GL1 vs. GL2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 24th, 2003, 06:45 PM   #16
Major Player

There is a resolution improvement but not a dramatic one between the GL1/GL2. So if you are counting on a big resolution boost think again. More control over your video and audio is a big plus though.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #17
New Boot

GL2 & Gl1 Matchup

Hello all. I will be shooting a wedding at night, indoors, with a GL2 & Gl1.
My plan was to use the GL2 in frame mode and at 1/30 shutter. But, the GL1 (also will use frame mode) will not do 1/30 shutter, only as low as 1/60.

If I use the Gl2 in frame mode at 1/60 to match the GL1 1/60 does that affect the picture quality at all, will I be losing anything? I guess my real question is does shutter speed affect frame mode?

Any other recommendations on matching these 2 cams up in a low light situation?

Thanks.
Paul Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:26 AM   #18
Trustee

The GL2 functions best no lower than 1/60, so you should definitely run both at no lower than this. There are very rare occasions when 1/30 might be necessary; namely low-light, where you don't care too much about clarity.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I agree with Imran. I've found the GL2 looks a lot better above 1/60, but if the light is low, it's worth dropping to 1/30 rather than boosting the gain (assuming you've opened up the iris all the way and tried all the other options).

Levelse7en@gmail.com
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #20
Major Player

Well I have a GL2 and do sometimes use a GL1 with The GL2 and other cams for weddings. I have never used frame mode nor 1/30 shutter for wedding because of the strobing associated with that stuff. The shutter speed produces more strobing effects than the frame mode alone. Sure there will be more light but man 1/60 shutter will produce severe strobing. I guess if the couple is prepared for that...you do loose apparent resolution when you go into frame mode (more on the GL1 than the GL2) and again for both cams when you go 1/30 or 1/60 shutter. You probably already know you'll have to color corect to match the footage as the GL1 is more yellow and the GL2 more pink for indoor shots regardless of white balance.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:52 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Mixing footage from gl1 with gl2?

If I tape a wedding with two cameras (one gl1 and one gl2) will there be any noticeable difference in video quality between these two cameras? I am planning on purchasing a new gl2 this summer but I don't want to use my one chip camera for a second. I would like to pick up a used gl1 and was wondering if that would work alright? Thanks for your help.

Chris Harvey
Chris Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 05:12 PM   #22
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The average viewer would probably not notice much difference.

I own a GL2 and, previously, owned a GL1. Both excellent cameras! If I was mixing their footage and wanted to be very persnickety about it I would consider making two adjustments.

1. On the GL2, turn the sharpness down 1 click. The GL2 produces a noticably sharper standard image than the GL1.

2. On the GL1, (am stretching my memory a bit) turn the color saturation DOWN 1 click. The GL1 can be just a bit over-saturated as compared to the Gl2.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck on your shoot!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 10:31 PM   #23
Major Player

I've shot weddings mixing GL2 and GL1 footage. Besides what Ken said, reserve the GL2 for the better shot position. Also in post you are going to need to color correct to match the shots. If it is outdoor footage it might not be needed at all but inside shooting it will. The GL2 flesh tones are often pinkish in comparison to the GL1 tones indoors. I suppose you don't have to do it but I definately would. It was a very noticable difference to me.
Old April 29th, 2004, 05:47 AM   #24
New Boot

GL1 v GL2

Hi,

Does anyone have a site that compares the features of the GL1 with the GL2?

I have been doing some searching, but have not had much luck

Thanks
Clint Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #25
Major Player

Yeah, this site. Just do a search here for "GL1 vs GL2" and read away...
Old April 29th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #26
New Boot

Will do!!

Thanks!
Clint Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #27
Tourist

from GL1 to GL2

Hello,

I have been happily using GL1 for over four years and have a need for the second camera. First thing that came to mind was GL2. I tested most features at local camera store except for one. Is it true that VHS, or DVD's can be recorded directly into iMovie or Premiere (I am on Mac) using GL2 as a pass through device without recording to miniDV tape first. This direction does not work with GL1, only the opposite, from computer to VHS or DVD. Thanks

Andre
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #28
Old Boot

. .don't know if I'm coming or going . .

. .er . .can you ask this a different way . . ? Please!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Yes, GL2 can be used as passthru device

VHS --> GL2 ---> PC (Premiere Pro)

Simply connect your VCR to your GL2 with the supplied composite video cable, then connect your GL2 to your PC using a Firewire cable. Lastly, enable passthru on your GL2.

The only tricky (?) part is capturing with Premiere Pro since you will not have "device control".
Ming Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:59 PM   #30
Regular Crew

You can do this with your GL1!!! I do! It doesn't work in Final Cut Pro because you don't have device control with the camera in Camera mode. It works great in iMovie though!

I used it to get some clips off of my tivo of a couple tv shows I was an extra in.
www.xedgehosting.com
Jeffery Patch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders