gone for something else. It will do all you need of it, there are heaps of commercial hunting videos out there shot on GL-2s.

Rich Hopkins
August 11th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Okay, so I am doing my second wedding this Friday. This one is on the beach near the lighthouse, about 4pm. I was thinking of taking the GL1 onto the beach for some shots of the Bride and Groom holding hands walking on beach, splashing etc. My question is, is the GL1 an inferior camera to the GL2? Or should I always use the GL2 over the GL1, and just keep the GL1 as a backup cam on tripod?

Benjamin Hill
August 11th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Rich, for my 2 cents, I shot with both the GL2 and the GL1 many, many hours, lots outdoors, and including several weddings.

In my opinion, anyone but the most experienced, seasoned digital video experts won't be able to tell the difference between those two cameras. But the GL2 probably has some subtle improvements, so if it makes no difference to you, why not use the newer camera?

Mark Williams
August 12th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Also agree. I have owned both. No one but someone who has shot with both could tell the difference in the final project.

Regards,

Rich Hopkins
August 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys- I took both cameras to the beach today to do some test shots. Both footage looks equal, so Im happy. I tell you, the shots done in Frame mode are so nice. I guess it's obvious to shoot both cams in Frame mode for wedding? Ill probably do all the outside filming in Frame, and for the reception (possible low light issues) do you think it would be wise to film in Normal to capture more fields of information?

Benjamin Hill
August 12th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Just my 2 cents again, but I'd shoot "Normal" interlaced video for everything in a wedding. When I first got a GL2 I in 2003 was so smitten with the film-look of Frame mode that I shot everything that way, and later learned that not everything works in that look because it gives it a very different feel. Some clients are not expecting that Frame look, either. I think most wedding video customers expect the "Normal" 60i look.

Plus, if you shoot Normal you can always deinterlace later to make it look frame, if you need, whereas you can't get that 60i look back again if you shoot Frame mode. And maybe I'm wrong, but I believe Frame mode reduces resolution. Again, just my opinion- happy shooting.

Shawn Yelle
October 2nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
ok, this is my first post although i have been browsing and looking for a while
i would just like to say that i'm pleased to find such a nice message board where i've found absolutely no "hating on" and where everyone is nice and helpful to everyone else

I'm a 16 year old in Orlando FL, i got a zr100 for christmas last year, and in the past 4-6 months have been recently getting into filming and editing.

I probably don't have a lot of money (1,500 at the most) i'll be shooting rollerblading films and films for school, i'm looking on Ebay to buy a GL1 or GL2 I'm thinking a GL2 would be the best choice because they just stopped making it, while the GL1 they stopped making a while ago.

But any help deciding this would be much appreciated, any other suggestions (i have also been looking at the Sony VX2100 because my friend has one)
any suggestions are welcome, as well as any advice.
Thanks.

Shawn Yelle
October 2nd, 2006, 04:06 PM
Also i would like to say
Sorry if i am already posting a question that has been asked. I couldn't find a thread exactly like mine...

Don Palomaki
October 3rd, 2006, 03:47 AM
I've not heard that the GL2 is no longer made. Canon still lists it as a standard definition product on their website, with the $250 rebate good to January 2007.

Other things being equal, the GL2 is the better camcorder. However, if you are talking used gear, it becomes a bit more complicated because the history and condition of the camcorder come into play. That is to say, a good GL1 will probably give you better service than a beat-up GL2.

Also, a GL2 has on the order of 7+ years of assured factory support remaining, while the GL1 has on the order of 3 or so years remaining.

Shawn Yelle
October 3rd, 2006, 07:37 PM
I've not heard that the GL2 is no longer made. Canon still lists it as a standard definition product on their website, with the $250 rebate good to January 2007.

Hmm, weird, a few days ago the 250$ rebate was expired, i guess canon decided to put another one on!

the new one says Oct 1st 2006 to jan 27th of 2007

Also, if i could maybe convince my grandparents (whom i live with) to get me a brand new one from say, B&H, should i? i'm sure i could say something like "i'll work for you" or maybe "i just wont get anything next christmas?" - haha

but yes, i'm more than likely going to buy off ebay, a used GL2. i will inspect the pictures the seller provides, very carefully to see if anything not listed is maybe wrong with the camera,

Thanks for the help Don!

Shawn Yelle
October 4th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I think that i've decided to go with the Sony VX2100 brand new from B&H photo.
Theres just too many problems with the GL2 that happen very often (zoom problem, tape problem)

while very few with the vx.

Yuta Motoyama
January 30th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Hey Everyone!Im new here and I tried doing a search but could not find any threads that compared the GL1 vs. the GL2 and what features are on the GL2 that arent on the GL1. I currently own a couple of GL1's and im thinking about upgrading to the GL2 or DVX100B (in which ive seen many threads that compare the two). I was wondering if you guys could help identify the features on the GL2 not present on the GL1. thanks in advance.

Bob Howard
January 30th, 2007, 08:36 PM
TheCanon GL2 website lists all the features of the GL2 and that includes the very large manual. Since you already have the GL1 it should be easy for YOU to make the comparison.

Chris Hurd
January 31st, 2007, 12:23 AM
It's easier to tell you what the two camcorders have in common. Only three features from the GL1 are found on the GL2, and they are: 20x zoom lens, optical image stabilisation, and frame movie mode. Everything else is different.

Mark Holland
January 31st, 2007, 01:59 PM
Differences? Numerous.

Differences I like and/or use? Audio meters on GL-2, a better picture with the GL-2, external manual audio control, MUCH faster tape load/reload on the GL-2, the list goes on, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

I DON'T like the re-placement of the headset jack on the GL-2. It's so close to the mic jack, that if you don't pay close attention you could easily plug the headset into the mic jack. (and vice versa)

Mark

Holly Rognan
February 7th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I would suggest getting a DVC30 over the Gl2, but I would honestly suggest the new HDV from Canon in a few months, it will be signficantly better than the Gl2 and cheaper. Check it out in the HV10 forum. The gl2 is showing it's age now, still alright in SD, but the DVx100 and Dvc30 will be a better value if you want to stick in the SD realm.