Apple seminars "Meet the New Macs" scheduled right after NAB... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old March 26th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Trustee

Apple seminars "Meet the New Macs" scheduled right after NAB...

Anyone else notice that on Apple's seminars listserve, there's a brand new listing starting April 17th - three days after NAB starts - with a widespread group of seminars called "Meet the New Macs."

I have no idea whether this is tied to any NAB announcement, or it's just apple seminars as usual. But could it be be a portent of things to come...??
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It is probably because of the new Intel chip-sets and processors being released in May, some of which are long overdue. The new mobile chipset will have the sort of video hardware acceleration that the GM950 was thought to get when Apple converted over. One of the Intel mobile chip-sets should have an DirectX 10 level GPU. There is also rumor that Intel is going AMD (probably Nvidia) but this might just be them keeping options up their sleeves.

Altogether, I have not bought an Apple Macbook, or Mini, not only because of price, but because the video hardware inside them was less than at all desirable for video stuff I was looking at (or for playback at HD resolutions in newer formats, unless you went to the top end). Apple really has to pick up it;s game to avoid being an negative experience. 32inch Imac, 32-60inch 2160p TV/Media Mac (with graphics card slot for both IMac and Media Mac) Mac Mini with PCIE16 card slot, Mac Mini TV with full digital TV recording. Mac books with Direct X 10 level GPU (for games and video coding acceleration) and embedded PCIE slot for upgradeable graphics. All priced competitively enough against cheap equivalent HDTV's/Monitors sizes, and PC variants. All these things make an big difference in an range, even makes an market leader an market leader.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #3
New Boot

They have used the "Meet The New Macs" for a lot of events now. I wouldn't think that they are going to roll out any new stuff right now.
Kevin Laster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Normally they roll out in the first half of the year, but basically the Iphone this year. Intel is rolling out soon, so we might see upgrades?
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #5
Major Player

I am waiting for the update as well...come Apple, it's been too long! I really would like an iMac, but I really do not want a Duo processor. Intel has a Core 2 Quad out now, so I hope Apple adds that to iMacs.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Yeah, what about the delay on Leopard, it is said to be much better in performance, and better than Vista, are they trying to give MS sales.

I would love an 37inch+ 4mpixel+/8mpixel Imac. What they need, if they don't have it already, is user upgradeable PCIe video card and media cards, processor/motherboard to keep your investment current (an happy six year run for the user, rather than an miserable six year decline). Mini Mac and laptops needs upgradeable video and media cards too (they could just design an Min that plugs onto the back of an Mac monitor). We are still waiting, Nec or somebody has an TV with PC in it.

Heres an interesting one, what about an Imac/Mini based on PS3/XBOX360 (he he), or the MacOSX Leopard for the PS3, TV.
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Major Player

A iMac/Playstation? Now that's a big wish...

I wonder... could it actually happen? Could we make it happen? Call it the MacStation and over a six month period we create a series of fake reports all over the place ...

MacRumors -
"An Anonymous third-party game developer was told by a guy he met at a bar a mile up the street from Apple Campus that the MacStation is a DONE DEAL!"

AppleInsider -
"Kaz Hirai was spotted at a San Jose TGIFridays laughing with Steve Jobs! Clearly they were laughing about how much money MacStation is going to make them!"

HD4Indies -
"Dual-Quad Duo Dual Octo Core MacStation coming in December! Play Tomb Raider 8 while you batch render multiple 4K 24p 3D projects!"

All the while we are also releasing a bunch photoshopped images of MacStation Prototypes ... Someone playing G.T.A. on a MacBook... A cute Japenese girl playing Final Fantasy on iPhone, etc...

Then they'll just have to do it. Won't they? I mean isn't that how the iPhone got started?
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I remember talk of Mac OS for the Playstation, but forget wherever it was speculation or rumor. Sony has said they are open to have any operating system run on their machine. Sony has also touted making an business out of PS3 machines and computers, opening CELL to other makers, it is possible. Sony and Apple merging is probably a very good idea, one PS3 division, one PC devision, and one mac/PS3 devision (with Linux compatibility).

Still a compromise that would suit both companies. Sony makes money of game licensing, Apple sells the product, Sony provides the motherboard certified to PS3 anti-pirate level (with a couple of full PCIE ports for a hummer 3D card) and Apple the other components including the MACOS (Sony might provide display). The computer is a box that slots in the back of the 32-60 inch Display, and Apple may also sell an Intel box as well.

The Cube. Apple and Sony both sold different ones, but what about if Apple sold an version that was PS3 compatible with an Intel 80 cored front end processor (the one they are testing at 43watts at the moment) and an heap of CELLS. Lets see, 20cm, 40cm cube case, 80cm cube case, 1.6m cube case. Seems like potential for MS/Intel all over again.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51