View Full Version : GL1 vs. GL2

Pages : [1] 2

RedeyeRob
April 3rd, 2003, 04:45 PM
For anyone with both cams I would be considering purchasing a GL2 and use my GL1 and a GL2 for 2 cam weddings but want to know if footage matches up easily. I have heard a bit more red push is in the GL2. Can I set the color once to try to match the GL1 color and have ir remember the setting so I dont have to re-set it every time I change a battery etc? How about the other any other picture matching factors?

Ken Tanaka
April 3rd, 2003, 08:58 PM
Hello Rob,
(Glad we got your user profile straightened-out.)

I used to own both cameras and have tried to match their footage to coexist in a sequence. The GL1 tended to be a bit warmer and softer than the GL2. The GL2 also produces a slightly sharper image. But honestly you could probably juxtapose their footage untouched and nobody except video geeks would take much notice. If you just can't stand to offend the geeks <g> I'd recommend turning the GL2's sharpness down a notch. Color adjustments will need to be judged on a scene-by-scene basis. Both cameras love their reds, with the GL1 loving it a bit more.

Rob Easler
April 3rd, 2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks Ken.

Ken Tanaka
April 4th, 2003, 12:12 AM
A small footnote. Since the GL2's image is more adjustable than the GL1's you'll need to adapt the GL2 to the GL1.

Gayle Bryan
April 27th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Can someone direct me to a thread or review with detailed pro's and con's of GL1 vs. GL2. Searched but didn't find exactly what I needed. I have been out of the loop for a while and am looking to upgrade from VX1000 with bad dv connection. Is GL2 worth extra $$?

Frank Granovski
April 27th, 2003, 05:49 PM
The GL2 now has higher resolution, much better audio, and the lower manual shutter settings.

K. Forman
April 27th, 2003, 06:05 PM
GL2 has time lapse.

Ryan Krga
April 27th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Higher resolution stills

Left and right audio adjusting

Lighter

Battery last 30% more than the battery on the GL1

Better quality LCD screen

Green and red visual adjustments

Multimedia slot for high resolution stills

There are a lot more, but these are the ones that came off of the top of my head. Hope I helped.

Ryan Krga

Ken Tanaka
April 27th, 2003, 07:17 PM
See our GL-2 Watchdog (http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/index.php) pages for more information.

Jeff Troiano
May 17th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Hi everyone,

Been lurking behind the scenes for a couple of weeks, soaking up as much information as possible. I'm new to the whole DV world. I was given a low end Sony digital8 for Christmas, now I hooked. In the process of putting together a dedicated NLE system.

Any how, after spending many hours on this site, and for many different reasons I decided on getting a GL2 to learn with, and then upgrade down the road to more advanced cameras.

Here's my question....

I have been given the opportunity to buy a used GL1 from someone I run into in my buisness. I know their camera is in great shape, and very seldem left their house (they used for their bikini, dancer costume company). Would I be better off paying more for the GL2? Are things that much different between the 2 models? I'm putting quite a bit into my NLE system, and would like a camera that can callange me.

Thanks for any input and gidence you can provide.

Jeff

Ken Tanaka
May 17th, 2003, 05:18 PM
I am a current GL2 owner and former owner of a GL1. If cost differential will not be a major hurdle for you I would certainly vote for the GL2. Aside from its additional resolution and image controls (which are formidable), the GL2 also features greatly enhanced audio management. This, to me, is the biggest and most worthwhile reason to opt for the GL2. Although the GL2 does not provide native XLR inputs, it does offer good manual control over two channels. The GL1 offers very little in the way of audio facilities. Basically, you're getting 80-90% of an XL1s when you get the GL2.

So, now, about that bikini photography business...

Jeff Troiano
May 17th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the input Ken, I think I'm set on the GL2 for now, I think. I want to learn so many things. Would like to get to the point where I can film and edit my own indie film. I would like to get a better camera to begin with, but I have to learn somewhere, and maybe when that time comes, the 24p cameras will start to dial in more. Thanks again.

Jeff

By the way Ken, I am the manager of a club here in Nashville called Ken's Gold Club, let's just say it's not a gym.
www.kensgoldclub.com

Alex Knappenberger
May 17th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Hey Jeff, I know your probably on a budget in the range of the GL2 and stuff, but just to point out another option, you can take a look at the VX2000. The prices have recently dropped on it, and I seen it for around $2100 at a reputable dealer recently, I forget what site that was though...

Chris Hurd
May 17th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Now I know what to do next time I'm in Nashville.

In my opinion there's a world of difference between the GL1 and GL2, and if the GL2 is within your budget, it's definitely the way to go. As Ken says, you're basically getting the entire feature set of the complex XL1S menu system, plus full audio control and more. Lack of audio control is a primary limitation of the GL1. Hope this helps,

Ken Tanaka
May 17th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Jeff,
We can't wait to see some of your first test clips from your new camera...even if you buy a ZR20.

Whew...I guess that explains the GL1's prior use!

Bill Hardy
May 24th, 2003, 06:45 PM
There is a resolution improvement but not a dramatic one between the GL1/GL2. So if you are counting on a big resolution boost think again. More control over your video and audio is a big plus though.

Paul Nuttall
January 7th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Hello all. I will be shooting a wedding at night, indoors, with a GL2 & Gl1.
My plan was to use the GL2 in frame mode and at 1/30 shutter. But, the GL1 (also will use frame mode) will not do 1/30 shutter, only as low as 1/60.

If I use the Gl2 in frame mode at 1/60 to match the GL1 1/60 does that affect the picture quality at all, will I be losing anything? I guess my real question is does shutter speed affect frame mode?

Any other recommendations on matching these 2 cams up in a low light situation?

Thanks.

Imran Zaidi
January 7th, 2004, 09:26 AM
The GL2 functions best no lower than 1/60, so you should definitely run both at no lower than this. There are very rare occasions when 1/30 might be necessary; namely low-light, where you don't care too much about clarity.

John Lee
January 7th, 2004, 09:41 AM
I agree with Imran. I've found the GL2 looks a lot better above 1/60, but if the light is low, it's worth dropping to 1/30 rather than boosting the gain (assuming you've opened up the iris all the way and tried all the other options).

Rob Easler
January 7th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Well I have a GL2 and do sometimes use a GL1 with The GL2 and other cams for weddings. I have never used frame mode nor 1/30 shutter for wedding because of the strobing associated with that stuff. The shutter speed produces more strobing effects than the frame mode alone. Sure there will be more light but man 1/60 shutter will produce severe strobing. I guess if the couple is prepared for that...you do loose apparent resolution when you go into frame mode (more on the GL1 than the GL2) and again for both cams when you go 1/30 or 1/60 shutter. You probably already know you'll have to color corect to match the footage as the GL1 is more yellow and the GL2 more pink for indoor shots regardless of white balance.

Chris Harvey
January 21st, 2004, 04:52 PM
If I tape a wedding with two cameras (one gl1 and one gl2) will there be any noticeable difference in video quality between these two cameras? I am planning on purchasing a new gl2 this summer but I don't want to use my one chip camera for a second. I would like to pick up a used gl1 and was wondering if that would work alright? Thanks for your help.

Chris Harvey

Ken Tanaka
January 21st, 2004, 05:12 PM
The average viewer would probably not notice much difference.

I own a GL2 and, previously, owned a GL1. Both excellent cameras! If I was mixing their footage and wanted to be very persnickety about it I would consider making two adjustments.

1. On the GL2, turn the sharpness down 1 click. The GL2 produces a noticably sharper standard image than the GL1.

2. On the GL1, (am stretching my memory a bit) turn the color saturation DOWN 1 click. The GL1 can be just a bit over-saturated as compared to the Gl2.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck on your shoot!

Rob Easler
January 21st, 2004, 10:31 PM
I've shot weddings mixing GL2 and GL1 footage. Besides what Ken said, reserve the GL2 for the better shot position. Also in post you are going to need to color correct to match the shots. If it is outdoor footage it might not be needed at all but inside shooting it will. The GL2 flesh tones are often pinkish in comparison to the GL1 tones indoors. I suppose you don't have to do it but I definately would. It was a very noticable difference to me.

Clint Newman
April 29th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have a site that compares the features of the GL1 with the GL2?

I have been doing some searching, but have not had much luck

Thanks

Rob Easler
April 29th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Yeah, this site. Just do a search here for "GL1 vs GL2" and read away...

