GL1 vs. GL2 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 15th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
I'd hold out for a GL2 if only because it has manually controllable audio levels.
Plus the on-screen audio level displays on the GL2 are a big plus for any serious video work: I'd recommend it just for this reason. Plus I think the GL2 can go to a 1/30 second shutter speed while the GL1 is limited to 1/60th, which can make a difference in tough low-light situations.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #47
Regular Crew

GL2 vs. GL1: Is GL1 a worthy option?

....Plus you'd likely be buying a newer camcorder with the GL2....
Len Imbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #48
Inner Circle

By the way, you haven't mentioned your budget for the rest of the movie. I hope you're also putting together a decent lighting and sound package. The camcorder is far and away the least important part of the equation.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #49
Regular Crew

I don't really have a budget put aside, I just can't spend more than $5,000 on the whole movie. A lot of costumes, props, sets will be borrowed from people in the community.

I'll be buying boom mics and lighting, my first step right now is the video camera. Is a Canon Optura Xi comparable to the GL1?

I'm really skeptical about the big price cameras because I've seen movies made with GL2s and XL1s that look the same as movies made with a friend's $300 JVC camcorder. I have to go with the cheapest camera that will get me good quality video that I can make look professional.
Drew Meinecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #50
Wrangler

GL1 has been out of production for 3+ years. GL2 is arguably nearing the end of its production run, possibly within a year, but that is speculation. ANy Gl1 is likely without any warranty

GL2 has a number of worthwhile enhancements over GL1, not the least of which is somewhat higher resolution and more user control.

Both GLs are 3-CCD which translates to much better color than a 1-CCD camcorder under most circumstances.
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Drew, hold out for the GL 2 if you can. If not and you are in a spot definately go with the GL 1 over the Optura Xi. I have owned both the GL 1 and 2. I shot my first feature length with the GL 1. It is a great starter camera. But, as said before, you wont find one with warranty. If you are in that situation have you thought of going with a SONY vx2000? It's a great work horse and has better low light capabilities than the GL 1. You can find them on EBAY from $1200 to around $1500 all day long. Just remember the most important part of making your movie is to tell a good story. If you can do that it doesn't matter what your first film is shot on. That's just my opinion though. Everyone has to start somewhere. GOOD LUCK!

http://www.southernwindsfilmfestival.com

http://www.phigmentphilms.com
James Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #52
Inner Circle

That's where the need for good lighting comes in. You're better off buying (or renting) a lighting kit and learning how to use it even if you have to shoot with a $500 camcorder. The way technology moves, by the time you get your lighting skills down there'll be a new latest greatest camcorder to buy anyway.

Haven't used the Xi, but we have an Optura 60 which we really like. I would say the Optura is way -- way -- sharper than the GL1 and looks great if you feed it enough light. We used to have a GL1 though, and I thought the colors were richer. The image was just prettier somehow. It's difficult to describe. The Optura colors can seem a little brighter. They have very different looks.

The Optura 60 does have native 16:9 (which gives a really nice, wide angle of view) and manual audio controls. The biggest downside is the miserly batteries and no control over gain. You can't independently set the aperature and shutter, but you can lock either one and manually control the exposure. It's nearly as good. Also, and this is really cool, you can turn off the sleep mode entirely. That's something that really drove me nuts with the GL1.

Both cameras take about the same amount of light to get a good image, but you can push it a lot further with the GL1. To tell you the truth, if I had to pick between the two it would be a very tough choice. I would probably tilt towards the Optura because of the manual audio controls, and besides, it's newer and Canon will continue to service it for years. Not sure how much longer they'll continue to service the GL1 if they haven't stopped already. That's very important, especially with an older cam.

I don't mean to knock the GL1. It's real nice camera.

Panasonic makes a line of inexpensive 3 chippers that are supposed to be good, but I haven't used 'em.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
Also, and this is really cool, you can turn off the sleep mode entirely. That's something that really drove me nuts with the GL1.

AHHHHHH. You're going to bring back the nightmares. I hated that and had almost blocked the SLEEP mode out of my mind.

If the audio levels are a big deal to you, which they should be, get a small seperate mixer to monitor your audio. I found a four channel mackey, used for $150. It works great for small shoots. I got lucky though. The guy I bought it from did'nt know what he had.

http://www.southernwindsfilmfestival.com

http://www.phigmentphilms.com
James Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #54
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Meinecke
I'm really skeptical about the big price cameras because I've seen movies made with GL2s and XL1s that look the same as movies made with a friend's $300 JVC camcorder. I have to go with the cheapest camera that will get me good quality video that I can make look professional.
That's because they didn't lit it well.
If you don't light good, your 35mm can look like crap.
If you light good, your 300 dollar mini dv cam, can look very nice.
And if you have a GL2 for example, and you lit well, you can have very nice professional looking images.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #55
Tourist

New w/ a question..

I'm looking to buy a Canon Gl-1 or Gl-2 to flim hunting footage. I have a company that may want the footage to put on there video. My question, do I really need to spend the extra $800.00 or $900.00 on the Gl-2 or would the Gl-1 make good enough video for TV footage?

Does the Gl-1 have a variable zoom similar to the Gl-2? I assume the Gl-1 have manual focus?

Thanks for your imput! I'm as green as they come, so be patient! Thanks!
Chad Sullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #56
Wrangler

For commercial/profesional use the GL2 is better. It gives more control over the shooting parameters, and gives a somewhat sharper image. Also, a new GL2 comes with a warranty. The GL1 was discontinued over 3 years ago.

However, the GL1 does produce acceptable footage under most conditions and for most purposes. However, I can't say whether or not your prospective client would accept it.

The Gl1 and GL2 have basically the same lens and zoom ratio.
Old January 4th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #57
Tourist

Thanks...I did not know the GL1 was discontinued. Looks like I will get the GL2.
Chad Sullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #58
Regular Crew

GL1 or GL2

Hi....FWIW...
The GL1 has been a steady workhorse for quite a few years now and there are many that have operated flawlessly over that time period....I've heard that their build quality is very good...so don't discount them completely...a lot of people are still on the lookout for them as they can be an affordable second camera for use in situations that you don't want to risk your $5000 unit....
Len
Len Imbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #59
Regular Crew

20x zoom, left and right volume control. Good reasons to buy a GL2 along with others. It also will do good in low light, not like a Sony but when your light is that low no footage is good. 20x zoom is a must for me in the outdoors. Steve
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #60
Regular Crew

20Xzoom

Yes, the 20X zoom was a major consideration on my part too for buying a GL2...
Len
Len Imbery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders