DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   When will we see a new prosumer cam in the $2-$4k range from Sony or Canon? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/112928-when-will-we-see-new-prosumer-cam-2-4k-range-sony-canon.html)

Monday Isa February 21st, 2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 830324)
Monday,
Give me a call after NAB. I'll give you $5 for it.

That made my day Ethan (^_^) ROFL!!!

Monday Isa February 21st, 2008 02:10 PM

I believe it was released in November of 2006. Not even 2 years and it's discontinued. 1 and a half years short lived. I do wonder if sony has something else in stored for the consumer division. Anyways I'll hit you up after NAB Ethan

Ethan Cooper February 21st, 2008 02:56 PM

In all fairness we don't officially know it's been discontinued, it's just not currently available or listed on some of the larger online camera retailer websites.

Monday Isa February 21st, 2008 03:08 PM

It's the end of the FX7 :( Still considering your $5 offer (^_^)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&O=&sku=459129

Ethan Cooper February 21st, 2008 03:33 PM

All I could find on B&H was the PAL version. Whatever.
I'll gladly buy a second FX7 for $5. Heck, I might even go as high as $50.

Monday Isa February 21st, 2008 03:40 PM

$50 do I hear $51? In all seriousness though I guess the cam didn't perform well in sales. I tried looking for it on sony site and it's not there and now seeing the discontinued ad on the bhphoto page I'm bummed out. I do hope the next consumer cam they come out with if any is created the same way the fx1 was created. 3 CCD/CMOS sensors that are 1/3" or greater. As the original poster said between $2k-$4k.

Ethan Cooper February 21st, 2008 04:07 PM

1/3" or greater would be very nice thank you. Tapeless would be ok... but this is Sony so we'll either have memory stick duo (small gb size, higher price over the competition) or SxS which is kinda pricey for a FX7 replacement camera. Do you think they stick with tape for one more model revision cycle?
I wonder if HDV is going the way of the dodo and this FX replacement will go AVCHD? If it does they had better give it 17mbps or higher top end bitrate. At this point I'd actually like to see HDV stick around for another year or two while processing power gets faster and NLE's support AVCHD better before sinking some $$ in one of those guys.
To be honest, I'm actually getting tired of the endless cycle of "what will they release next".

And Monday, my offer now stands at $55.

Mike Burgess February 21st, 2008 04:56 PM

Well, my friend has an FX7 and I was saving to get one also, so we could combine our footage onto one DVD (via Pinnacle 10.8). But if I get a cam that does AVCHD, will I still be able to combine my footage with my friends HDV footage and edit it all on Pinnacle?

Maybe I should just up the offer to Monday $56.

Mike

Monday Isa February 21st, 2008 07:37 PM

(^_^)!!!!!!! So now we're at $56. I would just need to come up with a additional $3,944 to get my dream cam if it ever comes.

Ethan Cooper February 22nd, 2008 08:42 AM

Monday,
What camera are you thinking of buying for $4,000? That price doesn't fit many cameras I know. Expecting something at NAB?

I was just thinking, if the FX7 really is gone, then wouldn't that mean the same for the V1u since they essentially have the same lens, imagers, processors, whatnot. I'm still having a hard time believing that Sony would kill these guys off so quickly.

***EDIT***
sorry, just re-read your post and you're talking about a camera that isn't out yet. Nevermind, I'm a moron.
Oh, and I'll now give you $57

Monday Isa February 22nd, 2008 09:35 AM

Well the V1U is still in stock and available at B&H and other dealers. I do believe the V1 has a good market it has come across. People don't like the Big size of the Z1 EX1 and Z7 so they'd prefer the V1 in that instance but it doesn't transfer that well to the FX7. It's a good camera that has a very good hdv encoder, much better than the FX1 but that wasn't good enough. Going to 1/4" chips killed it in my opinion. I'm hoping they bring out a FX something very similar to the Z7 with non-removeable lens but it includes the CF recorder and is under $4,000. That would be sweet other wise I'm looking at Scarlet and the new Panasonic camcorder. We're now at $57 do I hear $58.

Monday

Ethan Cooper February 22nd, 2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 830842)
Well the V1U is still in stock and available at B&H and other dealers. I do believe the V1 has a good market it has come across....
...It's (FX7) a good camera that has a very good hdv encoder, much better than the FX1 but that wasn't good enough. Going to 1/4" chips killed it in my opinion.

But my point is that the FX7 and the V1u have the same 1/4" chips and encoder. Why would the FX7 not do well, but the V1u would? Sony has long done this with their cameras. The VX2000 was the "consumer" version of the PD150, the Fx1 was the "consumer" version of the Z1u and the FX7 was the "consumer" version of the V1u. Underneath the shell they were the exact same camera, the "pro" models offered XLR inputs and had a little more custom image control and a few more options enabled, but the imaging parts of the camera (CCD/CMOS chips, encoder) are the same. The biggest difference between the V1u and FX7 is the fact that Sony enabled the V1u to shoot 24p. Is this the factor that made the V1u a success and the FX7 get cut?

All I'm saying is that if the cameras are essentially the same, releasing a FX7 replacement means they must do the same for the V1u unless they break their long standing tradition of having the same basic guts in a "pro" and "consumer" camera.

Quote:

I'm hoping they bring out a FX something very similar to the Z7 with non-removeable lens but it includes the CF recorder and is under $4,000. That would be sweet other wise I'm looking at Scarlet and the new Panasonic camcorder. We're now at $57 do I hear $58.
Scarlet - whatever. When Red decides to tell us anything at all about it, then I'll say something. Till then forget it, it's pointless. I'm close to being a Red fan-boy, but their marketing is beginning to annoy me a bit. I'll save that rant for another day.

Now that new Panasonic really has my interest. I don't like a lot of what I've seen from AVCHD, and really don't like what I've heard about editing it native, but if this camera offers a higher bit-rate option that looks decent, if the encoder is new and improved and the major NLE's can handle AVCHD a bit better this coming year, then the HMC150 will be high on my list of cameras I'll be looking at. I'm very excited about the prospects of recording to inexpensive media since I do event work and would like to avoid dumping cards in the field. I'd much rather have a pocket full of cheap SD cards to shoot on all day. It's touted at the DXV replacement by Panasonic themselves, and we all know how wonderful that camera was. If this thing is the HD equivalent of the DVX, then I'm really, really going to take a long hard look at it.

And my offer stands firm at $57

Monday Isa February 22nd, 2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 830883)
But my point is that the FX7 and the V1u have the same 1/4" chips and encoder. Why would the FX7 not do well, but the V1u would? Sony has long done this with their cameras. The VX2000 was the "consumer" version of the PD150, the Fx1 was the "consumer" version of the Z1u and the FX7 was the "consumer" version of the V1u. Underneath the shell they were the exact same camera, the "pro" models offered XLR inputs and had a little more custom image control and a few more options enabled, but the imaging parts of the camera (CCD/CMOS chips, encoder) are the same. The biggest difference between the V1u and FX7 is the fact that Sony enabled the V1u to shoot 24p. Is this the factor that made the V1u a success and the FX7 get cut?...

And my offer stands firm at $57

I hear what your saying Ethan. I do believe as you stated the 24p made the difference between the 2 cams. Many people weren't very happy when the V1 was announced having 1/4" chips. I remember reading those posts here on DVinfo. They were saying they need 1/3" chips minimum. So some went the XHA1 route and some went the V1 route and some decided to wait. Not many went the FX7 route because of the lack of 24p and the camera having smaller chips. The FX1 has better lowlight more manual controls on the outside of the cam and not menu driven as heavily as the FX7 and the big difference for me which drives me crazy sometimes is the rolling shutter when I have flash photography near the cam. The partial exposure kills me. I do know people who have purchased the FX7 because of pure size but that isn't a very big market at all. Not sure what's going through sony's mind with the cam but the v1 has definitely performed better in sales or else it would be discontinued as well. It's a pity the FX7 was short lived. I hope it becomes a collectors item.

The panasonic avchd cam is very intriguing and I can't wait to get more info about it as NAB draws near.

Scarlet: well I agree with you but I still would like to see what it's all about but we're given no info till NAB.

$57 going once. $57 Going twice

Mike Burgess March 8th, 2008 03:04 PM

I see where the price of any FX7s still around from the most popular and reputable dealers is really shooting up big time. And no sign of anything from Sony about a replacement. I am so bummed out.

Mike

Monday Isa March 8th, 2008 08:17 PM

Let's wait for NAB. A videog from another board mentioned that he is suppose to be doing a shootout with sony reps at NAB with numerous sony cams and another new one. He has said nothing else, no hints, just another cam. Here's hoping that they create a consumer model from it that has 1/3 inch chips at least. Interested in a FX7 Mike? (^_^) offer is at $57 (inflation value $1,900)