Clint Newman
April 29th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Will do!!

Thanks!

Andre Lapucha
May 14th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Hello,

I have been happily using GL1 for over four years and have a need for the second camera. First thing that came to mind was GL2. I tested most features at local camera store except for one. Is it true that VHS, or DVD's can be recorded directly into iMovie or Premiere (I am on Mac) using GL2 as a pass through device without recording to miniDV tape first. This direction does not work with GL1, only the opposite, from computer to VHS or DVD. Thanks

Andre

Graham Bernard
May 14th, 2004, 09:32 AM
. .er . .can you ask this a different way . . ? Please!

Grazie

Ming Dong
May 14th, 2004, 09:56 AM
VHS --> GL2 ---> PC (Premiere Pro)

Simply connect your VCR to your GL2 with the supplied composite video cable, then connect your GL2 to your PC using a Firewire cable. Lastly, enable passthru on your GL2.

The only tricky (?) part is capturing with Premiere Pro since you will not have "device control".

Jeffery Patch
May 23rd, 2004, 03:59 PM
You can do this with your GL1!!! I do! It doesn't work in Final Cut Pro because you don't have device control with the camera in Camera mode. It works great in iMovie though!

I used it to get some clips off of my tivo of a couple tv shows I was an extra in.

Adam Oberdorfer
June 16th, 2004, 05:24 PM
I just picked up a GL2 a couple of weeks ago for a DVD project I'm working on this summer. So far I'm really enjoying it. This forum has been a great resource - this is my first post.

A friend of mine saw a couple hard cases at a store by his house. They were the Canon HT-3000 and HT-4000. Anyone know if a GL2 will fit in either of these? The price was pretty low compared to MSRP or B&H so I am interested in getting one.

Thanks a lot!

Jeff Toogood
June 16th, 2004, 06:23 PM
If it is an HC-4000 it was designed for a Canon GL1, so the GL2 'should' probably fit in it fine.

Ken Tanaka
June 16th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Adam,
I tried to look the cases up at Canon's site, but they've recently "redesigned" their site and it's not what you'd call fully functional.

I can tell you that the GL2 is perhaps 1/2" longer than the GL1. Canon's current GL2 case is the HC-4100 and offered by B&H Photo for both the GL1 and GL2.

Before you buy the case, however, I recommend you look at some alternatives. Canon's cases have that sleek, shiny aluminum finish that really stands out...particularly to potential thieves. They are also not the most rugged and weather-proof choices, certainly for that money.

If you're looking for a top-notch, indestructible, weather-proof, lifetime guarantee hard case I really recommend that you look at Pelican or Storm cases. They are far better values for the money and are not so conspicuous. You can find them at many places, but my favorite place for these cases is Cases4Less (http://www.cases4less.com/). Of course, B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=pelican&image.x=7&image.y=7) also carries a large selection of Pelican cases.

If you do not require a hard case, Porta Brace, Kata and Petrol are all good selections for rigid soft cases.

Have fun!

Adam Oberdorfer
June 16th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was planning on a pelican case after reading some reviews of the Canon HT-4100 on Amazon. My friend then saw these cases at a small camera store by his house. They were on clearance and would cost me around $100-200 with ground shipping.

Ken, Which Pelican case do you suggest? I think I was looking at the 1500.

Ken Tanaka
June 16th, 2004, 07:47 PM
I don't use Pelican cases for my camera. But if I were to use one for my GL2 I would definitely go with at least a 1550. That will leave you adequate pad length for the GL2 and a WD-58 adapter with its hood. It's also a nice depth and you'll be able to carve homes for spare batteries, mic, and other accessories.

Mark Fan
September 28th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Apart from having still pictures on GL2, and higher resolutions , it doesn't seem that GL2 is any better than GL1? am I right ?

hope u talented dudes can point out more advantages of using Gl2 instead of GL1.

can anyone also tell me ( if u have seen the videos taken by those two) the image quality differences ?
coz as I know they both use same CCDs, but due to different pixel shift technology , GL2 somehow has greater resolution.

Cheers!

Ken Tanaka
September 28th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Apart from having still pictures on GL2, and higher resolutions , it doesn't seem that GL2 is any better than GL1? am I right ?

No.

Browse some of our GL2 articles (http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/reports/owner.php).

Hart Boyd
September 28th, 2004, 10:50 AM
One item that was important to me is that the GL-2 has audio meters on the LCD and on the side of the camera.

Casey Visco
September 28th, 2004, 06:03 PM
I would sincerely hope that the GL2 is better. The GL1 suffered from NOT ENOUGH resolution in the camera section for even Standard Definition, let alone the Ideal situation of slightly MORE resolution to cover the Kell Factor problem. I used the GL1 quite a bit over a period of a couple years and found its image quality to be unacceptable for even DV. I can't imagine Canon would be dumb enough to put out a second version of that camera and not fix any of its shortcomings.

David Levine
October 3rd, 2004, 01:04 PM
I have used the gl2 side by side with the gl1 for many shoots
when editing the difference between the two is quite clear
(replaced the gl1 with the xl2 recently)
The sound, picture quality, the way the cameras handle exposer also is strikingly different, the gl1 tends to give me alot more problems while the gl2 produced on average a more balanced and vibrant image

Chris Hurd
October 3rd, 2004, 01:21 PM
The only things that are in common between the GL1 and GL2: they both share the same 20x lens, optical image stabilisation, and frame movie mode. Everything else is completely different, with the GL2 being vastly superior to the GL1. In my opinion the two biggest advantages of the GL2 are its CCD block (containing 380,000 effective pixels per CCD vs. 250,000 pixels per CCD in the GL1), and the menu system borrowed from the XL1S which includes custom presets and about a score of other significant features.

Joa Harrison
October 30th, 2005, 12:25 PM
I'm here reading all these horror stories of the GL2 and wondering if the GL1 has similar issues. Are there common problems that the GL1 has or is it regarded as a fairly robust camera? I'll sacrifice some of the features and resolution of the GL2 if that is the case.

Thanks for the frank discussions, they're what this forum is all about.

Joa

Drew Meinecke
November 15th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Hi, I'm looking to buy my first camcorder for a movie I'm working on, and I know that a GL2 would be nice but it might be a little out of my price range. Is a GL1 similar to a GL2, how much better is a GL2, what are the differences, similarities?

K. Forman
November 15th, 2005, 09:18 PM
The GL2 has a few more features, but I couldn't really tell you what they are. I can tell you, that my GL1 is a very capable camera, even though it has low light limitations. I've had it for about 3 years, and no issues. It is a work horse.

I remember thing about the GL2 when it came out, but didn't see enough difference to spend more money to replace a good cam.

Marco Leavitt
November 15th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I'd hold out for a GL2 if only because it has manually controllable audio levels.

Kevin Shaw
November 15th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I'd hold out for a GL2 if only because it has manually controllable audio levels.

Plus the on-screen audio level displays on the GL2 are a big plus for any serious video work: I'd recommend it just for this reason. Plus I think the GL2 can go to a 1/30 second shutter speed while the GL1 is limited to 1/60th, which can make a difference in tough low-light situations.

Len Imbery
November 16th, 2005, 10:37 AM
....Plus you'd likely be buying a newer camcorder with the GL2....

Marco Leavitt
November 16th, 2005, 11:17 AM
By the way, you haven't mentioned your budget for the rest of the movie. I hope you're also putting together a decent lighting and sound package. The camcorder is far and away the least important part of the equation.

Drew Meinecke
November 16th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I don't really have a budget put aside, I just can't spend more than $5,000 on the whole movie. A lot of costumes, props, sets will be borrowed from people in the community.

I'll be buying boom mics and lighting, my first step right now is the video camera. Is a Canon Optura Xi comparable to the GL1?

I'm really skeptical about the big price cameras because I've seen movies made with GL2s and XL1s that look the same as movies made with a friend's $300 JVC camcorder. I have to go with the cheapest camera that will get me good quality video that I can make look professional.

Don Palomaki
November 16th, 2005, 05:46 PM
GL1 has been out of production for 3+ years. GL2 is arguably nearing the end of its production run, possibly within a year, but that is speculation. ANy Gl1 is likely without any warranty

GL2 has a number of worthwhile enhancements over GL1, not the least of which is somewhat higher resolution and more user control.

Both GLs are 3-CCD which translates to much better color than a 1-CCD camcorder under most circumstances.