Canon HG 21 or Sony SR11 for EX1 B-cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old October 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon HG 21 or Sony SR11 for EX1 B-cam

I am still trying to figure out which of these cams will mix best with 30p from the EX1. The upside to the Canon seems to be better manual controls, 24mbps speed and 30p. Downside is I need to have a custom housing made with manual controls for water shooting.

On the Sony side I already have a dive housing with controls for Sony and I can get a splash pak for surface shooting.

Ultimately I am looking for the best footage to mix with my EX1. Need to purchase soon. Any one shot with the HG21 or can speculate which camera is a better choice I appreciate info

Thanks
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I choose CANON HG21... It has more controls and unbeat 24f and 30f in my opinion its the best feature and the sony aparently hasnt...

The camera is beautiful, small.. The battery isnt so good. I think the sony could be better... But i bought and extra long last battery pack...

The image quality is excelent, and the built-in microfone is very good...
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I would compare the color rendition side by side before deciding - if post CC is a big pain, it could negate any upsides. I haven't shot with the HG21, but I know that I found the HV20 (2-3 generations old of course) did not play well with the Sony cams I had... then again I'm still not an expert at CC...

My first instinct since you've got the housings for the Sony, that's the way to go. I render to 24p in post with the SR, and it looks fantastic. If your NLE can output the different formats, I don't see the big advantage to having it "in camera".

Other advantages to the SR would be bigger LCD and a VF...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #4
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
I would compare the color rendition side by side before deciding
Excellent point. My friend has an EX1 and I the SR11, and they are alike in color -- which makes sense given the chips come from the same company.

However, the HG21 seems like it may be the best AVCHD camcorder to date. With 24Mbps you finally "should" get a better pix than you can from HDV. In theory it should be near XDCAM.

About CC -- I've found I need to CC everything from the SR11. Until the SR11 I'd never used a consumer camcorder and I was shocked how inaccurate its color is. Very pretty pix, but not very accurate. And, no camera adjustments. The Canon does offer limited adjustments.

But, you'll likely wind-up CCing the cheaper camera no matter which you buy.
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
I would compare the color rendition side by side before deciding - if post CC is a big pain, it could negate any upsides. I haven't shot with the HG21, but I know that I found the HV20 (2-3 generations old of course) did not play well with the Sony cams I had... then again I'm still not an expert at CC...

My first instinct since you've got the housings for the Sony, that's the way to go. I render to 24p in post with the SR, and it looks fantastic. If your NLE can output the different formats, I don't see the big advantage to having it "in camera".

Other advantages to the SR would be bigger LCD and a VF...
Dave i have never got around to rendering and making 24p[25p here] with my cam and i dont think my software will do so,love to see a short bit as standard followed by some 24p converted.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Still looking for people who have recently purchased the new HG21. Trying to figure out if there is any significant difference in the quality between this and th SR11/12
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM   #7
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dasher View Post
Still looking for people who have recently purchased the new HG21. Trying to figure out if there is any significant difference in the quality between this and th SR11/12
I think we are waiting for you to tell us. :)

Seriously, Costco.com has the SR11 and HG20. You can buy both and try both for 90 days. My hope is that by Xmas they'll have the HG21 in stock because with a VF it really is a different model.

My guess is that both deliver equal QUALITY, but as I remember you want the best MATCH to your EX. From my experience writing my book on the Sony, you'll need to CC the footage from it because the EX is VERY accurate and the SR is not. (The SR is biased toward red.) I suspect the same is true of the Canon as it's the nature of consumer camcorders.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
I think we are waiting for you to tell us. :)

My guess is that both deliver equal QUALITY, but as I remember you want the best MATCH to your EX. From my experience writing my book on the Sony, you'll need to CC the footage from it because the EX is VERY accurate and the SR is not. (The SR is biased toward red.) I suspect the same is true of the Canon as it's the nature of consumer camcorders.

Just curious, where did you find that the SR is biased towards red?
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #9
Major Player

If anything my SR/12 is biased a bit towards green not red[perhaps no two cams are the same]even from the same model.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #10
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kraus View Post
Just curious, where did you find that the SR is biased towards red?
For example, shoot "white" in AWB (for example, on a sunny day) and use a vectorscope to see the signal. The signal should be centered in the scope. Usually it will be off-cente toward red.

Repeat for AWB and MWB in other situations. For each you see which way the error goes.

The SR generally has red push. Which means you typically need to remove the push.

But, there is also a phase error (hue) which you need to correct for skin tone.

You may also want to slightly lower color saturation.

Thankfully corrections are EZ to do with most CC filters.

I cover all these situations in my book.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; October 24th, 2008 at 04:34 AM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Okay Steve

I am going to Costco today. I have been looking around locally to find one for some hands on testing.

I was checking out the SR11 hooked up to a big plasma at a local chain store, It seemed fairly noisy with retail store indoor lighting. 95% of my shooting with this cam will be outdoor but I was surprised by the amount of noise I witnessed. Went through the menu and tried to see if I could clean it up a bit. Still could not get a picture I was happy with.

Coming from a PD 150 and EX1 background maybe I am spoiled. I expect that outside/better lighting these AVCHD cams will have a cleaner signal.
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Charles, you have to be careful "testing" on "store" displays... You have no idea if the min wage slave had the tiniest idea of proper hookup/setup/optimization... probably not, or he wouldn't be wearing that blue or red "uniform"... improper setup can make anything look like doo-doo.

I shoot the SR11, and I've yet to hit a situation that I would describe it as "noisy". Other than trying to shoot in rediculously low light (where you need to compensate your exposure or choose a preset, or live with "SD" quality), it's pretty good - adding a small on cam light will pull excellent video quality in most indoor low light situations (20 watt or so minimum though). Outdoors it's a peach.

Yeah, it's not an EX, but then again at the price... and try stuffing an EX in your coat pocket.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #13
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dasher View Post
Okay Steve

I am going to Costco today. I have been looking around locally to find one for some hands on testing.

I was checking out the SR11 hooked up to a big plasma at a local chain store, It seemed fairly noisy with retail store indoor lighting. 95% of my shooting with this cam will be outdoor but I was surprised by the amount of noise I witnessed. Went through the menu and tried to see if I could clean it up a bit. Still could not get a picture I was happy with.

Coming from a PD 150 and EX1 background maybe I am spoiled. I expect that outside/better lighting these AVCHD cams will have a cleaner signal.
I was suggesting buying both at Costco -- not trying to test them in the store for the reasons Dave listed.

How did the HG20 look?
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #14
Regular Crew

My Costco did not have the HG20/21 nor did BB. I miss the days of the PD 150/TRV 900 combo. That was a nice mix for the action sports producer. The EX is just to heavy to shoot while swimming in the surf. I will still be on the look out for some hand on testing of the HG21
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Regular Crew

The HG-21 is Great! Great image quality (in outside is awesome!!) i think is a good choice...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion