Connecting Atomo Ninja Flame & D800 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old February 22nd, 2020, 09:52 AM   #1
Tourist

Connecting Atomo Ninja Flame & D800

Hi there

I am trying to connect my Atomons Ninja Flame to my D800.

Everything powered up, Liveview on, HDMI connector in the Ninja HDMI 'In'Port.

But the Ninja says 'No Input'.

Should the D800 automatically output to an HDMI device? Do I need to change any settings (had a good look already).

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Graham
Graham Machray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2020, 11:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Connecting Atomo Ninja Flame & D800

I own the flame but I use it with a different camera. I’d first confirm a video signal is coming out of the camera by plugging it into a tv. Once that is established then I set the camera to 29/1080p. Atomos can be very picky about what video specs they’ll accept (resolution, frame rate, progressive or interlace). Some times the Atomos will need to restart to establish a connection.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2020, 11:47 AM   #3
Tourist

OK. That sounds a good idea. Just tried the same with a D4 and same outcome - 'No Input'.
Old February 23rd, 2020, 06:32 AM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I own the flame but I use it with a different camera. I’d first confirm a video signal is coming out of the camera by plugging it into a tv. Once that is established then I set the camera to 29/1080p. Atomos can be very picky about what video specs they’ll accept (resolution, frame rate, progressive or interlace). Some times the Atomos will need to restart to establish a connection.
Pete/everyone

Thanks for the suggestions.

The camera HDMI output works with the TV, but the Ninja still shows not input even with adjusting the resolution, frames, progressive/interlaced. I also tired connecting it powered down, the switching it on.

At the moment there is no indicatiion that the Ninja sees the D800, which can output HDMI successfully.

Could it be a firmware/software issue?

Thanks

Graham
Old February 23rd, 2020, 08:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

First make sure it’s for the correct country. PAL Flame won’t work with NTSC camera or vice versa. Obviously make sure it’s plugged into the hdmi Input port. I also turn the camera on first then the Atomos.

The flame menu should be configured correctly. I believe it can be set to auto in or specific resolution, so if it’s set to 4k it won’t recognize your camera. I’d also make sure both the camera and Atomos firmware is the latest.

If all of that doesn’t work contact Atomos customer service to troubleshoot and confirm your camera is compatible with the Flame. Possible defective. Did you buy it new?

Best of luck, I know these issues are frustrating.
Old February 23rd, 2020, 09:47 AM   #6
Tourist

Have resolved the problem.

It appears the unit was defective. Was an ex-demo device that had been connected to too many devices for its own good.

Wex Photographic in London very kindly swapped it out for a replacement with no problems, and I am sat here recording at 1080, with no problems at all.

Now trying to workout how to shoot at 4k, but that is a different problem!

Pete - thanks for the feedback. As ever, keep sweating the problem, there will be a resolution somehow!
Old February 23rd, 2020, 11:48 AM   #7
Inner Circle

got it resolved great.

I have a 4k camera and sometimes use the Flame to record. I mainly use it because of the excellent monitor and histogram for exposure.
Old February 25th, 2020, 03:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Graham Machray;1957532]Have resolved the problem.

Now trying to workout how to shoot at 4k, but that is a different problem!

Er...the D800 doesn't shoot 4K but you already knew that didn't you?!
Patrick Baldwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun