Panasonic SD9 footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old February 28th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #1
Trustee

Panasonic SD9/HS9 footage

http://www.hd.club.tw/thread-6580-1-1.html
The link is in the first post with the word H264 in black.

http://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php...#37;3D1&page=3
Top post in this page.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; February 28th, 2008 at 11:39 PM.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Paulo, took a look at the motion video (H264). Wow, that's some torture test you put the camera through!

Considering it's a consumer camera, I'm impressed with how it handles high detail; the mp4 lacks the typical busyness I would expect from detail aliasing. Is that true for the original?

Also, the OIS looks very impressive. Or were you using a stabilizer?
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:23 AM   #3
Trustee

These were clips that I found online.

Seeing that the 294MB file is 24p, I could tell that he removed the pulldown and most likely converted to QuickTime.
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Trustee

Is it just me or does there seem to be a big improvement in picture quality between the SD9 and the SD5? The SD9 is looking very good! The Japaneese clip of the woman in the park and at food stands is really outstanding. Very little noise and tons of detail. I tried to get that into Ulead Stuido 11+, but it didn't like that file. Never had that before.

I was never that wowed with the SD5 because of its limited dynamic range. These clips may not show that problem is solved, but they do look very good.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Trustee

Just visit this and every other page in this thread for samples.
http://www.dvworld.com.tw/forum/dvfo...0&pagenumber=4
Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Major Player

I find no links with h264 in them.

Is there another place where I can located some 24p footage?
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Trustee

On HD Club, I can see that the poster replaced it with a bigger file and this time its in the WMV/VC1 format. It’s still in the first post but instead of having H264, you’ll only see these characters in black 直接下載. Its right above [ 本帖最後由 912 於 2008-3-2 18:03 編輯 ]. Just right click and save as.

From DV World, A lot of the video clips are posted by user 912. Just look for the http://www.mediafire.com/ file sharing links.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Trustee

I had access to an SD9 over the weekend and find it to be the Jekyl & Hyde of the HD camcorder world. In good light the picture quality is indeed amazing. Colors are gorgeous, resolution is first-rate and clarity is breathtaking. The noise levels are also extremely admirable in this same good light.

But boy oh boy do things go south in relatively low light. Here I'm talking about typical incandescent lighting in an average home. That incredible sharpness during the day now takes on a look as if vasoline has been rubbed over the lens!

It seems to me that Panasonic made a decision to reduce noise to the point where very few would find it objectionable. However they did that at the expense of detail....all the detail! I'm talking almost sub-VHS quality here guys.

It's almost impossible to believe that a cam that produces such razor sharp images during the day can turn in to such mush at night! No matter what tweak I tried (Magi Pix, slow shutter etc.), nothing brought back the detail.

What a pity! Now if you're willing to use a good light, you might well be able to side step this issue entirely, but for good low light video this cam demands a light.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:07 PM   #9
Trustee

I’m glad 912 exported to VC1 because I can finally play that music video on my PS3 unlike that supposedly QuickTime file that was originally on the site.

Ken Ross, are you willing to upload some files?
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Trustee

Paulo, I don't have the files as the camera was a friend's and we simply were doing some A/B comparisons with my HV20 with no computer involvement.
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #11
Trustee

Watch.Impress review of the HS9

Original Japanese:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...5/zooma348.htm

English Translated:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...2fzooma348.htm
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
That incredible sharpness during the day now takes on a look as if vasoline has been rubbed over the lens!

It seems to me that Panasonic made a decision to reduce noise to the point where very few would find it objectionable. However they did that at the expense of detail....all the detail! I'm talking almost sub-VHS quality here guys..
I finally found an SD9 clip on the net that shows the vaseline affect to some degree. I'm not sure I'd quite call it sub-VHS quality, but it certainly was pretty dull. What the footage reminded me of is loading in RAW files from a digital camera with no processing. Everything in the system - the camera lens, the imager, and the anti-aliasing filter - has a lowpass response. Raw files loaded with no processing tend to have that vaseline look until you apply a bit of USM at some point. Virtually all digital cameras (and camcorders) add at least some sharpening to the processed images.

Nobody except Panasonic can know for sure what they are doing, but I suspect that in addition to some kind of non-linear noise reduction, they are also reducing or eliminating the in-camera sharpening, giving the image that look.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion