GL1 vs. GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 3rd, 2003, 04:45 PM   #1
RedeyeRob

How well does the color/footage shot with the GL2 mix with GL1 footage?

For anyone with both cams I would be considering purchasing a GL2 and use my GL1 and a GL2 for 2 cam weddings but want to know if footage matches up easily. I have heard a bit more red push is in the GL2. Can I set the color once to try to match the GL1 color and have ir remember the setting so I dont have to re-set it every time I change a battery etc? How about the other any other picture matching factors?
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:58 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Rob,
(Glad we got your user profile straightened-out.)

I used to own both cameras and have tried to match their footage to coexist in a sequence. The GL1 tended to be a bit warmer and softer than the GL2. The GL2 also produces a slightly sharper image. But honestly you could probably juxtapose their footage untouched and nobody except video geeks would take much notice. If you just can't stand to offend the geeks <g> I'd recommend turning the GL2's sharpness down a notch. Color adjustments will need to be judged on a scene-by-scene basis. Both cameras love their reds, with the GL1 loving it a bit more.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 10:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ken.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 12:12 AM   #4

A small footnote. Since the GL2's image is more adjustable than the GL1's you'll need to adapt the GL2 to the GL1.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old April 27th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #5
New Boot

GL1 vs. GL2

Can someone direct me to a thread or review with detailed pro's and con's of GL1 vs. GL2. Searched but didn't find exactly what I needed. I have been out of the loop for a while and am looking to upgrade from VX1000 with bad dv connection. Is GL2 worth extra $$?
Gayle Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 05:49 PM   #6
Outer Circle

The GL2 now has higher resolution, much better audio, and the lower manual shutter settings.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #7
Capt. Quirk

GL2 has time lapse.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 06:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Higher resolution stills

Left and right audio adjusting

Lighter

Battery last 30% more than the battery on the GL1

Better quality LCD screen

Green and red visual adjustments

Multimedia slot for high resolution stills

There are a lot more, but these are the ones that came off of the top of my head. Hope I helped.

Ryan Krga
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #9

See our GL-2 Watchdog pages for more information.

Old May 17th, 2003, 05:01 PM   #10
Major Player

GL1 or GL2? which to go with

Hi everyone,

Been lurking behind the scenes for a couple of weeks, soaking up as much information as possible. I'm new to the whole DV world. I was given a low end Sony digital8 for Christmas, now I hooked. In the process of putting together a dedicated NLE system.

Any how, after spending many hours on this site, and for many different reasons I decided on getting a GL2 to learn with, and then upgrade down the road to more advanced cameras.

Here's my question....

I have been given the opportunity to buy a used GL1 from someone I run into in my buisness. I know their camera is in great shape, and very seldem left their house (they used for their bikini, dancer costume company). Would I be better off paying more for the GL2? Are things that much different between the 2 models? I'm putting quite a bit into my NLE system, and would like a camera that can callange me.

Thanks for any input and gidence you can provide.

Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:18 PM   #11

Hello Jeff, and Welcome to DVInfo!

I am a current GL2 owner and former owner of a GL1. If cost differential will not be a major hurdle for you I would certainly vote for the GL2. Aside from its additional resolution and image controls (which are formidable), the GL2 also features greatly enhanced audio management. This, to me, is the biggest and most worthwhile reason to opt for the GL2. Although the GL2 does not provide native XLR inputs, it does offer good manual control over two channels. The GL1 offers very little in the way of audio facilities. Basically, you're getting 80-90% of an XL1s when you get the GL2.

So, now, about that bikini photography business...

Old May 17th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks for the input Ken, I think I'm set on the GL2 for now, I think. I want to learn so many things. Would like to get to the point where I can film and edit my own indie film. I would like to get a better camera to begin with, but I have to learn somewhere, and maybe when that time comes, the 24p cameras will start to dial in more. Thanks again.

Jeff

By the way Ken, I am the manager of a club here in Nashville called Ken's Gold Club, let's just say it's not a gym.
www.kensgoldclub.com
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #13
High School Student

Hey Jeff, I know your probably on a budget in the range of the GL2 and stuff, but just to point out another option, you can take a look at the VX2000. The prices have recently dropped on it, and I seen it for around $2100 at a reputable dealer recently, I forget what site that was though...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Now I know what to do next time I'm in Nashville.

In my opinion there's a world of difference between the GL1 and GL2, and if the GL2 is within your budget, it's definitely the way to go. As Ken says, you're basically getting the entire feature set of the complex XL1S menu system, plus full audio control and more. Lack of audio control is a primary limitation of the GL1. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:50 PM   #15

Jeff,
We can't wait to see some of your first test clips from your new camera...even if you buy a ZR20.

Whew...I guess that explains the GL1's prior use!

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders