When will we see a new prosumer cam in the $2-$4k range from Sony or Canon? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old April 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Well I guess the only options we have is still a FX1 Canon A1 The Panasonic HMC-150 and Scarlet. Ethan you still want the FX7? I'ma upgrade it to another FX1 :( since there's nothing new to catch my attention. I really need that extra stop of low light.
ah man.. I wished you had gone with the Canon A1. I'm thinking about getting this camera and live in Laurel myself (not far from you). I thought we could go on some shoots together maybe. The EX1 is definitely out of my price range (According to what it's going for on B&H Photo)
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM   #47
Major Player

Hi Shahryar,
I didn't buy the EX1 yet. I have quite a bit of work in the corporate end coming this summer and this camera is the one that will handle the job the best. I will also use it for the events I do. I did look closely at the other cams currently The Canon A1 and the Sony Z7 and I didn't like either for personal reasons. I like the blazing fast speed of the ex1 to the laptop and the fact that it is solid state which is just easier than capturing footage which I hate to do for the last 5 years. It has the 1/2" CMOS sensors and the lowlight is a nice step in the right direction. People will say use a light which is correct but when it is on camera lighting your image becomes flat unless it is for fill purpose. Keep in touch and send me a demo. Maybe we can do a few things together soon.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hi Shahryar,
...Keep in touch and send me a demo. Maybe we can do a few things together soon.
Hey Monday, thanks for the offer to send you a demo. But I should warn you that I'm still at a fairly beginner level. I'm more of a hobbyist in this trade right now so it might be a little while before I get you a demo.

The camera I currently have is the Sony HC1 and I have owned this camera since Spring 2006. The reason I bought it was to record myself doing stand up and maybe try to get a short film going with it. But I never got as deep with it as I would have liked to. I never bought any other lenses, external mic, lighting, etc. Only starting a year ago did I finally jump into getting an audio solution going with my purchases of the Sony RH1 Hi-MD recorder (with the advice of this thread over here:
http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php...5910&hl=comedy
I'm still yet to get the AT822 that has been recommended though).

about a week ago, I saw a deal to get the Canon HV30 for $650+shipping from B&H photo and I thought what the heck, and picked one up. However, after thinking about this further (I have this time since it won't ship til April 28th), I realized that instead of making a lateral move, I may perhaps want to make a forward move.

So I came to dvinfo and started looking around, trying to do some research. I think the next step for me is the XH-A1 or maybe the HVX-200 (but I think the Panasonic might be a bit outside the range and I'm scared about the costs of P2 cards). Of course this thread caught my eye because the topic is exactly where I am.

I liked your last post when you said this:
Quote:
I like the blazing fast speed of the ex1 to the laptop and the fact that it is solid state which is just easier than capturing footage which I hate to do for the last 5 years. It has the 1/2" CMOS sensors and the lowlight is a nice step in the right direction. People will say use a light which is correct but when it is on camera lighting your image becomes flat unless it is for fill purpose
That helped me learn a bit. This thread also caught my eye and people gave me some feedback:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...130#post863130

The thread caught my eye because in recording myself, I record others performing on the same night and would love a solution where I can quickly get their DVDs out while holding onto my set in HD (so that's why recording to a CF would be perfect).

I'm still learning so if you have any advice to offer, then I'm all ears.

Shahryar
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:54 AM   #49
Major Player

Well Monday, I am glad you sold your FX7. Sorry I was unable to get it. Oh well. I bought an SR11 as a stop gap until I can pick up a prosumer cam (or some such thing) in the $2k-$2.5k range if they ever exist in the future.

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:50 AM   #50
Major Player

Hey Mike I've heard some good reviews about the Sony SR11/12 series. Let me know how you like it. Still bummed out that nothing came out but in the end we still have cameras now that will make us money.

Monday
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM   #51
Major Player

Hey Monday, good to hear from ya. The SR11 is very nice; produces a nice picture. Don't know how the picture compares to the FX7, but will find out in a week or two when my buddy (and his FX7) and I go out shooting in Chicago. But editing it with its AVCHD system will be very hard. Am going to have to wait some for the editing software to get its act together (totally, with out missing features).

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:12 AM   #52
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burgess View Post
I bought an SR11 as a stop gap until I can pick up a prosumer cam (or some such thing) in the $2k-$2.5k range if they ever exist in the future.
I think it's much like the current gas price situation in that they've gotten us accustomed to paying a higher rate and I don't see them suddenly making them cheaper which sucks for a lot of us.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #53
Trustee

Hey Monday, guess what just came in the mail. Everything seems to be in perfect working order, and I was delighted to find an extra NP-570 in the package. Did you mean to do that or are you going to be surprised next time you go out to shoot?
Didn't use this thing much did you?

-Ethan Cooper
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #54
Major Player

Hey Ethan,
I threw in well placed in the extra 570 as I have 4 of them and wanted to get rid of some. I haven't used that cam much at all. I believe it's close to 87hrs. Practically brand new. I wanted to give you more batteries as some of them will now be useless but you said you had to many as well. So I refrained. Let me know how it goes on your next shoot with it. Now with you having 2 FX7 you should have no reason to not offer widescreen :p Just kidding. Thanks for helping me upgrade to a EX1 will let you know when that comes in (^_^)

Monday
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #55
Trustee

Quote:
Now with you having 2 FX7 you should have no reason to not offer widescreen
You mean no reason to blow up the VX2000 shots to cut in with my FX7 widescreen stuff. Yay for true widescreen workflow.

Quote:
Thanks for helping me upgrade to a EX1 will let you know when that comes in
Be sure to rub it in with statements like, "god this beats the holy hell out of the p.o.s. FX7" or "I feel sorry for you poor suckers stuck using inferior products". I'll be looking forward to what I'm sure will be a glowing report. If you've never had the pleasure of overcranked slowmo like the HVX200, you'll pee yourself with glee. Wish I had enough money to get a couple of those. Maybe I should start calling you MoneyBags Isa.

-Ethan Cooper
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #56
Major Player

Nah no money bags isa. I'm broke like many here (^_^). I'll make sure to really dog not only the FX7 but also the FX1 as soon as I get it. I have a few erks about the FX1 but not as bad as I did with the FX7. I wish I still had just one more stop on the FX1 and progressive but now I have it with the EX1 and have under cranking (oooh) and over cranking (aaaah) and yes Better shallow DOF (duuuuhhnn). Can't wait. Lastly no more tape capture!!!!! Take Care Ethan we'll be in touch.

Monday
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #57
Regular Crew

A bit OT, but I'd like to see the XLH1A as a TRUE shoulder-mounted camera...
Colin Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #58
Major Player

Had the SR11 for awhile now and really like it. BUT, am still waiting for a decent FX7 replacement. And what with our economy, I now will probably not be able to afford it anyways if it were to come out now.

Timing is everything....

Well, there's luck too.

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51