Successor to GL2 soon? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old September 26th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #16

If they release anything that will perform like the GL2 at the same or lower price point as the GL2, I will eat it up in a heart beat. There's no point in HD if you can't deliver it on DVD... for me at least. And the GL2's have some kinks that keep haunting me, at least. I'd be perfectly happy with full-proof GL2's! If there are new options that warrant more $$$, like the possibility to shoot in HD, I'll make that jump too if the cost is not laughable.

Interesting read about HD, posted by another person here somewhere. I saved the link to show clients that request HD for wedding videography:

http://dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #17
Trustee

All I want is a GL2 with 1080/24p HDV. Don't need interchangeable lenses. Just a Sony FX1 with 24p. That's it. I'd pay $3500 for it. How hard could that be?
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I think that's pretty much what all of us want. But with the price of the new XL so high, I'm afraid the GL HDV may come in closer to $5,000 or else it likely won't have all the features we want.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #19
Trustee

The GL2 was originally like $2000 fully loaded right? A fully loaded XL1s was something like $5000 right? So, 40% of the price of the XL1H would put a GL1H right about $3500.

Who knows. I just hope. If Canon can make 24F with 1080/interlaced CCDs, then we already have that on an FX1 or Z1, so it shouldn't be too much more than one of those cameras. Especially if Canon wants to compete with the FX1 or Z1.

Honestly, if it doesn't have 24F, then why would anyone buy it over an FX1 or Z1?
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #20
Inner Circle

If I remember right, the original retail price for a GL2 was closer to $3,000. It eventually settled down to about $2,200. B&H now has it for $2,300, and there appears to be some kind of a rebate for $250.
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Simply put, the Canon XL H1 does *not* compete with the Sony FX1 or Z1. Sony will not lose any FX1 / Z1 sales to Canon over the XL H1. It's a completely different camera intended for a completely different market.
I don't think this is entirely true. The FX1 and Z1 have been used as B cameras or in environments where larger cameras (either film or digital) wouldn't easily fit (e.g., on JAG). I can see where the H1, though larger than the Sony cameras, would be used instead, especially if the image were a little better and 24F were as good as 24p. For the longest time (well, 10 months), the FX1 and Z1 were the only game in town for this sort of thing, but now there are choices, and people who might have considered the FX1 or Z1 despite some misgivings (eg, no 24p) will look at the HVX and H1.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

I will concede to you on that point, Lawrence, but I think that particular application is a relatively small slice of the Z1 / FX1 sales pie. My statement there was more or less in reference to the individual buyers, you know, the small shop owners, Joe or Jane Average making the transition to HD.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I will concede to you on that point, Lawrence, but I think that particular application is a relatively small slice of the Z1 / FX1 sales pie. My statement there was more or less in reference to the individual buyers, you know, the small shop owners, Joe or Jane Average making the transition to HD.
I haven't seen stats as to who's buying the FX1 and Z1, but because there will be a several prosumer HD choices, Sony's overall market share can't help but drop (possibly significantly), especially since these alternatives appear to be more adaptable, albeit more expensive.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Successor to GL2

Does anyone have any idea when Canon will release a successor to the GL2? I'm basically ready to buy a GL2 to use as a second camera for shooting weddings and various sports footage. I own an XL2 but can't really afford to buy another XL2, so I figured a GL2 was the next best thing. If anyone disagrees please let me know what you all suggest. In any case, I'd hate to buy a GL2 only to have it's successor come out three to four months after I buy a GL2. This would be especially hard for me considering the GL2's "age" and I figure to drop 3 grand by the time it's all said and done.
Tom Woodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #25
Inner Circle

I think you can safely count on the successor to the GL2 being released sometime between tomorrow and the next five years. ;)
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moore
The GL2 was originally like $2000 fully loaded right? A fully loaded XL1s was something like $5000 right? So, 40% of the price of the XL1H would put a GL1H right about $3500. <snip>
I'm not sure if you can compare the models like that. I think a substantial portion of the XL1H price is related to the hardware for uncompressed video and gen lock (and whatever other studio features I might have forgotten).

Considering the competition price points, I'd peg an XL1H HDV-Only model around $7500 MSRP. I figure Canon could probably squeek a $1200 premium over the HD100 based on 1080/24F vs 720/24P and, probably, a sharper lens. That's really a lot of guess work, but hey, its Area 51.

So the XL1H has about a 50% premium over its SD sibling.
GL2 was what - about $2700 at intro? I can't remember.
If - that's IF - Canon uses a an XL1H pricing model on the GL1H, I guess it would come in right around 4K.

So there we have it. The GL1H/GL3HDV will be have a minimum price of $3500 (a given, considering that people are apparently ready to line up at that price point), possibly $4000 and maybe as high as $5000. It may or may not have 24F (I doubt it). I suspect it will have 30F (a carry over from the popular 30/Frame Mode of the GL1/2). It may come out this year, but its looking more like next year.

That's what I love about Area 51. You can read for great lengths of time and often come away knowing absolutely nothing :)

One thing I do know is that Canon will have to carefully set the price and features of the GL1H if they're going to compete with Sony. If its priced at $3500+ without a good 24F mode (meaning 1/48th shutter and proper 24 frame motion), it'll be extremely similar to the FX1. Additionally the HVR-A1 might offer some competition as well. And without some really nice features, some non-pro users will just wait altogether and buy a cheap HC1 to hold them over.

Philip Williams
www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Successor to GL2

Good speculation. I suppose I'm going to just buy a GL2 and hope that it's successor isn't released for at least 8 months from now. Hopefully by then I'll have the cash to pick up a third camera.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:48 AM   #28
Regular Crew

My friend over in america has had a go at the new canon xl h1 camcorder and if you compare the to the sony hdv cameras he said its nothin like each other hdv camera. He also said the new hdv canon camera is much more its basicly as good as the $50000.00 cameras. this new camera is much better than the fx 1. This camera is capable of doing live shots and where i live. i no some tv channels can wait for the new xl h1 to come out because, well aleast i would say that this camera is way under price.
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:20 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Ahh...if only I could afford the XL H1...but I'm am limited to my options due to limiting finances.
Old October 17th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #30
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams
That's what I love about Area 51. You can read for great lengths of time and often come away knowing absolutely nothing :)
Alas, that's the impetus behind this forum. ;-)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51