Samurai Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old March 24th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Samurai Problem

I've had my Samurai for two months and apart from some ignorance on my part I've found it a great piece of equipment.... that was until yesterday!

I was filming in the morning and broke for a five minute break. Samurai was mounted on the front shoe of my EX3 and the camera on a tripod waiting to be used for an interview. I had just checked all the footage I had short that morning which looked great, and off I went.

On my return I went to get ready and noticed the play and record options on the display were in the 'off' state. Alarm bells rung. I got my laptop, took out the disc unit from the Samurai and popped it in the drive....
"this disc is unreadable by this computer" was the message.

Some how the disc had become corrupted and was unreadable....panic then part relief as I had been shooting with cards as backups.

I am now looking for an answer to the problem as you have to be totally confident in the recording media you are using. If anyone out there can shed any light on this I, and I am sure all other users and prospective users would like to know about any pitfalls or problems working with this unit.

I have contacted the help desk at Atomos which looked like a good system and am now awaiting a reply. I will post what they say.

I want to make it clear I really like the Samurai and its workflow and I realise that problems do happen but when you are in a situation where a second take is not an option you really have to have a 100% confidence in your kit. Thats why I want to get to the bottom of this problem.
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

update

For those interested I managed to recover all the files using a little nifty £6.99 app from the App Store called Disk Drill. Now thats what I call value for money. Now I've only used it once but it might be an app that if you use Disk based recording systems you might want to consider having just in case.
Old March 24th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Samurai Problem

Eric...was this a 'Samurai' issue or a HDD or SSD issue? I don't know if it matters too much, but where you using an Atomos 'approved' HDD or SSD?

I'm not throwing rocks, jus' asking.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi
Im not sure what caused the problem, thats why Im posting on the forum as potentially loosing a whole mornings footage is nothing short of a disaster.

The drive is a WD on the recommended list though Im going to switch to Hitachi from now on just to factor the drive issue out as far as I can.

Normally when I'm shooting with the Samurai I format the drive before I start the days filming, on Friday however I was a bit rushed and forgot! Now was that was a factor? Im not sure.

As I previously stated the whole unit was just sitting there quite happy when the problem arose. I have since upgraded the firmware to 2.8, as I was right in the middle of a shoot when I became aware of the update and I did not want to take that risk.

Just to reiterate, my reasons for posting here is to see if other users users have had a similar problem to help find out what the solution is. Im in no way knocking the Samurai as I think it is a really great product.

It may well work out to be a drive problem, but at this stage its up in the air.
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Trustee

never mind

Last edited by Buba Kastorski; March 27th, 2012 at 07:08 AM.
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Major Player

Eric...I understand. I certainly don't want to cast aspersions, however, did 'someone' (AD? ) maybe mess with when you weren't looking. Jus' say'in. I'm sure no one would 'fess-up'.

Regards,

J.
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi There
I was on my own at the time waiting on a couple of people I was about to interview, so its still a bit of a mystery. The upshot is Atomos have taken the decision to replace the unit. They recon they would like to run some tests to rule out a hardware/firmware problem which to me sounds a good move. From my point of view and other users its great when a company like Atomos puts the interests of their customers uppermost. It really gives one confidence.
Old March 27th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Major Player

Eric...Roger-That! I've said it before, I'm pretty impressed with Atomos' whole attitude towards the 'user' community. They are listening to the working professionals with whom they have a vested relationship.

If you don't mind, please keep the 'group' informed as to any updates with your issue. I know we're all interested.

Thanks,

J.
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #9
Major Player

I have just recently purchased the system and have a big shoot coming up soon so will be putting its through its paces.

I am PC based and my partners are Mac.
Anyone any prefernces on the Avid or Apple Codecs??
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi
Well as I am mac based and the Samurai records in ProRes I alway shoot and edit in ProResHq, which makes for such an easy workflow with no need for any transcoding. I suppose to answer your question, it may depend upon how you intend to edit, using FCP or Avid.
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Eric.
I am a Adobe Prem user myself,

I just wanted to know if their is any difference between the Apple or Avid Codecs
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Nah, they are basically the same and you will be hard pressed to see any differences in quality or NLE performance at similar data rates

Sadly there is no news, when DNXhD will be available on the Samurai.
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Regular Crew

The latest up date on my Samurai problem tells a fairly frustrating story. I still have the original unit and while the initial problem of the disc not being recognised has not been repeated, there have been other very glitchy problems that include; the unit freezing when selecting the play review option, while recording in monitor mode the screen flashing rapidly, the unit not responding to either the off button or the play button. As I have previously said when the unit works its fantastic and a real time saver, but working with a piece of kit that you don't have 100% confidence and is pretty glitchy is not great. I was promised a replacement a few weeks ago but the whole issue has become bogged down in red tape in that as well as involving Atomos it now involves the supplier and an intermediary who both want to have some kind of input. I have to say Im finding it a bit frustrating, for at the end of the day the unit I purchased in good faith is not performing as advertised. For those interested i'll let you know the eventual outcome. Just to clarify the unit has the most up to date firmware, and is using discs and cables as recommended. The camera its being used with is a Sony EX3.
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #14
Major Player

Eric...what 'Firmware' version are you using?

Regards,

J.
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I am using the most up to date V2.8 I have now entered the wrangling stage... I say there is a problem with the unit..... they say after testing it...its fine, so we shall see. I in the mean time are trying to earn a living using a piece of equipment I don't fully trust. I plan with my second camera to film any incidences where faults occur and post them on Vimeo for comment.
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun