Has Sony lost its focus? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old January 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #16
Major Player

About a year ago, I was fortunate enough to sit down and have a talk with a distinguished member of the ASC who's been a big proponent, and innovator for digital cinematography. We discussed the future of digital cinematography, and what it's taken to get to the point we're at now and where it’ll be in the next ten years or so.

What surprised me the most, even though he's used Sony F900 cameras for many productions, he actually despises - absolutely despises the company - and to some extent, the cameras too. He, among many other cinematographers have always been there in Sony’s face, invited I might add, to push for improvements in design and recording capabilities, formats, etc. However, Sony never really listened to them. In so many words, he basically told me that within their circles, Sony is widely regarded as hard headed, arrogant, and unresponsive to any of their ideas.

From what I gathered, this had been going on for some time, and many cinematographers are sticking with film; not just out of familiarity and loyalty to the format, it’s also because they just didn't want to deal with Sony.

Seriously, these incredibly knowledgeable filmmakers from the ASC, BSC, and other distinguished cinema organizations are essentially the architects for future cinema. As of late, we’ve seen the release of the Genesis camera, which was co-developed between Sony and Panavision, and certainly is an innovative camera, but it's something that was achievable much earlier and I’m certain with even better features. If Sony was dragging their heels just to achieve a match made in Hollywood Heaven and provide an ultra high end solution to the studio filmmakers with the Genesis, how long do you expect to see Sony come around for a heart to heart with the indie filmmaker?
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #17
Major Player

two small items - vx1000 & fx1- didn't these get left out ? If It wasn't for sony where would the dv revolution have come from? sharp ? And yes Apples' a great company but it's gone up its' share of deadends. Don't look to individual companys as solutions. The market as a whole will work it out. I , for one , am extremely happy with what sonys' done. Looks like ,so far they've pretty well sewnup the hdv market. Of course the Canon is better than the fx1 , but at 3x the price. Go Sony and all the others combined. Always 2 steps forward , 1 back- that's life. Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51