XL2 release and compatibility guesses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old May 15th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #1
Major Player

XL2 release and compatibility guesses

Hello all,
(Will try this again... my previous thread attempt just vanished.)

I was just wondering about anybody's best guess as to whether or not an XL2 will be compatible with XL1s lenses (seems like they'd be nuts to not go that route), and if anybody had heard any more about a release date besides the short blurb of pixelmonger.com.

After months of research into a Powerbook (a year ago), and after being assured that what I wanted just wasn't available in a Powerbook, I plunked down my money. Eleven days later the new ones came out with everything I'd asked about/been searching for. I was out of luck. Needless to say, now I'm a little spooked about big purchases. No doubt par for the course in industries where technology marches on so fast, but thought I'd ask.
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:04 PM   #2
Wrangler

I think the last guess was, yes, it would be compatible with the XL lense series.
Old May 16th, 2003, 02:29 AM   #3
Wrangler

As long as it is an XL series camera the lenses should work, although if the CCD size changes it could present an issue. And not clear if the current lenses would be satisfactory if the next model is HD or native 9x16.

Recall that the Canon L1 and L2 used the same lenses, but they changed the lens mount with the XL1 series - in part due to the change in CCD size.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:48 AM   #4
Major Player

If the mount changes, there may well be an adapter (Canon or third-party) for older lenses, similar to the current EF lens adapter.

The compatability of those lenses with new CCDs is, as Don suggests, open to question. Since no one knows what direction the XL2 will be taking, it's pretty much impossible to say what the CCDs will look like.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:00 AM   #5
Warden

The adapter would probably cost almost as much as the lens. Simple mechanical adapters are relatively cheap to make. However, the XL mount requires electrical contacts to pass power and data. By moving lens out from the body (the adapter can't be infinitely thin) the focus will change and close focus capability will decrease. If an optical relay is incorporated into the adapter (so close focus capability stays the same) the price will go up. Similar adapters (no electrical components) cost $500 to $800USD. The adapter could incorporate a tele-convertor instead of a relay. This would preserve the close focus capabilities. The tele would multiply the focal length by a minimum of 1.4 and would increase the aperture by 1 stop, increases the DOF, and wide angle capability would be lost.

My best guess is that if the camera is to improve in the areas Don mentions, I doubt existing lenses could be used.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:27 AM   #6
Major Player

If the XL2 were to improve over the XL1(s) in the way Don suggests, the big question would not be could you use the older lenses, but why would you?
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:03 AM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Nigel Moore : If the XL2 were to improve over the XL1(s) in the way Don suggests, the big question would not be could you use the older lenses, but why would you? -->>>

(arghhh, the thread I was typing disappeared again... what the heck?!)

You're right, Nigel. I don't want to plunk down for them, then have to buy more, which is partly why I started this thread. Think I'll hold off buying it for now. Had thought of all sorts of options for what I have in the works, since I want two cams eventually, this one being demoted to B cam later, when the XL2 does finally surface. (Will hunt around for any hints at Show Biz Expo next month.) Have considered just about everything in the XL1s price range, on down. But given that color correcting is such a pain, think I'd be smart to stick within the same family of cameras to blend them easier. And instead of breaking the bank for all I need as I get this project underway, think I might pick up a GL2 instead of the XL for starters (and instead of a Sony or Pani, etc.). My thinking is the color spectrums will be more likely to match better that way, when blending A and B cam footage, even if the XL2 is HD, 24P, DVCam, or whatever. And then I'll have two different size bodies to play with. The XL series is a little large to shoot in some of the places I've shoehorned myself into in the past.

Thanks all. As always, you guys are a great source of info!
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #8
Permanently Banned

IMHO, I think that the XL1s replacement will be HD. I think that this years NAB was the last event when SD camcorders were introduced. The current lenses will probably not be sharp enough to take full advantage of the increased camera resolution.
Joseph George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #9
Trustee

<<<IMHO, I think that the XL1s replacement will be HD. I think that this years NAB was the last event when SD camcorders were introduced.
The current lenses will probably not be sharp enough to take full
advantage of the increased camera resolution.>>>

I *hope* that the next XL1 will do HD, and I completely agree w/ Mr. George that
Canon *video glass* does NOT have near enough resolution to make crisp HD
images. In the XL2 wish list, I asked for Canon to make their 35mm glass
work in their next generation (hopefully without or minimal magnification
issues).
Old June 7th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Anybody have any news about the next Canon "XL" camera?

http://advaloreminternational.com
Victor Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #11
Major Player

Processing HD will be quite expensive in the chain of production.

HD decks, and HD input card and HD aware NLE's will be a very expensive all around upgrade.

I think the money is that the XL2 would come in as a SD camera. Maybe they will make a new line that has HD, but i don't think it would be the XL-1S direct successor.
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 10:57 PM   #12
Slash Rules!

Wouldn't it be HD the way the new JVC is HD, that is, compressed to fit on a minidv tape? And isn't the newest version of Vegas HD aware? It looks like in the project properties, some of the formats being "1080i" or something.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #13
Major Player

This from Ron Billup site:

"Canon will introduce the XL2 by the end of 2003 and even though the JVC will throw up more pixels, the new XL series will blow it away with its native 16 X 9, third generation chips (3 instead of JVC's single chip), multiple frame rates (including 24P and more importantly 30P ), much lower compression and most importantly ... the ability to use a manual lens. "
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #14
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Belics : This from Ron Billup site:

"Canon will introduce the XL2 by the end of 2003 and even though the JVC will throw up more pixels, the new XL series will blow it away with its native 16 X 9, third generation chips (3 instead of JVC's single chip), multiple frame rates (including 24P and more importantly 30P ), much lower compression and most importantly ... the ability to use a manual lens. " -->>>

I've got $50 that says this doesn't happen.
Old June 8th, 2003, 12:24 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Dylan
What doesn't happen? The features, or the release date? I have confidence in the features listed... that seems to be the consistent rumor. But the release date is more likely to be Aug 2004... right?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51