FCS 3... anyone care to guess? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old April 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #61
MPS Digital Studios

Check this out about OpenCL:

5-Fold Increase in Video Encoding with OpenCL-like Technology - Mac Rumors

Heath
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #62
Major Player

FCS 3... anyone care to guess?

I'm getting ready to purchase Final Cut Studio 2. But in December I bought a new iMac and iWorks, and then a month later the new version of iWorks came out. Of course, Apple's been hounding me to upgrade (at a really good price, of course). I don't want that to happen again. If FCS 3 is about to hit the market, I can wait a few weeks instead of having to buy an upgrade. Any inside information?
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Does FCS2 do what you need it to? If so, buy it.

I won't be buying FCS3, when it does come out, until there are enough "test pilots" who have found out what is broken in it and Apple has made the necessary fixes to it to make it worthwhile to me.

And BTW, thanks to all the "test pilots" (early adopters) out there. I was one for FCP 1.0.0 and again for FCS2 so I think I'll sit the next couple out.
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #64
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Simpson View Post
Any inside information?
As a forum rule any speculative threads belong in the "Area 51" category; and there's already a very old and large thread on this topic. Read that before continuing with this thread.
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #65
Major Player

Apple's big announcements are typically kept under heavy lock-and-key. Leaks from theme are very rare. No one here will have any facts until Apple let's us have them, which will be whenever they announce. Maybe that will be during the WWDC in June, maybe it will be later in the year. Heck, could be next MacWorld conference in 2010 for all anyone here can know.

Anything else is speculation which, as Robert pointed out, belongs elsewhere.
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #66
Inner Circle

Of course it's all speculation.

And while this is probably wishful thinking, this sounds tempting:

Final Cut Studio 3: WWDC 2009 Mac Soda

That being said: the normal upgrade path of Final Cut Studio has been about every 2 years. So, just looking at the statistics, it should make FCS 3 release imminent, so maybe not the best time to buy.
But if you need it, you need it. You'll pay a lower upgrade price anyhow if FCS 3 is released, and FCS 2 is still an awesome value for the money.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #67
Obstreperous Rex

Moved per suggestion to Area 51 where it belongs.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Moved per suggestion to Area 51 where it belongs.
While I do appreciate the wealth of knowledge this forum provides, I can say that I am oftentimes reluctant to post here because there seems to be an attitude of officiousness at times... especially in the Mac forums.

Forgive me for thinking "Non-linear Editing on the Mac" would be the place to ask a what I thought was a legitimate question about editing on the Mac, and hoping someone here might have some insight.

I feel like such a dork. I promise I'll be more careful in the future.
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Charles,

I started the long running thread they're talking about from before in the Mac section and it got moved to Area 51. I've had another post on this forum moved too. No big deal.

Please keep posting. I've been with Macs since the beginning and FCP too, but I still can't come close to tapping into the full potential of them. I need all the experience and inspiration from the other Mac users I can get.

On topic, I'm waiting it out for FCS 3, Snow Leopard, and hopefully a new mid range sized Mac Pro from the current upgrade. I already have FCS1 to use until then though so I can wait.

Thanks for starting the topic up again.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #70
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Simpson View Post
While I do appreciate the wealth of knowledge this forum provides, I can say that I am oftentimes reluctant to post here because there seems to be an attitude of officiousness at times... especially in the Mac forums.

Forgive me for thinking "Non-linear Editing on the Mac" would be the place to ask a what I thought was a legitimate question about editing on the Mac, and hoping someone here might have some insight.

I feel like such a dork. I promise I'll be more careful in the future.
The mission of DVinfo is to share *factual* information either about new technology and "how-to use it" or assist others in their self-help troubleshooting efforts. Speculative threads or anything that is pure guesswork falls into rumour-mill category since it's neither factual nor assistive in it's nature and thus falls outside the intended purpose of this forum.

Unfortunately when people see the word "forum" these days they assume that it's a veritable free-for-all and can post whatever they choose whether the information is purposeful or not, and many other forums are exactly that, with thousands of useless posts full of rants, baseless opinions etc.

Since it's inception the forum owner, Chris, has made a strong effort to distance DVinfo from the preponderance of blatherskite that exists on the 'net and to keep nonsensical posts to a minimum and keep the information factual, useful and timely.

We are all curious about what various companies might be doing with their product lines but because guesswork isn't factual information Chris created the Area 51 category, so that those of us who just can't help but ask the unanswerable questions can have a place to do just that.

It's important to keep in mind that DVinfo is free to all it's users - and I hope that in these lean economic times that it's able to stay that way. And from my perspective speculative threads have no real value; it's a curiosity at best but doesn't help solve a problem and it's not sharing usable information, so I'd consider it a bonus that the Area 51 category even exists.
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #71
Major Player

Charlie, don't feel like a dork and keep posting. This place is augmented by its members, old and new. But just so you understand, you weren't really asking a question about editing on a Mac, but rather asking for information about something that does not yet exist, and therefor was a solicitation for speculation. It is on that merit that your message belongs in Area 51 rather than the Editing on a Mac.

We're pretty open and friendly people here. We love to share information, but we do try to make an effort to keep the place tidy.

Bottom line: welcome to the forums and don't feel embarrassed. :-)
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #72
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post
Yeah, what he said. (^_^)
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #73
Major Player

Wwdc

If Apple doesn't announce FCS 3 at WWDC it probably isn't coming anytime soon.

June 8th is right around the corner so I'd give it a wait.

Sometimes I have problems believing that FCS3 will be reliant on Snow Leopard but there is a good bit of sensibility in that suggestions.

1. Snow Leopard is the first OS X version that is 64-bit through and through.
2. Snow Leopard is ushering in Quicktime X and though it's primarily playback half of what many people do is playback media they've captured.
3. PowerPC is history so FCS3 is likely going to be Cocoa and may be 64-bit only.

If this happens there will be complaints from those with G5 computers but if the performance and workflow gains are worth buying a new computer then it makes sense.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #74
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post
Charlie, don't feel like a dork and keep posting. This place is augmented by its members, old and new. But just so you understand, you weren't really asking a question about editing on a Mac, but rather asking for information about something that does not yet exist, and therefor was a solicitation for speculation. It is on that merit that your message belongs in Area 51 rather than the Editing on a Mac.

We're pretty open and friendly people here. We love to share information, but we do try to make an effort to keep the place tidy.

Thank you for your positive feedback. I'll try not to bother anyone with a "preponderance of blatherskite," as indicated in the above reply.
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:39 AM   #75
Major Player

My bet for FCS 3 is NAB 2009. Big money, big money, big money!

Dag nabbit...

Well shoot, since NAB was last month, I guess the house wins again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51