XH A1 $250 Rebate speculation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old May 20th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XH A1 $250 Rebate speculation

Seems like whenever Mr. Canon offers a rebate something is up with that camera model. So isn't it a little early to be seeing a $250 rebate on the A1 and an even more suspicious $500! rebate on the G1? Does this mean a new camera is on its way, maybe a single jumbo chip CMOS version of the A1/G1?? Or maybe a slight modification to the A1/G1? Its odd considering its price tag that the XL-H1 has no such rebates.
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Jack, I disagree. In many cases, Canon rebates do not precede new models directly. It's their common practice to offer cashback to promote sales. I think A1/G1 are here to stay quite a while and recent rebate is all about competition.

It's very likely next models in this class will sport CMOS sensors, but I doubt they will go for larger size. Larger sensors means larger, heavier and more expensive optics - not easy to put all that in $4k ballpark. Sony for example actually had to go for even smaller sensors in V1/FX7 to achieve competitive price.
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If they should be offering a rebate on any model, it should be the XL-H1 -- unless you see the interchangeable lens system + shoulder mount capabilities worth the additional $3k+ when in comparison to the XH-G1, then, spend your money there, but the XL-H1 is very much overpriced in my opinion.
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Contributor

Canon has always used rebates as a marketing tool; it has nothing to do with a new model. Apparently it's working because I heard from one dealer they're selling so well he can't keep them in stock.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Canon has been offering a rebate on the GL2 for several years now. It doesn't mean anything for the future of the model.
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I am not trying to go over the top here, I understand that Canon and other companies routinely offer rebates for various reasons. But from what I have heard the A1/G1's are selling like hot cakes as is. But why would a company cut prices when something is selling so well? Seems kinda odd.

And I agree with Zack, if anything is in need of a rebate the XL-H1 is it.
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Personally I was a little bummed when they came out with the offer. I had purchased my A1 one week prior to the start of the rebate period. :(

Stacy
Stacy Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Wrangler

You might be able to push that issue and get a rebate anyway. Speak with the dealer who sold you the camera.

You might not get anywhere, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:37 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Pity I came in late here, we have seen this sort of discussion before (XL, GL2 rebates etc).

Canon is giving an $250 rebate on the A1, there must be an A2 coming soon, now all we have to do is wait an couple of years for it to come ;).
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51