Free work is Dumb work. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old August 28th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Free work is Dumb work.

Too the point.
-I like what i do.
--I do it for free usually
---People act like i have to do it, even though it was my idea.

Basically, im making a music video for some kids i know and they bitch and complain the whole time even though, all they have to do is play the song, it's not that hard. I know im not all professional and everything...but ive took band pics, filmed int he studio and concerts and they still expect me to BUY there CD when it should just be handed over to me honestly...

but, i still got the footage haha.

(this reminds me of one of those like, live jounal things)

Dear Diary^
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Make them buy the video ;)
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:09 AM   #3

LOL --

Giuseppe, why does this not surprise me? Just hang in there, they'll come around (maybe).

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Giuseppe, I agree that they should at least give you a copy of the CD if you're working for free or deferred. I would just stay away from ingrates like that if I were you. You may like the thread below if you think these guys are bad. Just take a look at some of these hell shoots.

www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=33082
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

...classic instance of 'mutual exploitation' so far as I can tell.

You at least deserve a T-Shirt or a CD. But, you'll need to fight for it!
Well wishes.
Brian Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Just put a giant watermark that says "Free Version" over all the footage and tell them that un-watermarked footage costs money. :-)
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Watermarking

Yep, the watermark is a great way to allow a demo to be seen and at the same time make sure that everyone who sees it knows who produced it. That's the security method that I use for projects that I have produced in the past for deferred or no pay to get experience or just have a demo of my work. It's also great when sending a proof to show that is just what it is, unfinished. If you do use a watermark, make sure it's near the center so it can't be masked out. I would recommend at least placing duplicated text/graphic lines in the top, middle and lower third if not just a subtle wallpaper background watermark covering the entire viewing area. With watermarking one thing's for sure, I may never get paid, but everybody that sees it will damn sure know who did it. Another good thing is that watermarking can be annoying to the viewer so the presenter may get so tired of telling people what and why it's there that they will just pay you for the clean version!
Old September 15th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McManimie
Just put a giant watermark that says "Free Version" over all the footage and tell them that un-watermarked footage costs money. :-)

Ha ha ha!!

I agree, if I did happen to be doing free work and they told me I needed to pay for the CD, I'd tell them to F off and leave, then wait for the call on my cell, begging forgiveness.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #9
New Boot

Well on that topic :)

Great idea for a watermark, but what should it say!?

How about:

Invoice #32901827

Or

Oustanding Production Costs $3450.78

Or

Introducing, "The Deadbeats"

Or

Account Overdue

LOL
Matt Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #10
Slash Rules!

You should lie and tell people: "I don't know what the deal is. . .there's something wrong with the editing software. . .this watermark thing won't go away unless I get paid. It's weird, I know, but what can you do?"
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Bill and Matt.....

LMFAO while PMUOTF!!!
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #12
Major Player

Hey guys,

My producer and I have a 7 minute promotional DVD which we have already sent out, with more to follow. We're trying to get funding for a doc about a well known jazz musician. Can somone explain what exactly is a "watermark" so we can perhaps protect our next batch of DVD's.

Thanks much in advance,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey Stephanie. A watermark is simply a graphic or whatever you want that is superimposed over your video. It is similar to the security features used on financial documents or still images. Usually it is semi-transparent, like a lower third, ID you see on the networks. Just make any kind of graphic or line of text and super it over your video so that it can't be used without seeing your info for the reasons that I posted earlier. You want to make the transparency just visible to be seen but not enough to interfere with viewing to make it too distracting and then you want to strategically place it so that it can't be masked out. Another great use for this is to identify a particular version or that it is a proof for a project. If/when the client is ready to purchase or sometimes only after they pay, you send them the clean version.

Last edited by James Emory; September 16th, 2005 at 01:50 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51