The Notorius Big GL3 / XM3 Thread (HDV yada yada) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old August 31st, 2004, 01:51 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Canon said something along the lines of "this is the last SD camcorder that Canon will release of this magnitude". I'm sure there will be a GL2 succesor.
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 06:16 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Gl3 ?

is it possible that Canon is going to use HD on GL3?
just guess, including GL3.
Mark Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:23 AM   #18
Major Player

Highly unlikely........but, the market may force them to consider it
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #19
Regular Crew

that comment was directed to the XL series not the GL
Old October 7th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #20
Major Player

The real question is: Will it have 24p?
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #21
Major Player

GL3 ? What GL3 ? Has anyone seen anything announced about a replacement for the GL2 (other than speculation on the forums)?

Rebate for GL2 was supposed to end on 09/30/04. Here it is 10/08/04. Did you see any announcement from Canon ? It would have been nice, but then so would the return of a good, cold glass of 5 cent beer.
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Do you think it will be black or perhaps dark grey?
Old October 9th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #23
Major Player

I think the GL3 would probably be a summer '05 announcement at the earliest. The XL2 hasnt even built up a head of steam yet.
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:40 PM   #24
Major Player

canon XM3 (gm3) is on the way

HI

Just wanted to let you know that I heard from serious sources (canon buddies) that Canon is working on a xm3 version. Large electronic shops deal with shorter product cyvles and the xm2 is an old model which is dificult to find in shops nowadays . Even an extra money fee is given to customers in the States just ot buy the xm2. The xm3 will not offer framework. Why? It is posible to add framework, but Canon deliberately takes that option out just that it not compets with his brother XL2. I will be keeping you informed about news.

Thought you might be interested. SO next time canon brings out the xl3 version, we all know it is time for the xm4. The same thing happened with the sony and panasonic products.

JOse
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #25
Major Player

Gl3: xm3....when?

HI

I know, I know...I heard these rumours too. WHen is the gl/xm3 coming out? So many discount nowadays on the gl2. This means nothing more that a new specie is going to taken over the low-end side of the semipro camworld. I hope so. Can;t wait to get a glimp of that one. I hope they will improve red colours and add a XLR panthom power thing on it. :)
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
I couldn't see a GL3 being HDV unless the model comes out in a couple years, like if they released an XL2S, and the GL3 at the same time
That is it. The gl3 will NEVER be introduced without the introduction of a similar product in a xl3 version. Hard disk recording is expensive and basically at this moment only used it he upper part of the market. Canon would LOOSe lots of sales of their new xl2 cam, if they one day decided to introduce a HD gl3 cam. So I think within2 years, things could be changing cause you need to remember one thing:

HD cams are the future. NO dvd-recording cams. No DV cams. NO minidisk-cams. NO!

HD -CAms are the future. But it takes a nit longer to perfect this technology.

I think the new gl3 cam will be something like the xl2) but without the extra stuff like the 24 fps option.
Old November 4th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #27
Major Player

Well, this thread will probably get sent to the Area 51 section, but my prediction is that Canon is going to go HDV with the next GL-type camera (remember they said they wouldn't make any more GL-series cameras, likewise XL-series) so this will probably be called something else like BR-1 or something (I dunno, I just made this up) and it will probably be something along the lines of the Sony FX-1. Either that or they'll just drop the next GL-type camera and stick with the smaller cameras like the ZR-series, but make them much higher quality, perhaps the first true consumer HDV cameras at $600-800 a pop? I don't know, but to be honest it's too early to tell and even to speculate as they haven't even gotten the XL2's in high distribution yet! =P
Old November 9th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #28
Major Player

I don't think we'll see HDV for under $2000 until there is a common (like DVD) output format and large proliferation of HDTV's to support it. I think it'll take at least a few more years for HDV to get to that level. I mean the FX-1 @ $3,700 is supposed to be consumer, but come on (don't forget that $3,700 doesn't cover any accessories). The Pro version will come out at $7,000 if I'm not mistaken. HDV will come down to the real consumer level faster than DV did, but not much faster.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #29
RED Code Chef

As predicted, the thread has been moved.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #30
Tourist

Many thanks to all and especially to Jose. Indeed I would be very interested for all news relating to a new 'gl3' or 'xm3'.

- m.
Marina May is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51