Secure erase function using Inferno firmware update 8.31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old July 7th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Secure erase function using Inferno firmware update 8.31

So, I downloaded the very latest available Atomos firmware for my Shogun Inferno. Says so right on the Inferno's Info page when I look to make sure it was correctly updated.

I'm using a San Disk Extreme Pro 480 GB card and I can easliy fill it over a couple days of shooting at 240 fps in 2KRAW--was hoping that v. 8.31 was going to reveal a new button or two that would allow me to erase unwanted clips from the SSD with the Inferno.

As it is, anything that I want to erase must await plugging the SSD into my editing computer, which is very often not nearby.

Anyone have some advice about this?
Lee Flippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Secure erase function using Inferno firmware update 8.31

If the functionality doesn't exist, then it simply does not exist.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for that insight, Gary.

Does anyone else here who owns and uses a Shogun Inferno have any understanding of the Secure Erase function that is alleged by Atomos to be a new upgrade in firmware update 8.31 ????
Old July 9th, 2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Secure Erase means you can wipe the drive and the content can't be recovered.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It zeros all the bits on the flash chips at once. Where old methods are limited by the transfer speed of the interface, this straight up sends a voltage to all the flash chip cells to reset to 0.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:46 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks to those who replied.

Here is a bit of follow-up from an Atomos rep, who basically confirms the point that Gary and Jack made, i.e., "Secure Erase" wipes the entire SSD. Unfortunately (in my view) the Atomos firmware does not allow a user to selectively erase individual clips from an SSD while it is still mounted on the Inferno:
-------------------------------------------------

Hi Lee,

The Secure Erase function is an alternative way of formatting the SSD. This option should be available in the Shogun Inferno's "Format Media" menu when using a compatible drive.

There is currently no way to erase individual clips on the SSD using the Shogun Inferno.

Regards,

Randel
Old July 22nd, 2017, 12:33 PM   #7
Major Player

My guess would be that while erasing single clips would obviously free up some space, manufacturers may be reluctant to provide that feature because it could limit the write (recording) speed of the SSD. If you check the specs of the SSD, you'll probably find that the 'Sequential Write' speed would be higher than a 'Random Access Write' speed. Anything that potentially limits the write speed could have a negative impact on data write reliability. By forcing you to eliminate everything on the SSD, they can ensure that it will be written to sequentially (and most reliably.)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 12:38 PM   #8
Trustee

I notice that there is no way to erase single clips on other recorders I have used - BlackMagic Video Assist 4K being the one I use most - and the suggestion above seems plausible to me.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 05:30 PM   #9
New Boot

As Colin said, Dave's point makes a lot of sense. Thanks for responding everyone.
Old August 1st, 2017, 05:06 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
My guess would be that while erasing single clips would obviously free up some space, manufacturers may be reluctant to provide that feature because it could limit the write (recording) speed of the SSD. If you check the specs of the SSD, you'll probably find that the 'Sequential Write' speed would be higher than a 'Random Access Write' speed. Anything that potentially limits the write speed could have a negative impact on data write reliability. By forcing you to eliminate everything on the SSD, they can ensure that it will be written to sequentially (and most reliably.)
You hit the nail on the head. Selectively deleting clips introduces fragmentation, and by setting everything to zeroes all at once, you can more reliably guarantee the sequential write speed advertised by the drive.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun