FCS 3... anyone care to guess? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #76
MPS Digital Studios

I've been here for over 6 years and I love getting news, joining in the discussions, etc. Don't be shy!

I heard FCS 3 would debut now at WWDC 09 in June, but that was about a month ago or so, and I haven't heard anything since then. I'd love to see a FCS 3 by the fall.

Heath
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Maybe we can finally move this to the mac thread now?

Final Cut Studio 3.0, Final Cut Server update in Apple's pipeline - AppleInsider

Last edited by Denise Wall; May 30th, 2009 at 02:08 AM.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:34 PM   #78
Inner Circle

AppleInsider | Final Cut Studio 3 to bundle major Motion, Soundtrack upgrades
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM   #79
MPS Digital Studios

I saw that earlier; if true, what a disappointment for DVD Studio Pro users (which is all of us, pretty much, using FCS). No major upgrade since 2005 (4.0), only a minor bump up from 4.1 (2007). And NO Blu-ray?! Sheesh, that's not great.

FCP 7 offers real-time editing? Of course, every version does but you still have to render any filters, transitions, etc. Will we see no rendering for some FX?

If this is all true, I'm a little disappointed.

Heath
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM   #80
Major Player

If this is true, big disappointment. I guess the only advantage for upgrading is with FCS3 being 64 bit apps (hopefully) we'll finally have FCP be able to access more than 2.5 GB of ram. Boy do I hate when I have 18 GB ram sitting in the computer and FCP only can use 2.5 (not to mention the plugins I have that are RAM dependent).

Either way, without Blu-Ray support (REAL Blu-Ray support) I may have to look elsewhere. Though I have to admit that Toast does an OK job (if you don't care about menus).

THIS JUST IN!!! FCP for iphone! Now we see why there was a 2 year wait. Yeah! (just kidding...)

Again, I was kidding about FCP for iphone. :)

Todd
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:54 PM   #81
MPS Digital Studios

Of course, before I ranted a bit there I should've said what I also thought: even if true, a lot of this info/rumor stuff we're reading is probably only part of what's going on. For all we know we could be seeing 64-bit apps here, little-to-no rendering times, Blu-ray support (at least we can encode in FCP 6.x/Compressor 3.x), and more.

Sorry to help fan the flames, but obviously we need to take a wait-and-see attitude to see what Apple actually does.

heath
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:13 AM   #82
Regular Crew

Well, I may have heard enough. Sadly, I guess I'll stick with my old mac and FCS1. I'm sure Apple won't miss my measly 4k.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:10 AM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Giglio View Post
Either way, without Blu-Ray support (REAL Blu-Ray support) I may have to look elsewhere. Though I have to admit that Toast does an OK job (if you don't care about menus).
Toast makes beautiful BD discs with footage from my XH A1, but it has two problems.

1) No way to define useful chapter points.

2) Sloooooooooooooooow.

I could live with slow if it had a simple window to scrub through and drop in chapter points.

I'm willing to wait another week before hitting the panic button over DVDSP updates, but I can pretty much guarantee that I won't be upgrading to FCS3 if it doesn't burn BD, even if it's nothing more than Toast level functionality.

Now the magic question is whether to get the Adobe suite for mac or bail out and start using Vegas with Windows 7.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM   #84
New Boot

Final Cut Studio 3

I have FCS1 and still waiting for FCS3 to come out. Is there anyone waiting for it? May be on June 12.
Jose Dominguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:54 PM   #85
Major Player

>Is there anyone waiting for it?

No. Only you Jose ;-)

>May be on June 12.

And then again, maybe not.

-------

Rumors are just rumors. Those who know won't tell. Those who tell don't know. If you've waited this long then waiting some more won't hurt :-)
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:58 PM   #86
Major Player

We *might* get a peak at FCS 3 at the WWDC but it won't be shipping then. I doubt it will be shipping before Snow Leopard. And once it does ship give it another month or so for Apple to fix the worst of the bugs.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:12 AM   #87
New Boot

Jose

You are not alone! I have the same set up and am waiting to update.

I await with baited breath, (well not really as I use a toothbrush on a regular basis).

Regards,

Max
Max Coyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #88
Regular Crew

I'm in the middle of several projects and I've been waiting to upgrade to even FCS2 for the longest time.

I bought the FCS2 upgrade earlier this week and had to take a risk, and now I see that FCS3 may not offer Blu-Ray (which is what I wanted from FCS3 first thing)...but I'm not going to lose faith just yet. Apple has disappointed but has also continued to surprise us...so we'll see what happens at WWDC...
Chris Estrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #89
Major Player

OK, it might help some people with AVCHD, but no BD support (hardware and software) there is hardly any point in getting the upgrade. FCS2 Compressor was a major step back imo (as far as simplicity). To be honest I'd rather buy a new version on Clipwrap2 instead of spending a wad of money on minor upgrades
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #90
Major Player

The WWDC keynote is today at 10:00 am pacific (1:00 eastern) so we only have a few hours to go before we can be officially disappointed :)

Macrumors compiled a list of rumors, and of course most of them revolve around that damn phone. It's supposed to do video now (shudder) so maybe we'll get iMovie for iPhone.

They also listed a little info on Snow Leopard and some possible laptop bumps, but that's about it.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51